Not open for further replies.
Some photos from Monte Carlo.

Novikov's M-Sport Fiesta:

38086310150608695118083.jpg

Tanak's M-Sport Fiesta, with a new bumper after he crashed during testing:

395566_3073828643674_1202401106_33308337_956845964_n.jpg

And Latvala:

38721310.jpg

And Matthew Wilson may not start the rally. It begins later today, and so far he has no sponsor, no testing and no shakedown.

Whilst I was checking that on wiki I found out that Lotus are rallying their Exige N-GT on all tarmac rounds http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/12/lotuss-rally-spec-exige/
Yeah, I posted that a while ago. I'm actually the one who added it to the Wikipedia page. However, the Lotus won't be appearing in Monte Carlo - the Exgie R-GT has not passed homologation.

I've got to say, the trio of M-Sport Fiestas - Tanak, Novikov and Delecour - all look absolutely fantastic.

Anyone have any idea what happened to Ken Block this year? I'm guessing he lost funding.

Anyone have any idea what happened to Ken Block this year? I'm guessing he lost funding.

Found this online:

"Ken Block shed some light on his plans for 2012 recently and it appears he will be cutting back on his WRC appearances. Although he wouldn’t to commit to much of anything, he did make it clear he will be participating in as many Global RallyCross events as possible and will be limiting the time he spends on the WRC. This is somewhat sad news as he seemed to be making big strides scoring points in 2 WRC events near the end of the 2011 season, but it really doesn’t surprise me too much. I have speculated that Ken might be done with WRC altogether, but it does appear he will make at least a couple appearances next year.

Another confirmed event for the Monster World Rally Team is one that Block has had a lot of success at in the past, Rally America 100 Acre Wood. He has won that event 5 times in his career, with his last win coming in 2010, as he sat out the event last year. My guess is that he will then make the trip down to WRC Mexico which is right after 100 Acre Wood. Block also said that he would like to compete in the full Rally America championship, but some of the dates conflict with the Global RallyCross schedule. Hopefully one of those 2 organizations will move their schedule around, as it would be disappointing for drivers and teams to have to choose between the 2."

That's a little disappointing. Block may not have been ultra-competitive - apparently when he first pitched the idea of joining the WRC to his sponsors, he said "we're going to get out asses kicked" - but he did do a lot for the sport in terms of increasing its profile and appeal, particularly in America (we really need an American WRC round; Denver would probably be a good place for it, or maybe upstate New York). Colin McRae is probably the only person who has done more for it.

I just asumed it was a superspecial tonight but the rally proper has actually started:
Code:
Pos  Driver              Team/Car            Time/Gap
 1.  Jari-Matti Latvala  Ford                45m54.4s
 2.  Sebastien Loeb      Citroen              + 30.5s
 3.  Petter Solberg      Ford                 + 40.8s
 4.  Dani Sordo          Mini                 + 44.1s
 5.  Mikko Hirvonen      Citroen            + 1m04.0s
 6.  Sebastien Ogier     VW Skoda           + 1m10.9s
 7.  Evgeny Novikov      M-Sport Ford       + 1m17.1s
 8.  Mathieu Arzeno      Sainteloc Peugeot  + 1m35.7s
 9.  Francois Delecour   M-Sport Ford       + 1m49.3s
10.  Pierre Campana      Mini               + 2m11.0s

Edit: Highlights are on Eurosport tonight at 10.00PM (UK)
Edit 2: Full stage times and standings here: http://ewrc-results.com/results.php?e=3363&t=Rallye-Monte-Carlo-2012

Last edited:
Thierry Neuville and Mattieu Arzeno have both gone out too, both were looking fairly good on the first few stages.

Code:
Leading positions after SS4:

Pos  Driver             Team/Car        Time/Gap
 1.  Sebastien Loeb     Citroen       1h30m30.1s
 2.  Dani Sordo         Mini           + 1m04.2s
 3.  Petter Solberg     Ford           + 1m05.2s
 4.  Sebastien Ogier    VW Skoda       + 2m21.1s
 5.  Evgeny Novikov     M-Sport Ford   + 2m26.5s
 6.  Mikko Hirvonen     Citroen        + 2m30.0s
 7.  Francois Delecour  M-Sport Ford   + 2m49.9s
 8.  Pierre Campana     Mini           + 4m09.7s
 9.  Ott Tanak          M-Sport Ford   + 4m14.0s
10.  P-G Andersson      Proton         + 4m33.8s

Eurosport haven't actually got the TV deal yet according to: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97083 but the TV listings for Eurosport this evening say:

"22:00 World Rally Championship
Rallye Monte-Carlo: Day One
Highlights from the opening day of the Rallye Monte-Carlo, the first event of the 2012 seasonSport/Rallying"

I'm confused

Eurosport haven't actually got the TV deal yet according to: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97083 but the TV listings for Eurosport this evening say:

"22:00 World Rally Championship
Rallye Monte-Carlo: Day One
Highlights from the opening day of the Rallye Monte-Carlo, the first event of the 2012 seasonSport/Rallying"

I'm confused
I think they may have a temporary deal in place to make sure Monte Carlo gets broadcast while they work on a more-permanent solution.

Good effort by Sordo... I'm really hoping for more success from the Mini's this year.. or at least Sordo's anyway, I suspect the performance of the second car will be pretty desperate. I know it's early days, but the Mini seemed pretty quick in the right hands, it would be good to get strong results early on, maybe pick up a decent sponsor and get Meake back in the other car. I also wouldn't mind BMW stumping up some more cash for Mini Motorsport in the first place.

Day 2 - 2012 Rallye Monte-Carlo, Mikko admits all good but only problem is him. Has he lost the Wow factor? lets hope not...

He is just getting used to the new car/team, also he's never been a Monte Carlo ace (2010 doesn't really count since IRC is not on the same level).

Yess the Dutchman (Kevin Abbring)makes it into the top 10!!

Verry good for him,young talanted driver who has been chosen by VW(together with Ogier) to drive the S2000 skoda this year in preperation for next years polo...

Go you flying Dutchman!!

Spy.

Yess the Dutchman (Kevin Abbring)makes it into the top 10!!

Verry good for him,young talanted driver who has been chosen by VW(together with Ogier) to drive the S2000 skoda this year in preperation for next years polo...

Go you flying Dutchman!!

Spy.

Only half the rounds though, Mkkelsen is parternering Ogier for the other half. I reckon the best performer will get a Polo WRC for 2013.

Only half the rounds though, Mkkelsen is parternering Ogier for the other half. I reckon the best performer will get a Polo WRC for 2013.

Yeah thats correct,still very good drive from him,lets see who makes it!!

:)

Spy.

You know, out of all I think what's stealing my attention now is the Proton which is currently running in 9th and the best S2000 car still running. I didn't expect the Proton to be that good honestly...

I'm hoping Sordo can hang on and do well this year so BMW may see the advantage in keeping their WRC program

I'm hoping Sordo can hang on and do well this year so BMW may see the advantage in keeping their WRC program

Should be able to, only 5km left and the gap is almost 20 seconds.

btw Andersson's great rally ended with a small fire:grumpy:

Certainly nice to have a longer rally than usual, and I have to say it makes me want to play WRC 2 :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back