WRC Season ArchiveRally 

• Thread starter richiem2282
  • 1,720 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin Clark, @voiceofrally just tweeted:

"Sadly now confirmed Becs and I will not be doing radio this week. Big thanks to Rally Sweden organisers for trying to find solution"

So no World Rally Radio with Colin and Becs for Sweden... is there no end to this misfortune in WRC in sight???

As someone trying to understand the ever adapting rules of WRC, can someone explain running order tactics? From what I understand various surfaces make it better to run first, whilst others are better to run last. There is a new qualification session in place to dictate first choice, and this is then reversed on day 2.

But why is there so much confusion and tactics around it all? Also read Ford are considering putting customer drivers ahead of rivals to slow them down, but isn't that dependent on Citroen / Mini choosing running order towards the back anyway?

Generally speaking, if you're first on the road, it's a disadvantage because you are "road sweeping". There is usually a loose layer of gravel over the road, and the first cars through the stage clear that away. The more cars that pass over the stage, the more loose stuff that gets removed. This exposes the harder-packed layer underneath, which is faster. Therefore, it's generally better to be pass through the stage later rather than sooner (although in some cases, cars constantly travelling over the stage carve ruts in the hard road surface, slowing later cars down), which is why we saw tactics in play last year - the drivers would stop and let someone else take their position so that they were forced to sweep the road the next day.

Yesterday night I was flipping through channels quite drunk and half asleep when suddenly rally was on! I thought it would be hard to find coverage now with the crisis about the media company going bankrupt and whatnot but I saw really good footage of the first day of rally swe and today I found a capture of some live coverage of the second day, can't wait to watch it.

This season is going to be really interesting from a personal point of view since Hirvonen is in the same car as Loeb (and Loeb even took notes of Hirvonen's setup. I guess even the master has a thing or two to learn about rally), and I think Hirvonen is still better when it comes to the loose stuff and now is the perfect time to find out for sure. Really happy to see Latvala leading aswell since I think he deserves wins and needs the confidence to get consistent runs without mistakes. He has the pace but often he ends up making mistakes which you just can't afford when racing against Loeb, Hirvonen and Sordo.

Damn.. suddenly I'm really excited about all sorts of different types of motorsport for this year. 👍

Last edited:
Latvala and Petter have both had punctures, 2 stages to go Latvala leads Hirvonen by 8.4s, Ostberg is up to 3rd 25.4s ahead of Solberg

Gonna get exciting this. :) Gotta not look at news or this thread so I can watch the day's highlights tomorrow.

PG Andersson still leads in the SWRC category by over 2 minutes with his Proton. I'm honestly impressed with the Proton's performance in this cold condition...

:lol: couldn't stay away even 5 minutes. Had to open WRC radio and live splits for the last stage. I still can't understand there's no way to get actual live video coverage of this. Last year's monte carlo had brilliant live coverage, I just wish we could get that for every rally.

I feel like I've stepped 10 years into the past when I'm listening to this on the radio and frantically waiting for numbers to appear.

Edit: http://bambuser.com/v/2362709 here's the only stream I found.

Last edited:
PG Andersson still leads in the SWRC category by over 2 minutes with his Proton. I'm honestly impressed with the Proton's performance in this cold condition...

Yet he's 2 minutes behind the best S2000 car, Ogier's Skoda.

Yet he's 2 minutes behind the best S2000 car, Ogier's Skoda.

I'm aware of that but considering that he's over 3 minutes in front of the 2nd place man in SWRC class, it's still something that I'm proud of.

It's a Proton, being able to do something like this is something that is rarely seen before. Usually they're slow and had a lot of reliability problems but seeing this car doing so well in a cold Sweden is an achievement.

Kenny from the Block returns. This is his new livery:

HFHV_3quarter-Front_L.jpg

Mexico List released

Sébastien Loeb, Mikko Hirvonen, Jari-Matti Latvala and Petter Solberg head the Entry List for Rally Mexico, just released.

In all 16 WRC cars line up for the 8th running of the rally as a WRC event under the 2012 title Rally Guanajuato Mexico: they also include Ott Tänak, Evgeny Novikov, Nasser Al-Attiyah, Thierry Neuville, Henning Solberg, Mads Østberg, Armindo Araujo, Paulo Nobre, Ken Block and Chris Atkinson, the 2 latter making welcome returns, Block in the first of his 3 WRC outings this year and Atkinson paired with Stephane Prévot after putting the deal together to compete.

No Matthew Wilson, of course as he recovers after surgery on his broken ankle, sustained before Rally Sweden.

The big news is the 2 Mexican drivers in WRC cars - Ricardo Triviño in a Fiesta RS WRC and Francisco Name in a Prodrive MINI WRC. Rally Director Patrick Suberville very proud of this:

"I'm very happy. A record number of WRC cars in our event - we've never had so many. And it's amazing for us in Mexico: just 9 years after we began as a WRC event, we have 2 Mexican drivers in WRC cars."

A slightly disappointing turn out in PWRC - Kosciuszko, Guerra, Linari and Karlsson of the declared regulars. Triviño of course would be among their number had he not been driving a WRC car.

Declared 2012 PWRC Entrants have to do 6 of the 8 possible rounds: Monte Carlo, Mexico, Argentina, Greece, New Zealand, Germany, Italy and Spain, so expect a big turn-out in PWRC in Argentina in April.

:rolleyes:

Some people really need to learn tolerance, I'm not a Block fan but him running WRC surely doesn't hurt anything.

:lol::lol::lol: Is that you being tolerant? I even stated it was IMO...
Just for the record I dont have anything against him and I think that he is very talented just not in Rallying...
Cant I have my own opinions? or is that against your concept of tolerance?

North One Sport owes creditors over £14m

Administrators for the collapsed North One Sport, the former global promoter of the FIA World Rally Championship sacked by the FIA last month, have filed liquidation documents with UK Companies House showing potential creditor claims of over £14m, and potential assets of less than £1.7m.

Some of the biggest creditor claims in the documentation include Pirelli, with over £435,000 apparently owed and North One Television listed with over £2.8m, while the collapsed Convers Sports Initiatives plc, which was controlled by North One Sport owner Vladimir Antonov, is listed as being owed £8.1m.

Mr Antonov is expected to re-appear in court in London next month. Lithuania is seeking his extradition for questioning over missing assets at Snoras Bank, which he also controlled. Mr Antonov has denied wrong-doing.

A number of WRC Events are also listed among the creditors, along with media and other service providers.

:lol::lol::lol: Is that you being tolerant? I even stated it was IMO...
Just for the record I dont have anything against him and I think that he is very talented just not in Rallying...
Cant I have my own opinions? or is that against your concept of tolerance?

He's had plenty of success in rally stateside. WRC is a whole 'nother ball game, so it's reasonable for him to have some issues getting used to it. Doesn't help that they also had several mechanical failures.

Some up to date news for you guys:

VW completes full-spec Polo test:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21022012/58/vw-completes-full-spec-polo-test.html

----------------------------------------

Atkinson gets Monster Ford outing:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18022012/58/atkinson-gets-monster-ford-outing.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQgmdHzqtqA

Portugal Rally - Sordo, Sandell get nod for Portugal:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20022012/58/portugal-rally-sordo-sandell-nod-portugal.html

Rally Mexico starts 2 weeks from today, should be a good one:

http://www.wrc.com/news/rally-mexico-attracts-bumper-world-rally-car-entry/?fid=16144

👍👍

Just for the Block Fans out there, Rally America posted this on their FB page. I do find it a bit funny though the way they promote Block's 6th Consecutive Win of the 100 Acre Wood Rally, I mean its not like he's up against guys like Loeb, Latvala, Solberg etc... Enjoy

Ken Block WINS the 2012 Rally in the 100 Acre Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back