WRS'ers and their ride...

Bloody hell Casio...

I guess that's what happens if you let Greg drive too often?

Can you deliver the Cordoba? If so you've found yourself a buyer. :D

Bloody hell Casio...

I guess that's what happens if you let Greg drive too often?

Can you deliver the Cordoba? If so you've found yourself a buyer. :D

To be honest, I never actually drive it hard, engine wise. I've probably only hit the limiter half a dozen times, always only when it's warm and for only for a second (Usually, the can I reach 100 in 2nd, stuff). I know it's too slow to bebothered racing anyone in it.

Although if we're talking about going off-road, then yeah, it's probably the most hard-driven Cordoba around. Which is why I had a brain flash.

2239596.jpg

OR

2285646.jpg

Greg, possibly terrorising a neighbourhood near you.

---

Although, during my searching, I came across this, literally 4 minutes from my house.
2309381.jpg

*Ties up Greg before he does something stupid*
...but I'll be the coolest guy on campus...
*Gags Greg*

Unleash Greg. That is, if he can afford... You wouldn't catch my alter-ego looking at Rav4s and CRVs.

Actually, I don't see why I should buy that Cordoba. Our car has the same basic specs, but is a little more intact - if you ignore our thief-absorbing dent all over the right side :lol:

Although, during my searching, I came across this, literally 4 minutes from my house.
2309381.jpg

*Ties up Greg before he does something stupid*
...but I'll be the coolest guy on campus...
*Gags Greg*

Oh s:censored: Greg no...Please don't tou...

*Holds head in hands*

Whatever you do...DO NOT let Greg anywhere near that thing, he'll have someones eye out!

Parked next to my work mates car today and felt a wee bit intimidated...

dsc00714cb2.jpg

dsc00715aa5.jpg

Imagine if I had a head on with that thing....scary stuff....

Not all records, but I have documentation from the last few which shows a lot of service work done & alternator swap, timing belt modifications and it has brand new tyres. Has had some nice work done inside, the door handles, locks, handbrake lever, gear knob & ignition surround have all been redone in brushed aluminum. It also has new speakers & an Alpine CD deck. Some other very cool touches are that the Fuchs wheels are almost like new, and the valve caps even have Porsche logos on!!!

Mileage as shown is definitely not genuine. It shows just over 74000.
However CARFAX report shows 110000 before it got an odometer swap which took it back to 33000. Everything between that & current seems Kosher though, so I'm looking at a 160000 mile car. Which for 26 years old isn't bad. Common thing with 911s though, the odometer breakdowns as the original older odometers only show up to 85mph and people tend to get them replaced by 180mph ones from the later models! (Makes sense as the car is clearly capable of an awful lot more than 85mph!!!)
It needs a little attention to the paintwork in a few places, but has no rust at all, there's a couple of worn patches on bits of the interior such as door pockets, although the seats look good, and the Targa top has split in all the usual places, i.e. right where it folds up, and needs to be re-covered, which can be done for about $500.
Nice thing is, a couple of grand spent will greatly improve the car's looks, but mechanically it seems sound, and at 26 years old it has depreciated about as much as it ever will, unless I put 1000s of miles on it! It's only been insured for 5000 miles per year, and I've dropped the Miata's coverage to that too, since we've only done 16000 miles in the Miata in the 3 1/2 years we've owned her.
It's a totally different driving experience! Feels very heavy for the size of the car, but that's because there's no power steering! It's monstrously fast compared to the Miata, but it has to be manhandled through the gears where the Miata you can flick through the short-shift box in no time at all! Hey, that's what 14 extra years of refinement and Japanese engineering will get you! The long clutch travel and long gear lever make fast, precise shifting much trickier than the short clutch and short lever of the Miata, but then that's the joy of driving an old car!!! 👍 The rumble of the engine coming from behind you is just phenomenal!! :)

Although I'm just getting over the fact that the engine takes 15.7 quarts of oil!!!! :eek: That's damn near $150 of Mobil 1 per oil change!!! :ouch:

Long time ago I posted my car somewhere in GTP but I can't find it anymore so here goes...
I used to have one of these back in 2001

Loved it. Then traded it in for this in 2004.

Also very nice but I must admit, the luggage space of the TT is far far better and more practical.

/off topic/
I'm getting a bit of a trading-in itch though and am considering either a very young 911 or Cayman or a new 350Z. Suggestions?

AMG.

Rob.
Dont get the 350z.
Why in the hell would you want a french car with an anglo/americano/franco/japanese engine in it that sux.

With your wheel skills, its got to be a 911 all the way.

Besides, it will give you and Nick something to talk about at SFGTP4 or 5 or whichever one you go to.
Just my 50p..
:irked:👍

I just couldn't trade a SLK AMG for a 350Z.
I recently saw VBH do a review of the 350 and she still says it is one of her favorite cars. However, I just couldn't stand going from a car that looks as good as the SLK (IMO) to a car like the 350.
I'd definately consider the Cayman S though. :mischievous:

Which reminds me to once again congratulate you on the purchase Smallhorses. The car might be as old as I am but it certainly aged much better. :sly:

Long time ago I posted my car somewhere in GTP but I can't find it anymore so here goes...
Loved it. Then traded it in for this in 2004.

Also very nice but I must admit, the luggage space of the TT is far far better and more practical.

/off topic/
I'm getting a bit of a trading-in itch though and am considering either a very young 911 or Cayman or a new 350Z. Suggestions?

AMG.

having been a very happy and comfortable passenger in your car Rob, i beg you not to get rid of it. Unless you wish to donate it to someone with a style all of her own when it comes to cars. You would also save me from more pointed jokes about my pleasure for Honda Beats! What will i pose in at the next lan if you replace it?? :nervous:

Although I'm just getting over the fact that the engine takes 15.7 quarts of oil!!!! :eek: That's damn near $150 of Mobil 1 per oil change!!! :ouch:
Sounds like a good purchase to me, and probably a good deal too! But DAYUM, does it REALLY take that much oil?! Where does it hide it all?! That's probably why it's so heavy in the back... Haha.

AMG.
Coming from that, you just can't go all the way down to the 350Z... It's a cool car, but no where near, by any stretch of the imagination(other than actual performance numbers, maybe) as good of an idea as the Porsches...
Why in the hell would you want a french car with an anglo/americano/franco/japanese engine in it that sux.
Woah, what's wrong with the VQ!? That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say something not pleasant about Nissan's series of V6s...?

... i beg you not to get rid of it. Unless you wish to donate it to someone with a style all of her own when it comes to cars.....
My dear, I love you very much :), however my brain says that its a tad over the top to just give away the AMG. I've got a nice nest egg but not THAT big. :ill:
Also the AMG is LHD, which renders it useless in the UK. Yeah yeah lets hear your excuses ;)
Don't worry it'll still be there at the Ocho. The itch can easily last a year.

The AMG was also a bit of a "midlife" crisis purchase :sly:. If my brain had its way a Sukuzi Alto or a Smart would be a more logical choice to buy seeing as 90% of my driving is town driving. Run & Maintain and depreciation are quite formidable. A 350Z would be less expensive.

@ VEXD, would you mind explaining your statement, It might just help me decide.

AMG.

Don't sell your AMG yet, AMG. I would love to steal EXelero's seat for a few minutes :sly:

What do you want different from your current car, AMG? More luggage space and a car that draws less attention. What more?
A Porsche would be the summum ofcourse, but is still expensive to run and own. Driven the new TT already? What about a used Z4?
I've never really liked the 350Z. It's heavy with 1500+ kgs and it's equipped with a terrible sounding engine. Maybe I should drive one... :P

If I were you I'd plan some testdrives first. Before you sold your car, you're probably a few months further :)

Not sure exactly what VEXD was reffering to with his reply but it could be in relation to a nissan-renault relationship (sp?).
Also, just like everyone else here (so far), I'd say that AMG is the best of the bunch only worthy of trade for something like a Cayman S.
That SLK just looks incredible. :D

As for a Z... :confused: I've heard they don't come with good exhaust (and I've seen many with Borla systems installed around my campus).

We didnt have to guess who it was rolling up to UKGTP7 when AMG arrived for very long.

I think the convo went something like.....

"who's that over there.... they just pulled into the carpark....."
"isnt that an AMG SLK?"

"thatll be AMG then.... i wondered where he got the inspiration for his name..."

"doh!"

or something....

Kent, VEXD was referring to the nissan-renault amalgamation that has spawned some curious vehicles, including the 350z, which is shunned by a large number of original Z owners of the Datsun kind... not least for its poor sounding engine.
There simply is no contest between it and a porsche, the build quality, ride, handling, power on tap, resale value, colour options, marque history....

Too many things to list but i will point out the most obvious.

For a good example of what is wrong with the 350z, you need look no further than the door handle.
Spend countless millions in development, using wind tunnels and the like to hone a shape that is both attractive and functional and will definitely shift hundreds of thousands of units... then take the handles off a SMEG fridge (nothing wrong with those fridges mind...) and ruin your whole original idea with one click of the mouse.
Whoops
:irked:👍

Woah, what's wrong with the VQ!? That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say something not pleasant about Nissan's series of V6s...?
That 3.5L V6 engine can barely get away from my chipped 2.0T with no other mods (~245 hp on 91 octane). It's faster to 60 mph, but 1/4 mile is close to a draw. My gas consumption is also way better. I just don't understand how a 3.5L V6 engine only puts out 306 hp when BMW can pull out 343 hp out of a 3.2L I6 (M3 CSL is even more powerful). It's a cool engine, and I personally love the engine note, but Nissan should be able to do better.

My money would be on a Cayman S, just like Kent said, blows the doors off the 350Z and looks so much nicer.

We didnt have to guess who it was rolling up to UKGTP7 when AMG arrived for very long.
I think the convo went something like.....
"who's that over there.... they just pulled into the carpark....."
"isnt that an AMG SLK?"
"thatll be AMG then.... i wondered where he got the inspiration for his name..."
hmm, yes that is indeed how it went, thx for the memories 👍

For a good example of what is wrong with the 350z, you need look no further than the door handle.
You're right, I very much liked the car because it very much looked like the TT I had at the time, but that door handle uggh :yuck:

AMG.

I just don't understand how a 3.5L V6 engine only puts out 306 hp when BMW can pull out 343 hp out of a 3.2L I6.

I've highlighted the reason. It's easier to extract power from the engine the smaller the angle. Drawback of an inline engine is the COG. Drawback of V-type engines is the vibration, which increases as the angle is larger.

I've highlighted the reason. It's easier to extract power from the engine the smaller the angle. Drawback of an inline engine is the COG. Drawback of V-type engines is the vibration, which increases as the angle is larger.
Thanks for the explanation Gingiba. Can the same principle by applied to a flat 6 engine? It has the biggest angle of all at 180 degrees.

That 3.5L V6 engine can barely get away from my chipped 2.0T with no other mods (~245 hp on 91 octane). It's faster to 60 mph, but 1/4 mile is close to a draw. My gas consumption is also way better. I just don't understand how a 3.5L V6 engine only puts out 306 hp when BMW can pull out 343 hp out of a 3.2L I6 (M3 CSL is even more powerful). It's a cool engine, and I personally love the engine note, but Nissan should be able to do better.

My money would be on a Cayman S, just like Kent said, blows the doors off the 350Z and looks so much nicer.
Eh... You're experiencing the joy of turbos. Your car probably has as much or more torque than the 350Z for one thing, and your car may weigh less(what car?). Is the one you're playing with the 306hp version? I TOTALLY understand how Nissan can put out a 306hp V6 for less than $30k while BMW can put out a 343hp(333 vs 300 in the US for 2006) for JUST under $50k... I sure hope BMW squeezed more power out of their motor... The BMW motor is just a higher strung NA motor, that's all there is to it. It has less torque down low, gets worse gas mileage, and isn't as driveable. Nor will it last long. Oh, the BMW weighs more than the 350Z too.

I'm pretty sure the BMW won't run away from it too fast on the race track either... And complaining about the exhaust note is pretty pathetic when you compare the cost of getting a new exhaust system with getting a car that costs almost twice as much. Not to mention is German and will leave you with nasty bills if you ever decided to keep the car for a few years instead of just 1, 2, or 3.
I've highlighted the reason. It's easier to extract power from the engine the smaller the angle.
Eh, where did you learn this? The difference in power here is strictly the amount of money devoted to extracting power from the engine, and the amount of miles they expect the engine to live. ;) The latest Porsche 911 GT3 pulls 415hp out of its 3.6L flat-6 engine, while getting better(by one mpg) gas mileage than the BMW. And I bet the Porsche's engine won't suffer from failure/oil consumption like the BMW engine does. But that'll cost you at least $106,000.

As I said - smaller angles cause less vibrations, making it easier to push the engine to higher RPMs. Of course, if you tune it for hours a flat engine will be just as powerful - I just said it's easier. Naturally, it has drawbacks as well such as lack of torque.

Call me slow but it was my understanding that torque was related to stroke length and compression, So the shorter the stroke the faster you can rev. Companys use big engines to reduce costs ie less need to balance and tune the engine if you make it bigger.

Eh... You're experiencing the joy of turbos. Your car probably has as much or more torque than the 350Z for one thing, and your car may weigh less(what car?). Is the one you're playing with the 306hp version?
The car is a 2007 VW GTi, weighs about 60 Kg less than the 350Z. The weight difference really isn't that big for the difference in power. FWD also doesn't help. And no I haven't played with a newer 306 hp 350Z, and don't plan to. It wouldn't go very well (unless I do some more little modifications) :P

I TOTALLY understand how Nissan can put out a 306hp V6 for less than $30k while BMW can put out a 343hp(333 vs 300 in the US for 2006) for JUST under $50k... I sure hope BMW squeezed more power out of their motor... The BMW motor is just a higher strung NA motor, that's all there is to it. It has less torque down low, gets worse gas mileage, and isn't as driveable. Nor will it last long. Oh, the BMW weighs more than the 350Z too. I'm pretty sure the BMW won't run away from it too fast on the race track either... And complaining about the exhaust note is pretty pathetic when you compare the cost of getting a new exhaust system with getting a car that costs almost twice as much. Not to mention is German and will leave you with nasty bills if you ever decided to keep the car for a few years instead of just 1, 2, or 3.
Here in Canada a 350Z is $50K, which is roughly about $48K USD. So for that amount of money, I would expect more engineering prowess instead of taking the engine from an Altima and increasing the output a little. The fuel consumption I didn't know about, that was good info, but for the rest... I think you might be a little biased Kyle, but I could be wrong. Did you ever have a problem with a German car? Is it personal experience or hearsay. If you know how to maintain a car and take care of it, you won't get nasty bills. But I'm sure you already know that. I've got personal experience with two German cars, one is a '95 and other a '98. I also wasn't saying anything bad about the VQ35 engine so I don't know why you had to go on the defensive and try to bring down German cars on the whole. I even said it's a cool engine and that I personally love the engine note. When I said they could do better, it was in terms of power per displacement. The 306 hp version is most likely the best yet and I definitely wouldn't mind taking it for a spin.

The car is a 2007 VW GTi, weighs about 60 Kg less than the 350Z. The weight difference really isn't that big for the difference in power. FWD also doesn't help. And no I haven't played with a newer 306 hp 350Z, and don't plan to. It wouldn't go very well (unless I do some more little modifications) :P

Here in Canada a 350Z is $50K, which is roughly about $48K USD. So for that amount of money, I would expect more engineering prowess instead of taking the engine from an Altima and increasing the output a little. The fuel consumption I didn't know about, that was good info, but for the rest... I think you might be a little biased Kyle, but I could be wrong. Did you ever have a problem with a German car? Is it personal experience or hearsay. If you know how to maintain a car and take care of it, you won't get nasty bills. But I'm sure you already know that. I've got personal experience with two German cars, one is a '95 and other a '98. I also wasn't saying anything bad about the VQ35 engine so I don't know why you had to go on the defensive and try to bring down German cars on the whole. I even said it's a cool engine and that I personally love the engine note. When I said they could do better, it was in terms of power per displacement. The 306 hp version is most likely the best yet and I definitely wouldn't mind taking it for a spin.
Well, I'm a mechanic... There are so many complicated parts in newer cars(not just German, but the Germans get a little carried away usually) that aren't designed to last. We have an A6 that needs a torque converter after 48,000mi. We had an '06 Jetta with less than 25,000mi on it that had something random fail with the clutch. Door seals fall off of E46 coupes. Window regulators fail. Tons of little things that shouldn't be going wrong, go wrong, and they're very rarely cheap to fix/replace. Either because of what's needed to access the part, and/or how much the part costs in general.

I may sound biased, but really I was just trying to say that the 350Z is not a bad piece of machinery by any stretch of the imagination. Especially for the price. You say it's $50k there, but how much is a new M3 in comparison? How much was your GTi by the way with your chip?

If they slap a turbo on there they'll be doing much better in terms of displacement... ;-) Your car has direct injection, and a turbo, it damn well be making some decent numbers for its size. They're nice engines, for sure.

The Nissan 350Z / VW GTi is probably the same debate, just in higher scale, as the battle fought between the Downsized economy engines (VW TSi, Fiat T-Jet) and their NA counterparts.

Latest Posts

Back