• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 11 comments

RACECAR

Owner/Promoter/Organizer/Driver/ETC
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
Just heard on Radio Le Mans that the WTCC will race in North America Next year. Infineon raceway has been chosen as the place for it to happen.

News on this can also be found here

I'm stoaked, nothing else to say đź‘Ť

Seems strange that they've chosen Infineon over COTA.

I'm assuming they wanted to choose something more established for their first attempt and with the amount of big name series that have been at Infineon, not too bad a choice.

Seems strange that they've chosen Infineon over COTA.

I'm assuming they wanted to choose something more established for their first attempt and with the amount of big name series that have been at Infineon, not too bad a choice.

Perhaps Infineon is more affordable for a first venture into the States compared to COTA.

I would thought the most probable reason is that COTA is only going to be ready in 2012, probably just in time for USGP. This doesn't give much room for other series to run until after the GP, which hasn't been dated yet.

Maybe they are planning on slotting the WTCC race early in the calendar to fit with the South American rounds? Perhaps as a 1st race? It would help transportation and general logistics costs compared with say, holding the race between European rounds.

Just a shame WTCC is only visiting the US now, when its in a decline.

Racecar

I like Infineon, but it's strange (imo) that we get an announcement like this just now when there's a lot of buzz centered around COTA. Tavo Hellmund will probably be trying to get as many big name series to sign as possible.

I would thought the most probable reason is that COTA is only going to be ready in 2012, probably just in time for USGP. This doesn't give much room for other series to run until after the GP, which hasn't been dated yet.

Maybe they are planning on slotting the WTCC race early in the calendar to fit with the South American rounds? Perhaps as a 1st race? It would help transportation and general logistics costs compared with say, holding the race between European rounds.

Just a shame WTCC is only visiting the US now, when its in a decline.

You make a valid point about the track not being ready in time. I have a feeling that the 2012 US grand prix will be towards the end of the season. Maybe before Brazil, but in future, it may make sense to have it a week or two from the canadian grand prix... Then again, If F1 went with what makes the best sense logistically, we could have a few more grand prix, and the teams and "away" crews would probably still have easier lives.

You make a valid point about the track not being ready in time. I have a feeling that the 2012 US grand prix will be towards the end of the season. Maybe before Brazil, but in future, it may make sense to have it a week or two from the canadian grand prix... Then again, If F1 went with what makes the best sense logistically, we could have a few more grand prix, and the teams and "away" crews would probably still have easier lives.

F1 does go with what makes best sense logisitically, why do you think most of the European rounds are held one after another?
The only difficult races recently are Canada and Brazil because they are far away from everywhere else and Bahrain/Abu Dhabi because they paid for the privilege of being the first/last race.

If you look at this years F1 calendar you'll notice it does a neat little circuit round the world (except for Canada).

I suppose they've decided on Infineon because its a tried and tested track. I imagine if COTA proves itself as a good racing track, then it could move there, or at least do it bi-annually (like the German Grand Prix).

F1 does go with what makes best sense logisitically, why do you think most of the European rounds are held one after another?
The only difficult races recently are Canada and Brazil because they are far away from everywhere else and Bahrain/Abu Dhabi because they paid for the privilege of being the first/last race.

If you look at this years F1 calendar you'll notice it does a neat little circuit round the world (except for Canada).

I'm sure that they could find a route that makes better sense logistically.

Should just be the first leg in the far east, then the middle east, Europe and then Canada and Brazil. But the rich countries in the middle east(Bahrain and Abu Dhabi) want to make as big a deal as possible about it and have there races as first and last of the year.(not this year, mind you)

Should just be the first leg in the far east, then the middle east, Europe and then Canada and Brazil. But the rich countries in the middle east(Bahrain and Abu Dhabi) want to make as big a deal as possible about it and have there races as first and last of the year.(not this year, mind you)

Well that was at least the intent this year, but things didn't work out that way.

Back