• Thread starter Omnis
  • 10 comments

Omnis

Not Even A Real Mod
Staff Emeritus
United States
Application hell
MP-Omnis
Palermo v. Catania riots -- Anybody have any information on this? I can't find much on the web about what started it and the news here only mentioned that a police officer died.

Italian soccer stops after policeman's death
Sat 03 Feb, 12:24 AM

ROME (AFP) - All Italian football matches were suspended after a 38-year-old policeman was killed when violence flared during and after the Serie A match between bitter Sicilian rivals Catania and Palermo.

The policeman was named as Filippo Raciti while another officer was believed to be seriously injured.

Hundreds of people were hurt as fighting continued after the game.

As a result of the tragedy, the Italian football federation (FIGC) announced that all matches, professional and amateur, scheduled for this weekend would be cancelled and that the suspension was likely to be indefinite.

Next week's friendly international between Italy, the World Cup winners, and Romania in Siena was also called off.

Football federation (FIGC) chief Luca Pancalli said that the suspension of the matches could last longer and the matter will be discussed next week.

"One day is not sufficient," said Pancalli. "Without drastic measures, we can't play again.

"We will immediately set up a commission to discuss the situation between sport and politics. Its not possible to carry on like this. If this is football, then Im stopping everything."

He said that he would meet with Italian prime minister Romano Prodi on Monday.

"Football in Italy must stop and take stock. Enough is enough," said Pancalli.

"I cannot find the words to describe a 38-year-old man who lost his life in such a way. All the football authorities I spoke to agreed that we had to stop everything. This is completely unacceptable."

Sergio Campana, the head of the players association in Italy, demanded a longer suspension.

"I think that faced with these events, football should stop for a year and see if we can change our whole approach to sport," said Campana.

Raciti was hit in the face by a homemade bomb thrown from the crowd.

He died at the Garibaldi Hospital in Catania.

Palermo won the game 2-1 but the highly-charged Sicilian derby was overshadowed by the violence.

Later Friday, nine Catania fans including four minors, were arrested, reported the ANSA news agency.

However, none were believed to be in connection with the death of Raciti.

Friday's game had already been brought forward to because of fears over public safety. But even an early kick-off did nothing to quell the unrest.

The game was suspended after an hour when tear gas, used by police to halt the trouble, drifted onto the field.

Adding to the problems was the fact that Palermo supporters were unable to get into the Stadio Massimino until the second half.

Palermo took the lead after 55 minutes when Andrea Caracciolo scored from a pass from Mark Bresciano.

The goal coincided with the arrival of the Palermo fans. It was also the cue for the trouble to start.

Reports claimed that fireworks were lobbed into the area where the Palermo supporters were sitting. They fought back and tear gas made it impossible for play to continue.

The two teams fled the pitch for the dressing room with the game suspended for 30 minutes.

Within 60 seconds of the restart, Catania equalized through Fabio Caserta.

Palermo's winning goal in the 83rd minute was controversial with David di Michele finding the back of the net although Catania claimed the ball came off the striker's arm.

Catania president Antonio Pulvirenti blamed Palermo fans for the violence.

"Clearly the incidents were provoked by the Palermo fans when they entered the stadium," he said.

"Before then, nothing had happened, but they started causing trouble and as the images show threw tear gas on to the pitch."

Not surprisingly, Palermo coach Francesco Guidolin blamed Catania fans for the violence.

"We won the match, but we cannot enjoy this victory. Football cannot last for much longer like this. There will be no joy in it," said Guidolin.

Ironically, Friday's match had been preceded by a minute's silence in memory of Ermanno Licursi, a director of amateur team Sanmartinese who died last Saturday following crowd trouble at the end of their match against Calabrian rivals Cancellese.

Italian prime minister Romano Prodi warned that football in the country needed radical surgery if it was to stop the violence.

"My first thoughts are for the people affected by the violence and their families," said Prodi who backed the decision by the Italian football authorities to call off matches.

"It is the right signal and is necessary to avoid the degeneration of the sport."

Taken from http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/03022007/3/italian-soccer-stops-policeman-s-death.html

Football in Italy is in a shocking state (apart from the fact they won the world cup!) Crowd violence. Match fixing. They've got all the bad bits right there.

Match fixing.
The incident involving Juventus, Milan, Lazio, and Fiorentina was resolved and the FIGC severely castigated the teams mentioned above so that we can avoid these type of scams in the future.
You don't have to worry about match fixing anymore.

--------------------------------

As for the Catana - Palermo incident, I feel sorry for the family of the officer and the other 150 people who were injured. This type of behavior has got to end. A few years back, Milan's goalkeeper Dida, was hit by a flare when playing against Inter, since then, people were more calmed in matches between two rivals and there was less tension at the games. Now that "hooliganism" is starting to get back at the Serie A fans, I think the FIGC should suspend calcio for at least 2 or 3 weeks to settle every type of disruptive behavior for once.
We have probably the best calcio in the world and it's a shame that accident like these overshadow the core of a football game.

Fat lot of good that would do, fifa/uefa usually just fine them which is pretty much just a slap on the wrist punishment.

I was being sarcastic, we all know FIFA aren't capable of doing anything on a large scale that's right. If this had happened in England, all our teams would've been kicked out of Europe by now.

Don Vito, I wouldn't say we shouldn't worry about match fixing in Italy anymore, yes they'll more tightly monitored, but match fixing in Italy has a long history and I don't see it changing.

Sureshot
Don Vito, I wouldn't say we shouldn't worry about match fixing in Italy anymore, yes they'll more tightly monitored, but match fixing in Italy has a long history and I don't see it changing.
When you say "long history", how long and what history do you refer to? Perhaps you can mention some examples?

Don't forget Italian Club Football has always been in a bad state, for a while.
Can you elaborate on that? "Always" and then "for a while" ???

And what the heck is "Italian Club Football".

Mussolini liked to employ his own referees during his reigns in charge in Italy, the '34 finals being a prime example with a couple of referees being suspended.

Mussolini liked to employ his own referees during his reigns in charge in Italy, the '34 finals being a prime example with a couple of referees being suspended.
I don't know but as far as I knew, Mussolini.......died a good while ago. You just cannot bring how a dictator ruled calcio in Italy ages ago and compare it with TODAY'S FOOTBALL.

Fair enough, I got it wrong there's not as much a history as I thought.

Italian football does have it's problems. In England most fans can be trusted, not soo much in Italy. A linesman was hit on the head by a drum in a lower league game a few days ago too.

Something has to be done to stamp out the 'Ultra's', don't you think?

Back