X-Men 3

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anderton Prime
  • 157 comments
  • 6,092 views
Duke
SPOILER REQUEST:

Can somebody give me a decent synopsis of it?

Prof X talks to Dr. Moria McTaggert through the vegetable person that they were trying to transfer another's presence into. That's all. Very similar to Magnetos chess scene. The whole thing wasn't 15 seconds.
 
Yeah all he says is, "Hello Moira." To which she responds, somewhat aghast, "Charles?"

That's it. So much for the "Last Stand."
 
Anderton Prime
Yeah all he says is, "Hello Moira." To which she responds, somewhat aghast, "Charles?"

That's it. So much for the "Last Stand."
Yeah, there is no actual reference to the Astral Plane but those who know the story know how X could suddenly be in that empty shell of a body.
 
Duke
tanj dammit!

:lol: :lol: :lol: It's been a long time since I've heard (or read) that said. :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess that expression dates us both as old-timers.

FoolKiller
Later comics changed his history a bit to say that his claws were a mutation and actually bones that were lined with adamantium. This was added to make him still look cool with claws after Magneto ripped the adamantium out of his body in an attempt to kill him. This sudden change in history is one of the reasons I quit reading them. Even comic books have to have continuity.

Indeed, continuity was the best thing about the whole Marvel universe... even with the zillions of loopholes created by the insanely high proportion of time-travelling mutants and whatnot.

At least it's not like DC, where they threw continuity out the window for the "Crisis on Infinite Earths", and defy the laws of logic in their "Death of" storylines.

-----

Just watched it. Give it a 6/10. Good watch, but disappointing compared to #2 (probably 8/10) or even #1 (7/10).

A lot of stuff didn't make sense, true, and they completely butchered the storyline... though how they would have explained the Sh'iar, Phoenix destroying entire planets and extraterrestrial superheroes is beyond me. Still, given the limitations they had, they could have done a lot more with the script:

1. Scott's death was needless and poorly explained. It actually would have provided some interesting drama with Jean dead and Scott leaving, more in line with the comics. I understand the need to get him out of the way to set up the final scene, but that scene worked in the comics even with Scott there.

2. Bobby - Rogue - Kitty love triangle: utterly pointless. It would've been so easy to set this up without invoking this old fall-back. And it was never resolved either.

3. Errh, so we need a mutant army? Considering Magneto had enough power to land the Golden Gate bridge on Alcatraz island (although he only needed about half of it), couldn't he just have crushed the entire prison? No wait, no climax... or he could have just shredded a car or two into a kajillion little needles and killed all the soldiers in the courtyard... but then, no fight scene... ah, the irony... all this power, and the plot won't let him use it.

4. Did Mystique's cliffhanger get cut from the movie? Maybe they thought two cliffhanger scenes were more than enough. :lol:

-----

To be fair, some of the movie worked. Xavier's death was expected, but decently done. The fight in the forest, the Juggernaut-Shadowcat chase scene and the final scene with Phoenix (barring logical inconsistencies) all worked decently.
 
niky
Indeed, continuity was the best thing about the whole Marvel universe... even with the zillions of loopholes created by the insanely high proportion of time-travelling mutants and whatnot.
Nothing beats Cable's description of why he survived and Stryfe didn't in X-Cutioner's Song; "I survived, Stryfe didn't." Why bother with an explanation when you are desperate to bring back a popular character you just killed off?

At least it's not like DC, where they threw continuity out the window for the "Crisis on Infinite Earths", and defy the laws of logic in their "Death of" storylines.
You wouldn't be referring to the, "I died and now four new superheroes (well three and one villain) have appeared that have a mix of my powers and then suddenly I am back because Kryptonian robots stole my body and resurrected me," plotline would you?

Just watched it. Give it a 6/10. Good watch, but disappointing compared to #2 (probably 8/10) or even #1 (7/10).
Sounds about how I would rank it.

1. Scott's death was needless and poorly explained.
This happened because James Marsden was busy with Superman and so he wasn't really available for most of the shooting. Total traitor, not only did he switch movies, he switched brands.

2. Bobby - Rogue - Kitty love triangle: utterly pointless.
It was used as a catalyst for Rogue getting the "cure." But as you said:
And it was never resolved either.

3. Errh, so we need a mutant army? Considering Magneto had enough power to land the Golden Gate bridge on Alcatraz island (although he only needed about half of it), couldn't he just have crushed the entire prison? No wait, no climax... or he could have just shredded a car or two into a kajillion little needles and killed all the soldiers in the courtyard... but then, no fight scene... ah, the irony... all this power, and the plot won't let him use it.
You have to admit that the comics never really let him go insane either. He should be able to just wipe out everyone without a problem, but that would be boring.

4. Did Mystique's cliffhanger get cut from the movie? Maybe they thought two cliffhanger scenes were more than enough. :lol:
I am hoping the director's cut/special edition will have about 30 extra minutes to solidify this movie. It is possible that the DVD version will be ten times better.

To be fair, some of the movie worked. Xavier's death was expected, but decently done. The fight in the forest, the Juggernaut-Shadowcat chase scene and the final scene with Phoenix (barring logical inconsistencies) all worked decently.
Wolverine's berserker rage in the forest was possibly the best scene followed closely, in my opinion, by Beast's fighting in the final battle scene. It's a shame that Wolverine's true rage was finally shown in the worst of the three movies.
 
Watched this last night. They sure had me fooled with Vinnie Jones -Juggernaut. I kept thinking. "No way is he that big!!" I wonder what kind of outfit they used for his body to make him look so ripped like a massive body builder. I actually had to pause it and try to figure out if he was that huge or not. I finally realized it was some sort of outfit.
It was a decent movie but I thought it was a little on the slow side. The action really didnt pick up until the very end. I could easily watch it again but I dont think it is my favorite out of the 3.
 
Yeah I saw it at the cinema when it came out, I wasn't blown away but it was still pretty good. The second one is definitely the best IMO, nothing can beat that. Unless the fourth one has that Apocalypse guy in it :D
 
Yeah I saw it at the cinema when it came out, I wasn't blown away but it was still pretty good. The second one is definitely the best IMO, nothing can beat that. Unless the fourth one has that Apocalypse guy in it :D
An Apocalypse movie would be good, but the storyline would have to change a bit. Even in a superhero mutant movie a 5,000 year old Egyptian mutant may be hard to swallow.

I could definitely see them using the storyline to introduce Mr. Sinister, which is how Magneto and others fully regain their powers and then Angel might actually have a part by being transformed into Archangel.

The ending to this movie presents finality with Magneto being left harmless and multiple characters dying, but all dead characters were left in a way tat they could easily be brought back and there are enough lingering questions to bring everything back, especially if you start bringing in other powerful mutants.
 
Back