X-Men 3

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anderton Prime
  • 157 comments
  • 6,092 views
Swift
Yeah, I can't argue with your general point. But I find reviews of movies kinda like weather reporting. It's good for a general guide, but you're not going to know till you get through it. :sly:
Well, I am trying to plan to see this movie around going out of town for two days and my dad wanting to have a cookout sometime Monday (although not at his house. Who plans an event at someone else's house?). I am determined that I will see it this weekend. If not then it will be the first showing after work on Tuesday.

I've been a comic book geek my whole life and X-Men/Wolverine are my favorites. I intend to see this movie early enough to get it in the biggest screen the theater has. This has been what I have been waiting to see for this entire year. I know I will want to see others but if they wait until they are on DVD I won't care (the latest Superman trailer has me rethinking that though). This one is a must.

After seeing this then I can go into Transformers geek mode, as that is my must see movie for next year.


To sum up: No matter what the reviews say, I will be seeing this film. Any other movie and they will be a rough guide.
 
FoolKiller
After seeing this then I can go into Transformers geek mode, as that is my must see movie for next year.


To sum up: No matter what the reviews say, I will be seeing this film. Any other movie and they will be a rough guide.

I Agree and I Agree. Spidey 3 comes out next year too :sly:
 
Swift
Spidey 3 comes out next year too :sly:
You know what that movie needs: giant transforming robots. Well, just giant robots.

I think Sentinels may have a part in The Last Stand. Check out the bottom-right square on MSNBC's who's who page.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12841419/

Everything is better with giant robots.
 
They have got a part, they're in one of the trailers I think.
 
Swift
Yeah, I can't argue with your general point. But I find reviews of movies kinda like weather reporting. It's good for a general guide, but you're not going to know till you get through it. :sly:

I know what you mean... that's why I always use rottentomatoes.com as the tomatometer (compiled as a hit:miss meter from over a hundred newspaper reviewers) actually has some use:

If it's an action movie and only 50% of the reviewers like it... it's a cinch to be a good buddy movie.

If it's one of those blockbusters I've been waiting for, at 90%, it's a 50:50 chance of being crap

At 80%, I might just like it, because the movie, intellectually, went over the head of at least 20% of the reviewers :lol: Contrariwise, if it's a pop movie at 80%, it'll be so-so.

If it's close to 100%, it's got a big chance of being a no-miss movie.
 
live4speed
They have got a part, they're in one of the trailers I think.
Well, there is the video I posted that Hugh Jackman showed on "The Tonight Show" but rumor is that is a Danger Room sequence. While that is cool and all I want to actually see them hunting mutants, if they don't ruin the movie, of course.
 
This is another movie I am extremely excited to see!! I really liked the other 2 so I hope this is just as good. Dont know if I will see it in the theater or not but I would like to.
 
CAMAROBOY69
This is another movie I am extremely excited to see!! I really liked the other 2 so I hope this is just as good. Dont know if I will see it in the theater or not but I would like to.
Action + special effects = should be seen in a theater.

I mean, this isn't Over the Hedge where a smaller screen and sound system take anything away from it. General rule of thumb ofr me is thaif I am excited about a movie and it is an action/adventure with special effects I will go see it in the theater. Any other type of film will be just fine at home.
 
FoolKiller
Action + special effects = should be seen in a theater.

I mean, this isn't Over the Hedge where a smaller screen and sound system take anything away from it. General rule of thumb ofr me is thaif I am excited about a movie and it is an action/adventure with special effects I will go see it in the theater. Any other type of film will be just fine at home.
I have always enjoyed seeing movies at home a lot better than at a theater. I can crank it as loud as I want until the windows shake, pause when I want, eat when I want, and I dont have to smell some 12 year old kid next to me. ANd to top it off my girlfriend can sit naked next to me if I want. :sly: Doesnt get any better than sitting at home especially if you have a great surround sound set up. And we dont have to spend $16.00.
 
CAMAROBOY69
I have always enjoyed seeing movies at home a lot better than at a theater. I can crank it as loud as I want until the windows shake, pause when I want, eat when I want, and I dont have to smell some 12 year old kid next to me. ANd to top it off my girlfriend can sit naked next to me if I want. :sly: Doesnt get any better than sitting at home especially if you have a great surround sound set up. And we dont have to spend $16.00.
Well, once I get a HDTV I will probably change my opinion, but currently it is just a traditional old big screen with surround sound. I also try and go when others aren't as likely to be there.

I do have to admit that the new IMAX screen they put in that does some films in 3-D (Superman will be one) definitely increases the draw of the theater. Anopther draw has been the addition of a bar and grill to the theaters in my town. 👍 Alcohol at the movies. :cheers:

As for the other things you mentioned doing at home; distractions. I want to watch undisturbed. My wife has learned not to even talk on the phone in the same room. The TV just gets louder and louder until I can't hear her or she leaves. If she was trying to distract me it better be for something good. Just as a side note: I am the guy that yells at you to get of the phone when it rings in the theater.
 
Z
FoolKiller
Well, once I get a HDTV I will probably change my opinion, but currently it is just a traditional old big screen with surround sound. I also try and go when others aren't as likely to be there.

I do have to admit that the new IMAX screen they put in that does some films in 3-D (Superman will be one) definitely increases the draw of the theater. Anopther draw has been the addition of a bar and grill to the theaters in my town. 👍 Alcohol at the movies. :cheers:

As for the other things you mentioned doing at home; distractions. I want to watch undisturbed. My wife has learned not to even talk on the phone in the same room. The TV just gets louder and louder until I can't hear her or she leaves. If she was trying to distract me it better be for something good. Just as a side note: I am the guy that yells at you to get of the phone when it rings in the theater.
My girlfriend naked is a great distraction and I will easily pause a movie for "entertainment" if necessary. Mabey its because im not married but I always enjoy my girlfriend. :sly:
However I dont like distractions if I go to pay at a movie theater. Phones, talking kids, bla bla
 
CAMAROBOY69
Z
Mabey its because im not married but I always enjoy my girlfriend. :sly:
However I dont like distractions if I go to pay at a movie theater. Phones, talking kids, bla bla
Yeah, when you are married you quickly learn that nudity can mean nothing. Enjoyment has nothing to do with it.

Also, I used to work at a movie theater and I have learned that just calling someone out on being a distraction quickly stops them. But I also go when it is empty and make it look like I could be distracting to anyone near me. Just say things like, "I shouldn't have eaten those beans" or "I hope you don't talk all through this movie like last time." It is amazing how quick people move away.

Wow, and we are way off topic.
 
CAMAROBOY69
Z
My girlfriend naked is a great distraction and I will easily pause a movie for "entertainment" if necessary. Mabey its because im not married but I always enjoy my girlfriend. :sly:

Not that I disagree with Foolkiller but, marriage doesn't change any of what you wrote.
 
danoff
Not that I disagree with Foolkiller but, marriage doesn't change any of what you wrote.
That's part of the message I was trying to get across.
 
I saw it yesterday. It was good. it had some unsuspecting scenes. Didnt follow the comic worth a damn and i hated the ending. I still thought it was good though for the most part. I could tell though that it was directed by someone different.
 
Lol we are so off topic. :grumpy:

I went to go see X-men 3 last night and I thought it was a great action packed movie. 👍 Who else saw it? Lets start talking about it lol. :lol:
 
by the way for those who havent seen it and dont know this yet, stay till the end of the credits.
 
I saw this on thursday. I liked it, its quite a bad film, it has many problems. But it was very enjoyable.
We definately need a longer/directors cut of this on DVD, there was far to many characters that were wasted, mainly Rogue. Then there's the new characters, some good (Kelsey Grammer) & some utterly poinltess, i mean why did we need Angel?? he said about 3 lines.
I think you will either love or hate the ending as well.
So many things wrong with it, but i can look past these flaws, i liked it. Technically bad, but very entertaining.

7/10

I didnt see the bit at the end of the credits, but i have read what happens & it sounded kinda stupid.
 
555
I saw this on thursday. I liked it, its quite a bad film, it has many problems. But it was very enjoyable.
We definately need a longer/directors cut of this on DVD, there was far to many characters that were wasted, mainly Rogue. Then there's the new characters, some good (Kelsey Grammer) & some utterly poinltess, i mean why did we need Angel?? he said about 3 lines.
I think you will either love or hate the ending as well.
So many things wrong with it, but i can look past these flaws, i liked it. Technically bad, but very entertaining.

7/10

I didnt see the bit at the end of the credits, but i have read what happens & it sounded kinda stupid.

Wow, that's about it right there! 👍
 
I saw it yesterday, and the main thing that bothered me was that it didn't seem any more epic than either of the first two films. I mean, here we have Magneto and his bad guys (and truth be told, his "army" of mutanta is only about 50 or 60 people, most of whom we never see display any kind of super power (even being called pawns by Magneto himself). Then we have the good guys, outgunned as usual, and there's a fight. What was so epic about this movie? Why call it the Last Stand if it doesn't look to be true?

But I did like the movie. Wolverine was finally allowed to break free and slaughter a bunch of henchmen. And I actually liked Beast, though he looked too different from the comics. But seeing him fight and seeing it done well made him one of my favourite new characters.

Let's get this on the table as well. Colossus sucked. While not featured prominently in the first two movies, here he's given a bit of a larger part. He's one of the six X-Men who make the titular last stand. Yet he speaks one or two lines in the whole movie. His metallic-skin version looks lame; the real Colossus was shiny scaled chrome. This new version looks like Shaq from the movie Steel, which is not good. As well, the actor who plays Colossus is not nearly big enough or muscular enough. Dolph Lundgren would have been a better choice.

I have always thought Hugh Jackman was the perfect actor to play Wolverine. I hope they do a spinoff movie about him, and I sure hope Jackman stars in it or else I can guarantee it will suck.

Also saw the Ghost Rider trailer before this, and though it appears to have Daredevil potential, it might actually turn out not that bad...
 
I went to the movie theater for the first time in about 6 months because a group of old friends really wanted to see this movie. The only thing was that most of them - and it appears most of you - didn't get "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" reference! Here's the clip if you missed it:



Anyway, it came from this hilarious dubbed episode of the X-Men cartoon. Honestly, I can't remember when I laughed this hard!
 
It's pretty cool the makers of the film did that!

Watch the second video first, then watch the Youtube vid.
 
Jordan
I went to the movie theater for the first time in about 6 months because a group of old friends really wanted to see this movie. The only thing was that most of them - and it appears most of you - didn't get "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" reference! Here's the clip if you missed it:



Anyway, it came from this hilarious dubbed episode of the X-Men cartoon. Honestly, I can't remember when I laughed this hard!


Yea me and my friend caught that reference. im glad they did it.
 
Anderton Prime
I saw it yesterday, and the main thing that bothered me was that it didn't seem any more epic than either of the first two films. I mean, here we have Magneto and his bad guys (and truth be told, his "army" of mutanta is only about 50 or 60 people, most of whom we never see display any kind of super power (even being called pawns by Magneto himself). Then we have the good guys, outgunned as usual, and there's a fight. What was so epic about this movie? Why call it the Last Stand if it doesn't look to be true?

But I did like the movie. Wolverine was finally allowed to break free and slaughter a bunch of henchmen. And I actually liked Beast, though he looked too different from the comics. But seeing him fight and seeing it done well made him one of my favourite new characters.

Let's get this on the table as well. Colossus sucked. While not featured prominently in the first two movies, here he's given a bit of a larger part. He's one of the six X-Men who make the titular last stand. Yet he speaks one or two lines in the whole movie. His metallic-skin version looks lame; the real Colossus was shiny scaled chrome. This new version looks like Shaq from the movie Steel, which is not good. As well, the actor who plays Colossus is not nearly big enough or muscular enough. Dolph Lundgren would have been a better choice.

I have always thought Hugh Jackman was the perfect actor to play Wolverine. I hope they do a spinoff movie about him, and I sure hope Jackman stars in it or else I can guarantee it will suck.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Wolverine, Beast, and Storm rocked. Iceman finally got a chance to show what he is capable of and the fight scene was only 20 seconds. It could have been so much more there. Colossus was under used. It was as if he was there solely to show the fastball special and excite the fanboys (that part worked), but he never really did any fighting that we got to see.

I was truly glad Wolverine got to kill people in true Wolvie style. In the first two movies he was held back and didn't get to go berserk.

As seems to be true with most trilogies, the second movie was the best.

And about Jackman playing Wolverine: A friend was telling me (take it for what it's worth) that he saw/read an interview where Jackman said as long as they let him he will play Wolverine.

Fox executives have also said that the money from this movie will determine whether more will be made. I figure since it broke some records and turned a profit in the opening weekend that we will see a fourth movie. I think this is why the ending came off kind of weak, it left it open for a sequel but gave enough closure to end it there also.
 
*Spoiler Warning*

Ok, what the hell was the deal with the Phoenix? Why did we not get to see the full transformation. I mean her character is finished and we never even got to see the full potential of her power. Why'd they chintz out on us?

I liked the movie. It had lots of good stuff in it. But it definitely wasn't perfect. I can't think of a lamer reason to move the golden gate bridge than to float your way over to an island.

It was a decent 3rd movie. I liked the bit about rogue, I liked beast, I liked some of the stuff with the phoenix, and wolverine was great as usual. I just could have used a grander finale.
 
I'm with you on that one Dan...

I honestly wish there would've been more duality between Phoenix/Jean as there was in the comics and even the cartoon. Also, I think that Jean's story by ITSELF was more then strong enough for the main plot lines. The whole mutant cure then was just a side note as far as I felt.

And with the Phoenix, why didn't they even touch on the fact that the people she "killed" went to the Astral Plane?

However, you've gotta love how Iceman owned Pyro in the last scene. That was just good stuff.
 
Swift
However, you've gotta love how Iceman owned Pyro in the last scene. That was just good stuff.

For a second there I thought I was watching T2 and expected my governor to shoot iceman into a million little bits only to watch him melt back together.

It was pretty cool.
 
Still SPOILER.

danoff
*Spoiler Warning*

Ok, what the hell was the deal with the Phoenix? Why did we not get to see the full transformation. I mean her character is finished and we never even got to see the full potential of her power. Why'd they chintz out on us?
Well, I think destroying another planet with billions of people on it would be a bit overdone considering the movies don't even hint at aliens. But I agree she could have been more or played a bigger role.

I liked the movie. It had lots of good stuff in it. But it definitely wasn't perfect. I can't think of a lamer reason to move the golden gate bridge than to float your way over to an island.
This made no sense whatsoever to me. Why move the bridge to make a bridge to the island when you already floated over to begin with? What was the point of moving it the way he did? It seems to me that by having it still be a bridge to the mainland just allowed for the troops to show up more easily. I honestly believe that this was a way for Ratner to try and show off Magneto's abilities.

Swift
I honestly wish there would've been more duality between Phoenix/Jean as there was in the comics and even the cartoon. Also, I think that Jean's story by ITSELF was more then strong enough for the main plot lines. The whole mutant cure then was just a side note as far as I felt.
I think the mutant cure thing was an idea as a catalyst for the war and even allows them to lead into another movie, but they focused on it too much when it should have been the background.

And with the Phoenix, why didn't they even touch on the fact that the people she "killed" went to the Astral Plane?
Did you see the scene at the end of the credits?

However, you've gotta love how Iceman owned Pyro in the last scene. That was just good stuff.
If they would have just given it more attention. I mean, it lasted about a minute and could have been much cooler. I saw the my beam of power hits your beam of power and they cancel each other out in the last Harry Potter movie. The only difference was that Harry Potter didn't go hardcore the way Iceman did.

As for Rogue; so is that it for her? Or did the thing with Magneto at the end hint towards something more? It would be awesome if they played into the long-term side effects issues that the drug companies are running into and suddenly the mutations are more powerful, aka, she can fly.

Oh, and maybe someone can explain the Angel issue for me. Why did they even bother?


Wow, it sounds like all I do is complain. I still enjoyed the movie, I just think that they could have done better. There is nothing lingering that just ruined it for me like one of last year's bloickbusters, which shall remain unnamed.
 
FoolKiller
I think the mutant cure thing was an idea as a catalyst for the war and even allows them to lead into another movie, but they focused on it too much when it should have been the background.
Yep

Did you see the scene at the end of the credits?
Yep!

If they would have just given it more attention. I mean, it lasted about a minute and could have been much cooler. I saw the my beam of power hits your beam of power and they cancel each other out in the last Harry Potter movie. The only difference was that Harry Potter didn't go hardcore the way Iceman did.
Yep...he should've really went nutz and frozen his hands or something.


As for Rogue; so is that it for her? Or did the thing with Magneto at the end hint towards something more? It would be awesome if they played into the long-term side effects issues that the drug companies are running into and suddenly the mutations are more powerful, aka, she can fly.
They screwed up the introduction of her character in the first place, so giving her the powers she's supposed to have is, well, screwed up.

Oh, and maybe someone can explain the Angel issue for me. Why did they even bother?

Because they could...See Star Wars Episode I for further explaination. :sly:

Wow, it sounds like all I do is complain. I still enjoyed the movie, I just think that they could have done better. There is nothing lingering that just ruined it for me like one of last year's bloickbusters, which shall remain unnamed

Heh heh, yeah...that's about it for me too. Not great, not bad, but fun to watch and missed a lot of potential.
 
Swift
I think the thing at the end was the hint towards the Astral Plane. Thsi of course would allow for another movie with everyone returning. Perhaps a Magneto movie giving the prequel will explain this when Xavier first helps Jean control her powers as a young girl. Then the next X-Men movie takes that knowledge to bring everyone back.

Yep...he should've really went nutz and frozen his hands or something.
I would have been happy with them throwing fireballs and iceballs at each other and creating a lot of havoc.

They screwed up the introduction of her character in the first place, so giving her the powers she's supposed to have is, well, screwed up.
I haven't felt right about her from the beginning, but this ending just made it worse in my mind.

Because they could...See Star Wars Episode I for further explaination. :sly:
I'd rather not.

Heh heh, yeah...that's about it for me too. Not great, not bad, but fun to watch and missed a lot of potential.
Yeah, I'll still buy it on DVD, although I will probably wait for a special/directors edition.
 
Back