X-Men 3

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anderton Prime
  • 157 comments
  • 6,092 views
FoolKiller
Yeah, I'll still buy it on DVD, although I will probably wait for a special/directors edition.

That's what I said when I left the theater. There must be at least 30 mins of stuff that was chopped. You can tell from the editing. Especially with Cyclops being "killed".
 
Swift
That's what I said when I left the theater. There must be at least 30 mins of stuff that was chopped. You can tell from the editing. Especially with Cyclops being "killed".
Yeah, what was that? She wasn't even angry.
 
FoolKiller
Yeah, what was that? She wasn't even angry.

I have no idea. I guess she did the same thing that she did to the rest of the people that were sent to the Astral plane. And also, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if she can form a barrier to protect herself from millions of gallons of water, why can she protect herself from some claws? Or did she switch back to "Jean" at the last second.

But by the end of the flick there were what...6 Xmen? I guess that's what they meant by last stand.
 
Swift
I have no idea. I guess she did the same thing that she did to the rest of the people that were sent to the Astral plane.
Yeah, but she was worked up every other time she did it.

And also, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if she can form a barrier to protect herself from millions of gallons of water, why can she protect herself from some claws? Or did she switch back to "Jean" at the last second.
If I were to guess I would say it was one of two things. She was already creating a shield when she was stopping the water or Jean fought through enough to beg for death and so she let her guard down.

I guess you could also say that since Phoenix was a creature of instinctual emotion (lust, anger, etc) that when Logan admits to loving her and his willingness to die for her she doesn't know how to react to this calm deep emotion and Jean then can break through.

But by the end of the flick there were what...6 Xmen? I guess that's what they meant by last stand.
Counting Professor X the first movie only had 5 non-student X-Men that went into battle. The second only had six with the rest being given the "be good little kids and stay out of danger" treatment.

Until now the Bortherhood had almost no one.
 
Swift
I have no idea. I guess she did the same thing that she did to the rest of the people that were sent to the Astral plane. And also, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if she can form a barrier to protect herself from millions of gallons of water, why can she protect herself from some claws? Or did she switch back to "Jean" at the last second.

The Phoenix could have ripped wolverine apart all the way through that scene. What I got from it was that Jean and Phoenix were battling for control, and Wolverine's last minute confession tipped the scales in Jean's favor allowing her to get her death wish.

There's no way that our regenerating friend could have posed a challenge to the phoenix when it was in full force.
 
Question: What sunglasses does Cyclops wear? Are they Oakleys?
 
danoff
The Phoenix could have ripped wolverine apart all the way through that scene.
They tamed Phoenix, but destroying Earth or even just a whole city would have truly put a bummer on the storyline and would have made any kind of peaceful resoultion with the government hard to come by.

What I got from it was that Jean and Phoenix were battling for control, and Wolverine's last minute confession tipped the scales in Jean's favor allowing her to get her death wish.
Perhaps Jean's repressed feelings for Wolverine are why he didn't get obliterated from the start. The inner struggle held Phoenix back.

There's no way that our regenerating friend could have posed a challenge to the phoenix when it was in full force.
Wolverine disintegrating and healing back and forth was a cool looking effect, I thought. While it made Phoenix look weaker it makes Wolverine just look more bad ass.

Anderton Prime
Why didn't Wolvie just stick her with one of the cure darts?
I think we are supposed to believe that between Arclight and Phoenix they were all destroyed.

Sting
Question: What sunglasses does Cyclops wear? Are they Oakleys?
A pair of Foakleys he bought from a street vendor in Times Square. :sly:
 
Anderton Prime
Why didn't Wolvie just stick her with one of the cure darts?

Excellent question. 💡
 
Swift
Excellent question. 💡
I was going to say that it brings about ethical questions of forcing someone to take the "cure" but then I remembered that didn't stop them with Magneto.

I will stick with the, if he had tried it would have disintegrated in his hand as he got near her, theory.
 
FoolKiller
I will stick with the, if he had tried it would have disintegrated in his hand as he got near her, theory.

Works for me. Never thought of it that way...
 
Anderton Prime
Works for me. Never thought of it that way...
Good, because I am making it up as I go along.


Now, here is a question to ponder (in true comic fanboy style):

If Wolverine were to take, or be shot by, the "cure" would he die because of the adamantium in his body? Without his healing factor would he not be able to live with metal lined bones?

And then assuming he did survive that would he bleed to death after the first time he instinctually drew his claws for a fight?

It seems to me that with his mutant abilities being his healing factor and animal-like senses that the Weapon X experiments would take their toll if he were to lose them.
 
if he were to draw his claws, the wounds would bleed alot, yeah, but people have survived far worse wounds. And to my understanding the reason they used wolverine for the whole adamantium was becuase without the healing ability he wouldn't have survived the OPERATION, as he would have to many cuts and incissions and such and he would die if he where to heal at a normal rate. However if he was to take the "cure" at this point in the movie, from my understanding he would be fine, alot of prolonged pain and blood loss if the claws come out, but alive...
 
[FPV]Rusty
if he were to draw his claws, the wounds would bleed alot, yeah, but people have survived far worse wounds. And to my understanding the reason they used wolverine for the whole adamantium was becuase without the healing ability he wouldn't have survived the OPERATION, as he would have to many cuts and incissions and such and he would die if he where to heal at a normal rate. However if he was to take the "cure" at this point in the movie, from my understanding he would be fine, alot of prolonged pain and blood loss if the claws come out, but alive...
Good point.

I bet his knees and back and pretty much every joint would kill him within a year. It would be like having weights permanently attached to your body. The impact and stress on the joints would be increased a lot.

There's nothing like an "intellectual" discussion of fake stuff.
 
How about this one? Is adamantium impervious to the Pheonix's abilities?
 
danoff
How about this one? Is adamantium impervious to the Pheonix's abilities?
It sure looked that way. His skin and muscle disintegrated and I saw shiny metal that didn't get harmed at all. That or he was healing so fast that it was quickly covered back up.
 
FoolKiller
It sure looked that way. His skin and muscle disintegrated and I saw shiny metal that didn't get harmed at all. That or he was healing so fast that it was quickly covered back up.

I've already forgotten whether he had his claws out the whole time.
 
danoff
I've already forgotten whether he had his claws out the whole time.
No, you hear them Shnikt out as he stabs. His other hand is holding her face with no claws.
 
Movie sucked, barely any of the story advanced at all.
 
I saw this the other night, wasn't too impressed. Sure it was ok, but it could have been so much better. There was no character deveopment, I would have liked to have seen more of Collosus and Juggernaut for sure.
 
It was ok, nothing compared to the other 2 films.

Here's a question....

Why didn't they use leech to draw phoenix's powers? why didn't they use leech? (ok 2 questions)
 
why didnt they just stick the kid beside her? if powers dont work on him she couldnt have killed him.
 
Thats a very good point, why didnt they use Leech on Jean/Phoenix??
There's lots of things in X 3 they didnt make sense, hense it being a bad film. But it was still very enjoyable.
 
He's a true mutant because his healing abilities are his own, it's the metal claws and such that were put into him by people.

I saw it today, I didn't think it was that good though, I really enjoyed the first two but this one was just crappy to be polite.
 
I wouldn't call it crappy. Disappointing yes, but it's still an ok film. Lets just hope the next one is better, if there is a next one.
 
It had good special effects, there were good things about it, but I wouldn't give it more than a 5/10, at the most. I didn't really like the pheonix plot that much, not beucase it resulted in the death of a lot of people, but because it just wasn't a good story for a film imo, it couldn't be done in an hour and a half. I really liked the first two films but there was so much that didn't make sense in this one, or wasn't explained well. I just though this one was a bit crap, it had it's moments, but overall it was a crap film.
 
555
Thats a very good point, why didnt they use Leech on Jean/Phoenix??
There's lots of things in X 3 they didnt make sense, hense it being a bad film. But it was still very enjoyable.
SS69
why didnt they just stick the kid beside her? if powers dont work on him she couldnt have killed him.
Well, they thought they were going to get to take Jean home until the troops came over the hill (rubble) and started firing cure darts willy-nilly. That got her all kinds of mad and by that point Leech would have been dead before he could have gotten close enough. It seemed that you needed to be within about 10-20 feet for him to affect you.

Anderton Prime
I thought Wolverine wasn't ever a true mutant, but a man-made killing machine...
Wolverine has a mutant healing factor and certain animalistic traits, such as increased sense of smell (he can fight blind), quick reflexes, and his whole aggressive attitude. (Initially Marvel played with the idea of having him actually be a wolverine/human mutant, but thankfully dropped that idea)

His adamantium laced skeleton and claws were added during the Weapon X experiments, which he only survived because of his healing factor. This is why the only people with Adamantium skeletons and claws of some form have heling factors (aka Sabertooth and Lady Deathstrike).

Later comics changed his history a bit to say that his claws were a mutation and actually bones that were lined with adamantium. This was added to make him still look cool with claws after Magneto ripped the adamantium out of his body in an attempt to kill him. This sudden change in history is one of the reasons I quit reading them. Even comic books have to have continuity.
 
Anderton Prime
Why didn't Wolvie just stick her with one of the cure darts?
Because right before the climactic scene with Wolverine forcing his way up to here, the Army had just unleashed a hail of the things at her, and Phoenix had obliterated all of the darts.

Overall, I do think it was a decent movie, though I share the feeling that it was about 30 minutes shorter than intended. I have to say that even when I collected comics I was not a real Marvel reader, more of an indy guy with a DC title or two thrown in, so I can't really comment on how well the characters fit into the Marvel Universe or exploit their abilities.

On the subject of Angel, he was mostly there to serve as a microcosm of the whole "cure the mutants" thing: him being a mutant was what drove his father to develop the DNA serum in the first place (remember the scene with him as a kid, microplaning the wing buds off his own back?) Then as a young adult, he summarizes the whole "we don't need a cure" movement by resisting his father's attempt to make his own son the first mutant to get the shot.

But tanj dammit! We always stay to the end of the credits, but we saw the movie last night (Sunday, a school night) so we hurried out of the theatre for once. And of course missed the all-important Astral Plane scene.

SPOILER REQUEST:

Can somebody give me a decent synopsis of it?

SS69
why didnt they just stick the kid beside her? if powers dont work on him she couldnt have killed him.

Because remember the scene with the Beast where he offers to shake with the kid, and his hand goes human? His power has a very short radius. The kid (Billy Corgan :lol: ) would have been vaporized long before they could get him close enough to dampen her powers. Even if they had put him in Wolverine's backpack, Wolvie would have lost his self-healing powers and been vaporized trying to reach her.
 
Back