Xbox One, FM5 Announced! (UPDATE, See first post!)

• Thread starter espeed623
  • 521 comments
Is there anything you can read into the fact that fanatec seem to be out of stock of CSRs until July?

Other then that, Badned came through with enough pertinent info to keep the improved simulation hopes alive!

I think for me, no fanatec will mean I wont even consider the XB1 until next year, I'll spend the cash on upgrading my PC.

I just checked (you'd think I would remember from playing for hundreds of hours) and while it does list "Weather" in Forza 4, it was just showing temperature. Weather and temperature have now been given their own unique data boxes.

99,9% not.

X360 accessories are confirmed not to work and Dan Greenawalt has been on GTTV 20 minutes ago and said there is now Thrustmaster wheel getting ready for Forza 5 and XBOne.

Found it. He also says the demo they brought does not even have all the new physics build in yet. I Just hope we get some better arm and hand animations.

Well I'm sold. The Xbox One could force me to sacrifice small children and goats in order to play it and I wouldn't care.

99,9% not.

X360 accessories are confirmed not to work and Dan Greenawalt has been on GTTV 20 minutes ago and said there is now Thrustmaster wheel getting ready for Forza 5 and XBOne.

It would be an absolutely terrible idea for MS to not open up wheel support, especially if they want to make FM5 a serious sim racer. But I will not be here doom and glooming away based on pure speculations and assumptions because X360 accessories not being compatible are things like the controllers, remote controls, headsets, controller keyboard, etc. It doesn't automatically mean wheels. Wheels have other means to connect, like via USB. There are no pics yet of the new Thrustmaster wheel being used but if it is connected via USB cable it would be great news to me. I just saw EA's BF4 presser and thought it was all on PC. Then I saw the 64 players in the background playing on keyboard/mouse and what looked like to be a wired XO controller. I could be wrong here but was that all on PC?

Until MS or T10 themselves confirm the wheel stuff, everything is assumptions.

It would be an absolutely terrible idea for MS to not open up wheel support, especially if they want to make FM5 a serious sim racer. But I will not be here doom and glooming away based on pure speculations and assumptions because X360 accessories not being compatible are things like the controllers, remote controls, headsets, controller keyboard, etc. It doesn't automatically mean wheels. Wheels have other means to connect, like via USB. There are no pics yet of the new Thrustmaster wheel being used but if it is connected via USB cable it would be great news to me. I just saw EA's BF4 presser and thought it was all on PC. Then I saw the 64 players in the background playing on keyboard/mouse and what looked like to be a wired XO controller. I could be wrong here but was that all on PC?

Until MS or T10 themselves confirm the wheel stuff, everything is assumptions.

It is much, much more complicated story than that.

I will not post it here, we discussed it to details in other part of this community and on other communities as well.

If you are more interested in the subject, here are some handy links that explain the issue in some detail.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8498536#post8498536
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8499006#post8499006
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7045451#post7045451

Again, as long-time Forza player and CSRE/CSP owner, I would so love that Microsoft has come to its senses.

I've read a lot on it, including your huge wall-o-text on neogaf about it ;)
Trust me, I of all people want MS to open up wheel support. If MS wants to be serious about making FM5 a serious sim game, and a serious competitor to GT franchise, it is common sense to start by opening up wheel support. But at the end of the day it is nothing but assumptions and speculations, and nothing more. MS can easily say they aren't doing XID and going with HID, have some sort of generic USB connectable wheel driver and voila, wheels now work. Seeing as how MS discontinued their own branded wheel a long time ago and never had a replacement due to it being a failed business venture, there is literally no business logic to continue with a closed 3rd party wheel support. They would benefit so much more by opening up wheel support than to make a few dollars/euros on licensed peripherals. Tons of GT and PC racers would buy into the console solely because of wheel support. With FM5's announcements and trailers, a lot is still in question. Things like wheel support to day transition to weather to more. We just found out today about laser scanned tracks and open wheel racers, so the game continues to venture more into reaslism and sim. If they continue locked wheel support, everyone who made that decision at MS needs to be hung by their balls and fired immediately.

Thrustmaster having, assumption here based on Dan Greenwalt's comments today, a very strong T500RS type of wheel on the showroom floor for the XO is a good thing. I really want to know if it's connected wirelessly or if via USB. I am simply NOT buying another wheel just for Forza. I have owned 4 myself, currently own 3 with my latest purchase being a CSR wheel and CSR-Elite pedals. I game on all platforms, so if MS wants to lock support, as a HUGE Forza fan, they might even lose me as a day 1 XO buyer, and I might even skip out on MS's platform entirely this gen.

I'm a little interested in PC and know the benefits of it over consoles, but my main thing is what games on PC are like GT and FM?
Assetto Corsa will be a mix of GT, Forza and rFactor.
Kunos recently added drag racing mode and they are preparing a career mode. They want a piece of the huge simcade market. You can either have a sim-cade approach or a full blown simulation, (meaning qualifing, flag rules, pit stop strategies, full clutch support, full endurance grids, full damage etc etc)
Oh and lot of modders are coming back just because of Assetto Corsa. If you like racing simulators and you want to show MS a nice middle finger because of their new "EA style" approach, the time is now. I know it's a shame for Forza 5 because I admit it has some genuine potential, but, if I have to choose to buy something that could spy me or require me to be online to play games or a platform that will allow me to play all the other "next gen" sims without the new Microsoft BS, spy kinect, tv tv tv... well, the choice is quite simple.

Last edited:
SlipZtrEm
So, if we're allowed to read into that, the career mode could be very different. We get open wheel cars, debris accumulation, even better physics, and real-time damage?

All that's missing is a comment on time-of-day changes. Other than that... hell yes! :D

And the Thrustmaster T500 on the X1?! :eek: Now I need to see that the T500 will be compatible to the PS4. But if the wheel is for BOTH consoles and works for two of my favorite games (GT and FM)?!?!

Heck yeah!!!! Bring it on! :D

Then I'll gladly buy a wheel for next gen.

I am simply NOT buying another wheel just for Forza.

I game on all platforms, so if MS wants to lock support, as a HUGE Forza fan, they might even lose me as a day 1 XO buyer, and I might even skip out on MS's platform entirely this gen.
I simply wanted to support this.

The only game picking my interest on X1 is Forza 5. If I can use my Fanatec, then it will most likely be a Day One purchase. If I can't use it, then I may as well skip X1 altogether, especially if there are no Fanatec wheels compatible with X1 in the future (who knows, one day I may replace my current GT2).

HBK

The only game picking my interest on X1 is Forza 5. If I can use my Fanatec, then it will most likely be a Day One purchase. If I can't use it, then I may as well skip X1 altogether, especially if there are no Fanatec wheels compatible with X1 in the future (who knows, one day I may replace my current GT2).

Same fore me, wasn't really planning on getting X1 on launch, but if my GT2 wheel doesn't work, then they can forget having me on board for a while.

I am 99,99% sure I wont buy the xbone for forza because of all the crappy news (price, drm, connect every 24 hours, kinect spying on me etc).
Now, if my CSR won't be supported...I will fill the remaining 0,1%.

HBK

Same fore me, wasn't really planning on getting X1 on launch, but if my GT2 wheel doesn't work, then they can forget having me on board for a while.

Same here, I can not justify buying a new console and another wheel just to play Forza 5. I really want the game and have lots of friends that play online but the lack of support for these wheels is a deal breaker on top of several other things that are unappealing with the new device.

They really should have made the Kinect and optional add on which should have reduced the price by at least $100 and they should at the very least continue support for the Fanatec wheels that they pushed with the last 2 Forza releases.

They really should have made the Kinect and optional add on which should have reduced the price by at least $100 and they should at the very least continue support for the Fanatec wheels that they pushed with the last 2 Forza releases.
Agreed, especially when you consider it likely would have lowered the price point to equal the PS4's $399.

I won't mind the new Kinect as long as tracking is much, MUCH better. I really liked the idea of head-tracking in FM4, but it usually ended up looking like my driver was disagreeing with my driving style as it shook left and right.

price and the connect every 24 hours is turning me off, price i can deal with and just wait a bit longer but if the connect every 24 hours is still in effect by then i may just get neither system and upgrade my PC.

The gameplay on the interview with Dan didn't look very good in my opinion. I know that he qualified it by saying that it isn't finished, but I don't think it's far from finished. It's very pretty, but it seems a bit tepid from a gameplay perspective.

What do you guys think?

On the other hand, this gameplay video looks pretty solid:

The gameplay on the interview with Dan didn't look very good in my opinion. I know that he qualified it by saying that it isn't finished, but I don't think it's far from finished. It's very pretty, but it seems a bit tepid from a gameplay perspective.

What do you guys think?

On the other hand, this gameplay video looks pretty solid:

Wow, I just noticed. It's a different time of day!

Last edited:
Wow, I just noticed. It's a different time of day!
I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet. They had that in FM4 and it wasn't all that spectacular haha!

I think the game play is looking decent so far, but I'd like to see something that isn't a hypercar. The lighting however is jaw-dropping. So far I'm not impressed by the Prague track. I'm not a fan of the long sweeping turns as much as the low-speed technical turns found in a regular track.

hi, forzaplanet! been a while. Watching that video posted by eunos, I noticed something interesting. :D around 4:20, you can see a team member or pit crew member walking pass the car as it pulls to the grid. interesting.

Not that it means anything, but I think I see 3 leads in the back of the Thrustmaster wheel in the demo booth at E3..

(Taken from the youtube vid above)
1gDu6hw.jpg

Power / Pedals / USB???

Dan said the wheel isn't in final form in the GT video.

Indeed, I said it doesn't mean anything, but just thought it slightly interesting the at least the dev version might be wired, it shows on some technical level it's not insurmountable to do it over USB (presumably)

Looking near the speedometer is 4 rectangles that appear to be the wheels. Looking at it, as the gameplay progress the rears' get more yellow. I wonder how different the tire wear is on FM5 compared to 4, because on 4 they would always go instantly back to green.

Looking near the speedometer is 4 rectangles that appear to be the wheels. Looking at it, as the gameplay progress the rears' get more yellow. I wonder how different the tire wear is on FM5 compared to 4, because on 4 they would always go instantly back to green.
In FM4 that was simply heat. I'm guessing these are wear indicators (and possibly, wishfully, debris indicators such as dirt from running off the track).

In FM4 that was simply heat. I'm guessing these are wear indicators (and possibly, wishfully, debris indicators such as dirt from running off the track).

:dunce: Dunno where I was going with that.

If I remember correctly, the heat indicators where in the telemetry though, while the "tire wear" was when you press select. I actually cant recall if that ever changed from green.. Havnt played in a long while.

I think tire wear was only indicated by a percentage. The Green > Red heat map applied only to temperature. One that showed the tire as a whole and one that showed the inner/center/outer temp.

It does seem odd that the press release claims all the real tracks are laser scanned but they use a fictional street circuit to promote the game initially. I suppose they've always done this though, start out with a new fictional track.

Back