Xbox One X Launch Day: Microsoft Redefines Console Power

Mine is dispatching now so it will probably arrive tomorrow or Thursday. As long as I got it before the weekend that’s fine, Saturday afternoon is already reserved to revamp my home cinema setup, out with the base, in with the Scorpio. ;)

Will have both the X1X SE and PS4 Pro connected to a 4K HDR setup with 65” TV Then. Good times ahead!

I don't have a 4k TV at the moment so I don't think I will be getting this Xbox or the PS4 Pro (I think the Pro would be better for streaming game play but I don't do that often) I don't need the graphics to be in 4k or as good as the pc.

I wonder if such a large gap in performance is going to make it harder on developers to sufficiently support the vanilla one while being able to take advantage of the new?

I wonder if such a large gap in performance is going to make it harder on developers to sufficiently support the vanilla one while being able to take advantage of the new?

Nope. Nothing has to be done one way or the other. The vanilla Xbox One serves as a minimum spec that has to be fulfilled in all scenarios, but compatibility with the One X won't require additional effort. Best case scenario will involve devs building toward 4K assets and scaling downward accordingly.

The base perf is essentially the same. As the cpu is the same but with slight frequency bump over the org one. Gfx can always be scaled up and down without too much difficulties but when it comes to the core elements of the game that rely on the cpu, scaling up this would mean changing the gameplay and the game itself.

Last edited:
PC gaming is a thing you know, with a myriad of different hardware possibilities ;)

From Amazon.co.uk:

Hello,

We are very sorry to notify you that your order xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx for Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition 1TB Console is now expected to arrive on Wednesday 8 November.

To apologise for the inconvenience, we've added a £20 promotional credit to your account. It will be automatically applied to eligible orders during the checkout process.

Lovely! Please delay it a few more days at a £20/day rate! ;)

TBH there is not much difference apart from resolution. Some devs will implement different modes and better textures. Not worth 500$ IMO
Coming from someone that actually has the console, and played the same game on both consoles, there is a substantial upgrade to how things go. Not only that but any game not taking advantage of that 4k patch immediately gets a performance jump as well as frame rate issues I was suffereing with some games are completely gone now. Couple that with the fact that it has a UHD player, it's very much worth the price. I don't even have a 4k TV and I can immediately spot the differences, because they stand out like a sore thumb.

My plan is to wait until cyber-Monday and see what kind of deals I can get, I am still on last gen so I have to buy wheel & pedal set also, I really can't wait to get a new set up!

Did you get a Project Scorpio edition or just the standard edition Xbox One X?

In terms of performance they should be identical. :) The only differences are the green Scorpio logos on console & controller, the Halo easter egg logo on the circuit board and the supplied vertical stand AFAIK.

In terms of performance they should be identical. :) The only differences are the green Scorpio logos on console & controller, the Halo easter egg logo on the circuit board and the supplied vertical stand AFAIK.
I'm almost positive he's aware of that :P

I don't think I'll be getting an answer to my question. It was rhetorical anyway ;)

Ah, more of the 8th-gen practice of releasing upgraded consoles every 2-3 years as an attempt to stay relevant in the market and compete with PC hardware. Cute.

Nope. Nothing has to be done one way or the other. The vanilla Xbox One serves as a minimum spec that has to be fulfilled in all scenarios, but compatibility with the One X won't require additional effort. Best case scenario will involve devs building toward 4K assets and scaling downward accordingly.
I think there's a bit more nuance. In the case of PC2, the differences in visual fidelity and ability to keep up framerate are enormous. It's obvious that from now on the XB1 will be treated as a second-class citizen by developers. Every marketing screenshot and movie you will see from now on will be from XBX, not XB1. And the XB1 shots/movies will not look favorable (as it was already lagging behind the regular PS4, let alone the PS4 Pro or the XBX). So while technically developers must (and will) support both, it's a bit like having games available on both PS3 and PS4 or on a high-end PC rig vs a low-end PC rig. The XBX is not just a mid-life console upgrade IMO because of all the underlying changes (not just performance but also architecture), it's basically a next generation.

I think the XBX is a great piece of hardware. 👍 You'd struggle to get something identical for the same amount of cash on PC platform.

Coming from someone that actually has the console, and played the same game on both consoles, there is a substantial upgrade to how things go. Not only that but any game not taking advantage of that 4k patch immediately gets a performance jump as well as frame rate issues I was suffereing with some games are completely gone now. Couple that with the fact that it has a UHD player, it's very much worth the price. I don't even have a 4k TV and I can immediately spot the differences, because they stand out like a sore thumb.

Good for you.

Did you get a Project Scorpio edition or just the standard edition Xbox One X?

Not interest in mid gen upgrade. May be next year with PS4P slim at 300$ I may consider. I would like to see devs concentrate on gfx rather than resolution though.

Good for you.
It's good for anyone willing to invest in it, that has the money.
Not interest in mid gen upgrade. May be next year with PS4P slim at 300$ I may consider. I would like to see devs concentrate on gfx rather than resolution though.
Then probably best not to go around telling people what a One X is like if you don’t own one ;)
Especially so if you basically have 0 experience with it at all. When the resolution got upgraded on Forza 7, so did the graphics, as well as the lighting. Shows how little you actually know, even though you're coming in claiming these things.

Back