Xbox Series X Won't Get Exclusive First-Party Titles for At Least a Year

I mean, it was sort of rhetorical, because no one would... hell backwards compatibility was largely dropped because it wasn't something consumers actually used and was expensive to develop/support
BC was dropped because we switch architecture with this gen.

(the head of Sony in 2017 also stated that it's not a widely used feature)
A head of an company which doesn't support a feature says it's not relevant. News at 11.

There are rumours that sony delayed the ps5 launch to get bc right, since they want to transition PS4 users faster than ever and lock them into their ecosystem.

I think exclusives are overrated in terms of selling a console, because most games played will be FIFA, COD, fortnite and GTA anyway.

why would you buy this system when I can play these games on my existing Xbox or PlayStation?
You won't be able to play Halo, Forza or any other MS IP outside of Minecraft on an Playstation console.

As for your other question. That's something Microsoft needs to worry about. Clearly some enthusiastic people bought an X/Pro despite them having 0 exklusives.

Series X should be able to play games massively better. Microsoft already talked about the idea of 60-120FPS and more improtantly we have Turn 10 talking about real time ray tracing in their GCD presentation. Thus exklusives features between the ports could be happening, because i don't see any xbox one being able to handle real time ray tracing.

Additionally the rumoured specs for Xbox and PS5 let many come to the conclusion, that these companies will eat a loss, if they sell the console for 500$. Thus someone interested in building an pc could be interested in rather buying a console, because of the cheaper price.

And obviously it's only 1 year and after this period the console will get next gen exclusives.

I mean, it was sort of rhetorical, because no one would... hell backwards compatibility was largely dropped because it wasn't something consumers actually used and was expensive to develop/support.
There are many articles about games STILL not really engaging with it (the head of Sony in 2017 also stated that it's not a widely used feature). It's a selling point and it creates good optics.
MS has only been pushing it so hard because it has nothing else and the Xbone has been an example of how to totally **** up a console launch/cycle.

With over 100m PS4's sold, how many are there who haven't got a PS4 but want one and are willing to pay £500~ for a PS5? Zero.

So the fact that MS has no exclusives at launch is a problem for them because: why would you buy this system when I can play these games on my existing Xbox or PlayStation? If all the Xbox can do is play games nicer, do I really need to spend £500 on that? And there are no good answers to those questions.
Except that I never said that they should buy a €500 console just for the sake of playing 5-10 year old games that they already have. You know that, though I realized that I have misinterpreted the post I quoted earlier.

I simply thought he was talking about the PS5 not having exclusives yet when he was actually referring to the upcoming Xbox console not having them which is really a shame. So yes, you have some point there.

Regardless, I still think backwards compatibility is useful for PS consoles. Admittedly, I don't have a PS4 but my sibling does although I barely play it since there's currently only around less than 10 games in his game library and none that intrigues me that much.

What I have though is an old, dependable PS3 and I still play my personal games there from time to time. Now if I could play those games there, then I can finally dispose it. I don't know but I just find some old exclusive games there to be sentimental so that's why I can't just move on from it.

BC was dropped because we switch architecture with this gen.
We changed architecture from PSX to PS2 and PS2 to PS3...

A head of an company which doesn't support a feature says it's not relevant. News at 11.
The head of the company is usually the one who guides said company and has access to the stats or the people that collect/analyse said results. So this opinion and stance is usually a good indicator to look at.

There are rumours that sony delayed the ps5 launch to get bc right, since they want to transition PS4 users faster than ever and lock them into their ecosystem.
I think exclusives are overrated in terms of selling a console, because most games played will be FIFA, COD, fortnite and GTA anyway.
I don't doubt the PS5 will have backwards compatibility, but I don't think it'll be the selling feature, it'll be the games. After all, thats what this thing is designed for... so saying that no exclusive experiences/games are coming to this new platform, takes away from people wanting to invest.

You won't be able to play Halo, Forza or any other IP on Playstation.
No, but you can and will on a PC

these companies will eat a loss, if they sell the console for 500$
So no change there then...

Except that I never said that they should buy a €500 console just for the sake of playing 5-10 year old games that they already have, though I realized that I have misinterpreted the post I quoted earlier.

I simply thought he was talking about the PS5 not having exclusives yet when he was actually referring to the upcoming Xbox console not having them which is really a shame.

Regardless, I still think backwards compatibility is useful for PS consoles. Admittedly, I don't have a PS4 but my sibling does although didn't play that much since there's currently only around less than 10 games in his game library.

What I have though is an old, dependable PS3 and I still play my personal games there from time to time. Now if I could play those games there, then I can finally dispose it. I don't know but I just find some old exclusive games there to be sentimental so that's why I can't just move on from it.

I think that backwards compatibility is really cool and it's something I want. I'm a huge MGS collector and have loads of versions of the various games from all over the world and being able to have one box that played them all region free and then played all my current games too, would be great. But that in of it's self isn't enough to make a console a world-wide success. You need new games and experiences people can't get anywhere else.

So this opinion and stance is usually a good indicator to look at.
No, because he will never acknowledge and say "We don't support an important feature, because we are the leader this generation and couldn't care less. Sorry". Company leads are good at PR speeches and they need to be.

-> An feature their new product supports is the best thing ever
-> An feature their products doesn't support is not important.

So no change there then...
We don't know the price yet, but Sony and MS seem to eat an much bigger loss than with the PS4 or Xbox One. One game was enough to make profit iirc. This wasn't the case with Xbox 360 and PS3. Those were massiv loss leaders and we seem to be heading closer to that way again.

Let me challenge you... Build an 500$ PC with an fast SSD, ~ 10TF Navi GPU and so on. You won't be able to. Thus, consoles are an good option for price sensitive people that still want the best performance for an somewhat small price compared to high end pc.
You need new games and experiences people can't get anywhere else.
Didn't help the Wii U, original Xbox and Gamecube. What matters is good third party support, marketing and price.

No, because he will never acknowledge and say "We don't support an important feature, because we are the leader this generation and couldn't care less. Sorry". Company leads are good at PR speeches and they need to be.

I miss-read his title, but this was literally said by one of the top Sony execs.
Sony global sales chief Jim Ryan
“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”
via

We don't know the price yet, but Sony and MS seem to eat an much bigger loss than with the PS4 or Xbox One. One game was enough to make profit iirc. This wasn't the case with Xbox 360 and PS3. Those were massiv loss leaders and we seem to be heading closer to that way again.

Let me challenge you... Build an 500$ PC with an fast SSD, ~ 10TF Navi GPU and so on. You won't be able to. Thus, consoles are an good option for price sensitive people that still want the best performance for an somewhat small price compared to high end pc.

Yeah of course we don't know the price, £500 seems like a fair guess... I don't know why you are trying to pin me down on a guess. Why would I need to try and build some random ass PC for $500? I don't even know why you are bringing up this PC vs Console thing. MS are shifting their games to be Xbox/PC... they just are, so as a consumer you have greater choice... not only that but PC's do more than game... so why would the value proposition be the same? If you are price sensitive and the Xbox is getting no new games, why would you buy a brand new system in the first place? Just buy an Xbone or PS4... price sensitive people are not the target audience for console launches.

Didn't help the Wii U, original Xbox and Gamecube.
Didn't help the Xbox? What? Halo was HUGE and without it how the hell would it have done vs the monumental PS2? And yeah Halo came to PC but it redefined what a console shooter could be.

WiiU failed because Nintendo failed to market it and actually have a proper strategy... same with the Gamecube but to a lesser extent.
To throw your argument to pieces, look at the Wii, that thing's 3rd party offering was a joke and it sold insanely well.

What matters is good third party support, marketing and price.
I never said they didn't?

I miss-read his title, but this was literally said by one of the top Sony execs
And yet they are working on emulating PS4 games on PS5. Why would they do this, if the feature wasn't important?

Just buy an Xbone or PS4... price sensitive people are not the target audience for console launches.
You are right. I was thinking about enthusiastic gamers that still can't afford an 1,000$ pc or don't want to afford it for whatever reason. You know, the same people which bought an Xbox X or PS4 Pro.

To throw your argument to pieces, look at the Wii, that thing's 3rd party offering was a joke and it sold insanely well
The Wii was a success story, because it caught the casuals with the motion controller. Didn't happen again for now.

Just look at the attach rate of exclusives to their respective install base. Outside of Nintendo, games usually got less than 20% attach rate. Thus we can come to the conclusion exclusives as the main selling point are overrated. Most gamers play third party games on their console and buy them for this reason.

Exclusives aren't unimportant, but you seem to suggest that without exklusives nobody would buy a console, which was already debunked with Pro and X selling. And let's not forget we are talking about a year.

I think that backwards compatibility is really cool and it's something I want. I'm a huge MGS collector and have loads of versions of the various games from all over the world and being able to have one box that played them all region free and then played all my current games too, would be great. But that in of it's self isn't enough to make a console a world-wide success. You need new games and experiences people can't get anywhere else.
I agree with that. However, some developers leave much to be desired once they start to make rather disappointing successors to some good games they have made in the past.

I believe some example of this would be GT. I enjoyed playing GT5 so much, though didn't play its successor GT6. But when GT Sport came out, it was not the usual GT for some obvious reasons. When PD released it, it was scrimped and was mainly catered to online racers but somehow, it's making up for its own shortcomings with "free" content each month.

The other game that I would cite is Pokemon. Many people who are following the series have been believing that it has been in a downward spiral since Gen V from 2010. Don't know why GameFreak had to make this awesome series like that. The impression of playing the latest Pokemon game doesn't seem to be intriguing anymore compared to the previous generations.

Then there's also Visual Concepts which make the NBA 2K games. The ridiculous mictrotransactions found in the latest installments have stripped a lot of features and content in the games, like how you can't use something specifically you like without playing them first online. So that's why it left a lot of players disappointed.

So yeah, that's the thing with change sometimes. They try to "fix" something when it ain't even broke.

And yet they are working on emulating PS4 games on PS5. Why would they do this, if the feature wasn't important?
But that in of it's self isn't enough to make a console a world-wide success.

You are right. I was thinking about enthusiastic gamers that still can't afford an 1,000$ pc or don't want to afford it for whatever reason. You know, the same people which bought an Xbox X or PS4 Pro.
Ok, but I'm talking about people who buy stuff at launch, based mostly on hype. Hyping something up that has no exclusives is a lot harder than one that does. Talking about the new Xbox's life cycle seems pointless because they've only said at launch they'll have no exclusives... so they'll have them down the line...

The Wii was a success story, because it caught the casuals with the motion controller.
:rolleyes:

Exclusives aren't unimportant, but you seem to suggest that without exklusives nobody would buy a console, which was already debunked with Pro and X selling. And let's not forget we are talking about a year.
I don't know what you think you've debunked, but ok. Exclusives (games or experiences) are a big drive if not the big drive for people investing in new console hardware... or indeed any new hardware... at launch. I'm not sure why you bolded that last sentence?

To go back to my previous post;
So the fact that MS has no exclusives at launch is a problem for them because: why would you buy this system when I can play these games on my existing Xbox or PlayStation? If all the Xbox can do is play games nicer, do I really need to spend £500 on that? And there are no good answers to those questions.

@baldgye
You ignored my comment about PS4 Pro and Xbox One X again. Why did people buy these consoles at their launch with 0 exclusives? Some people want to play on console and get the absolute best performance for their bucks.

By the way, we don't know enough about how Microsoft will do their cross gen releases. Forza Horizon 2 was developed by a different team and had significant limitations on Xbox 360. While the Xbox One was way better.

So people that want to play the best console version of an exclusive game would buy an Xbox Series X.

Let's speculate that FM8 has more cars on track and day-/night cycle for example, while the xbox one version don't have these features, because ps4 and xbox one doesn't support real time ray tracing... Which version would you like to play?

Last edited:
@baldgye
You ignored my comment about PS4 Pro and Xbox One X again. Why did people buy these consoles at their launch with 0 exclusives?

So I miss one sentence in a paragraph and I'm not ignoring you... ok...

PS4 Pro and Xbox One X... they sold because they are just updated SKU's of existing consoles... just like the PS1 Mini and the PS2 Slim... and the PS3 Slim.. and the PS3 super slim... and all the variants of the Xbox 360.
They aren't brand new systems they are just more powerful existing systems. Sony and Microsoft went to pains in order to communicate this during their launch.

Also, it's not even true they had zero exclusives... PS4 and Xbox One had a bunch of exclusives... not only that but they both offered exclusive performance improvements over these existing and upcoming platform exclusive titles... so they had exclusive games and offered exclusive experiences... I'd already explained why they sold in my various previous post...

So I miss one sentence in a paragraph and I'm not ignoring you... ok...

PS4 Pro and Xbox One X... they sold because they are just updated SKU's of existing consoles... just like the PS1 Mini and the PS2 Slim... and the PS3 Slim.. and the PS3 super slim... and all the variants of the Xbox 360.
They aren't brand new systems they are just more powerful existing systems. Sony and Microsoft went to pains in order to communicate this during their launch.

Also, it's not even true they had zero exclusives... PS4 and Xbox One had a bunch of exclusives... not only that but they both offered exclusive performance improvements over these existing and upcoming platform exclusive titles... so they had exclusive games and offered exclusive experiences... I'd already explained why they sold in my various previous post...
To bad that the X and Pro didn't offer experiences you couldn't get anywhere else. In fact the games were the same, except for graphics on Xbox One and PS4. Some people still paid 400-500$ for them.

To bad that the X and Pro didn't offer experiences you couldn't get anywhere else. In fact the games were the same, except for graphics on Xbox One and PS4.
Why did you quote me if you didn't read my post?
Then again, I don't know why you are comparing a hardware revision to the launch of a brand new generation of console...

Why did you quote me if you didn't read my post?
Then again, I don't know why you are comparing a hardware revision to the launch of a brand new generation of console...
I read your post, but comparing Pro and X to slim versions is just silly. They are different, because they are upgrades and people paid 400-500$ for them, knowing they won't get exclusive experiences.

Gamers could have sticked to their ps4 and xbox one and play the same games with the same features. But they choose to upgrade and pay an high price for it... An price that isn't different to the launch price of the new consoles, if rumours are accurate.

I read your post, but comparing Pro and X to slim versions is just silly. They are different, because they are upgrades and people paid 400-500$ for them, knowing they won't get exclusive experiences.

Gamers could have sticked to their ps4 and xbox one and play the same games with the same features. But they choose to upgrade and pay an high price for it... An price that isn't different to the launch price of the new consoles, if rumours are accurate.
But he did said "they are just updated SKU's of existing consoles". Still, it doesn't seem to make any sense, since the original and slim versions have the same usual specifications and performance, apart from some things like different hard drive, size and dimensions or power consumption, etc. and probably slightly better performance in gameplay because of that. However, I'm not sure if what I all said is correct about them. Maybe I missed something.

Last edited:

Gamers could have sticked to their ps4 and xbox one and play the same games with the same features.

My standard PS4 can't play games in 4k... a Pro can... how is that the same feature set?

How is comparing two hardware revisions silly? The PS2 Slim had better components than the launch version and was tiny...
knowing they won't get exclusive experiences.
they both offered exclusive performance improvements over these existing and upcoming platform exclusive titles...

and...

I don't know why you are comparing a hardware revision to the launch of a brand new generation of console...

But he did said "they are just updated SKU's of existing consoles"
He did say this, but what difference does it make?

He basically is saying people are paying up to 500$ for an SKU upgrade with no exclusive experiences. But paying 500$ for an new console with new OS features, new games (after one year) and significantly better versions of a exclusive game is hard to sell...

So, getting more for your buck with Series X for 500$ is harder to sell than an Xbox One X with only. graphical upgrades... /s

My standard PS4 can't play games in 4k... a Pro can... how is that the same feature set?
Graphics are different and nothing else. Same player count, quests, same story, same modes, same physics, literally everything related to gameplay and content is the same between PS4 and Pro.

We don't know if Xbox Series X version will be the same. In the past cross gen games had exclusive gameplay features like higher playercount or entire gameplay systems. Shadow of modor had the genesis system, which was exclusive to ps4/xbox one.

Xbox One X games were literally the same games, but we don't know if this will be the case for Series X. The games could have more modes, more features, ... . We just don't know just yet, but if Horizon 2 is any indication then MS doesn't hesitate to make two different version of the same cross gen game.

Last edited:

He basically is saying people are paying up to 500$ for an SKU upgrade with no exclusive experiences. But paying 500$ for an new console with new OS features, new games (after one year) and significantly better versions of a exclusive game is hard to sell...

So, getting more for your buck with Series X for 500$ is harder to sell than an Xbox One X with only. graphical upgrades... /s
I concur. I simply think this all boils down whatever consumer prefer in purchasing their consoles, whether it should have enhanced performance like 4K, fast clock or any other of these stuff for more premium, of course. It's one reason why they are buying these versions, because they probably like having the best performance in them as possible. The new one should be even more better that.

Last edited:
You got it, you’ve found the exclusive feature this hardware revision had. I’ve bolded it for you in the comment below;

Graphics are different and nothing else. Same player count, quests, same story, same modes, same physics, literally everything related to gameplay and content is the same between PS4 and Pro.

Yeah because it’s the same platform...

We don't know if..
That’s why I’m only talking about what we do know...

That’s why I’m only talking about what we do know...
No you don't. We know there will be cross gen games for 1 year. Microsoft didn't say wether those games will be 100% the same or not.

In fact 343 said the Xbox one won't hold back the series X version and we know that Horizon 2 back then had exclusive gameplay features on xbox one. Just like some third party cross gen games.

No you don't. We know there will be cross gen games for 1 year.
What does that have to do with anything we are talking about?

Let’s get back to my original point, which you seem to have misunderstood...

I’m not making any comparison between the new Xbox and the Xbone X, you are.
My stance is that when you launch a brand new platform (which they are doing), you need to go out with big new things you can do with it or it can do.

For a games console it’s primary function is to play games, so having exclusive games is usually a big selling point. Exclusive games are ones that are (especially at launch) tailed to the hardware and it’s new feature set to help sell it. Think of Wii Sports, if the new Xbox has nothing like that (a game that will show off its features and display what it can do) then it’s a much harder sell vs one that does.

Exclusive games are ones that are (especially at launch) tailed to the hardware and it’s new feature set to help sell it
I agree with you that selling a console without next gen exclusives games is harder. We just disagree on the impact of exclusives games and imo cross gen games can still show of and take advantage of the new hardware capabilities.

I’m not making any comparison between the new Xbox and the Xbone X, you are.
My stance is that when you launch a brand new platform (which they are doing), you need to go out with big new things you can do with it or it can do.

For a games console it’s primary function is to play games, so having exclusive games is usually a big selling point. Exclusive games are ones that are (especially at launch) tailed to the hardware and it’s new feature set to help sell it. Think of Wii Sports, if the new Xbox has nothing like that (a game that will show off its features and display what it can do) then it’s a much harder sell vs one that does.
So basically your opinion would have been much more different and positive if only Microsoft announced that there will be some new first-party titles made exclusively for the upcoming Xbox, the complete opposite of this thread's title. Am I right?

So basically your opinion would have been much more different if Microsoft announced that there will be some new titles made exclusively for this upcoming Xbox, the complete opposite of this thread's title. Am I right?
You are... though I'm not sure there would be need for a thread had they announced exclusives :lol:

I agree with you that selling a console without next gen exclusives games is harder.
:bowdown:

You are... though I'm not sure there would be need for a thread had they announced exclusives :lol:
Very funny. :D

Of course, maybe it wouldn't have existed if that was actually the case but someone here could try to make a thread for some of those exclusive games, more so if they're popular. Who knows. We are in the Console & PC gaming subforum, after all.

“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”
It's ********, if you ask me. Buying PS4 with backward compatibility(even as direct ports without enchantments) titles like GTAV, GT4/5/6, GoW, TLoU, Uncharted and Motorstorm would be nobrainer for me. In reality, we get bunch of mediocre games at start. Hell, PS4 still doesnt have proper Gran Turismo game.

MS has only been pushing it so hard because it has nothing else and the Xbone has been an example of how to totally **** up a console launch/cycle.
IDK, maybe its about getting full story on one console? Why would I buy Halo 5, if I dont know anything about story in 5(6?) prequels? Same with Gears, Fable, Witcher or RDR.

Actually, I dont think any game released on PS4/Xbox One in 2013-2014 gain anything from being released as exclusive. Look at GTAV - its gorgeous on both generations.

p.s Battlefield could be better as gen.8 exclusive.

It's ********, if you ask me. Buying PS4 with backward compatibility(even as direct ports without enchantments) titles like GTAV, GT4/5/6, GoW, TLoU, Uncharted and Motorstorm would be nobrainer for me. In reality, we get bunch of mediocre games at start. Hell, PS4 still doesnt have proper Gran Turismo game.

IDK, maybe its about getting full story on one console? Why would I buy Halo 5, if I dont know anything about story in 5(6?) prequels? Same with Gears, Fable, Witcher or RDR.

Actually, I dont think any game released on PS4/Xbox One in 2013-2014 gain anything from being released as exclusive. Look at GTAV - its gorgeous on both generations.

p.s Battlefield could be better as gen.8 exclusive.
Man, how I wish that they also release a good Resistance game for the current and upcoming Sony consoles. If they can expand its gameplay, it would be a great game. The last Resistance game that was released came out 8 years ago.

I plan to hang out with my One X at least until the first true exclusives come out, and then decide if a new console or a gaming PC is in order. The decision is also tied to the display to where I would hook it up, and again, I'm keeping my 1440p display for a couple more years.

p.s Battlefield could be better as gen.8 exclusive
not necessarily. Battlefield already did a great job as an cross gen game, because the PS4 version had an higher playercount than the ps3 version. They limited the scope of the last gen versions of the map, too.

Last edited:
Well, both versions were awfull - PS3 was ugly, PS4 was buggy mess.
Quoted for Truth.

What's this thread about anyway?

There are three stages of early ownership.

First
PS5 will be bought by PlayStation fans.
Xbox will be bought by Xbox fans.

Second
Either console will be bought based on backwards compatibility. Your last Gen therefore is deciding your next Gen.

Third
The purchase of either console will be determined by the exclusive games available to each machine.

By the way, since you'll be able to play all Xbox games on a gaming PC there is no reason to by one at all. Especially if like me you are in need of a new PC.

Last Gen, Microsoft didn't pass a mouth without putting a foot through it, Sony were gifted a lead they were never to give up. One of the ways Microsoft found a way to do something Sony didn't. That was BC. Sony will not let that happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back