Xenn's GT3 Research Topic (Might not be 56k friendly)

• Thread starter Xenn
  • 1,506 comments
Some US manual images.

IMG_20170122_185243156.jpg

Can anyone tell me what track that is in the background? I thought it was maybe the old Super Speedway but I'm not sure.

IMG_20170122_185329939.jpg

Beta HUD, the info on the top right uses a different font, and the position is missing the shadow effect behind it.

IMG_20170122_185555362.jpg

It seems Polyphony took some shots from the NTSC-J version of the game, as the description of the highlighted game mode is in Japanese, and "Clear Status" is replaced with "Goodies".

IMG_20170122_185656074.jpg

Super Speedway's demo video was different, and the track name is written in a different font on the menu.

IMG_20170122_185738416.jpg

I have never seen a Retry button in the game.

IMG_20170122_185816313.jpg

Beta Sim / GT Mode menu. It had some extra text underneath the large "GRAN TURISMO MODE", and it also originally said "welcome to the GRAN TURISMO MODE", while in the final the "welcome to" part was removed.

IMG_20170122_185907481.jpg

Beta Go Race icon. The text underneath the icon was originally black, but was changed.

IMG_20170122_185945294.jpg

Beta Go Race screen, just thought I would show this off since I think it looks weird without any of the leagues being highlighted, and none of the images appearing next to the league list. Also, notice how "Professional League" is simply called "Pro League" here...

I also found some weird things in the credits...

IMG_20170122_190322304.jpg

The Honda Prelude is listed in Honda, a car that I don't recall being in GT3. Could it have appeared at one point?

IMG_20170122_190438371.jpg

It appears there were going to be a lot more Shelbys in GT3 than what we got...

IMG_20170122_190641822.jpg

In Toyota, "Corolla" is listed... I've never seen any shape or form of Corolla in GT3. However, the Sprinter Trueno, which is basically the Corolla Levin's twin brother, does appear. So was the Corolla Levin, likely the AE86 model, meant to appear?

IMG_20170122_190606152.jpg

In Vauxhall / Opel, a "Vectra" is listed... In GT2, a Vectra does appear, so does this mean that Vectra was planned to return for GT3?

Bonus: I also found out what that Data Logger thingy is called in the US version... Analyzer!

IMG_20170122_190101633.jpg
IMG_20170122_190205950.jpg

Some US manual images.

View attachment 622535
Can anyone tell me what track that is in the background? I thought it was maybe the old Super Speedway but I'm not sure.

View attachment 622538
Beta HUD, the info on the top right uses a different font, and the position is missing the shadow effect behind it.

View attachment 622539
It seems Polyphony took some shots from the NTSC-J version of the game, as the description of the highlighted game mode is in Japanese, and "Clear Status" is replaced with "Goodies".

View attachment 622541
Super Speedway's demo video was different, and the track name is written in a different font on the menu.

View attachment 622543
I have never seen a Retry button in the game.

View attachment 622544
Beta Sim / GT Mode menu. It had some extra text underneath the large "GRAN TURISMO MODE", and it also originally said "welcome to the GRAN TURISMO MODE", while in the final the "welcome to" part was removed.

View attachment 622545
Beta Go Race icon. The text underneath the icon was originally black, but was changed.

View attachment 622546
Beta Go Race screen, just thought I would show this off since I think it looks weird without any of the leagues being highlighted, and none of the images appearing next to the league list. Also, notice how "Professional League" is simply called "Pro League" here...

I also found some weird things in the credits...

View attachment 622547
The Honda Prelude is listed in Honda, a car that I don't recall being in GT3. Could it have appeared at one point?

View attachment 622549
It appears there were going to be a lot more Shelbys in GT3 than what we got...

View attachment 622551
In Toyota, "Corolla" is listed... I've never seen any shape or form of Corolla in GT3. However, the Sprinter Trueno, which is basically the Corolla Levin's twin brother, does appear. So was the Corolla Levin, likely the AE86 model, meant to appear?

View attachment 622550
In Vauxhall / Opel, a "Vectra" is listed... In GT2, a Vectra does appear, so does this mean that Vectra was planned to return for GT3?

Bonus: I also found out what that Data Logger thingy is called in the US version... Analyzer!

View attachment 622552 View attachment 622553

Nice, never scene that retry button before.

Those licences seems to be from GT2, thoes cars may one have been planed for the game, plus I'll need to look through the credit pages on the NTSC-J copy, problem is its part Japanese.

Tanner D92 has ripped the menu background videos from the OPS2M demo.

I have never seen that first set of clips in any demo, however the rest are the normal videos you see on the car and track selection screens. For some reason, the car selection background has two videos, one looks more squished than the other.

Tanner D92 has ripped the menu background videos from the OPS2M demo.

I have never seen that first set of clips in any demo, however the rest are the normal videos you see on the car and track selection screens. For some reason, the car selection background has two videos, one looks more squished than the other.

I think because the car select and title screen use the (almost similar) screens. 💡

Wait... why they are running Super Speedway in reverse?

I always thought they used the same background video. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the other video is actually an earlier version, since when the Rome Circuit name flashes across, on the earlier version "Rome Millennium" appears to flash instead. (A rename of Rome in 2000, I see?) A few track names are missing on the earlier version, such as Apricot Hill. Also, when SSR5 appears in the earlier version, its text is in a darker shade of blue.

As for driving in reverse, one thing I noticed is that they do it on Laguna Seca as well, another track which has no existing reverse version in the game. They also don't do it on any of the tracks that DO have a reverse version.

Last edited:
Holy crap, I can't believe they got away with using the West cigarettes logo on the McLarens. :lol:

Well...I guess the McLarens didn't reach consumers, so I guess that's why they could do it.

Bo
Actually, it's neither ETCC or WTCC, it's Romana Bernardoni's car from the 2000 European Super Touring Cup. Just a normal Class 2 car in specs.

I Googled her and found this:

romana%2Bbernardoni.jpg

My mind is all over the floor right now (she's on the far right for inquiring minds).

DK
Holy crap, I can't believe they got away with using the West cigarettes logo on the McLarens. :lol:

Well...I guess the McLarens didn't reach consumers, so I guess that's why they could do it.
They didn't even get in legal trouble by sneaking a Porsche, a small tobacco promo in a test car wouldn't hurt...

Speaking of that McLaren, gotta love that car. The "Test" decal is so ridiculous it's awesome.

@Bo Do you have specs for the car? Seeing as the original source of the information in the article was attributed to the wrong car, I'd prefer it to be correct this time around.

@Bo Do you have specs for the car? Seeing as the original source of the information in the article was attributed to the wrong car, I'd prefer it to be correct this time around.
975kg excluding driver, 1055kg including driver, 2.0l i4 pushing out around 300bhp at 8250rpm.

I Googled her and found this:

romana%2Bbernardoni.jpg

My mind is all over the floor right now (she's on the far right for inquiring minds).

I know this is about the driver on the far right Buuuuut, is the driver next to her who I think it is? He looks VERY familiar.

Apparently @Xenn forgot to unveil us some stuff he was hiding!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here are my opinions on all four tracks, just for the sake of it:

SMOKEY MOUNTAIN SOUTH
Now, this is interesting. In the OPS2M demo and possibly some others, SMS was the name of Swiss Alps and I then said that Swiss Alps was derived from Smokey Mountain South. I never thought that the REAL SMS was meant to be in the game, possibly at the same time as Swiss Alps. Do I prefer it to Swiss Alps? Sort of - they're both better in their own way, I wouldn't like to choose between the two.

APRICOT HILL RACEWAY
This track has been mentioned somewhere in this thread before. I see that it looks more like GT2's but also adds foresty things, like wood huts and, of course, a forest. I don't prefer it to GT3's one as I'm not too keen on the foresty bit, it's too dark and seems a bit unimaginative as it feels and looks exactly like Deep Forest Raceway. However, I do prefer the model of the rumble strips compared to GT3's one which is pretty much used on every single track that has rumble strips. In the beta it seems that they were meant to have different shapes, like the do in GT4.

ROME CIRCUIT
Rome Circuit doesn't seem to have changed so I can't say anything about it.

MIDFIELD RACEWAY
Midfield seems much more like it's GT2 counterpart but I still prefer the final version in GT3. I don't like the shape changes they made in GT4, they even ruined the last chicane which was so epic when you drove on the reverse version. However, I really like the greenery on the last chicane, I've never seen it before but it's really nice.

More interesting stuff Xenn found in the US demo:

Smokey Mountain North
This one is all gravel, alike to its GT2 version, while by the time of the OPS2M demo the tarmac section was added. It also seems the crowds and grandstands are completely absent in this version, which in my opinion made Smokey Mountain a lot more lively in the final.

Slalom 80R aka Complex String
This track is the exact reason Complex String is referred to as "slalom80r" in the final files. I guess this track was intended only for slalom license tests but was changed into one of the most infamous tracks in GT history...

Super Speedway
As you can see, the original plan for Super Speedway was for it to retain its GT2 looks, with some updates, for instance the pit lane building here is similar to the one seen in the final Super Speedway, and there are a few more advertising boards added compared to the GT2 version. I'm guessing the reason why this design of Super Speedway was scrapped and changed to what we know now was only to make the pit road easier to enter, as Super Speedway did have an endurance race on GT3...

Here's quite a few cars which were planned for this game but were never scene.

• Bugatti EB110
  • Veyron Concept
  • R8 Clubsport (Audi?)
  • Lamborghini Diablo VT
  • GT-One 1998 (Gran Turismo 2 Version)
  • Vector M12

The Vector is an actual car hidden inside the demos of GT3. However, it has a placeholder body in all of the demos, and depending on the demo, you may get a different placeholder than everyone else.

For instance, the earliest known demo to feature this car depicts it with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage body:

However, in the middle child OPS2M demo, the body is now from a Honda / Acura NSX, a better fit for the M12 in my opinion:

And lastly, when @EncounterGTR went through the latest known demo, the Store Demo Volume 2, he found the car depicted with the Daihatsu Mira placeholder body, as it would've been in the final version.

I was going to buy a GT3 A-Spec Promo Disc soon, see if any of the OPS2M demo variants are in it.

Just saying that a Promo version of a game is a disc make to show in game shops etc. It might be the same as the normal disc although you might find something.

Back