• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 54 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
So the Alliance of American Football failed- will the XFL fail (again)? I am devoting this thread for discussion of the new XFL apart from the failed XFL of 2001. This isn't your average [gridiron] football league. The new XFL will debut in 2020. For more information on the new XFL, visit: https://www.xfl.com .

Let's discuss this new XFL in this thread! XFL, take two... ACTION!

Other than some vague claims about speeding up the game and having no gimmicks (oh really?), their website doesn't really say anything about how this is going to be different or presumably better than how the NFL does things. I get that they probably want that curiosity factor to spike the first week's ratings, but with the AAF collapsing like it did, they're going to need to be more forthright about how the XFL isn't the same old mess under a different logo.

Also, I didn't see any team names anywhere but I seriously hope they don't call the New York team the Enforcers again, because that's like the most cliche thing ever.

I certainly hope that they're not trying to wait for the NFL to make some big announcement and attempt to steal thunder from that, because that's... not a good idea.

If I had to guess, it's probably something Vince wants to decide himself but hasn't had time due to WWE's current issues. Granted, I wouldn't put it past him to try one-upping the NFL.

If I had to guess, it's probably something Vince wants to decide himself but hasn't had time due to WWE's current issues. Granted, I wouldn't put it past him to try one-upping the NFL.
Maybe, but the article says they already missed two announcement dates regarding it. The longer it takes, the less time there will be to build any proper hype for the start of the season.

The XFL has recently sent out invites to past players to join the league. These invites will be handed out between now and early October. Players are those whom have had experience in the NFL, the CFL, and the defunct AAF. Here is some insight courtesy of ESPN: https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27341402/xfl-send-invitations-players-draft .

By the way, there are no mention of team nicknames for any of the XFL teams at present. I mean, we don't even know if a team could be called any variety of nicknames at this moment.

There are eight teams in this new age XFL. Now, they have names! So cheer on the following (in no particular order):

* Houston Roughnecks
* Seattle Dragons
* Tampa Bay Vipers
* DC Defenders
* Dallas Renegades
* Los Angeles Wildcats
* St. Louis Battlehawks
* New York Guardians

I think it is October when the first XFL Draft will be held for these teams to play in 2020. So now that we know of the teams, it's time to think about who will fill the rosters so we can see who could become champions of the 2020 season. That is... unless they don't even complete their inaugural season, like the American Association of Football (AAF) earlier this year.

You excited for some XFL football?

And the logos, which are a lot more subdued than I expected:

Picture1.png

The Houston logo being an oil derrick like the Oilers logo is a bit ehhh, but I guess there's only so much Texas based iconography to go around.

Probably gonna be grabbing some Seattle merch soon, because dragon. Yeah, that's my process of picking a team to support what of it? :P

Vince McMahon sold $200 million worth of stock to raise capital for this out of his own pocket; let grandad play with his toys.

Wonder if it's going to be like the WWE and the first XFL and not offer health insurance for the players?

Vince McMahon sold $200 million worth of stock to raise capital for this out of his own pocket; let grandad play with his toys.
Vince knows he's got more sunsets behind him than in front of him and given that both Shane and Stephanie are successful on their own, I guarantee he's planning to spend every dime of his fortune on his own interests instead of leaving it for them (see also; that disastrous and expensive political campaign for Linda a few years back)
Wonder if it's going to be like the WWE and the first XFL and not offer health insurance for the players?
Given all the outrage the NFL had to deal with regarding CTE and other head/brain injuries, I feel that health coverage is kind of a mandatory thing for any football league now. I'm sure the press is going to be scrutinizing for something to give the XFL a thrashing with, between the history of the first attempt and the AAF's recent massive collapse.[/quote]

Here in Houston, the *Houston Roughnecks* will play their home games at TDECU Stadium, home of the University of Houston Cougars' football team. I've been to TDECU Stadium before a few years ago, and let me tell you- that stadium is beautiful! There are some fairly nice facilities in the stadium formerly known as Robertson Stadium. It even has a pretty unique view of downtown Houston. I mean, a stadium like this makes you think Houston is in the Big XII. TDECU Stadium is a fairly modern stadium that is a fine place for the Roughnecks to play XFL football. The first games for the new XFL will start on February 8, 2020.

I guess my biggest concern with the XFL is learning from the Association of American Football (AAF). What can the XFL do to make sure they don't become a passing fad like the AAF was? These two leagues are two different animals. That said, though, will this XFL redux fare better than the AAF or even the first attempt at XFL football? That will be my storyline regarding the XFL. Maybe it would be cool if good ol' J.R. called a few games, like he did during the first XFL.

If you want to educate yourself on the old XFL, you can probably find a handful of YouTube videos on the old XFL. Those may even include the famous "He Hate Me" player.

With XFL 2.0 set to debut about a month from now, some of the new rules of the XFL were recently announced. So do you want to know how the XFL will play its games? Take a look at this: https://www.xfl.com/rules

You certainly can't fault the XFL for being bold. Comment about these unique rules if you like.

With XFL 2.0 set to debut about a month from now, some of the new rules of the XFL were recently announced. So do you want to know how the XFL will play its games? Take a look at this: https://www.xfl.com/rules

You certainly can't fault the XFL for being bold. Comment about these unique rules if you like.
I rather like the idea of replacing the extra point kick with an extra play that gives more points the farther back it starts. Especially since there's a possibility the defending team can score off it, so it becomes a risk vs. reward decision rather then just a formality.

The overtime format is rather interesting too, I'm wondering how that will work out exactly.

I don't know about the other XFL cities, but I've been seeing a commercial marketing the Houston Roughnecks. It seems to me like the new XFL could potentially last much longer than the Alliance of American Football (AAF). So once the weekend after Super Bowl LIV comes, get ready for XFL football!

I accidentally posted what I meant to post in another thread! Here's what I meant to post properly here...

Football is SO over... NOT! This weekend debuts the XFL! This XFL is a bit different from the one you may recall from the 2000s. We all saw how much the Alliance of American Football (AAF) had its sunrise... followed by its sudden sunset. Something tells me the XFL will last longer than the AAF, but we'll see HOW long with this 2020 season of XFL football. The fun begins this Saturday! You can watch the XFL action on FOX.

To give you an idea of the former XFL and what this new XFL has to try to better, here is some perspective on the old XFL:

Let's see how today's XFL will last considering its previous attempt. That's why I called this as "XFL 2.0" after looking back at the old XFL. I originally was going to post a video of a proper XFL game, but I decided to focus on looking back at the old XFL instead of showing a full-length video of a game.

Since I'm from Houston, I'll support my Houston Roughnecks. We're taking on the Los Angeles Wildcats on Saturday here in Houston. Let's see how this new XFL goes...

All things aside, the quality of the gameplay is really going to determine how well the XFL is received. I went back and watched a couple AAF games a little while ago, and... well, they weren't really that good. I'm sure that dulled a lot of the early interest in it.

The XFL could get a bit of a grace period since there's different rules that the players may need to adjust to, but sloppy performances aren't going to impress anyone.

Thing is, NFL games aren't flawless. I know I saw some Cowboys games that were almost painful. Funny, but painful.

Any not-NFL isn't gonna be working with A level players, maybe not even B level. That said, you are spot on. XFL:Ressurection has to take the C-grade personnel and make it look...not bad.

There are enough people disenfranchised from the Cowboys, almost solely thanks to Jerry Jones, that even if it falls again, the Renegades will have a following as long as they keep advertising. Playing in Globe Life Park, the place the Rangers left, helps too.

I hope you all enjoy whatever XFL action that interests you this weekend! If the XFL sleeps with the fishes [again] like with the AAF, then I guess you can always follow Arena Football as your Spring/Summer football fix. Let's see how XFL 2.0 goes.

Tickets don't look to be horrible. $70-80 for seats near the field, $20? for the cheap seats.

Having never been in a multi-use stadium, do the floorplans always look awkward? Globe Life looks weird on the ticket map.

The Houston Roughnecks defeated the Los Angeles Wildcats 37-17. The Roughnecks struck first on a beautiful deep touchdown pass. Roughnecks' defense was absolutely feisty and stingy, forcing four turnovers on the Wildcats. Our only mistake was a late interception in the end zone. By that point, though, the game was pretty much already decided. Inconsequential pick late, but we still won. The Houston Roughnecks will host the St. Louis Battlehawks next Sunday.

My early impressions of XFL 2.0- I like it. It has some spunk and some unique rules. Maybe not as attitude-infused as the old XFL, but I like it for the most part.

I completely forgot about this being on today. I do want to look in on it and see some of these new rules in place.

Didn't get a chance to watch a game due to work scheduling, but it seems like the initial reactions I've seen online have been trending on the side of positive so that's a good sign.

And this sign is pretty good too.
GfnKMxq.jpg

Yeah, I heard Vince McMahon was in the house here in Houston to see the Wildcats at Roughnecks game. No wait... *Vincent... Kennedy... McMahon!* The Roughnecks surely had "ruthless aggression" last night in their win.

The first two games of XFL 2.0's maiden season were played; two more games to be played today. So if you didn't get a taste of the XFL yesterday, you have another chance today to see some XFL football.

Here are the results of the XFL's opening weekend, in case you missed them:

* SEA Dragons at DC Defenders (31-19; DC)
* LA Wildcats at HOU Roughnecks (37-17; Houston)
* TP Vipers at NY Guardians (23-3; New York)
* STL Battlehawks at DAL Renegades (15-9; St. Louis)

Congratulations to all winners from this first week of XFL action. Any of you want to share your impressions of this first week of this new style of XFL football? What do you think about your favorite team(s)? Let's chat!

We already have our first firing of the new XFL! Reportedly, the Los Angeles Wildcats fired their Defensive Coordinator, Pepper Johnson, after the Wildcats allowed four touchdowns scored on them when they played at my Houston Roughnecks this past Saturday. Wow! It's only the first game of the season, and you fire this dude after just one game? Does L.A. have lofty expectations to win it all or something?

I watched the first game out of curiosity. I will say the product on the field exceeded my expectations, it wasn't great, but it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I like the idea behind the new Kickoff, which was designed that way for safety, and it seems to be working as designed. The game altogether was about 30 minutes shorter than an NFL game so they did speed up the game a bit. I also like the 25 sec play clock too. The XFL has some nice ideas that the NFL should pay attention to. For those curious about the ratings, it brought in 3.3 million viewers over the weekend which exceeded the expectation of 2.9 million.

Back