You Have to try Motion Control Steering

After using both steering control methods, what will you permanently use in GT Sport?

• Total voters
Ever since discovering motion control i've never played F1 2017.

Only really the force feedback and potentially the braking with the pedals.

I found that the motion control is so good i cant be bothered to use the wheel.

I dont have a permanent space for it so having to get it out to set it up each time was a pain.

The motion controller is a nice happy medium for me

THE "only" part is actually the most essential :) having good feedback will allow you to determine when the car is about to oversteer, and being able to control the throttle precisely due to the angle of the arc of the pedal set will make a huge difference, believe me. Also trail braking is a lot easier when you learn how to brake properly - this is what the wheel is all about - other than that the motion control is truly great - used it for a month before I got my wheel - the only problem was I could not be precise enough on throttle/brake with the triggers :)

THE "only" part is actually the most essential :) having good feedback will allow you to determine when the car is about to oversteer, and being able to control the throttle precisely due to the angle of the arc of the pedal set will make a huge difference, believe me. Also trail braking is a lot easier when you learn how to brake properly - this is what the wheel is all about - other than that the motion control is truly great - used it for a month before I got my wheel - the only problem was I could not be precise enough on throttle/brake with the triggers :)

I dont think anyone is arguing a motion controller is as good as a wheel. It's just merely a very good alternative.

I might give this a go, it's not always convenient to get out my wheel/pedals and set them up, as I don't have space to have them setup permanently,

It also makes online racing a little easier. Its easier to be smoother and a bit more predictable to people around you.

While I happily play PC2 with motion steering on ps4pro, I cannot get comfortable with the way it works in GTS. Controller sensitivity doesn't seem to have an effect on motion steering (and if any, the effect is VERY subtle). I hold the DS4 flat, and just lift the sides to steer, but it gets very uncomfortable as I approach 90°position, let alone exceed that angle. It would be better if I could reduce the input motion required to reach lock (like with a Negcon or a wheel). Like with the sticks, sensitivity seems to only change the response curve of steering, while adjustment of input range is needed for motion controlled input.

While I happily play PC2 with motion steering on ps4pro, I cannot get comfortable with the way it works in GTS. Controller sensitivity doesn't seem to have an effect on motion steering (and if any, the effect is VERY subtle). I hold the DS4 flat, and just lift the sides to steer, but it gets very uncomfortable as I approach 90°position, let alone exceed that angle. It would be better if I could reduce the input motion required to reach lock (like with a Negcon or a wheel). Like with the sticks, sensitivity seems to only change the response curve of steering, while adjustment of input range is needed for motion controlled input.
As mentioned previously in this thread, the controller stops working when you go beyond 90 degrees. It's built like that by Sony. Just FYI again :)

I think PD implemented the motion controls perfectly so there is no need at all for me to fiddle with any settings. On the contrary, I am still trying to get motion controls to work as smoothly and precisely in PCars2. Would you mind telling me your settings?

Also, I hold the controller upright like a tiny wheel. For that, the range of motion is almost perfect. Given that full steering lock is achieved with a little less than 90 degrees, I can always be sure that when I tilt the controller full 90 I have the maximum steering angle.

Last edited:
Ever since discovering motion control i've never played F1 2017.
Haha, since I started using motion controls I have thought about what it would be like if I wanted to play a new F1 game or DiRT for instance in the future when I am completely used to motion controls. I could absolutely get used to using the stick again but I wonder if it would be as fun to use. Then again, there are some YouTubers who have used wheel but prefer controller, e.g. Super GT - but actually he said that he uses controller because it's faster on Forza. For pure fun I wonder if he would use a wheel instead.

I think PD implemented the motion controls perfectly so there is no need at all for me to fiddle with any settings. On the contrary, I am still trying to get motion controls to work as smoothly and precisely in PCars2. Would you mind telling me your settings?

Also, I hold the controller upright like a tiny wheel. For that, the range of motion is almost perfect. Given that full steering lock is achieved with a little less than 90 degrees, I can always be sure that when I tilt the controller full 90 I have the maximum steering angle.

I gather a lot of people find it easier holding the controller flat rather than like a wheel

Well, not for me. I don't hold the wheel "flat" in my real car. ;-)

The reason i hold it flat is because i find on tight corners i.e hairpins my arm/wrists dont get crossed up as much and makes braking/accelerating easier.

Plus my arms dont ache that way.

Its seems strange at first but is easier as a normal wheel isnt about 7 inches wide.

Haha, since I started using motion controls I have thought about what it would be like if I wanted to play a new F1 game or DiRT for instance in the future when I am completely used to motion controls. I could absolutely get used to using the stick again but I wonder if it would be as fun to use. Then again, there are some YouTubers who have used wheel but prefer controller, e.g. Super GT - but actually he said that he uses controller because it's faster on Forza. For pure fun I wonder if he would use a wheel instead.

Funnily enough since i purchased GTS , F1 2017 hasnt even been used. Lacking enthusiasm to go back to stick racing.

Polyphony COMPLETELY ruined the game for me with update 1.10. I can't tell you how mad and sad I am right now.

In my opinion, motion controls were perfectly implemented. Now they decreased the total range of motion from about 100°-120° to hardly 90°, the center dead zone is too big now and the whole thing feels twitchy and imprecise. Worst of all, the motions that you do as a player don't match the driver's hands at all anymore when you are playing in cockpit view. Immersion totally gone.

Polyphony COMPLETELY ruined the game for me with update 1.10. I can't tell you how mad and sad I am right now.

In my opinion, motion controls were perfectly implemented. Now they decreased the total range of motion from about 100°-120° to hardly 90°, the center dead zone is too big now and the whole thing feels twitchy and imprecise. Worst of all, the motions that you do as a player don't match the driver's hands at all anymore when you are playing in cockpit view. Immersion totally gone.
Looks like I made the right decision when I bought a T300. I couldn't drive with the controller in the full game.

I suggest everyone do the same because it looks like PD is crippling controller steering on purpose because it controlls nothing like GT6 or the closed beta :)

I tried motion DS4 control before the patch the turning was a little too much but this new update fixed this so i should try again but the main point is that after a while with motion control it's really hard to go back to the analogs it's like you forgot how to drive with analogs.

I didn't complain about it anywhere before the patch only thought about that sometimes the turining was too much so this new update changed this to the opposite too little turning ?

J.D
I didn't complain about it anywhere before the patch only thought about that sometimes the turining was too much so this new update changed this to the opposite too little turning ?

Not you but obviously many others. How could there be "too much turning" when every single degree of range of motion gives you more control and precision? This is a joke now... Not really better than the stick...

It was not even 180° before the patch and perfectly manageable.

I had no problems with motion steering today. The maximum input angle was never over 90 degrees. As for the complaints about cockpit view, I went back to chase cam so I can't comment on that.

I had no problems with motion steering today. The maximum input angle was never over 90 degrees. As for the complaints about cockpit view, I went back to chase cam so I can't comment on that.

It was definitely more, about 120°. I used it from week 1, about 150 hours into the game.

It was definitely more, about 120°. I used it from week 1, about 150 hours into the game.
Strange that; it was way under 45 for me at a standstill and around 70-80 at speed. Anyway I like it being less; it's a bit easier on the arms.

T he 1.10 has decreased the motion steer maximum rotation input and the game is now ruined. The immersion of holding a wheel is broken.

How do we get the message to pd to change it back OR give us an option to set the maximum degres of rotation by ourselfs? I'm really sad about this.

I feel exactly the same. Do you think it will be adjusted again? We should send the developers a message about thier mess up.

I know some people have complained about not being able to do the rotation. I don't know how they can't do it..... It is really easy.

And pd listened to them:(

Glad I am not the only one who massively dislikes this. First they softened the physics, now they ruined the steering. Can't stand how motion controls feel now. Glad I have Project Cars 2 laying around... :-(

No clue on how to get the word to PD. Twitter maybe?

Glad I am not the only one who massively dislikes this. First they softened the physics, now they ruined the steering. Can't stand how motion controls feel now. Glad I have Project Cars 2 laying around... :-(

No clue on how to get the word to PD. Twitter maybe?

Yes twitter many. Don't they have emailes. Gues not. How did they soften the physics?

I started playing project cars 2 yesterday in anger. I presume you use motion steer. What setting do you use?

Pc2 messed up big time in my opinion with motion steer in cockpit. The visual wheel is made for a stick. It hardly moves. Pc1 was better in that regard.

Yes twitter many. Don't they have emailes. Gues not. How did they soften the physics?

I started playing project cars 2 yesterday in anger. I presume you use motion steer. What setting do you use?

Pc2 messed up big time in my opinion with motion steer in cockpit. The visual wheel is made for a stick. It hardly moves. Pc1 was better in that regard.

I am still fiddling with the settings. Deadzone 5, sensitivity 45, controller damper 0, speed sensitivity 50 and steering damper also 0 iirc. Would have to start the game and check. I like the large almost 180° range of motion in PCars2, but the rest is either too twitchy or too unresponsive.

On the main screen, hit options, go to settings, go to the controller, and look for the steering controls in the upper left area.
Ok I found the steering controls in options, but it doesn't seem to let me change it from using the left stick :( Maybe I am missing something?

Back