You Have to try Motion Control Steering

After using both steering control methods, what will you permanently use in GT Sport?

• Total voters
Motion control is awesome!

Next thing to try now is to get rid of auto, what does everyone here have gears mapped as?

I started using motion control after reading about them here, when I was up to 7th row of missions, didn't think much to start with, but after doing a few sports mode races as well am now scared to go back! Then discovered using it vertically like a wheel is better on my wrists too!
Have already finished school/ missions with sticks, going back through getting silver/ gold much easier with mc

Are there any more aids to turn off other than braking/ steering? I have kept the visual apex markers for now, but once i know the tracks a bit better i will turn them off. I set TCS to 2 sometimes but learning the tracks is still getting me better results than playing with TCS.

I am loving that I just need to spend time on the game and seeing rewarded lap times for it, after the 2 kids are in bed is the only time i manage to turn the PS on, I bought it just for this game! (though had to get a few others oc). atm my diligence in the last lap is costing me dearly, getting punted off track by rockets i should have seen coming!

Circle up gears, Square down gears. X handbrake , triangle reverse

Going to have to try this later today. A bit skeptical because I’ve tried it before using Steam Controller on PC and it didn’t work well for me, but maybe this is different.

I used the analogue stick in GT6 but went back to using the directional pad in this game because it was the default setting. I've used the d-pad in every test, mission and race. Now I'm on the Nurburgring Meister missions and it's the first time I've felt like the d-pad doesn't give me the amount of control I need. If could afford a wheel I would use that...I'll give motion control a chance but I'm afraid it will take too much time to adjust to at this point.

I gave motion control a try last night and didn’t really get on with it. It felt too vague to me. Certainly it would take s lot if getting used to. I’ll do a bit of practice each day with it but stick to DS4 for now.

Also struggled with MT trial but that’s probably for another thread.

I tired motion controls about a week ago on a One Make race 'Bristol' (as I call it). It was pretty funny, I was .5 quicker than the standard controls, poled 1st, switch back to standard for the race and finished 5th.

I really just want to catch that track pop back up as a daily and actually try to race with the MC... while drunk.

Is there a way to reduce the steering angle? On the HUD (speedometer road view) you see the red dot indicating how far you are steering. Well to get max to the left or right side I need to turn my controller 90 degrees. But I would like to reduce that to about 45 degrees while still giving max steering input to the game so that for this 45 degrees the red dot is still completely to the left or right.

Is that possible to set up that way with motion control?
At 90 degrees the controller stops functioning. It's built like that, at least mine is.
Never turn over 89 degrees.

Count me in guys. How exactly does the controller sensitivity option affect steering? I tried to figure it out today but couldn't.

Count me in guys. How exactly does the controller sensitivity option affect steering? I tried to figure it out today but couldn't.

I think that the higher the sensitivity of the controller is, the lower the degree angle of the motion control is. For example, if you are on 3, then 90 degrees should be full left/right and from then on you can experiment (not 100% sure about that, just my observations).

I think that the higher the sensitivity of the controller is, the lower the degree angle of the motion control is. For example, if you are on 3, then 90 degrees should be full left/right and from then on you can experiment (not 100% sure about that, just my observations).
I thought that would be so but it didn't seem the case. I was watching the red dot indicator and it behaved the same for each sensitivity but I thought about it afterwards and I think it might be to do with the relationship between the steering input and in-game tyre rotation. I'll try to work it out again next time I'm on.

I am getting pretty good with motion control steering. On the replays the car shows gradual steering like it is supposed to be, not like the tapping on an analog stick.

Some questions:
1. Is there a decent plastic housing that makes the DS4 controller feel more like a wheel?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HOBVQW/?tag=gtplanet-20
Something like the above, but the reviews on this product are meh. The Nintendo Wii wheel controllers have much better reviews.
2. How do folks control the throttle and brakes? I have been using the tap method or on/off/half method. This is perhaps the part that can't be as precise vs steering wheel setups.

The sensitivity setting does not affect motion control. It is for the use of the analog stick only. I play with motion control almost since day one, have gold on all driving school tests, track challenges and 75% of the missions. Trust me, it does nothing. I tried the settings on -2 and 7 back and forth several times and can't feel any difference.

I love this method. For me, it is precise enough and so much fun that I decided against a wheel, at least for now. I hold the controller upright, like a tiny wheel, L2/R2 for acceleration and breaking with the index fingers. I use L1/R1 for manual gear switching with my thumbs, works pretty well for my hand size.

I am getting pretty good with motion control steering. On the replays the car shows gradual steering like it is supposed to be, not like the tapping on an analog stick.

Some questions:
1. Is there a decent plastic housing that makes the DS4 controller feel more like a wheel?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HOBVQW/?tag=gtplanet-20
Something like the above, but the reviews on this product are meh. The Nintendo Wii wheel controllers have much better reviews.
2. How do folks control the throttle and brakes? I have been using the tap method or on/off/half method. This is perhaps the part that can't be as precise vs steering wheel setups.
I use the right stick for throttle/brake. Only downside is you can't accelerate and brake at the same time which can give some unwanted weight shifts sometimes under braking/corner entry. My hands are to big to use the shoulder pads for acc/brake.
Gears on L2/R2.

Hold the DualShock 4 controller upside down, with pointy things at top instead of bottom. Change the settings so that L3 is shift up. R3 is shift down. Left Analog stick is accelerate, Right analog stick is brake.

The sensitivity setting does not affect motion control. It is for the use of the analog stick only. I play with motion control almost since day one, have gold on all driving school tests, track challenges and 75% of the missions. Trust me, it does nothing. I tried the settings on -2 and 7 back and forth several times and can't feel any difference.

I love this method. For me, it is precise enough and so much fun that I decided against a wheel, at least for now. I hold the controller upright, like a tiny wheel, L2/R2 for acceleration and breaking with the index fingers. I use L1/R1 for manual gear switching with my thumbs, works pretty well for my hand size.
The sensitivity setting works for me? Barely have to turn the motion controller to steer on the max setting whereas the opposite applies on the min setting

Okay strange... As mentioned I really tried min and max setting a couple of times and didn't notice a difference. Just kept it at 0 then...
This is what I noticed too - no difference. An option would be nice to change the degrees of rotation required for full lock.

Gonna bump this thread juuuust in case there is anyone new on the forum who might be encouraged to try this. Not that I want to bump the thread for the sake of it but I must say that cockpit view is a blast when you switch from thumbstick to motion control. Your controller actually feels like a wheel, which is a feeling that, for me, the stick couldn't provide in any racing game. Not tried it online though, which might be another matter.

Whoa... totally changed my game around. Works really well. I have been struggling trying to gold the CE lap on Mt Panorama. Switched to motion control after reading this thread and after 45min of getting used to it i was able to put in a 0.5sec faster lap than I had previously right away. This smooths out my steering drastically and makes those s-corners sooo much more enjoyable. No need for a steering wheel now. Thanks for the advice!

Whoa... totally changed my game around. Works really well. I have been struggling trying to gold the CE lap on Mt Panorama. Switched to motion control after reading this thread and after 45min of getting used to it i was able to put in a 0.5sec faster lap than I had previously right away. This smooths out my steering drastically and makes those s-corners sooo much more enjoyable. No need for a steering wheel now. Thanks for the advice!
If you have the money and the space for it, you shouldn't disregard a wheel. A wheel is very much different (better imo) than the motion control. Which in turn is a lot better than the stick.
Go for the wheel!

If you have the money and the space for it, you shouldn't disregard a wheel. A wheel is very much different (better imo) than the motion control. Which in turn is a lot better than the stick.
Go for the wheel!

Yeah in an ideal world I could afford that. Plus I sit on the ground since my couch has no support anymore lol the controller aids my whole standing/sitting in weird places

What does the wheel offer (other than force feedback) that is superior to motion control?

Yeah in an ideal world I could afford that. Plus I sit on the ground since my couch has no support anymore lol the controller aids my whole standing/sitting in weird places

What does the wheel offer (other than force feedback) that is superior to motion control?
Well, it's just easier with the wheel being more precise and easier to control when you have to make smaller adjustments.
If you have the chance to try a wheel somewhere, you could check for yourself.
I don't own a wheel anymore and I can't really justify buying one as I don't play that much. But the motion steering is definitely a good substitute...

Gonna bump this thread juuuust in case there is anyone new on the forum who might be encouraged to try this. Not that I want to bump the thread for the sake of it but I must say that cockpit view is a blast when you switch from thumbstick to motion control. Your controller actually feels like a wheel, which is a feeling that, for me, the stick couldn't provide in any racing game. Not tried it online though, which might be another matter.

Ever since discovering motion control i've never played F1 2017.

Only really the force feedback and potentially the braking with the pedals.

I found that the motion control is so good i cant be bothered to use the wheel.

I dont have a permanent space for it so having to get it out to set it up each time was a pain.

The motion controller is a nice happy medium for me

Back