You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,186 comments
Ford F150 NASCAR Special Edition:
upload_2016-10-25_18-36-51-png.600748
I actually know someone that use to own one of those. He doesn't have it anymore as he replaced it with a F-350 dually.

Forgot I saw this a couple of days ago, and apparently they're rare as golden poo in my toilet. i saw it driving and saw the Audi rings making me scratch my head in disbelieve, as I had never seen a small Audi like this.

Audi_50.jpg

Audi 50. Essentially a more luxurious Polo. Designed and build side by side with the Polo, but outsold by it so Audi stopped building them.

And from the Dutch wiki page : Because they were build with 70's Italian quality steel almost all of the 180000 cars build have rusted away. in 2005 a little over 500 were known to the German authorities and most likely a lot less are still driveable

Forgot I saw this a couple of days ago, and apparently they're rare as golden poo in my toilet. i saw it driving and saw the Audi rings making me scratch my head in disbelieve, as I had never seen a small Audi like this.

Audi_50.jpg

Audi 50. Essentially a more luxurious Polo. Designed and build side by side with the Polo, but outsold by it so Audi stopped building them.

And from the Dutch wiki page : Because they were build with 70's Italian quality steel almost all of the 180000 cars build have rusted away. in 2005 a little over 500 were known to the German authorities and most likely a lot less are still driveable

I've only ever seen one. It's surprising they didn't do the Golf, too.

Autocars Carmel
upload_2016-10-29_21-6-51.png

Introduced in the late 60's, the Autocars Carmel was sold in Israel. It was based off the Hino Contessa. Oddly enough, this Israeli-Japanese car was supposed to be sold in America, but never made it.​

1970 Toyota EX-7 Concept
A supercar concept by Toyota that was shown at the 1970 Tokyo Motor Show. It was based on the platform of the Toyota 7 Can-Am race car and it made 450 HP from a detuned version of the Toyota 7's 5.0 liter V8. The car also had doors shaped like a gull-wing door, but the hinge was at the rear of the roof section of the door and each door opened to the rear.

I think I might have found my new favorite concept car!
toyota_ex-7_01.jpg

Last edited:
-> ...
Yeah, I honestly didn't know that Honda made a sedan version of the Civic SiR. I just assumed that they were hatchbacks only, I only know because I saw one for sale on japanese classics.
wallpapers_honda_civic_1991_2_800x600.jpg
^ And heres one for sale right now in Richmond, VA!

LINK

Holy crap that is expensive! Do you guys seriously pay $12.5k for a Civic? They're cheaper in auctions in Japan than that, with under half the mileage.

Price is always inflated when you go through a business like that. They need some way to make money after all. It is cheaper if you do it yourself, if I recall correctly.

Price is always inflated when you go through a business like that. They need some way to make money after all. It is cheaper if you do it yourself, if I recall correctly.

But by how much of a margin? There's another EG9 that didn't sell for it's starting price of ¥1,278,000 for multiple months - 71,000km, grade 3.5 - a couple hundred bucks cheaper (USD). It sold in auction for ¥910,000, $8.7k USD. Sure enough, after considering importation, legalisation and paying for jobs, I would suspect it'd about the same, or around 13 - 14k USD. But that's obvious, because it has ~100,000km less mileage.

I mean, they could be doing a fair raise in price after inflating, but they would have had to have bought one hell of an overpriced EG9 to begin with.

-> ...

^ And heres one for sale right now in Richmond, VA!

LINK
That's the one he's talking about. :P
Yup, that's the one I was talking about. Though, I don't think I would pay the price for it if I had the money, I can't rationalize spending money on a Honda Civic SiR when I could get a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo listed at a similar price.

Yeah, I honestly didn't know that Honda made a sedan version of the Civic SiR. I just assumed that they were hatchbacks only, I only know because I saw one for sale on japanese classics.
wallpapers_honda_civic_1991_2_800x600.jpg

Did you never play Gran Turismo 1 growing up?

Or are we at that point where members on this forum were born well after GT1 and GT2 and simply weren't around to play them?

Last edited:

Or are we at that point where members on this forum were born well after GT1 and GT2 and simply weren't around to play them?
I'd say the latter.

I'd say the latter.
I played both GT1 and GT2 from when I was little to now. I played the US version of both games though and the Civic Ferio SiR was listed as a normal Civic sedan, I just assumed until now that it represented a regular Civic sedan until recently since I never checked the international releases to see what it was.

Last edited:
American versions of GT1 stripped trim levels of cars sold in America when the trim level wasn't. The Civic Type R was renamed Civic (Racer) for example.

I was born four years after GT1, yet I still have played the older GT games.

American versions of GT1 stripped trim levels of cars sold in America when the trim level wasn't. The Civic Type R was renamed Civic (Racer) for example.

Interesting to know. Seems like the US missed out on the education in JDM, that in the UK especially, led to the influx of grey market imports.

Proton Putra WRC Prototype :

ada612bec70a559351fa27eee6dd0aaa.jpg

Doesn't it look similar to a certain car ? probably because Prodrive helped Proton develop the car. It was cancelled with unknown reason, though there are rumors.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a748gr3/
This appeared on my Facebook feed, it's a rather interesting story. It looks so much the like the Impreza WRC 2-door...

Now this one is bound to be a rare sight on the road... any kind of road;
3237326795_372c3cac19_z.jpg

The Yugo GTV Convertible. Found this one as I was finding my way through Popular Mechanics (incredibly) vast archive on Google Books, as part of a "Imports '89" feature. Only 75 were ever made, and it was supposed to be Yugo's ticket into great US success. Except they probably forgot about the brand's reputation (or lack thereof, depending on how you see it) and its financial difficulties. So, the 'vert was left with about 75 cars made and the US division went belly up in 1991 (while the hometown factory got blown up to pieces thanks to the war in Serbia).

To be frank, I know a few reasons why the Convertible wasn't that successful; first off, the Yugo brand itself. Secondly, the price; Popular Mechanics's estimated price was $8300. A Pontiac LeMans Aerocoupe cost you about $6714. It may sound like a farfetched comparison, but more people in the US would be willing to spend $6k on a rebadged 2-door Opel Kadett than blow $8k on a Yugo...

Back