You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
BMW Karmann Asso di Quadri

24595268393_754b1b737c_b.jpg
24595268433_754b1b737c_b.jpg

Reminds me of the Isuzu Piazza. Same design house rehashing a concept for another manufacturer to put into production? I know Bertone did that with a concept for BL that later became a Citroen.
It's more like a mixture between a Lancia Beta Monte Carlo, BMW M1 and Isuzu Piazza.

Budget Fiat Dino?

Based on the slightly more modest but still nippy 125S. The one I missed I believe is the only RHD model registered in the UK and a previous owner swapped out the 1.6 engine for a 2.0 from a Fiat Argenta.

^ I like the the colored tiles on the wheels, very subtle.

I didn't know about the Ducati powered VW XL Sport concept
vw_xl_sport_concept_open_doors.jpg

z1.jpg
04_vw_xl_sport.jpg

The wooden shifter is a nice touch

Noice, shades of the Nardo in side profile especially.

Rochdale Olympic phase II

1172140976-2006%20Aug%20rochdale.jpg

b0a48254-fdf4-421e-bf76-c7922710d5f8_zps29a10c7d.jpg

I love this. It reminds me of so many different cars, only shrunken. Only found out about it today, also not quite sure but it may belong in the kit car thread. Although there are others, it looks as though this one's a one off. Apparently the original designer had it gifted to him, to celebrate 50 years of the original design. He changed it by fitting modern running gear.

Here's a few Buicks I found from a time when they were more interesting than today's rebadged Opels.
11615175.jpg

Buick Nighthawk-a special version of the Skyhawk that had unique reflective decals that banished this model to a single year of production, due to concerns of the decals blinding other drivers. In its place came the Roadhawk:
buick-skyhawk-11.jpg

Moving to the late 70s, we have the dawn of Buicks foray into turbocharging, including the awkward looking 'Aeroback' Century Turbo Coupe, powered by a turbocharged version of their 3.8L V6, which found its way into other GM models, like the Monte Carlo for instance.
008-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Finally, we have the 80s, the decade of the T-Type craze. Besides the Regal, both the LeSabre and Century received sportier appearances than their geriatric brethren.
37e7e008402568cd2943ea75784028dc.jpg

46029bafd966a1170d93d6b165bccc5b.jpg

The LeSabre even had some sporting roots to boot! (As well as Buick's venerable 3800 V6 under the hood)
buick-lesabre-t-type-06.jpg

This one didn't actually exist, but is more of an oh-so-nearly.

Anyway, was just casually reading about the old GT1 regs of the 90's and the how they came to be, along with the all the legendary cars, and how they developed, when I stumbled upon something new to me; Audi's then planned GT1 project.

Audi GT1 project.jpg

Basically, Audi decided to get into GT racing, and get in on some of the fun that the likes of Merc and Porsche were enjoying. At the time however, the TT was Audi's only true sports car, and as a result it formed the basis for their GT project; code-named Aurora.

The initial proposal was to create a car eligible for the GT2 class, by using the TT as a base on which to create a race car. This GT2 machine would be called the G-TT, and was planned to vaguely resemble a TT, but generally look more dramatic and be mid-engined; unlike the TT, utilising a twin turbo V8 in the process.

Beyond creating a GT2-spec machine, Audi considered that that the next step would be to obviously turn this into a GT1 machine; with this part of the project evolving into the R8 GT1.

Looks like things got beyond the simple sketch stage, as Audi even created a smaller scale model of the design to use for wind tunnel testing, where they used the ex Brabham F1 team rolling road wind tunnel.

Audi G-TT WInd tunnel model.jpg

Either way, turns out things were pretty serious, as they reportedly conducted over 550 "runs" with well over 50 different variations of the original concept created.

Also, with this being a potential GT1 entry, there would have been the need to consider making a road car, and apparently Audi wanted to go down the route of creating a road car from the race car; much like Toyota and Merc did etc, instead of the other way round.

Audi G-TT GT1 Project.jpg

Spec wise the G-TT road car was designed to produce around 450bhp and be fully bespoke beast, whilst no specs seem to have been released about the proposed R8 GT1; though I'd imagine it would've been around 600bhp like the rest of the GT1 cars at the time.

Audi G-TT specs.jpg

The initial idea was reportedly summarised in late '96, with a view to eventually entering a GT1 eligible machine for the 1998 season. However the big bosses at Audi saw that the new LMP class was the way to go, so the original idea was set aside, and instead developed into the R8 LMP which we know now.

Last edited:
STP-Paxton Turbine

And as the name suggests, it's powered by a gas turbine. Though this one uses a detuned version of one used in aircraft
STP_Turbine.jpg

gjuxkhh1exig8bhn52je.jpg

Interesting bit is that it lacked a clutch and gearbox, instead the engine is mated to a single-speed torque converter (the engine was even next to the driver!). Apparently though there was throttle lag, from when you hit the gas and the car accelerating up to speed.

The car saw only two races, at the 1967 and 68 Indy 500, but sadly both were unable to finish due to mechanical issues. The former was due to tranny failure (where the driver, Parnelli Jones lead the entire race, but led into failure just eight miles to go), the latter a crash during qualifying. The car never raced again after that.

STP-Paxton Turbine

And as the name suggests, it's powered by a gas turbine. Though this one uses a detuned version of one used in aircraft
STP_Turbine.jpg

gjuxkhh1exig8bhn52je.jpg

Interesting bit is that it lacked a clutch and gearbox, instead the engine is mated to a single-speed torque converter (the engine was even next to the driver!). Apparently though there was throttle lag, from when you hit the gas and the car accelerating up to speed.

The car saw only two races, at the 1967 and 68 Indy 500, but sadly both were unable to finish due to mechanical issues. The former was due to tranny failure (where the driver, Parnelli Jones lead the entire race, but led into failure just eight miles to go), the latter a crash during qualifying. The car never raced again after that.
I want that thing in Forza lol.

It's sucks that there is only nine (?) turbine cars left in existence and that only 3 are capable of running.

1920px-Chrysler_027.jpg

Learned something about the Prodrive P2; that really promising prototype that sadly never made it to full scale production.

Subaru P2.jpg

Turns out that it was based on the same platform as the dinky little Subaru R1 Kei car:

Subaru R1.jpg

Just thought it was a rather neat and unusual car for the P2 to be based on, considering what it was capable of. And in the same way that the R1 was capable of as a Kei car.

Also quite cool that the R1 had an STI model; though sadly it was more STI in trim form it seems, as opposed to being a full blown STI sports model like an Impreza, which would've been pretty cool, especially if it had little gold wheels and was in WR blue to match :lol:.

Last edited:
So that's basically the "homologation" version of the JGTC Lambo that was hidden in GT3?

-> Just made a GT Suggestion thread about this street legal monster:

ARTICLE

Yup, like the planned Audi GT1 project I posted above, this was another planned GT1 project, only this got as far as homologation and being built. T'was a shame really, as the big bosses at Lambo decided it wasn't worth pursuing after quite an extensive start to the program, and didn't want to pour in anymore cash, so pulled the plug.

Looked like it might have been very promising spec wise, as the specs on your suggestion shows, it weighed a smudge over a tonne, and had over 600bhp. Just think how much more awesome GT1 could've been :eek:.

So that's basically the "homologation" version of the JGTC Lambo that was hidden in GT3?

Well, not quite. There were 2 Diablo Stradale GT1's made, that yellow one above was kept by SAT; the French company commissioned by Lambo to build the car, and a second Stradale, which was sold off to Japan, where it became the JGTC beast we know today.

Back