You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Another concept car I didn't know about, the Ford Excursion Desert. It gives me a F150 Raptor kind of vibe. The link I listed brings up a bunch of other random concepts.

http://www.trucktrend.com/future-trucks/163-1208-a-look-back-at-past-ford-concepts/
ford-desert-excursion-01.jpg

Also, the Lincoln LS SVC.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/mclaren-performance-lincoln-ls-auto-shows
http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/se...-showcars/concepts_LINCOLN/svc-ls/default.htm
mclaren-performance-lincoln-ls-photo-200376-s-original.jpg

Last edited:
VXR
That Excursion looks purposeful and yet manages to remain tasteful with it.

I guess the era (and idea) of brotruckin' was not yet being considered by Ford's upper brass. It doesn't need about a million inches of ground clearance, just enough to bypass the Rockies. And the Excursion would excel at that, no doubt...

The Lincoln, though...? Not quite feeling it. It took a bit too much JDM before going to the car show... My five cents, that's all.

In that same motortrend link I posted, I spotted this. A Expedition Himalaya concept, which also is giving me that Ford F150 raptor vibe.
ford-expedition-himalaya-side-view.jpg

The Himalaya is one model we're somewhat sad never went into production. Following the discontinuation of the Bronco in 1996, the conventional four-door Expedition replaced Ford's legendary two-door back-trail machine. The Himalaya Expedition bridged the gap between the departed Bronco and mommy-mobile Expedition by removing the roof and rear window section aft of the C-pillar, giving it a semi-open driving experience.
The interior featured Recaro sport seats and five-point harnesses. Further reinforcing its adventurous intentions, the Himalaya featured a Rancho suspension with adjustable shocks, BFGoodrich Baja TA tires, front and rear Warn winches, grille and taillight guards, a full-size spare tire, gas can, and side-hinged tailgate.

The Keating TKR and "The Bolt"

Keating TKR.jpg

The Keating/Barabus TKR

This one caught my when I saw it, as initially when I looked at the front I thought it was a derivation of a Saleen S7, and then when I saw the rear, it looked like a Pagani Zonda. And that's because, technically it's both; to a certain degree.

Basically, Keating; a Bolton, UK based sports car company, is the company responsible for creating the TKR (although it was originally called the Barabus TKR, before the company changed trading names to Keating). As mentioned, it shares many visual cues with the Saleen S7 and Pagani Zonda, and that's because it's designer; Adonis Alanagan took inspiration (borderline copying perhaps :lol:) from the S7 for the front, and the Zonda for rear; hence the strong resemblance to the two.

Spec wise, things are very promising, since it was powered by a 7.0 Twin Turbo'ed version of the LS7 V8, and was claimed to make 1005hp (though weirdly it has also been suggested it made 2,002hp...). Also weight was quoted to be 1,190kg, so it's not heavy. Otherwise I think it looks pretty good, and interests me as I like the obscure over the mainstream when it comes to super-cars

Furthermore, Keating claimed it could do 0-60 is 2 seconds and go on to do 270mph, which are bold numbers now, let alone 8 years ago. However, it had been recorded to do 260mph at El Mirage Lake in California, as part of a speed test, and was set to take an official record, but it crashed.

Also, Tony Keating and his company are no strangers to bold claims, as their more recent creation; "The Bolt" was quite comical in it's claims.

Keating The Bolt.jpg

Keating "The Bolt"

Like the TKR, it was powered by an LS7 V8, but there have been a myriad of HP figures suggested. Initially suggested to be 640hp, but Keating engineers stated 1200bhp was more realistic, but also an 800bhp version was apparently able to 0-60mph in 2.0sec.

The lack of certainty continues with the weight figures. Quoted to be at 990kg, thanks to the use of "space-age materials", though it apparently used Kevlar/Carbon-Fibre, however Keating engineers then said that figure was more like 1100-1200kg.

And to top it off, the centre point of "The Bolt" was that it could do 340mph, or "Mach 0.5" as they said; even though Mach 0.5 is more like 385mph. Got to love their optimism :lol:. Oh and it was supposed to cost £750,000 for a 800bhp model, but Keating said that could've come down to £150,000, for lesser and "more refined versions". However this was 4 years ago, so I'm not sure how many were made besides the prototype above, if any.

Otherwise I like the TKR, looks really quite nice, if a little copy-cat-esque of other designs. "The Bolt" less so, but I admired the ambition, as much as it is laughable.

Also, bonus fact, despite making the TKR and Bolt; Keating has only made two other models, the SKR and ZKR so far, with only 15 cars built in total.

Last edited:
Pontiac Trans Am Notchback
hector.jpg

A curious option for the Trans Am, the large piece of glass was replaced with a custom fiberglass lid produced by Auto-Fab in Michigan. This unique option was only available for 1988 (and a small bit of 1989), and only came on GTA trimmed Trans Ams. A total of 718 were made, though one of the main factors of its short life was quality and fitment issues with the lid that Auto-Fab never resolved.

images

Never heard of it. Supposedly, it's based on the Corolla of the time(and they were sold in the UK). I'd have one, if they're not all in the scrap or drifterised.
images

Toyota Celica XX
Toyota-Celica-XX-_Japan_1982.jpg

While searching through the Toyota dealership in Gran Turismo and wondering why the Celica Supra MK2 was never included, I suddenly stumbled on this:
latest

Turns out, the Toyota Celica Supra was called the Toyota Celica XX in Japan so yeah, it's the JDM version of the Celica Supra we all know.

BTCxhJ8BmWH.jpg

;)
see what I did there?

1966-1975 IKA Torino

This rear-wheel drive Argentinian sports coupe/fastback, developed by IKA (Industries Kaiser Argentina), and American Motors, was based off the Rambler American. This car was known to "combine European style with American ruggedness" and was exclusively sold in Argentina. However, the car had a heavy price tag, but it made 248 horsepower in it's highest trim. It even held the position of being "Argentina's National Vehicle" for almost a decade. After 1975, the car received a facelift and became known as the Renault Torino.

IKA Torino had a racing history as well. It received fourth place in the 84-hour long Nurburgring Race of 1969.

If you didn't know about the McLaren, you might not have known about the Coyote X. Based on a kit car, but styled after the McLaren.
*cough* *cough* Manta Montage *cough* *cough*

Hardly ever post in here, but:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/unspecified/1918088.html#&gid=1&pid=11

58149453-770-0@2X.jpg

1982 Ford Ghia Shuttler Concept

1.3 liter engine, a Mazda GL, going by the markings, so it's likely built on a Mazda Familia floorpan. The year is right.

One-of-a-kind personal luxury concept car from Ford. Given that it has 1.4k miles on the odometer, it seems likely you can drive it on the street.

I want one. Way, way ahead of its time.

"Honey I shrunk the (American market) Capri" :lol:

All joking aside, it's certainly an ahead-of-its-time thinker. Even if it's driveable, I doubt the future owner will want to put too many miles on it. I just hope it gets preserved by someone aware of Ghia's role in Italian design and Ford's history...

Hardly ever post in here, but:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/unspecified/1918088.html#&gid=1&pid=11

58149453-770-0@2X.jpg

1982 Ford Ghia Shuttler Concept

1.3 liter engine, a Mazda GL, going by the markings, so it's likely built on a Mazda Familia floorpan. The year is right.

One-of-a-kind personal luxury concept car from Ford. Given that it has 1.4k miles on the odometer, it seems likely you can drive it on the street.

I want one. Way, way ahead of its time.
I can't believe Ford had such a nice little car ready to go and they ended up giving us this ugly thing instead.

mercury-ln7-1983-8.jpg

Back