You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Volkswagen Jetta Coupe Prototype- it was a one-off, unfortunately.

cj1.jpg

Here's a new one for me - the Okamura Mikasa.

okamura_mikasa_touring_7.jpeg

Okamura is a Japanese industrial company and started making torque converters back in the 1950s. The Mikasa came out in 1957, and it's heavily Citroen-inspired - air-cooled flat twin, three-lug wheels very similar to 2CV ones, front wheel drive (apparently, the first Japanese front-driver, though I can't confirm). Though weirdly, the styling wasn't Citroen inspired - while it looks very similar indeed to the UK-market Bijou, the Mikasa actually appeared two years before the Bijou. The other difference was that it used a (surprise surprise) torque converter automatic transmission.

Only around 500 were built.

Anybody know what this is? Me and my dad have no idea what it is and i couldn't find anything on it.
Not sure if this is the best place to post it but it's a car i never knew existed. :confused:
28176612666_2b28578d3d_b.jpg
Isn't that a 1950s El Camino?

About this:

28176612666_2b28578d3d_b.jpg

It was originally posted at 9:52 US Central time.

About an hour later @RocZX posted something. But I do not know what.

He edited his post the next morning.

gtplanet%20edit._zpsnjjocifm.jpg

That's not an El Camino. It's been already that said it's an early sixties Chrysler New Yorker that's been converted to a Ute.

I didn't notice that post. Oops.

I didn't see the edit either and spent about an hour last night trying to find out what it was. :lol: I was looking at old Australian utes, and I was kind of thinking it looked like a Studebaker before I gave up.

Thanks to @RocZX for figuring it out.

1960 Chrysler New Yorker station wagon
maxresdefault.jpg

View attachment 641901

I've never seen a Skyline 5-door hatchback. Skyline/Pintara wagon. Yes. This thing? No. And there are old Skylines and Pintaras all over Australia.
R30 and R31 being the most popular skylines you could spot here (it's still quite rare), i never saw one in Wagon or Hatchback form before. It's always ether as a sedan or coupe.
-----------------------------

Blue corvette with the protrusion behind the driver's head was a racing prototype. I can't remember the year, but it was C1.

Edit: It's the 1957 Corvette SS, if my memory serves me right.

Back