You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
DAF Siluro (concept car)

daf_55_siluro_1.jpg

1968_Michelotti-_Daf-55_Siluro_02.jpg

Lancia Thema 8.32

seite_vorne_von_unten_0.jpg

What happens if you put a Ferrari V8 from the 308 in a four door Lancia sedan. A bit of a sleeper too, with stock rims anyway.

It was a bit of a damp squib really. The engine wasn't quite what it was advertised as and it was no more powerful or quicker than the 2L turbo four.

One of the few cars to feature a V4!

The V4 was widely used by Lancia between the 20's and 60's and was a staple in European Fords in the 60's. The Ford version spawned the Cologne V6 which was used in, well, everything.

Last edited:
Lancia Thema 8.32

What happens if you put a Ferrari V8 from the 308 in a four door Lancia sedan. A bit of a sleeper too, with stock rims anyway.

It get´s even more obscure! Gianni Agnielli, Boss of FIAT in those days, has been given a one-off esate (wagon) Version of the 8.32. It was sold at Bonhams a couple of years ago for around 20k Pounds....bargain concerning the uniqueness and drivetrain/bodystyle combination.
ab5w1l.jpg

I didn´t read all of the 150 odd pages but if it was not mentioned earlier, i raise you the Mclaren F1 "high downforce". One of 2 made ever, specially requested by customers (the Grey one is in New Zealand I think and there is a Kind of "volcano orange" one which i think resides in the US).
What I think is fantastic is, that McLaren did even bother to make Special Versions of an already seriously limited production car that was also the most expensive.

It has the LM-Spec engine, so 680HP and 1000RPM higher rev limiter as well as different Suspension, bigger wheels and this bodykit for the mentioned downforce. Whats peculiar is , that the other One has different original wheels and the front wing is color-matched to the rest of the car. So even those two were unique.
33a7w3c.jpg

Last edited:
It was a bit of a damp squib really. The engine wasn't quite what it was advertised as and it was no more powerful or quicker than the 2L turbo four.

Fair point, hadn't realised the turbo was that quick, but that's just testament to that model also really, and that V8 does sound good. Also the performance figures pretty much match the 308 and Mondial that used a similar engine, which is kinda funny, though I guess it got worked on a little for the Thema.

Fair point, hadn't realised the turbo was that quick, but that's just testament to that model also really, and that V8 does sound good. Also the performance figures pretty much match the 308 and Mondial that used a similar engine, which is kinda funny, though I guess it got worked on a little for the Thema.

Well, the turbo was, i think, powered by the same engine as found in the Delta Integrale. So it also had some pedigree.

-> I am not aware that Toyota Thailand built its own SUV before the advent of the super-popular (in Asia-Aussieland) Fortuner:

Toyota Hilux Sport Rider
Hiluxsportrider1.gif

(Final model shown, it had the recently debuted 1st wave of the D-4D Diesel engine)

-> At first, it seems like a 4Runner/Hilux Surf rip-off. But as long as I saw the overall side profile & rear 3/4 view this is a different beast.

Wikipedia
Toyota introduced a mid-size SUV variant of the Hilux in 1998 for a select few markets, known as the Hilux Sport Rider. The Sport Rider is a rare model, sold in a select few Asian markets, including Thailand and Nepal. Based on the Hilux, both in style and underpinnings, it is similar in concept to the Toyota 4Runner—however, the Sport Rider is not a rebadged 4Runner. The Sport Rider frame and suspensions are derived from the Hilux, including the Hilux's independent front suspension and leaf-sprung rear. The model started out as the four-door pickup truck, but were modified into wagons on arrival in Thailand by Thai Auto Works Co, a majority Thai-owned company in which Toyota has a 20 percent stake. The vehicles were distributed by Toyota Tsusho Thailand, the importer of Toyota forklifts.

The Sport Rider arrived in 1998 with the 5L engine for Prerunner (2WD) and 5L-E for 4WD, later 1KZ-TE for 4WD only arrived in 2001 and foglamp built in front bumper, and 2002 new engines arrived—the 1KD-FTV and 2KD-FTV with a new front bumper, new projector-style headlights, and new rear lamps. Toyota discontinued the Sport Rider in 2004, and replaced it in 2005 with the Toyota Fortuner.

Brian894x4
In 2003, Toyota introduced the all new Toyota 4Runner
and Surf. The styling of the new 4Runner is based
heavily on the Sport Rider and in fact, other than the
front end, the two appear almost identical. It's not quite
clear what other relations the two models have. The Surf
and 4Runner (which are the same vehicle, but with
different names) appear to only be offered in North
America and Japan at the present date. The Sport
Runner appears to be exclusively a Southeast Asian
market vehicle, with most sales going to Thailand and
Nepal. The vehicles appear to start out originally as 4
door Hiluxes, which are then converted into the sport
utility vehicles, but details on this are unclear. Niether
the 4Runner/Surf or the Sport Runner appear to be
current available in Toyota's other major markets, such
as Australia, South Africa or Europe.

Sportriderdraw.gif

sportrider_0111.jpg

Pre-facelift Model
gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-s-suv-thailand_6913693_iqNVx5cifP1YkRFJNNlVMj.jpg

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-s-suv-thailand_6913693_nYtbQplbZi2UfBDjZ5o12e.jpg

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-s-suv-thailand_6913693_m4vcFShK4Gzf1Jx30tSXdN.jpg

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-s-suv-thailand_6913693_HcetMH6EI6TbEuCHxSeGVI.jpg

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-s-suv-thailand_6913693_AeqwvmB8Pgo5rB3lP2bHyB.jpg

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-s-suv-thailand_6913693_aye8rOr1x4Fj1BYeq3LwFP.jpg

img3.php

Post-facelift Model
gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-g-suv-thailand_3904914_oMtuTc2UCtjMH1UM4CmS1I.jpg

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-g-suv-thailand_3904914_jVEo13yYwjH3tLASXH0e6F.jpg

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-g-suv-thailand_3904914_7Y9nhJPz8glqBKSkG8pQ9Y.jpg

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-g-suv-thailand_c9dc99ab16206b49114e2c03349abbce_LIwxUH5cc5dys4xUa2dFA7_5174124_Btevu1PWGfID0NkEoEcpud.JPG

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-g-suv-thailand_c9dc99ab16206b49114e2c03349abbce_LIwxUH5cc5dys4xUa2dFA7_5174124_Fcyfa5fobRk7x0arwf9x8r.JPG

gallery_used-car-one2car-toyota-sport-rider-g-suv-thailand_3904914_H6aBJIGAUPAoBv0jw1io8v.jpg

-> It can be had with many options like various engine/drivetrain/transmission options. But a couple stands out:

3rd-Row Seat
6fceece08ebd0cd89f136b19d16dc671.jpg

9810223_cd5396014962714052499_v1sm.jpg

'Shaved-Back' or 'Clean Back' (aka. no rear spare-tire carrier)
0928853001406973821.jpg

img3.php

^ I think this SUV pioneered the minivan-look rear ends of current SUVs.

-> Too bad, it didn't have the recognition it deserves. It could've given a head-start rivalry between Isuzu's MU-7/Aterra/MU-X & Rodeo, Mazda's Proceed Marvie/Ford Everest/Raider, Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero Sport, & Toyota's own Prado & 4Runner! :(

Just got back from Japan. Saw many automotive wonders there, but on a walk through Ginza my eye was caught by a car like this:

186745-4.jpg

Saw it from a similar angle. Looked quite sharp, I thought - seemed Corolla-sized, but a bit more adventurous. Thought it might be quite a funky thing to import. But didn't see the name of it, so started hunting the auction sites and scrolling down the list of names until I saw something that looked like it.

Turns out it's called the Toyota Opa. And the front looks like this:

186745-1.jpg

Now I'm not so interested any more. Significantly less modern-looking and adventurous up front. Bit too mumsy, bit too kid-hauler, not enough Blade Runner-style futurism.

Still, genuinely didn't know it existed until the other day, so there's that.

Hmm, an Oldsmobile Corvette.
Yeah, Corvette bones (both visual and structural) figured prominently in GM's Motorama cars in the mid-50s. Of course there's the F-88, but Pontiac had its Bonneville show car and Buick chimed in with the Wildcat-II. Pontiac also saw the first time a V8 met with Corvette underpinnings, in the form of the Club de Mer show car's 'Strato Streak' 287. The Club de Mer is probably my second favorite Pontiac (concept or production)--my favorite being the 1953 Parisienne show car:

53pontiac_parisienne_04_large.jpg

No Corvette there, though.

There's a new Toyota Century are currently in the making:

1toyota-century-02.jpg

2018-Toyota-Century-rear-three-quarters-right-side-at-2017-Tokyo-Motor-Show.jpg

I wonder why no one outside of Japan could own this car apart from some few Dealership owners (The local Toyota Distributor over here owns the previous gen in LHD).

I didn´t read all of the 150 odd pages but if it was not mentioned earlier, i raise you the Mclaren F1 "high downforce". One of 2 made ever, specially requested by customers (the Grey one is in New Zealand I think and there is a Kind of "volcano orange" one which i think resides in the US).
What I think is fantastic is, that McLaren did even bother to make Special Versions of an already seriously limited production car that was also the most expensive.

It has the LM-Spec engine, so 680HP and 1000RPM higher rev limiter as well as different Suspension, bigger wheels and this bodykit for the mentioned downforce. Whats peculiar is , that the other One has different original wheels and the front wing is color-matched to the rest of the car. So even those two were unique.
There's more than 2. It was an optional package that has seen its way on (& off) of a few cars.
Chassis' #011, #014, #018, #020, #023, #059, #069, #072, & #073 have all had the kit tmk.

I believe the one in your pic is #018, and the one you're referencing in orange is #073.

There's more than 2. It was an optional package that has seen its way on (& off) of a few cars.
Chassis' #011, #014, #018, #020, #023, #059, #069, #072, & #073 have all had the kit tmk.

I believe the one in your pic is #018, and the one you're referencing in orange is #073.
After a bit of research, I also noticed that a couple of cars had this „kit“ put on them.

Thanks for the heads up, I want to know as mich as I can about the F1.

Just got back from Japan. Saw many automotive wonders there, but on a walk through Ginza my eye was caught by a car like this:

Saw it from a similar angle. Looked quite sharp, I thought - seemed Corolla-sized, but a bit more adventurous. Thought it might be quite a funky thing to import. But didn't see the name of it, so started hunting the auction sites and scrolling down the list of names until I saw something that looked like it.

Turns out it's called the Toyota Opa. And the front looks like this:

Now I'm not so interested any more. Significantly less modern-looking and adventurous up front. Bit too mumsy, bit too kid-hauler, not enough Blade Runner-style futurism.

Still, genuinely didn't know it existed until the other day, so there's that.
The back makes me think of a tiny Escalade.

After a bit of research, I also noticed that a couple of cars had this „kit“ put on them.

Thanks for the heads up, I want to know as mich as I can about the F1.
The only Mclaren I am familiar with (being one of only 2 I've ever seen in real life): Chassis #014 was originally a yellow car and was painted white and had the HDF kit put on afterwards:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/chassis/298/McLaren-F1-014.html

It's one of my favorite ones, too.
McLaren-F1-113313.jpg

The only Mclaren I am familiar with (being one of only 2 I've ever seen in real life): Chassis #014 was originally a yellow car and was painted white and had the HDF kit put on afterwards:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/chassis/298/McLaren-F1-014.html

It's one of my favorite ones, too.

That´s the one i read about....originally the same yellow tone as the Zero customer miles car that was Features here a couple of weeks ago. Despite the number of exotics I´ve seen so far, the F1 is the Olymp I still have to climb.

Can I ask what chassis the other one was?

That´s the one i read about....originally the same yellow tone as the Zero customer miles car that was Features here a couple of weeks ago. Despite the number of exotics I´ve seen so far, the F1 is the Olymp I still have to climb.

Can I ask what chassis the other one was?
The recent low mileage yellow one? That was chassis #060. Before that one came around, I always thought that #014 was the only original yellow car. I don't blame the current owner of 014 for painting it, the yellow isn't all that good looking on the F1 if you ask me.

Back