You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Beutler Porsche 1600 Spezial
923411.jpg
I'd highly recommend you look into Karosserie Friedrich Rometsch as well, then. Heck, dig deeper into Beutler, too--there are some gems.

Last edited:
Well, I'm reading that off of wikipedia; so it could be wrong.

After a quick check, its a 13G 3 rotor race engine. Your original post just confused me, since the 13B is a 1.3, the 2.0 rotary is a 20B, and neither of those are 4 rotors. The 13G is a 2.0 though, but a 3 rotor. The closest 4 rotor (text wise, at least) is the 13J. All 1 letter off an easy to confuse. I had actually forgotten about the 13G and 13J.

Well, I'm reading that off of wikipedia; so it could be wrong.
Well...the majority of Mazda rotaries with the two-digit-number-followed-by-a-single-letter use the combined chamber volume (displacement) in a 2-rotor configuration to designate overall displacement. 10x, 12x and 13x are characterized by [respectively] 491cc per rotor (982cc total, rounded up to 1.0 liters), 573cc per rotor (1146cc total, rounded up to 1.2 liters) and 655cc per chamber (1310cc total, rounded down to 1.3 liters). If we extrapolate that naming convention to suit a 4-rotor configuration, the proposed "13B" would more likely be represented by the "R26B" utilized in Mazda's 4-rotor endurance racers and displaces 2620cc, rounded down to 2.6 liters, as indicated by the "26." The R designates a racing engine.

Much of the above--specifically the individual chamber volumes--was also gleaned from Wikipedia.

Edit: The 13G mentioned above was (which I now know to be the case) used in Mazda's first 3-rotor racer, and likely is named as such to indicate that its individual chamber volume is similar to that of the other 13x engines, which extrapolates out to 1965cc rounded up to 2.0 liters. I'm sure the 13J has a similar story.

Last edited:
saab-9-7x-suv-2005.jpg

I never knew Saab built an SUV. Or a jeep, truck, whatever it is supposed to be. I had never seen one until last week. Although seeing the platform it is based upon, I guess it kind of explains why you don't see these around...

I see them every now and then in southeastern Michigan. I hardly ever see other Saabs like the 9-3 wagon, my favorite of them all.

After a quick check, its a 13G 3 rotor race engine. Your original post just confused me, since the 13B is a 1.3, the 2.0 rotary is a 20B, and neither of those are 4 rotors. The 13G is a 2.0 though, but a 3 rotor. The closest 4 rotor (text wise, at least) is the 13J. All 1 letter off an easy to confuse. I had actually forgotten about the 13G and 13J.
Oh, that's why you're confused. I honestly didn't know that the 13 was referring to liters, now I know that for now on. Thanks.

saab-9-7x-suv-2005.jpg

I never knew Saab built an SUV. Or a jeep, truck, whatever it is supposed to be. I had never seen one until last week. Although seeing the platform it is based upon, I guess it kind of explains why you don't see these around...

There's nothing wrong with the platform, in fact it's probably one of the only things GM did right in the early 00's.

I've owned one of those way back in the day. It's basically an egg shaped B13 Sentra SE-R, available either with a crap 1.6 or a less crap SR20DE. Not a lot of room inside, but a very competent chassis and very fun to drive.

Discovered this one today:

Toyota Carina ED. Toyota made three generations of it, and it's effectively a four-door Celica. Googling them seems to suggest a huge number have ended up in Russia for some reason.
Yes, there are awfully lot of them over here, especially in the eastern parts of the country.
Not as many as Mark II's, though...

A few countries in Europe have laws that allow younger people to get driving licences for cars under a certain weight and power limit. Cars like this are made with these people in mind.

TBH, if I was still living in Vancouver, I'd probably consider something like that. Something small and good for city driving.

TBH, if I was still living in Vancouver, I'd probably consider something like that. Something small and good for city driving.

You wouldn't. They are legally not cars, so they don't have to adhere to car safety regulations and they're terribly underpowered and uncomfortable. Also ridiculously expensive.

JAC Projen, a Chinese knockoff of the Ford F150 SVT Raptor.

I'm left wondering if the designers of these Chinese cars know or care how proportion works. Cause this is far from the only case of badly proportioned design, even forgetting the whole knockoff aspect.

SSZ Stradale
upload_2017-11-24_14-24-1.png

Limited production restoration of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale produced in the 1990's which had both street and racing versions.

Initially only 2 cars were built, one being a one-off for personal use and a second for Joe Benson, author of "Alfa Romeo Buyers Guide".

Interest was gathered for the car when it was well received at several Alfa Club events which lead to SSZ building 28 examples, 4 of which were prototypes that were never sold (two of which were destroyed during testing or dismantled to use for parts for production versions.

Production Numbers:
Prototype (Alfa 1.6 Inline 4) - 4
Mark I (Alfa 3.0 V6) - 6
Mark II (Nissan 3.0 Inline 6 Turbo) - 5
Mark III (Chevrolet 5.7 LS V8) (early Mark III's had 1000HP Electromotive TT engines) - 11
Mark IV (Chevrolet 5.7 LS V8) - 2

upload_2017-11-24_14-25-30.png

upload_2017-11-24_14-25-35.png
upload_2017-11-24_14-25-47.png
upload_2017-11-24_14-25-51.png
upload_2017-11-24_14-25-55.png

Back