You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
The recent low mileage yellow one? That was chassis #060. Before that one came around, I always thought that #014 was the only original yellow car. I don't blame the current owner of 014 for painting it, the yellow isn't all that good looking on the F1 if you ask me.

It´s definitely a thousand miles better looking in White than in yellow.

Discovered this one today:

Toyota_Carinaed_1995.jpg

Toyota Carina ED. Toyota made three generations of it, and it's effectively a four-door Celica. Googling them seems to suggest a huge number have ended up in Russia for some reason.

Toyota Carina ED. Toyota made three generations of it, and it's effectively a four-door Celica. Googling them seems to suggest a huge number have ended up in Russia for some reason.

There's 1 in GT. 2nd gen if not mistaken.

there's one here and there around my town. its not bad. I like this kind of obscure family cars.

Didn't actually know that. Not a car that's come up on my radar before so probably glossed over it whenever I saw it in the used car lists!
since GT4 -and upwards there's the 2nd gen one, FF layout. Toyota Carina ED EX, if not mistaken.

on gt2 there was also a carina, but my memory of that is muddy

while browsing the local used cars site, I stumbled upon the 2nd gen of the Daihatsu Charade GTti, in a good stock condition, with everything original in it, including paint. It was a car I never saw until now
daihatsu-charade-rear.jpg

It looks pretty cool. Would love to try it out.

also to add , I discovered de Innocenti MInitre 990 SE, which seems like a small box from the 70's/80's on sale here.
860736465_2_644x461_innocenti-990-se-imagens.jpg

860736465_3_644x461_innocenti-990-se-outra-no-listada.jpg

Pictures of the actual car I was seeing. not to shabby IMO.

Last edited:
rear mounted transmission (sort of like the Corvette)
jcgfoto4.jpg

It appears (low resolution image), based on the transmission and the tire's relation to the chassis trestle, to be more like that of a 944, with the gear stack aft of the ring and pinion; Corvettes (C5+) have theirs ahead. But good grief is that thing ugly!

since GT4 -and upwards there's the 2nd gen one, FF layout. Toyota Carina ED EX, if not mistaken.

on gt2 there was also a carina, but my memory of that is muddy

That'll be the 1989 Toyota Carina ED 2.0 X 4WS you're thinking of since GT4:

839237ad34e6c0d7dada243d2390bcb2.png

As for the Corona, that was featured in GT1 and 2 as the 1996 Exiv 200GT:

3b5bb2a4e8b2c3607350bccff11d0d79.png

The Corona was designed as a sort of twin to the Carina, later were based on the same chassis. My grandfather actually owned the Corona variant of the Carina in GT4, complete with 4WS. It looked like this, except was in a sandy champagne:

Toyota_Corona_Exiv_1991.jpg

The T200 shown in @homeforsummer's post looked like this in Corona guise:

Toyota_Corona_Exiv_1993.jpg

Funnily enough, EXiV seems to stand for EXtra impressiVe according to Toyota.

The Corona had some spotlight within the JTCC as well:

Toyota_ADVAN_Corona_EXIV_JTCC_%28Group.A%29_%28ST200%29_in_Honda_Collection_Hall_Front.jpg
238219-13799-81-pristine.jpg

Back to the road cars, there were a number of interesting models for the T200 twins with their facelift in 1995. There was a JTCC commemorative edition. Information is scarce to what exactly sets it apart from the others, bar a JTCC decal on the rear door and a slightly tweaked 3S-GE to 180ps. However I did find a build thread, unsurprisingly from Russia again:

https://www.drive2.ru/b/1314160/

1412552200691275180.jpg

The range topper for the Corona was known as the ST205, with the EXiV GT-4WD, and EXiV GT-4WD Touring Version.

10101016_199606.jpg

They came as a non four-wheel-drive variant known as the ST202 200GT and 200GT Touring Versions, with power being slightly reduced to 170ps. From there, they came down to the 200G and 200E with the 3S-FE (140ps), and the 180 G, 180 E Limited and 180 E with the 4S-FE (125ps), with the 180 E being the cheapest available.

The Carina ED had this as the GT Exciting Version and GT for the four-wheel-drive versions, with the same names used for the non-four-wheel drives, but with power being upped from 175ps to 180ps. Other models included the X Exciting Version, X (3S-GE), V Exciting Version, 1.8 V Limited , and V (4S-FE).

L1050560.jpg

1932 Ford B Cabriolet by Drauz.

I'm familiar of some other coachbuilt 1932 Fords (not including Edsel's aluminum roadster), particularly a couple different examples from Willy van den PLAS and the Batten Special V-8, but this one is new to me. I suppose it's attractive enough, certainly from the cowl back (I'm not a fan of "deuces" because they've become so cliché; give me a Chevy Confederate, Buick or, better yet, a Franklin), but those wipers and the Landau irons steal the show for me.

SVX
As for the Corona, that was featured in GT1 and 2 as the 1996 Exiv 200GT:

3b5bb2a4e8b2c3607350bccff11d0d79.png

The Corona was designed as a sort of twin to the Carina, later were based on the same chassis. My grandfather actually owned the Corona variant of the Carina in GT4, complete with 4WS. It looked like this, except was in a sandy champagne:

Toyota_Corona_Exiv_1991.jpg

The T200 shown in @homeforsummer's post looked like this in Corona guise:

Toyota_Corona_Exiv_1993.jpg

Funnily enough, EXiV seems to stand for EXtra impressiVe according to Toyota.

The Corona had some spotlight within the JTCC as well:

Toyota_ADVAN_Corona_EXIV_JTCC_%28Group.A%29_%28ST200%29_in_Honda_Collection_Hall_Front.jpg
238219-13799-81-pristine.jpg

Back to the road cars, there were a number of interesting models for the T200 twins with their facelift in 1995. There was a JTCC commemorative edition. Information is scarce to what exactly sets it apart from the others, bar a JTCC decal on the rear door and a slightly tweaked 3S-GE to 180ps. However I did find a build thread, unsurprisingly from Russia again:

https://www.drive2.ru/b/1314160/

1412552200691275180.jpg

The range topper for the Corona was known as the ST205, with the EXiV GT-4WD, and EXiV GT-4WD Touring Version.

10101016_199606.jpg

They came as a non four-wheel-drive variant known as the ST202 200GT and 200GT Touring Versions, with power being slightly reduced to 170ps. From there, they came down to the 200G and 200E with the 3S-FE (140ps), and the 180 G, 180 E Limited and 180 E with the 4S-FE (125ps), with the 180 E being the cheapest available.

The Carina ED had this as the GT Exciting Version and GT for the four-wheel-drive versions, with the same names used for the non-four-wheel drives, but with power being upped from 175ps to 180ps. Other models included the X Exciting Version, X (3S-GE), V Exciting Version, 1.8 V Limited , and V (4S-FE).

Always had a bit of a soft spot for the Corona. Almost like a Celica in sheep's clothing.

And I still maintain than the Super-Tourer it spawned is still the best/favourite Touring car from that generation.

Toyota Corona JTCC Kristensen.jpg
Toyota Corona Exiv JTCC Krumm.jpg

Just love the low-wide stance it had compared to the rest.

> for some reason
Used Japanese cars are popular in Vodkaland because they are ridiculously cheap there, even considering import fees. At least they were pretty cheap imports in the 90's.

Always had a bit of a soft spot for the Corona. Almost like a Celica in sheep's clothing.

And I still maintain than the Super-Tourer it spawned is still the best/favourite Touring car from that generation.

View attachment 687797 View attachment 687798

Just love the low-wide stance it had compared to the rest.

I'm not sure I follow. They all had an extreme stance back then.

tumblr_o5lt6qPFcR1uz8j8qo1_1280.jpg
1be10e7a89d2b64eb68a4b6f8c3fc0c7

65e670f1-1.jpg

Just the body shape gave it that appearance of it being wider than it is. Generally, though like all super tourers from that era, it looked immense, just I've always held as being one of my favourite.

What exactly does it want to be? A Mini or a Smart car?

A few countries in Europe have laws that allow younger people to get driving licences for cars under a certain weight and power limit. Cars like this are made with these people in mind.

Nissan Prairie Attesa Super

Never knew about this JDM oddity until now. It is basically a Bluebird Attesa (has the same specs) that seats seven.​

Oh wow. That could have gone into the forgotten car thread for me. Those used to be everywhere here.

Oh wow. That could have gone into the forgotten car thread for me. Those used to be everywhere here.
I knew that the Prairie existed long before today. I just never knew they made a sports package almost identical for it, almost identical to the one for the Bluebird of this time period.

Skoda R200 based on the Audi R8.

Meet the R200 Non-Fiction, a modern interpretation of the Skoda 130 RS rally car based on the first generation Audi R8 V8.
Meet the R200 Non-Fiction, a modern interpretation of the Skoda 130 RS rally car based on the first generation Audi R8 V8.

This is a fully functional concept currently on display at the DOX Center for Contemporary Art in Prague, Czech Republic. It has been styled by Czech designer Petr Novák who wanted to bring back to life the Skoda 130 RS rally car which in 2015 is celebrating its 40th anniversary.

A first generation Audi R8 4.2 FSI V8 was used as foundation and development took around 18 months, with the end result being a 4400mm long, 2000mm wide and 1300mm tall retro-styled supercar with Bentley-like headlights and an interesting design, albeit controversial.

Power comes from the same V8 4.2-liter naturally aspirated engine delivering output to an all-wheel drive system through a six-speed manual gearbox. The power figures have not been disclosed but these are likely close to the R8’s 420 PS (309 kW) and 430 Nm (317 lb-ft).

It's not just for show as the R200 Non-Fiction will actually go into production in January 2016 and the plan is to make around 24 cars, with each carrying a starting price of approximately €255,000 ($274,000).

skoda-r200-250415-22.jpg

Back