You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Pontiac t1000
D120EC8C-CD69-45DF-8E36-9CE54FF89731.jpeg
8AD5A13C-822E-427A-AA00-D1955F70EE8D.jpeg

And this Chrysler
2C010E74-6DEF-4EAF-81B8-976A4E691E76.jpeg
9E60D799-5D8A-4B1E-A3CC-46A0A970F543.jpeg

Thanks to a post by @Volksauto here is a car I didn't know existed. And it's an air-cooled VW! I cannot believe there are production air-cooled VWs I didn't already know about.

Volkswagen Type 147 Kleinlieferwagen aka Fridolin. Built for the German Post Office, also used by the Swiss Post Office and Lufthansa as a small cargo van at airports.

Thanks to a post by @Volksauto here is a car I didn't know existed. And it's an air-cooled VW! I cannot believe there are production air-cooled VWs I didn't already know about.

Volkswagen Type 147 Kleinlieferwagen aka Fridolin. Built for the German Post Office, also used by the Swiss Post Office and Lufthansa as a small cargo van at airports.
Someone put a W12 in one.

Just found out about this after searching my post count in Bing for the Google Your Post Count thread. I didn't post anything there because the first result was boring, but I scrolled down a few pages and saw this, the Chevrolet XP-898. I had never heard of it before, so here's a couple pictures:

chevrolet-xp-898-concept-photo-526070-s-1280x782.jpg

chevrolet-xp-898-concept-photo-526071-s-1280x782.jpg

There also seems to be a few variations called the same thing:

chevrolet_xp_898_concept_car_1.jpg

xp898-02.jpg

Last edited:
Just found out about this after searching my post count in Bing for the Google Your Post Count thread. I didn't post anything there because the first result was boring, but I scrolled down a few pages and saw this, the Chevrolet XP-898.
Did you happen to find Dean's Garage in your research? It's one of my favorite places on the whole of the interwebs.

Here's a piece on the XP-898 and what it influenced:

http://www.deansgarage.com/2011/chevrolet-xp-898-inspiration-for-two-unique-designs/

The first one looks someone took the best parts of a TR7 and a C3 Corvette and mixed them together.

Corvette prototypes are fascinating. There are, among a whole myriad of these, a couple of mid-engined Corvette prototypes, a rear-engined Corvette prototype and a rotary-powered Corvette prototype.

Not prototypes, but I've always loved these 1954 Motorama Corvette dream cars. Bottom is the production Corvette, a true roadster without roll-up side windows. Above it is a convertible coupe. Above that is the Corvair fastback. And on top is the Nomad. Sadly none of the three dream cars went into production, but the Corvette did switch to roll-up side windows in '56, the Nomad went into production based on the standard Chevy sedan, and the Corvair name was used on a much different car starting in the fall of '59.

Above it is a convertible coupe.
It was a bolt-on hard top. Which they made production version in '56.

Not sure if this is true cause I never read about it online but one time at car show I was talking to a guy he claimed he knew someone who worked at Chevy in '50's they told him at the time those concepts were made they wanted to make Corvette its own brand. He said that is why it didn't have Chevy bow tie emblem on it . It was going to be a performance brand for Chevy/GM. It's just a story I heard from a random guy.

Not prototypes, but I've always loved these 1954 Motorama Corvette dream cars. Bottom is the production Corvette, a true roadster without roll-up side windows. Above it is a convertible coupe. Above that is the Corvair fastback. And on top is the Nomad. Sadly none of the three dream cars went into production, but the Corvette did switch to roll-up side windows in '56, the Nomad went into production based on the standard Chevy sedan, and the Corvair name was used on a much different car starting in the fall of '59.
The C1 has always been my favorite and dream Corvette. They were never muscle machines or exotic supercars like the later generations but rather a sexy looking roadster that had decent gettup and go meant more for cruising with your girl.
As much as I love the '56 through '62 C1s, the '53 through '55s are the ones I've always dreampt of owning. The first two model years were only available with Chevrolet's ancient Blue Flame 6 but was finally available with a V8 in 1955. The early C1's have a very European look in terms of the front headlamp housing design. Combine that with tailfins and wide whitewalls make it a truly special looking car.

Here's one that blew my mind; the 1999 Roush Cobra Crown Victoria. You read that right.
4d179f7410_1024.jpg

Only 18 were built, featuring the mighty 4.6 Cobra V8 pushing 350HP to a 5-speed manual (yes, MANUAL!).
ca8f634d1f_1024.jpg

0b048351cd_1024.jpg

And I thought the Mercury Marauder was a mental Panther platform car. This just makes that thing look like Child's Play. Wow! :drool:

If anyone's interested in would like to read about it, here's the link to the site: http://www.carlylemotors.com/vehicl...-built-sedan-7d748bb16d0a4fa8b6e8a61fe784a905

The C1 has always been my favorite and dream Corvette. They were never muscle machines or exotic supercars like the later generations but rather a sexy looking roadster that had decent gettup and go meant more for cruising with your girl.
As much as I love the '56 through '62 C1s, the '53 through '55s are the ones I've always dreampt of owning. The first two model years were only available with Chevrolet's ancient Blue Flame 6 but was finally available with a V8 in 1955. The early C1's have a very European look in terms of the front headlamp housing design. Combine that with tailfins and wide whitewalls make it a truly special looking car.
Couldn't agree more. I like most generations of Corvette, but the earliest ones exude that optimism that defined the best American cars of the era.

1942 Bugatti Type 62
bugatti-type-68-microcoche-5_0.jpg
bugatti-type-68-microcoche-1_0.jpg
1945-bugatti-type-68-01.jpg

When you here the word Bugatti, do you think of hyper cars, luxurious classics, or a great racing heritage? How about a 318 cc micro car?
When I discovered this automobile, I immediately felt it was very interesting. It was a prototype built by Ettore Bugatti during WWII and it was supposed to be a micro car for the masses. It was meant to be a rival for cars in the future like the Isetta, Mini, 500, Beetle, etc.
The coolest thing about the car is it's power plant. It had a 318 cc 16-valve 4-cylinder engine that made 48 horsepower. Two cars were built between 1942 and 1945. If this went into production, this could've changed how we see Bugatti today all together.

1942 Bugatti Type 62
bugatti-type-68-microcoche-5_0.jpg
bugatti-type-68-microcoche-1_0.jpg
1945-bugatti-type-68-01.jpg

When you here the word Bugatti, do you think of hyper cars, luxurious classics, or a great racing heritage? How about a 318 cc micro car?
When I discovered this automobile, I immediately felt it was very interesting. It was a prototype built by Ettore Bugatti during WWII and it was supposed to be a micro car for the masses. It was meant to be a rival for cars in the future like the Isetta, Mini, 500, Beetle, etc.
The coolest thing about the car is it's power plant. It had a 318 cc 16-valve 4-cylinder engine that made 48 horsepower. Two cars were built between 1942 and 1945. If this went into production, this could've changed how we see Bugatti today all together.
That looks like a car from a Walt Disney cartoon.

Here's a car I just learned about, the Austin A90 Atlantic. Built as a convertible in 1949 and 1950, and as a coupe in 1951 and 1952. It was the first true post-war Austin. 2660cc inline-4 on a very short 96 inch wheelbase. It looks like it would have been a fun car. Sadly the design had a lot of little places where water and mud could accumulate and there was absolutely no rust-proofing, so only about 60 examples still exist.

Austin A90 Atlantic

Austin A90 Atlantic Sports Saloon

Back