You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Think this is the first one of these Pontiacs that I’ve seen in this body style
4C2C074B-EFC8-45B1-BD5A-2D8EF40B628A.jpeg

Thought it was a Caprice in the back but then I saw the Bonneville badge.

1954 Tatra JK 2500. The "JK" refers to the car's designer, Julius Kubinsky. Although it's often referred to as a Tatra prototype, that seems unlikely. It was originally fitted with a 66 hp 2500cc Alfa Romeo 4-cylinder engine, but was then given a 105 hp air-cooled V8 from the Tatra 603. Kubinsky used the car for about 13 or 14 years, but it's been lost ever since. The first few photos here are of the actual car (that's chrome trim separating the red from the black), the rest of the photos are a beautiful 3d render by xtopi.

Last edited:
1954 Tatra JK 2500. The "JK" refers to the car's designer, Julius Kubinsky. Although it's often referred to as a Tatra prototype, that seems unlikely. It was originally fitted with a 66 hp 2500cc Alfa Romeo 4-cylinder engine, but was then given a 105 hp air-cooled V8 from the Tatra 603. Kubinsky used the car for about 13 or 14 years, but it's been lost ever since. The first few photos here are of the actual car (that's chrome trim separating the red from the black), the rest of the photos are a beautiful 3d render by xtopi.

In stark contrast to other Tatra passenger vehicles of the period, it had the engine mounted in front to drive the rear* wheels. To fit the engine and cooling system, the dual fans mounted low and driven by belt were replaced by a single larger fan well ahead of the engine and driven by a shaft off of the crankshaft.

tatra_jk_2500_14_800_600.jpg

*Edit to add.

Last edited:
And to think there was only a GT - '40'

GT70:

that was designed by Ercole Spada at Ghia(same guy who penned most Zagatos and some amazing BMWs too, had the pleasure to work with him).

Speaking of whom, heres an obscure car in a private japanese collection, an handbuild, subaru powered, one model only, Ercole Spada designed, Osca Dromos.
This car oozes with design elements loved by spada, the bubble rooftop, the sphere section windshield, the dovetail in the back and an extremely clever and carefully designed window section all around the car. Shutlines and and the bodypanels are also work of art.
dromos004.jpg

here's some more of my 2 cents, a very obscure MigGeorgiaCentenaire, had it as a 1:43 scale Bburago model as a child. The story behind it is quite intriguing. Had a countach engine too, in one of its iterations. This has nothing to do with Spada.

i-mig_08.jpg

Last edited:
How about this? This is called the Stola Abarth Monotipo. A concept sports car from 1998.
st1998monotipo1837479.jpg

Stola-Abarth-Monotipo-Concept-11731.jpg

1631-3.jpg

Looks very 911-ish from the side view and the front looks a bit like a LaFerrari. Fair to say, I quite like it.
Here's another car Stola did. It's called the Dedica and it's based on a Fiat Barchetta.

Stola-Dedica-Concept_1996.jpg
dedica3.jpg

dedica2.jpg

How about this? This is called the Stola Abarth Monotipo. A concept sports car from 1998.
st1998monotipo1837479.jpg

Stola-Abarth-Monotipo-Concept-11731.jpg

1631-3.jpg

Looks very 911-ish from the side view and the front looks a bit like a LaFerrari. Fair to say, I quite like it.
I seem to recall it had a Busso V6. Those A-pillars are absolutely massive, though, and aren't helped by the presence of a clear roof panel with similar separation from the side glass and windshield.

I seem to recall it had a Busso V6. Those A-pillars are absolutely massive, though, and aren't helped by the presence of a clear roof panel with similar separation from the side glass and windshield.
Stola wasn't the best when it came to original designs, it was more appreciated for its manufacturing and engineering capabilities. Gotta say that Abarth Monotipo is like nothing you would expect from an italian carrozzeria.

I've always been a fan of the Delfino Feroce (since Project Gotham Racing was the one of the first games I ever played), but what I didn't know is that it essentially got a spiritual successor(?) in the form of the Murtaya.

MfFeJ0OF.jpg

2003 Ford Model U
This is quite interesting. This was a concept car shown at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show.
It was supposed to be a modern interpretation / successor the the iconic Model T.
The car had a 2.3 liter supercharged inline 4 hydrogen internal combustion engine. The body of the car is based on soy so it is recyclable.
2003_Ford_ModelUConcept1.jpg
ford-model-u-concept-03.jpg
2003_Ford_ModelUConcept15.jpg

Ferrari SP12 EC

A Ferrari 458 built for Eric Clapton with custom bodywork designed to look like the 512BB.

It looks awesome. This would have made a fantastic addition to the Ferrari line up if they went full production with this. As someone who doesn't really like how modern cars look and holds a candle for old cars, this slightly retro style is how I think all cars should look today. :lol:

_P__5880.jpg

1068758-1024.jpg

Latest Posts

Back