You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,186 comments
-> Hmm, I didn't know that Mitsu came up a roadster version of the 1st-generation Eclipse:

Mitsubishi (Eclipse) X25 Concept
46994087_2331948853485091_8820488389204639744_n.jpg

Ah, Facel, probably the un-Frenchiest of French brands. Not familiar with this one in particular, but I guess it's got a Chrysler engine much like the more commonly known Vega?

Ah, Facel, probably the un-Frenchiest of French brands. Not familiar with this one in particular, but I guess it's got a Chrysler engine much like the more commonly known Vega?
It appears to be an EX1, and those all had 361 B engines, the Hemi having been discontinued the last year of the EX.

Two more that were at the St. John’s concourse in Detroit
BE34589B-D393-4CE9-9FF7-B7D2BA7D4D30.jpeg
7EFEEFB9-A74E-486F-A6B9-6AF07A16A380.jpeg

Next year’s category is Ferrari Le Mans winners which will have some good surprises. Ferrari sports cars are a category too which is weird because Ferrari’s 70th was in 2017.

Two more that were at the St. John’s concourse in Detroit
be34589b-d393-4ce9-9ff7-b7d2ba7d4d30-jpeg.783629
7efeefb9-a74e-486f-a6b9-6af07a16a380-jpeg.783630

Next year’s category is Ferrari Le Mans winners which will have some good surprises. Ferrari sports cars are a category too which is weird because Ferrari’s 70th was in 2017.
That FVS in the pale green is just about perfect. The only thing it needs is the 383 and accompanying "Typhoon" designation, and a dark green interior. As a standard FV4 it has a Hemi, but the 383 was more powerful and only 36 Typhoons were built.

The Facel II above it followed the HK500 (which was the last iteration of the FV line) and has either a 383 or a 413, and its headlights were utilized by Radford for their Cooper 1275 S.

radford-cooper-jdclassics-com.jpg

Neither of those look even remotely similar.
I see the 850 lenses in the Miura, but if I wasn't aware of how they're attached, I'd not believe the Stratos lights came from the Simca.

The mounting surface is actually recessed into the rear panel so that the lenses don't stand quite so proud.

f94e13ebe66b88e05fdc4e1827ba9c7b.jpg

Mind you the trim ring is proud of the surrounding panel and the lens is proud of the trim ring.

1974_lancia_stratos_stradale_05_m.jpg
32879471490_cbe7ed27c2_b.jpg

Neither of those look even remotely similar.
The image of the Simca isn't of the greatest resolution but here's a link to some spare rear covers.
As seen on the shell @TexRex posted the outer rings change the appearance quite a lot.

I discovered it while watching this interview with Gandini, and I think we can trust the man that actually worked on designing these beauties. If the timestamp doesn't work skip to 12:20 on it.

I discovered it while watching this interview with Gandini, and I think we can trust the man that actually worked on designing these beauties.
Funny enough, another "G" at Bertone designed both of the donors--Giugiaro. Well, Giugiaro designed the Simca 1000 Coupé (and thereby the subsequent Simca 1200S Coupé) and the Fiat 850 Spider (and subsequent 850 Sport Spider). I love both of the little cars, though I prefer the later versions of both, and it was the earlier 850 that donated headlight lenses.

328.jpg
051016-Barn-Finds-1971-Fiat-850-Spider-1.jpg

Fantastic little things. They both have what I think are gorgeous accent creases on the beltline that meet or nearly meet the headlight trim rings.

I can see the Stratos and Simca now. But when you said the "glass and housing" between the 850 Spider and Miura, I thought you were talking about the windshield and windshield frame. And those are definitely not the same.

I can see the Stratos and Simca now. But when you said the "glass and housing" between the 850 Spider and Miura, I thought you were talking about the windshield and windshield frame. And those are definitely not the same.
That's funny. You're absolutely right, though, that's what was said. I guess I didn't notice because I know they shared headlight lenses and my mind-brain saw that as the context.

Nissan Cedric/Gloria, specifically the Y34 model

gloria.gif

I only learned about this vehicle after watching Engineering Explained's video about Nissan's high torque CVT they've developed... only to hear that it's been in use for nearly 2 decades already in this Cedric/Gloria.

Pretty cool transmission too:

extroid.gif

1983-85 Porsche B32
Based on the Volkswagen Type 2 (T3), the first prototype B32 was created as a fast and spacious support vehicle to carry out desert tests in Algeria with a Porsche 3.0L.
But the "production" model had a Carerra 3.2 and it had a 0-60 of 8.6 seconds with a top speed of 119 MPH. Porsche/Volkswagen made roughly 10 cars between 1983 and 1985.
main-pic-848x554.jpg
nice-rear-shot-787x565.jpg
interior-848x557.jpg
interior-1386-334x273.jpg
wheel-1386-334x273.jpg
engine-848x510.jpg

Taken from Facebook group Badge Engineered Design via Wikipedia.

And now for the unbranded, unbadged car:

The MUJI CAR 1000.

Known everywhere else as the Nissan Micra or Nissan March.

"... Muji is a Japanese retail company which sells a wide variety of household and consumer goods. Muji is distinguished by its design minimalism, emphasis on recycling, avoidance of waste in production and packaging, and no-logo or "no-brand" policy. The name Muji is derived from the first part of Mujirushi Ryōhin, translated as No Brand Quality Goods ..."

"... In April 2001 they issued the Muji Car 1000, a limited release of 1,000 badgeless and decontented Nissan Marches, only available online. Intended as an exercise to test their online marketing systems it was developed together with Nissan. The spartanly equipped little car was only offered in "marble white" ... "

Source: Wikipedia

FB_IMG_1544975513589.jpg

FB_IMG_1544975517748.jpg

VW Aquila

b298e809dc0dea9233ffdfd0331de97e.jpg
For what it's worth, it's actually an American Fibre Craft Aquila and it just happens to use a Volkswagen pan and running gear. Had it come a decade later, it might be based on a Pontiac Fiero instead.

I've always liked the Aquila, and despite the atrocious panel gaps, they really were built well (and have held up well) and benefit from removable body panels instead of a unitized laminated shell. Plus, because the Beetle "pan" (that car's version of a chassis frame) is unmodified, there's ample room for a thumping V8 behind the front seats as with Paul Newman's own (pun intended) Beetle.

I think I'd like a big valve Lotus twin cam and Renault 365 gearbox from a Europa Special, though.

The De Tomaso Deauville
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Tomaso
Wikipedia:
At the 2011 Geneva Motor Show, De Tomaso presented a new model.[19] The new De Tomaso Deauville was to have been a five-door hatchback/crossover vehicle with all-wheel drive, which, in the details of its styling, quotes models from BMW and Mercedes-Benz.[20] The proposed range included two gasoline engines with 300 PS and 500 PS as well as a diesel from VM Motori with 250 PS. The Deauville remained a prototype, as the new company never started production and Rossignolo was arrested in 2012.[21]

It reminds me a bit of Buick, maybe a bit of the Chrysler 200.
800px-De_Tomaso_2011_schr%C3%A4g.JPG

Back