You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Still discovering Chinese market cars that I never heard of.

Volkswagen Phideon:
vw-phideon-gte.jpg

volkswagen-phideon-revealed-to-europeans-will-be-sold-in-china_7.jpg

Honda Spirior:
Honda_Spirior_II_Si_02_China_2015-04-10.jpg
Still discovering Chinese market cars that I never heard of.

Volkswagen Phideon:
vw-phideon-gte.jpg

volkswagen-phideon-revealed-to-europeans-will-be-sold-in-china_7.jpg

Honda Spirior:
Honda_Spirior_II_Si_02_China_2015-04-10.jpg
That Honda actually looks pretty decent/

Thanks to a post by @Michelin Man in the "Describe a car in four words" game, I've been introduced to a car I've never seen or heard of before, the DAWB 6. In 1949, motorcycle racer Artie Bell approached Belfast machinist David Woods about building a motorcycle for him. Instead, they decided to make a car. It took until 1954 before the plans were finalized by which time Bell was already out, only contributing his initials to the name (David Artie Woods Bell = DAWB). It took until 1964 before the car was finished. Nearly the entire car was built from scratch. Only the windshield, rear window and door frames are borrowed from other cars. Everything else, including the engine, are original to this car. Even the starter motor and disc brakes are original.

The most unique thing about the car is the engine. It's a transversely-mounted air-cooled 1413cc inline-six with triple dual carbs on top of it, and then rotated 90° forward to lie on its side. The transmission is integrated into the engine and it drives the front wheels. I am confident in saying THERE IS NO OTHER ENGINE LIKE IT IN THE WORLD. It made 134 hp, an amazing 97hp/liter. Once it was built, Woods lost interest, and now it languishes in a museum. I love the looks of the car. The style is pleasingly well-balanced, with a strong hint of early-'60s Michelotti or Frua. The quad headlights and taillights are unlike anything else I've seen. I would love to hear that engine roar.

Thanks to a post by @Michelin Man in the "Describe a car in four words" game, I've been introduced to a car I've never seen or heard of before, the DAWB 6. In 1949, motorcycle racer Artie Bell approached Belfast machinist David Woods about building a motorcycle for him. Instead, they decided to make a car. It took until 1954 before the plans were finalized by which time Bell was already out, only contributing his initials to the name (David Artie Woods Bell = DAWB). It took until 1964 before the car was finished. Nearly the entire car was built from scratch. Only the windshield, rear window and door frames are borrowed from other cars. Everything else, including the engine, are original to this car. Even the starter motor and disc brakes are original.

The most unique thing about the car is the engine. It's a transversely-mounted air-cooled 1413cc inline-six with triple dual carbs on top of it, and then rotated 90° forward to lie on its side. The transmission is integrated into the engine and it drives the front wheels. I am confident in saying THERE IS NO OTHER ENGINE LIKE IT IN THE WORLD. It made 134 hp, an amazing 97hp/liter. Once it was built, Woods lost interest, and now it languishes in a museum. I love the looks of the car. The style is pleasingly well-balanced, with a strong hint of early-'60s Michelotti or Frua. The quad headlights and taillights are unlike anything else I've seen. I would love to hear that engine roar.
I also found this eBay listing of what looks to be a magazine article about the DAWB 6. I too would love to hear this engine's noise.

(thumbnails grabbed from eBay)
IMG_0096.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Something like a decade ago I was kicking around ideas for a small sports car that revolved around a Benelli Sei--I feel like I need to revisit that.

I was aware of the Cutlass Supreme but the others are news to me. That Beretta brings to mind the Ranger Splash.

I’ve seen a Dodge Stealth pace car, challenger convertible, and a few other ones but not those. Even the Chevy pace truck Silverado.

I was just out in traffic, and saw this (what I think was a) station wagon with "Black Diamond" decals on the side, down above the kick panels. It was black, of course. The design of the decals made me think they were factory, but obviously these days anything is possible. The era and styling of the car immediately made me think of the wagon version of the AMC Eagle, but Google isn't producing anything for me. Has anyone heard of something like this, or do you think the decals were probably custom? It was driving down an intersecting road, so I couldn't make out the manufacturer badges.

I was just out in traffic, and saw this (what I think was a) station wagon with "Black Diamond" decals on the side, down above the kick panels. It was black, of course. The design of the decals made me think they were factory, but obviously these days anything is possible. The era and styling of the car immediately made me think of the wagon version of the AMC Eagle, but Google isn't producing anything for me. Has anyone heard of something like this, or do you think the decals were probably custom? It was driving down an intersecting road, so I couldn't make out the manufacturer badges.

Think Black Diamond is a name Mitsubishi has used... there's some hits on Google for a Carisma GT Black Diamond Evo, but I doubt it was that.

Could it be a Hennessey Black Diamond CTS-V wagon? No decals on this one but that could be an option.
cadilac-cts-v-black--1_800x0w.jpg
cadilac-cts-v-black--6_800x0w.jpg

I saw that CTS on Google. The car I saw was definitely older, and the styling looked extremely similar to the AMC Eagle wagon. That could have been what it was, I've seen a few of those around, just with stickers. I was just hoping it was some awesome unicorn, haha.

I just learned about the Docker Daimlers. When these cars were made, both Daimler and the coachbuilder Hooper were owned by BSA, the motorcycle and arms manufacturer (BSA stands for Birmingham Small Arms). The director of BSA was the millionaire Sir Bernard Docker. In 1948, he commissioned the Green Goddess drophead coupé on the DE 36 chassis which utilized the Daimler straight eight engine. It was shown at the 1948 Earl's Court Motorshow where it was a sensation. Twelve more cars were built in the Green Goddess style, but while they are referred to as Green Goddess Daimlers, there is only one car that is the actual Green Goddess.

1948 Daimler DE 36 Green Goddess drophead coupé by Hooper

1949 Daimler DE 36 Green Goddess Hooper drophead coupé

In 1949, Sir Bernard marred twice-widowed socialite Norah Turner. He made her a director of Hooper, hoping to spice up the rather staid Daimler image. Again using the DE 36 chassis, Lady Docker commissioned a limousine for the 1951 Earl's Court show known variously as the Gold Car, Gold Daimler and Golden Daimler. The body is covered in 7000 hand-painted gold stars.

1951 Daimler DE 36 Gold Car

For 1952, she commissioned the Blue Clover Coupé.

1952 Daimler DE 36 Blue Clover Coupé by Hooper

Keeping to the coupé theme, the Silver Flash was built for the 1953 show. It was built on the smaller 3-liter six-cylinder Regency chassis as the DE was no longer in production. Last seen at an auction in the 1980s, this is the only Docker Daimler whose current whereabouts are unknown.

1953 Daimler Silver Flash Coupé by Hooper

Another limousine, this time on the DF400 chassis.

1954 Daimler DF400 Stardust limousine by Hooper

The final Docker Daimler is this gorgeous Golden Zebra. Like every Docker Daimler before, it was lavish. The dashboard was made of ivory. All the brightwork on the car was gold plated, including a gold zebra hood ornament. The interior was covered in genuine zebra hide. It was a five-seater with three-across in the front and two in the back, ensuring everyone had an unobstructed view forward.

1955 Daimler DK400 coupé by Hooper

The lavishness of the Dockers was too much for staid BSA, so Sir Bernard was voted out of his position, and all the Docker Daimlers were stripped of their non-standard parts and sold for pennies on the pound. Fortunately, they have all survived (at least I presume the Silver Flash still survives somewhere) and been restored.

Last edited:
The nose on that Silver Flash is special.

On the topic of Hooper...Peter Sellers had a Hooper car:

697d2f0f0fe45a18e6f3e3db4ec1712f.jpg

It was copied (with some differences) by Radford for Sellers' movie A Shot In The Dark.

minicooperpetersellers1.1729.jpg

Another one for today! :D

Autobianchi Bianchina Transformabile from 1957. I guess the manufacturer's name is not unknown for you guys.

800px-Autobianchi_Bianchina_special_%282015-08-28_front_b%29.jpg

The Bianchina Trasformabile, actually a typically Italian special body based on the Fiat Nuova 500, was released in autumn 1957, combining solid, low-maintenance engineering with a chic and luxurious form. The folding roof coupé offered Italian style with extravagant finesse, an affordable dream car for the resurgent Italian economy. A convertible, sedan and estate version were not added to the Trasformabile until later on.

Displacement: 499 ccm/R4
Gearbox: 4-speed
Power: 18 hp 0_0

This one would be suitable for Horizon 4! :D Am I officially weird if I like these type of cars?

Back