You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
I knew it was a tall engine, but I didn't realize why until now. Thanks for that post.
You bet. I've been enamored with it since I got to see one up close and personal as it and the Aceca that surrounded it were being restored some thirty years ago. One of the people involved in that job was kind enough to explain the details of it to me and I try to pass that along.

While I was looking for microcars on Google Images, I found a french thing called a Lambretta Willam Fourgonette and if I owned one, I would apply for a job as a village postal worker.

Why?

Well........ Here it is...
906_main_l.jpg

906_p2_l.jpg

906_p3_l.jpg

Anyone wanna have a guess?.....

I bet some of you are humming the theme song as you're looking at this.

The machine translation is "So far, some driving characteristics simply could not connect with each other." I think this is an old ad from when the C9 was a current race car. I believe they are trying to say that with that generation of S-Class, they'd finally figured out how to combine S-Class luxury with C9 level performance. A bit of a stretch, but I get the point.

Now I did know the fourth-generation Renault Espace existed, but until now I did not know it was yet another French recipient of the Nissan VQ35DE, as also fitted to the 350Z among various other Nissans. There's one for sale right now on eBay.

1.jpg

In this application it didn't quite make 350Z power, with around 240bhp, but I just love that Renault for a time used that engine in fairly regular cars. Others to receive it were the Laguna Coupe, and Vel Satis.

Renault_Laguna_Coupe_V6_Initiale_011.jpg

velsatis.jpg

Not so much a car I didn't know existed, but an entire manufacturer: Great Wall Motors, courtesy of one of its pick-up trucks, the Wingle 5. Or as it's marketed in the UK, the Steed.

e-1.gif

Based in Baoding in the Hebei province of China, the manufacturer's name is a generalisation that stems from the Zijigguan section of the Great Wall, and was established in 1984. It's China's largest SUV and pick-up truck producer, but also sells passenger cars as well as other SUVs under its Haval and WEY sub-brands.

Some of the model names (past and present) are quite interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Great_Wall_models

Not so much a car I didn't know existed, but an entire manufacturer: Great Wall Motors, courtesy of one of its pick-up trucks, the Wingle 5. Or as it's marketed in the UK, the Steed.

e-1.gif

Based in Baoding in the Hebei province of China, the manufacturer's name is a generalisation that stems from the Zijigguan section of the Great Wall, and was established in 1984. It's China's largest SUV and pick-up truck producer, but also sells passenger cars as well as other SUVs under its Haval and WEY sub-brands.

Some of the model names (past and present) are quite interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Great_Wall_models
I kind of want a Safe...or perhaps a 4Skinner with Safe bodywork.

536774d1396363623-great-wall-safe-2007-2008-dual-glp-img_20140318_130528061.jpg

I couple years back, I went to the Corvette Museum and saw this. I just assumed it was another C4 Vette Race Car in a SCCA series. However, I finally learned more about it.
20150726_105733.jpg

This was a Corvette ZR-1 that broke the world speed 24 hour endurance record back in 1990.

Yeah, I kinda already knew it existed since I saw it, but I didn't know what this Corvette was exactly. So, I guess this was technically the first C4 ZR-1 I saw in real life.

I couple years back, I went to the Corvette Museum and saw this. I just assumed it was another C4 Vette Race Car in a SCCA series. However, I finally learned more about it.
View attachment 805960

This was a Corvette ZR-1 that broke the world speed 24 hour endurance record back in 1990.

Yeah, I kinda already knew it existed since I saw it, but I didn't know what this Corvette was exactly. So, I guess this was technically the first C4 ZR-1 I saw in real life.

I've had a chance to see that one as well. Certainly a bold way to show what the LT5 was made of, although it makes me wonder what happened to the white L98-powered companion car they also ran.
175.jpg

2006 Kia SoulDodge Hornet Concept
gWtb1l3.jpg

I can't believe this thing showed up only a year after the 2005 Dodge Caliber concept... Apparently was, after a lot of jumping around between different manufacturers (the engine on the concept had a 170 HP BMW engine for example) going to be built on the same platform as the Nissan Versa, but it got scuttled after Chrysler filed for Chapter 11.

Back