You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
These a real shooting brake or a conversion?
84F7B34B-3CD4-4556-8480-C0727F1AED4E.jpeg

Thanks @SestoScudo! :cheers:

Alfa Romeo Scighera

Alfa_Romeo_164_Q4_Italdesign_Scighera.jpg

news_2003_044_327.jpg

Designed by Fabrizio Giugiaro and constructed by Italdesign of Turin, Italy in 1997. The name "Scighera" means mist in Milanese dialect.
The Scighera was conceived by Italdesign as a homage to Alfa Romeo's racing history and was designed to be a race car drives let on the road. The design combines modern and classic design elements. The front of the car draws inspiration from Formula One cars' front wing which has a low slung design and an integrated wing on the buttress in order to create downforce. The V shape of the front mimicks that of the Alfa Romeo logo. Due to the integrated wing, the car had thin headlamps that were infamously called "clown-eyes".

The Scighera is based on the 164, and has an all aluminium body, the frame structure is made of aluminium-carbon fibre composite, and powered by an Alfa Romeo 3.0 L (180 cu in) twin-turbocharged V6 engine. The engine produced a maximum power output of 400 hp (298 kW; 406 PS) at 7,500 rpm and 327 lb⋅ft (443 N⋅m) of torque. The all wheel drive system was derived from the 155. The interior of the car had Connolly leather upholstery.

The car can accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 3.7 seconds and had a top speed of 186 mph (299 km/h).

Italdesign intended to enter the Schigera into racing and even built a racing version of the car which had a bare interior, a large fixed rear wing and did away with the gull-wing mechanism and was considering a small-scale production for homologation, but it never came to fruition.

scigheria.jpg

Thanks @SestoScudo! :cheers:

Alfa Romeo Scighera

Alfa_Romeo_164_Q4_Italdesign_Scighera.jpg

news_2003_044_327.jpg

Designed by Fabrizio Giugiaro and constructed by Italdesign of Turin, Italy in 1997. The name "Scighera" means mist in Milanese dialect.
The Scighera was conceived by Italdesign as a homage to Alfa Romeo's racing history and was designed to be a race car drives let on the road. The design combines modern and classic design elements. The front of the car draws inspiration from Formula One cars' front wing which has a low slung design and an integrated wing on the buttress in order to create downforce. The V shape of the front mimicks that of the Alfa Romeo logo. Due to the integrated wing, the car had thin headlamps that were infamously called "clown-eyes".

The Scighera is based on the 164, and has an all aluminium body, the frame structure is made of aluminium-carbon fibre composite, and powered by an Alfa Romeo 3.0 L (180 cu in) twin-turbocharged V6 engine. The engine produced a maximum power output of 400 hp (298 kW; 406 PS) at 7,500 rpm and 327 lb⋅ft (443 N⋅m) of torque. The all wheel drive system was derived from the 155. The interior of the car had Connolly leather upholstery.

The car can accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 3.7 seconds and had a top speed of 186 mph (299 km/h).

Italdesign intended to enter the Schigera into racing and even built a racing version of the car which had a bare interior, a large fixed rear wing and did away with the gull-wing mechanism and was considering a small-scale production for homologation, but it never came to fruition.

scigheria.jpg

Great to see people remembering this masterpiece from Italdesign.

Chevrolet Captiva

First gen produced 2006-2018 and up until last week I had absolutely never, ever seen one nor even heard about it. For what amounts to a pseudo-captive import, the name is quite amusing.

I was wondering why I had never heard of it and looked up if Vauxpel had a similar model; they did, the Antara, of which I have also never heard of nor seen.

It's not even that bad looking except for the small wheels and tall ride height.

captiva_1.jpg

The best of it is, they made the Antara have a different rear end but left it looking very narrow from behind, like it was on tippy toes. Dark days under GM.

Chevrolet Captiva

First gen produced 2006-2018 and up until last week I had absolutely never, ever seen one nor even heard about it. For what amounts to a pseudo-captive import, the name is quite amusing.

I was wondering why I had never heard of it and looked up if Vauxpel had a similar model; they did, the Antara, of which I have also never heard of nor seen.

It's not even that bad looking except for the small wheels and tall ride height.

captiva_1.jpg
These are an extremely common sight in Australia, where they were sold as Holdens. Nothing special though, as it had relatively poor sales compared the other SUV's in the market.

Bit of a random find this one – the Citroën 2CV Cogolin, or Bicéphale (roughly translates as two-headed).

46191983621_7cc2e1f480_b.jpg

In the early 1950s the fire and rescue service in Cogolin, France, regularly used a Citroën 15-6 Traction Avant as part of their fleet. One night whilst on patrol, one of the service officials came across an obstruction on one of Cogolin's narrow mountain roads. Unable to turn the car around, he was forced to reverse down the road for several miles. Another official took an interest in the problem, and the two men ultimately created a car that could be driven in two directions. They combined two 2CVs with the front halves welded together, each with its own engine and controls. The "rear" wheels could be locked in neutral position by passing a bolt through the steering column, and for particularly difficult terrain, the car could be driven in AWD with two drivers and having one of the engines in reverse.

The Cogolin saw service until the early 1970s when it was retired. It was then neglected, but saved from a scrapyard by a local mechanic who had dreams of restoring it. In 2005, car collector Jeff Lane of the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville, first heard the story of the 2CV Cogolin. He decided he had to have a recreation of the car, putting the project in motion with the help of Citroën enthusiast and importer Erik de Widt and several other experts from across Europe. The remains of the original car were studied for information only, being too deteriorated to be otherwise useful – a pair of 2CVs from the early 1950s, with 12hp engines and centrifugal clutches like the originals, were imported to the US as the donor cars.

Now part of the Lane Motor Museum collection, the replica Cogolin made its debut at the 2007 Citroën Rendezvous in Saratoga Springs, New York.

-> ...
View attachment 812586
View attachment 812587
1995 Mustang Boss 10.0L

Ford put the Boss 429 inside 1994 Mustang SVT Cobra, bored and stroked to 10L of displacement.

855 HP
0-60 in 1.9 seconds.
^ I used to remember when MotorTrend tested this monster back in high school.

EDIT~> My grammar is still shaky.

Last edited:
Why doesn't it say BOSS 610 on the engine? Pffft, lazy Ford.
Possibly because its 4.6-inch bore and 4.5-inch stroke results in a 598 cubic inch displacement rather than 610, and pushing the cylinder wall and crankshaft clearance boundaries of the A460 block on which that motor is based results in a maximum of 604.

I'd think the better question is why not call it the Boss 9.8L or Boss 598.

Back