Your Assetto Corsa Reviews.

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 309 comments
Hey Felix long time no see! You on PC too no so why settle for the console version?

Hey dude, hope all is well. I have AC on both PC and PS4 now, main reason being that my gaming laptop is aging rapidly including the first hardware issues and I m not currently feeling like shelling out quadruple figures for a new one. And for some reason, I didnt give a damn for AC single player or online racing on PC, while I m enjoying it a lot on PS4. Also I kinda want to support Kunos, not enough to buy it again at full price (especially considering the limitations of the PS4 versions), but at the reduced price at the moment, oh heck... :P

I'm going to have to disagree with that, engine sounds in PCARS are just louder but they are mostly a generic 'V8' or 'V6', with the exact same transmission whine on practically all the cars.

In AC each car has it's own engine note and SFX.

I wonder how AC holds up against the Forza games in terms of sound...

I wonder how AC holds up against the Forza games in terms of sound...
MotogamesTV on YouTube have previously posted various audio comparisons between AC, Forza, pCARS & Driveclub and it seems DC & AC generally come out better in terms of engine sounds.

My last Forza was 4 so wouldn't be able to compare.

F4 has one of THE best car sounds in the business. F5 bettered those in so many ways.

Actually, the original Horizon has the second-best car sounds I've ever heard in a Forza game.

MotogamesTV on YouTube have previously posted various audio comparisons between AC, Forza, pCARS & Driveclub and it seems DC & AC generally come out better in terms of engine sounds.

Interesting - I've come across some people's impression calling the sounds fake and synthesized at the low rev range but generally fine as the rev needle climbs. Would you say they are similar to PCARS? Because most sounds in the latter were horrible.

F4 has one of THE best car sounds in the business. F5 bettered those in so many ways.

Actually, the original Horizon has the second-best car sounds I've ever heard in a Forza game.

Interesting - I've come across some people's impression calling the sounds fake and synthesized at the low rev range but generally fine as the rev needle climbs. Would you say they are similar to PCARS? Because most sounds in the latter were horrible.
True, I also find AC's sounds better when you get going, the low-rev noise isn't great, and often when stationary it sounds like the car has switched off; but I think generally AC's beefy engine sounds are better than pCARS', certainly in terms of individuality, as pCARS clearly has repeating audio.

Haven't played DC for a long time, but always thought it sounded decent enough. Can't comment on latter Forza games.

True, I also find AC's sounds better when you get going, the low-rev noise isn't great, and often when stationary it sounds like the car has switched off; but I think generally AC's beefy engine sounds are better than pCARS', certainly in terms of individuality, as pCARS clearly has repeating audio.

Haven't played DC for a long time, but always thought it sounded decent enough. Can't comment on latter Forza games.

You really should try out Horizon 2/3 and Forza 5/6. Sounds are good at idle and most of them sound close to the real thing throughout the rev range, if not completely spot on.

Sounds when stationary sound off? Its quite deep on my end... Even a bit of gurgle growl off the Abarth 500 when you blip the throttle a tiny bit and hear it ticking over.

Sounds when stationary sound off? Its quite deep on my end... Even a bit of gurgle growl off the Abarth 500 when you blip the throttle a tiny bit and hear it ticking over.
Yeah, many times after I've spun out and come to a standstill there seems to be no engine noise at all, and only comes back when getting back on the throttle. In the pits I can hear it no probs, but out on the track it's different.

Hmm, I must check next time. Usually I always pop the clutch if that happens to keep the revs up since you'll bog down off track anyway.

I returned AC on PS 4, the game doesn't compare In any way shape or form to Pcars... Graphics wise, I thought I was playing ridge racer..almost.. you are lying to yourself if you feel AC is a better overall package then Pcars

I returned AC on PS 4, the game doesn't compare In any way shape or form to Pcars... Graphics wise, I thought I was playing ridge racer..almost.. you are lying to yourself if you feel AC is a better overall package then Pcars
Yeah ok! Well good luck.

Yeah ok! Well good luck.
I almost threw up and fainted when I tried the Ferrari Gt2, panomera turbo and the worst one was the Lamborghini huracan... I can compare it to gran turismo 3...ridge racer was too harsh.. no joke...throw up and fainted..almost

Hi guys,
my review is pretty simple.
Don't buy this game! It's pure ****.

Played mostly with G29 and Patch 1.01

Full of serious (crash) and annoying bug, extremely weak or bad design choices in both game and UI (the game doesn't explain the meaning of an option or the choices available for it and what happens if you choose a value or another one), insufficient features, trophies which pop-up without satisfy the required condition, stupid AI (in comparison Driveclub AI was devastated but this is worse) scam advertising (where are the cars showed in every youtube preview video released in august just before the release?), bug, bug, and bug again.

The career mode is NOT fun. Repetitive and lacks of progression. It's too difficult and it penalizes the player when he tries to achieve a better results even if the most difficult goal is yet achieved. Bug are frequently and annoying.

Graphics (overall) is quite good and better than my expectations. Cockpit view as FOV regulation
Very good sounds effects/engine.
Replay is acceptable but with tearing.

Wheel is strongly recommended. PAD is acceptable with most of the cars.

Conceptually this is a bad game from the 90' (In 2016 I cannot see the entire replay of my single lap race on the Nurburgring and it started from the middle race. Are you kidding me???) with a very good and fun simulation.
The developers don't have the required game design, technical knowledge and experience to develop a PC simulator into a full game and then port it to the console.
Console market is extremely different and they haven't understood this foundation.

The only thing that works is the accurate simulation. But it is not enough to justify all the previous lacks and sell it as a fully functional game (and almost at full price).
Quality (not quantity) is light years far away from other titles (Forza/GT/Project Cars/Dirt Rally/Driveclub) which are the actual reference in the market.

last but not least I wonder to know how it had passed the sony and MS certifications before the release. This is something not good for the market health.

PS:
- I strictly recommend the destructoid review https://www.destructoid.com/review-assetto-corsa-383268.phtml which I can confirm word by word.
- sorry for bad English.

Hi Ian :lol:
I agree that AC isn't as pretty as a GT game. But, ridge racer? I have to disagree.

Let me ask you this. How did your drive feel? Serious question. Isn't that what we're doing here, driving? Physics, feedback, things that really matter to sim racing, what's your view on that?

If graphics are what you consider to make a great sim racer, or game for that matter, then I'm happy for you. I, on the other hand, would choose as close to life like physics, tire models and feedback as my choice for a sim racer.

So my review on AC is to buy it. if you like great physics, feedback, laser scanned tracks, great communications from the company and a promising calander year on top of what we have got, it makes it a no brainer for those who love to drive. Even if the graphics take second fiddle to simulation. It's about the drive and this drive is fun!
:cheers: Fellas.

Finally achieved Gold (tier four) in special events Cayman GT4 Club on mugello. Very tough race, but enjoyed it very much. The AI very challenging and great fun to race against. Great driving simulator. I appreciate that we are able to enjoy such driving experience on PS4. Well done!

For those that have AC on PC as well as PS4. Do you feel that the driving feel is the same? Only difference being the available types of gameplay?

I started driving regularly on PC with Grand Prix Legends in 1998. There were a few before that, but they did not feel real at all. Fun, but not realistic. GPL was the first simulation that felt real. Back to today. I first purchased Grand Turismo 5 after trying GT4 at a friends house. It was fun and felt OK. Close enough to enjoy driving and gave me that emersion into the car and track. But the engine sounds were not that good. I loved the start up sound of the 427 Cobra, but once you start driving it's completely different. Like they recorded a real 427 starting up, but then went with the synthisized sounds from there on.

The sounds in AC sound pretty good. Without actually driving these cars I would not be able to tell the difference. I have PCars too for the PS4 and do not drive it as much as AC. It feels OK and the sounds are OK. I just seem to gravitate to AC more.

Anyhow, back to my question. Is AC for PC the same feel as AC for PS4?

For those that have AC on PC as well as PS4. Do you feel that the driving feel is the same? Only difference being the available types of gameplay?
That's pretty much the general consensus. 100% the same for driving feel, but package is different of course.

Only thing console is lacking is some features from the PC version, but even today Marco said the idea is to have everything the same as PC where possible. Maybe will get stuff quicker now with the takeover.

#POSITIVITY

Which has been the party line since the original console announcement. Not sure how that changes things.
That's true but It's not like they haven't been doing other stuff or have other tasks. Stefano has been working on lobbies this month, that means nothing else gets coded for as long as ge is working on that. What's funny is the PC version doesn't have custom lobbies, will They get them? Or will PC players be left moaning they dont have parity with Console lol.

Only thing console is lacking is some features from the PC version, but even today Marco said the idea is to have everything the same as PC where possible. Maybe will get stuff quicker now with the takeover.

#POSITIVITY

I thought it was interesting watching one of Gamer Muscles streams on Youtube. PC players commenting how the frame rate is pants on Barcelona for the PC version as well.

Hey Dudes, just getting started on A/C, I have sunk a good few Hours into PCars, played gt series for many years, different games, they have different good and bad bits, I can't comment too much on A/C at the moment as not played it enough, but I do agree with a lot of the positive and negative comments on here so far, what I would like to see is people stop getting banned from this website(which I love by the way) for simply stating their opinion if it's negative towards the game, I know there's ways of putting your point across but I can't see too much wrong with some of the comments, people are entitled to their opinion even if you don't agree with it, at times it seems like if you say something negative without adding something positive a pack of wolves descend on you, there's not much I can say that i have experienced with the game thus far due to game time, but first impressions, Ai is skewed, graphics off track are for new gen console, pathetic, sounds are great(I'm mainly GT man so no surprise there), Career is pretty light, doesn't immerse you in a feeling of being a real race driver in the real world, doesn't bother me too much as I play online mostly but I like to start with career to get used to the game/cars/tracks and get my skill level up before going online. cars look great, good pov options, Online seems fine other than private lobbies except only so many cars allowed in each session, don't see a reason for this, overall the complete package as a game seems weak but the driving seems fantastic, that will do for me as I will personally sacrifice some things for better feedback and driving feel, and it bodes well for the next instalment of A/C, I will definitely be sinking many hours on this game, but I also won't be judging people who are unhappy with many aspects of the game as there points are usual valid and just because it has great physics etc doesn't excuse some of the flaws, but given their budget I will forgive and look forward to a more complete game in the future and hopefully A/C will push other developers to better their physics, great thread. PEACE

Hey Dudes, just getting started on A/C, I have sunk a good few Hours into PCars, played gt series for many years, different games, they have different good and bad bits, I can't comment too much on A/C at the moment as not played it enough, but I do agree with a lot of the positive and negative comments on here so far, what I would like to see is people stop getting banned from this website(which I love by the way) for simply stating their opinion if it's negative towards the game, I know there's ways of putting your point across but I can't see too much wrong with some of the comments, people are entitled to their opinion even if you don't agree with it, at times it seems like if you say something negative without adding something positive a pack of wolves descend on you, there's not much I can say that i have experienced with the game thus far due to game time, but first impressions, Ai is skewed, graphics off track are for new gen console, pathetic, sounds are great(I'm mainly GT man so no surprise there), Career is pretty light, doesn't immerse you in a feeling of being a real race driver in the real world, doesn't bother me too much as I play online mostly but I like to start with career to get used to the game/cars/tracks and get my skill level up before going online. cars look great, good pov options, Online seems fine other than private lobbies except only so many cars allowed in each session, don't see a reason for this, overall the complete package as a game seems weak but the driving seems fantastic, that will do for me as I will personally sacrifice some things for better feedback and driving feel, and it bodes well for the next instalment of A/C, I will definitely be sinking many hours on this game, but I also won't be judging people who are unhappy with many aspects of the game as there points are usual valid and just because it has great physics etc doesn't excuse some of the flaws, but given their budget I will forgive and look forward to a more complete game in the future and hopefully A/C will push other developers to better their physics, great thread. PEACE
Congratulations. I'd have to check with a mod but this just might be the longest two sentence post in the history of GTPlanet:lol:

Congratulations. I'd have to check with a mod but this just might be the longest two sentence post in the history of GTPlanet:lol:

Thank you for your comment, which was made in the most beautifully sarcastic way possible. I will refrain from saying exactly what is on my mind other than I find it a little sad(but not surprising) that you chose to comment on a grammatical aspect of my post rather than the content itself.

Thank you for your comment, which was made in the most beautifully sarcastic way possible. I will refrain from saying exactly what is on my mind other than I find it a little sad(but not surprising) that you chose to comment on a grammatical aspect of my post rather than the content itself.
Except the grammatical aspect is almost as important as the content itself.

In my case, it was enough for me to give up on reading your post after a couple of lines.

I'll put it another way. Your original post filled the entire screen on my smartphone on the smallest text size. That makes it problematic to read. Not everyone is using a PC connected to a big screen. Paragraphs are your friend.

As for your post, I broadly agree with what you're saying about the game. That's assuming that "AI skewed" is referring to the variable performance of it in career/seasonal? There are developer time lines at work there. Career mode was put in at a certain tyre grade. Since then the tyres have been changed several times and it's been V6 since the last time I heard if any changes being made to reflect the latest tyres. (V10).

The only issue I have with your post is that no user is banned for being negative about the game. Only for clear trolling behaviour beyond what is expected for normal behaviour. You yourself describe the side of track graphics as "pathetic". I take it that if you met the person responsible for the graphics you'd use that word to that person - face to face? It is easy to drift from criticism, which is valid, to insults, which are not.

Last edited:
Good grammar is expected at all times on GTP, you agreed to that when you joined here. I was giving you a humourous heads up. I could have notified a moderator instead so I was doing you a favour. You're welcome.

Back