Your Assetto Corsa Reviews.

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 309 comments
Question; is 'the real driving simulator' more befitting for AC? :D

Answer from me "yes" for sure at least "your driving simulator" rather than "racing". Having said that i've gone from hot lapping comparisons of AC and PCars to 10 lappers using 15 AI on both in GT3 cars and AC isn't too bad with the AI, they so far at least haven't done anything crazy or random which is a bit of a shame as I like the random stuff in PCars, getting to a corner to find a car driving back onto track throws a whole "right where is he gonna re join!" situation where you think quick and make a choice not always the right one.

AC for the most part so far, nothing occurs like this with AI.
But they do fight for position and are pretty fun to follow for a bit as will occasionally take different lines and fight other AI, but PCars in my comparison the AI really are in a race themselves, you can spend 2 laps following 2-3 AI dog fighting each other for position then await them over cooking it and pounce and take 2-3 places.

AC really does feel like one of those pro simulators (i know a guy who runs one) it feels like playing that rather than feels like a real life race... for me, PCars feels the opposite, it feels like a real race.
Forgive me for thinking out loud and this may sound very very odd... but yes, AC feels like a console simulation of a professional simulator for your home....??!!??
I need to take a break. :lol:

Answer from me "yes" for sure at least "your driving simulator" rather than "racing". Having said that i've gone from hot lapping comparisons of AC and PCars to 10 lappers using 15 AI on both in GT3 cars and AC isn't too bad with the AI, they so far at least haven't done anything crazy or random which is a bit of a shame as I like the random stuff in PCars, getting to a corner to find a car driving back onto track throws a whole "right where is he gonna re join!" situation where you think quick and make a choice not always the right one.
Actually i think they tweaked that lately. On PC in the last 2 races i did against the AI i saw a message appearing 'car.... has retired'. So good chance this will be added on consoles soon together with the overall AI update.

AC really does feel like one of those pro simulators (i know a guy who runs one) it feels like playing that rather than feels like a real life race... for me, PCars feels the opposite, it feels like a real race.
Forgive me for thinking out loud and this may sound very very odd... but yes, AC feels like a console simulation of a professional simulator for your home....??!!??
I need to take a break. :lol:
They never updated the AI anymore in PCARS this year no? They were way too erratic and that kinda messed up the experience. Check out this vid of one of my quali sessions in the superkarts:

I don't think that was even patched.

Question; is 'the real driving simulator' more befitting for AC? :D
From a PC point of view it is definitely both race and drive. Like i have said before... i "race" online and via LAN as i have 2 rigs side by side, and it definitely has the best racing feel i have ever experienced.
  • AC's collision physics and the sound of the hits are spot on (equal or better than FM),
  • the sounds of the cars around you are perfect on default (but can be adjusted)
  • the incar views are adjustable
  • you can delete the hands in cockpit view and the whole wheel too
  • the servers have been stable and there is plenty to choose from
  • the other racers are fair , especially on Minorated servers (a good system)
maybe I'm easily impressed, but i don't hot lap much anymore unless im trying to match cars up for future races (ie ballast)....racing is what i hang to do.

A rare simuation but still quite fun to play with a DualShock. Kunos Simulazioni made a great job. Good car-list, not huge but well assorted, audio and visuals are nice and an outstandig race-feeling.
Too bad for the difficulty level wich make frustrating to go though the career mode.

PROS
  • Very playable with a pad
  • Some legendary cars
  • Good optimization
CONS
  • Not many tracks
  • No day/night cicle and rain
  • Difficulty level absurd
Hours played: 50+

SCORE: 8.5

A rare simuation but still quite fun to play with a DualShock. Kunos Simulazioni made a great job. Good car-list, not huge but well assorted, audio and visuals are nice and an outstandig race-feeling.
Too bad for the difficulty level wich make frustrating to go though the career mode.

PROS
  • Very playable with a pad
  • Some legendary cars
  • Good optimization
CONS
  • Not many tracks
  • No day/night cicle and rain
  • Difficulty level absurd
Hours played: 50+

SCORE: 8.5
Not sure about the optimization being in the pro list. The framerate and tearing say hello :P

Let me start by saying as a long time Gran Turismo fan I was not a fan of AC at first impression. As many mentioned it did and still seems to be lacking alot of necessary content...ie: private online lobbies specifically and an open button layout option. Also, on the ps4 version it seems to be at a GT5-GT6 (PS3) graphics level when I was expecting pcars level graphics. Also, a larger car and track list would have been welcome (but is not a deal breaker). That's my cons.
As for the "feel", I can't put the game away. The physics and overall feel of the steering feels so real and natural, especially the more you get acclimated to it. Also, using the h-gate shifter and some heel-toe downshifting, the immersion is addictive. Each car has it's specific character, and every time I fire AC up it amazes me how much was able to be captured in the driving experience. Also, to add to that, the laser scanned tracks send every ripple, bump, and undulation through your hands.
So on the above note and after much time on AC, I have found that neither GT nor Pcars seems to fulfill my driving itch.
My final thoughts: great feeling game, but if it had Gran Turismo's online community quality and larger car count, with Pcar's graphics and large track list it would be the ultimate and complete console sim title.
Ps: still can't get over the feel.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying as a long time Gran Turismo fan I was not a fan of AC at first impression. As many mentioned it did and still seems to be lacking alot of necessary content...ie: private online lobbies specifically and an open button layout option. Also, on the ps4 version it seems to be at a GT5-GT6 (PS3) graphics level when I was expecting pcars level graphics. Also, a larger car and track list would have been welcome (but is not a deal breaker). That's my cons.
As for the "feel", I can't put the game away. The physics and overall feel of the steering feels so real and natural, especially the more you get acclimated to it. Also, using the h-gate shifter and some heel-toe downshifting, the immersion is addictive. Each car has it's specific character, and every time I fire AC up it amazes me how much was able to be captured in the driving experience. Also, to add to that, the laser scanned tracks send every ripple, bump, and undulation through your hands.
So on the above note and after much time on AC, I have found that neither GT nor Pcars seems to fulfill my driving itch.
My final thoughts: great feeling game, but if it had Gran Turismo's online community quality and larger car count, with Pcar's graphics and large track list it would be the ultimate and complete console sim title.
Ps: still can't get over the feel.

Your thoughts on how well it captures car sound?

Your thoughts on how well it captures car sound?
I would say overall, the car sounds are satisfying and seem to attempt to be as accurate as possible. The Mustang GT springs to mind as the real 5.0 in them cars have their own unique bellowing sound that AC seemed to capture very well.

AC seem to do most of the newer road cars spot on for sound, if only exaggerated for volume levels. But then it drops the ball on other older road cars by making them sound like they all have ricer cannon exhausts with 42psi boost lag....what gives????

AC seem to do most of the newer road cars spot on for sound, if only exaggerated for volume levels. But then it drops the ball on other older road cars by making them sound like they all have ricer cannon exhausts with 42psi boost lag....what gives????
Inability to FIND a stock version of an old car? If I recall correctly, for example, they couldn't locate a non modified R34.

I would say overall, the car sounds are satisfying and seem to attempt to be as accurate as possible. The Mustang GT springs to mind as the real 5.0 in them cars have their own unique bellowing sound that AC seemed to capture very well.

Hmm, is it safe to say that the sound is a bit of a mixed bag? Would you say it's at the same level as F6/5 or better?

I dont buy the "we couldnt find a stock r34" excuse...as i have said before "its a small world out there"....someone has one and all it would take is a dyno and a sound engineer (flown in from italy) and you would have perfection!

its been a while since i've run FM5, (which i considered the best at sound) but i think AC is on par with it.

I dont buy the "we couldnt find a stock r34" excuse...as i have said before "its a small world out there"....someone has one and all it would take is a dyno and a sound engineer (flown in from italy) and you would have perfection!

its been a while since i've run FM5, (which i considered the best at sound) but i think AC is on par with it.
If its so easy you should be able to find one on the web in no time. Care to give it a try?

Hmm, is it safe to say that the sound is a bit of a mixed bag? Would you say it's at the same level as F6/5 or better?
I've never played or heard sounds from f5or f6 so I cannot place a judgement in that regard. I would say the sound at mid to upper range, as stated above, sounds good on most road cars. The part I would say I'm not a fan of is the immediate off idle ramp up of engine sound....it sounds very computerized generated, but then sound good theough the latter rev range.

www.harlow-Japanese-autos.co.uk/HJA123.html done in under a minute mate....in the classifieds...in what was technically Europe lol.....and i didnt even search gtr clubs, it was up for sale in a car yard!
upload_2016-11-24_22-6-40.png

Last edited:
I've never played or heard sounds from f5or f6 so I cannot place a judgement in that regard. I would say the sound at mid to upper range, as stated above, sounds good on most road cars. The part I would say I'm not a fan of is the immediate off idle ramp up of engine sound....it sounds very computerized generated, but then sound good theough the latter rev range.

Dude, you need to get FM5 just for the sounds. Right from the low to mid and high ranges, they sound incredible. Very natural. Your sound system will kick your rear, I promise. :lol:

Dude, you need to get FM5 just for the sounds. Right from the low to mid and high ranges, they sound incredible. Very natural. Your sound system will kick your rear, I promise. :lol:
It would be nice, but already too invested in PS4....the mrs. would be ready to strangle me if I made a go at another system...lol

Well, better late than never I guess...

Absolutely SPOT ON!! Great video, nice work. It's very sad that this video will never be seen by Kunos, let alone resolve the issues mentioned.

Most all of my issues with the game are on the online side of it. Playing last night I realized the times don't display after qualifying or the race, as the video describes. How one of the most simple and basic functionalities of a racing game such as that is missing is beyond me.

...then there's not being able to pick a livery for an online race. :banghead:

Sorry, not trying to turn this into an Epic Whinging and Crying Thread. ;)

I bought AC on PS4 today after my Dirt Rally Debacle. Its not exactly a looker compared to the PC version and the online update cant come soon enough, but other than that, its a lot of fun: The driving just feels sublime, even with so little tweaking options to the wheel. Could have whupped that Z3 GT3 around the Nürburgring for hours, if it wasnt for the clock running out. The sound is really good as well and the AI are much more fun to race against than GTs snooze bonanza or pcars destruction derby bots. The special events are quite challenging (maybe too hard for my limited talent), but I m enjoying career mode too until now, so thats where I will spend my driving time until they improve online races.

I bought AC on PS4 today after my Dirt Rally Debacle. Its not exactly a looker compared to the PC version and the online update cant come soon enough, but other than that, its a lot of fun: The driving just feels sublime, even with so little tweaking options to the wheel. Could have whupped that Z3 GT3 around the Nürburgring for hours, if it wasnt for the clock running out. The sound is really good as well and the AI are much more fun to race against than GTs snooze bonanza or pcars destruction derby bots. The special events are quite challenging (maybe too hard for my limited talent), but I m enjoying career mode too until now, so thats where I will spend my driving time until they improve online races.
Hey Felix long time no see! You on PC too no so why settle for the console version?

I haven't raced many tracks on Asseto yet but I tried Spa and was quite disappointed. It looks quite dire compared with Project Cars or even GT6.

How ever the engine sounds are excellent though still not as good as Project Cars. Overall the only god thing about Asseto is the physics; spot on.

How ever the engine sounds are excellent though still not as good as Project Cars. Overall the only god thing about Asseto is the physics; spot on.
I'm going to have to disagree with that, engine sounds in PCARS are just louder but they are mostly a generic 'V8' or 'V6', with the exact same transmission whine on practically all the cars.

In AC each car has it's own engine note and SFX.

Overall the only god thing about Asseto is the physics; spot on.

You're on PS4, correct? That'd be my rough assessment too; in terms of physics and feedback it's in a class by itself on the PS4. But otherwise, there's not much it offers that I'd honestly recommend it for for folks on consoles, especially those without a serious wheel setup. Then again, IMO, the PS4 is the weaker option in terms of consoles when it comes to racing games, at least right now.

That said, for its current discount price (plus the season pass), it's a lot easier pill to swallow. And it sounds like the game will be supported for at least the first half of 2017 in terms of DLC.

I'd say Porsches are a serious draw, but it looks like that will quickly become less of a unique selling point this year, if the iRacing news is a sign of things to come. :D

I'm going to have to disagree with that, engine sounds in PCARS are just louder but they are mostly a generic 'V8' or 'V6', with the exact same transmission whine on practically all the cars.

In AC each car has it's own engine note and SFX.

I had to turn main engine sounds in Assetto Corsa down to 48% because they're so loud. Now I can hear the subtle tyre scraping and other bumps and bangs in the suspension. All the finer sounds I hadn't heard before. Think I toned opponent cars down to 60 or 67% since they're further away from me without drowning my own car. Kept tyres at 100% and master volume 90 percent.

Even the BMW M4 is nice and heavier in bass like the heavy dampening loud but deeper.

Latest Posts

Back