Your faith in Gran Turismo - has it been permanently damaged?

• Thread starter Razamataz
  • 395 comments
Your first statement is absolutely spot on. Constant downhill since GT4.

About the game having considerably more japanese cars than other contries, it's because PD is a japanese company and they have the licenses to pretty much any relevant japanese manufacturer, and also because it's in Japan, they have an easier time getting to model the japanese cars.
I won't mind having more japanese cars than the rest, since in terms of volume, they have a lot of charm and have lots of fans even outside of Japan.
What I find inexcusable is for example, a car like the C8 Corvette, Lexus LFA (a japanese car of all things) or the 918 Spyder not being in the game at launch, or having irrelevant VGTs and Gr. cars that any of us could've just made in GT Auto and Livery Editor instead of of PD making them actual cars for sale in the Dealers...

As for Forza... Motorsport never quite was like Gran Turismo, but it sure as hell has been learning from it's mistakes and doesn't have nearly as many flaws as Gran Turismo. I in fact have always wanted an Xbox just for this game alone, but considering it's literally the only game I would ever play in Xbox (since most of it's exclusives are crap, lets be honest), I just couldn't waste 500$ on it.

Forza Horizon however is a different story... It's a literal arcade racing game, in no way comparable to Gran Turismo, and most people who like these types of games tend to not like the approach something like Gran Turismo has to racing since it's closer to a sim than to an arcade and has a vastly different career mode. Forza Horizon is more like a Need For Speed... I personally stay away from those types of games but I understand how many people can enjoy them.
I dont consider $500 and change a waste to get a console for a game I like, even if its just GT7, which is what I plan on only playing. Future games like GT8 too. Nothing in Sony's lineup interests me one bit. The Xbox line up to me is much stronger also with game pass snowballing bigger and bigger its a no brainer to own that system. Its going to be sick just buying the game ONCE and I can play it across all systems like Forza 7, FH5 and even Flight Simulator. I love having the flexibility of a series X, xbox 1 x, pc, gaming laptop and eventually a PS5.

So, just like back in 2011 where I bought an x360 slim + 320gb hard drive + Forza Motorsports 4, history repeats itself. Now going to cost at least $399 for a non disc ps5 + GT7. I cant wait, I've honestly been lucky getting pc parts before covid prices, getting a series X, and a '21 Blade 14 for a great deal NEW.

I dont consider $500 and change a waste to get a console for a game I like, even if its just GT7, which is what I plan on only playing. Future games like GT8 too. Nothing in Sony's lineup interests me one bit. The Xbox line up to me is much stronger also with game pass snowballing bigger and bigger its a no brainer to own that system. Its going to be sick just buying the game ONCE and I can play it across all systems like Forza 7, FH5 and even Flight Simulator. I love having the flexibility of a series X, xbox 1 x, pc, gaming laptop and eventually a PS5.

So, just like back in 2011 where I bought an x360 slim + 320gb hard drive + Forza Motorsports 4, history repeats itself. Now going to cost at least $399 for a non disc ps5 + GT7. I cant wait, I've honestly been lucky getting pc parts before covid prices, getting a series X, and a '21 Blade 14 for a great deal NEW.
Not all people are that "wealthy" to buy that many systems. Xbox interests you more, but Sony's lineup is on the interest of most people looking at the stats.

And yeah, in your case, someone who buys only digital, those subscriptions are really valuable (IMO, for those people, like you, Xbox is a must have since Game Pass is a huge deal).

I however, for example, don't play digital at all. I buy all of my games physical, because I like to own those games and have them in my shelf.
And I also don't play that many games per year. Maybe 5 or 6 NEW generation games and about a couple of others from the past that I have missed out, where I can just go to the used market and buy them discs for ~10-15€ or less sometimes.

So for me, dishing out 200€ per year on a subscription is of no value at all. Because I would rather waste 300€ on the few games I really like and want to play and that I know will be mine forever or until I sell them (something that digital buyers can't do).
There are also games that maybe in 10-15 or more years I want to play again and if nothing unusually happens, I will be able to play them at no cost.

Regardless, there's many players these days who go digital (and it keeps on increasing) so Microsoft is absolutely nailing it with GamePass. But it seems Sony is finally answering with some new subscriptions of their own. Still not as good as GamePass from what I've seen but a lot better than what it is now.

TL: DR

If you only buy physical releases and don't play many games, GamePass AND the new PS Plus subscriptions that are going on the market in the future, are of no value at all.

Last edited:
Well idk why PD made the payouts/rewards much smaller like we need to work harder in order to earn them. In gt5 the stakes were much higher, they should've left it alone, and the special events in gt5 had huge money payouts if you got gold and silver. I guess we'll see how I like it when I buy gt7 later, but they need to fix that.

I don't think my faith in Gran Turismo is completely gone. It's been slightly over a month since the GT7 was released and there's a lot of room for the game to grow. I personally like the format of GT7, but at the same time, these elements I like such as the Legends Dealership do need a bit of tweaking.

When the PS5 was revealed, I felt that Sony wanted to push a GT game more than ever, which probably sacrificed the time to completely refine the game. As long as the content is free, I won't complain, I thought PD did a great job with Sport, although it wasn't a full-fledged GT game with the new content every month.

One additional thing is that I certainly have much more faith in GT and Polyphony Digital than with Game Freak with Pokemon. At least the car models/graphics are gorgeous unlike the terrible graphics and lack of innovation the new Pokemon games have.

Permanently damaged, I'm not sure about... definitely shaken.

I don't blame Kaz or PD, I would bet any amount of money most of GT7's issues stem from Sony execs meddling, pushing for low payouts to encourage micro-transactions for example. Requiring online connections. Etc etc.

I just feel like more time should have been spent on developing the core game: adding cars, honing the physics, AI, etc. Rather than trying to be an automotive encyclopaedia, photography and astronomy simulator (simulating the stars? Really?), it tries to do so many things at once, to please too many people.

It does feel like the game is trying to be a celebration of the automobile but at the end of the day it really needs to be a game, first and foremost. And it's not quite as solid as the earlier games... yet.

Last edited:

I don't blame Kaz or PD, I would bet any amount of money most of GT7's issues stem from Sony execs meddling, pushing for low payouts to encourage micro-transactions for example. Requiring online connections. Etc etc.

I just feel like more time should have been spent on developing the core game: adding cars, honing the physics, AI, etc. Rather than trying to be an automotive encyclopaedia, photography and astronomy simulator (simulating the stars? Really?), it tries to do so many things at once, to please too many people.

It does feel like the game is trying to be a celebration of the automobile but at the end of the day it really needs to be a game, first and foremost. And it's not quite as solid as the earlier games... yet.
Because we all know all other PS studios do all that as well, right?
I think it has everything to do with Kaz being out of touch with what is and isn't acceptable outside JP. Maybe if the PS execs were still there to keep an eye on him, we'd be playing a different GT7 right now.

If Sony has this much control over the fundamental design of the game, in what sense is it developed by Polyphony? If this was true they'd essentially be a contract studio hired to build Sony's idea of a racing game.

This also ignores that all the "problems" that get assigned to Sony are extensions of ideas that Polyphony has been trying to put into Gran Turismo since GT HD. If it's Sony's fault, they've been running Polyphony since the early 2000's and Kaz is just a figurehead.

If Sony has this much control over the fundamental design of the game, in what sense is it developed by Polyphony? If this was true they'd essentially be a contract studio hired to build Sony's idea of a racing game.
It doesn't necessarily need to be that overt. Could just be part of Sony's publishing contract that PD must include the components like always-online, MTX and daily-tribute based lootboxes (roulette tickets after mileage threshold) to please shareholders. Doesn't mean an exec is visiting the offices every day looming over employees' computers telling them what to do.

I think a lot of the problem is that while GT7 is fundamentally a better game in terms of physics, graphics, AI, and all those basic elements of a racing game, the actual gameplay of GT4 is still arguably better. There's more of it and it's better structured. It's not a slam dunk, but I think there's a solid case to be made either way.

If they'd taken the GT4 career mode and translated it into GT7 (so fill out the races to a full GT7 field and swap tracks/cars where needed for what's available) it seems like that would be a big step up. And that's just copy/pasting from a 2004 game - presumably if they'd wanted they could have taken the last 18 years of game development learnings to create a career that was really engaging.

It is great to see GT7 do well in a lot of the areas that it's been struggling with, but I find it hard to be too excited when it's still struggling to keep up with even it's own history in others. I assume that in a couple of years it will end up being a better version of GT4 once it's full of content, but watching Polyphony struggle to put together a game that unequivocally exceeds all their past efforts (which you would have thought would be fairly easy) feels a bit like watching a toddler trying to dress themselves. They'll probably get there eventually but they're going to be mostly naked for quite a while, and while it's sort of funny to watch it's also sort of irritating when they start taking clothes off again instead of putting them on. Cute, but frustrating.

I think this is going to be how I describe Polyphony to people from now on - cute, but frustrating. I like a lot of what they do, but **** me, sometimes they just need someone to sit them down and jam some pants on them.
That's a strange analogy mate. I agree that GT4 has the better career mode and structure, but it obviously falls flat in other areas. GT7 may not be the perfect spiritual successor to that game but it has soo much more to give, and the foundation that PD have created has given me faith that the glory days will return. As you say, it'll take a while but I'm all for the journey.

Last edited:
No, there should never be an ending to Gran Turismo. PD has a smart staff and racers, they never run out of ideas/creativity and I'm sure they'll release GT8 at their 30-year mark, they should do something special and enormous for that occasion!! Who agrees?
So creative that they’ve been doing basically the exact same thing for the past 25 years. At this point they are acting like Apple that removes something now to bring it back as a new feature later on.

It’s a good game don’t get me wrong, but GT7 at it’s current state isn’t exactly the best the franchise has even seen. Far from it.

• Messy economy
  • Cars can’t be sold
  • Meager payouts
  • No way to lend cars
  • Cockpit view still limited
  • Penalties are all over the place
  • No newer cars where it matters
  • Fewer tracks than GT6
  • Cumbersome 90’s menus/navigation
  • Pretty laughable “campaign”
  • Night racing limited to a few tracks
  • No real-time weather
  • Temperature is still absent
  • Tire “simulation” still poor for todays standards
  • FFB still subpar
  • No way to edit menu background music
  • Still lacking regarding OSD customization

And so on…

Maybe a year or two from now, who knows. All I know is that they need to sort things out quickly. These 5 years gaps between releases to get what we are getting will become unsustainable soon with games like Assetto Corsa 2, Project Cars 4, etc knocking on PD’s door.

I feel like I'm a very simple person who is happy with just about anything. Besides the economy of this game I am pretty happy with it honestly. Sure I wish there was more to it and more things to do but the core is there. I think if the AFK script did not exist though then I probably would have a different opinion of this game.

Despite the recent controversy, I still have faith in GT7 and the GT series a whole. GT5 and 6 both started off pretty lackluster, but got better as time passed and updates were released. Earning money in those games was very grindy at first, but as time progressed we got more and more (seasonal) events that paid plenty of credits. I'm confident that GT7 will get the same type of improvements and then some.

What I have lost faith in, however, is the gaming industry as a whole. More and more developers are becoming too comfortable with releasing unfinished, buggy games and it's sickening.
I know not every developer follows these practices, but it's still concerning how more and more are catching on and thinking that it's okay to do these things.
I still believe that PD/Kaz never wanted shady microtransactions in there game in the first place, but were pressured by Sony to implement them. It's tough to say without hard evidence, though.
I'm still having fun playing GT7, so I'm very, very curious to see what April holds for this game.
To be fair, games are a lot bigger and more complex than they used to be, so it's not surprising that there are bugs. Not saying I think it's OK, but in the absence of large-scale beta tests like some PC sim racers, some of the bugs don't get identified until the game hits the market where it is subject to tens of millions of hours of play time almost instantly

It doesn't necessarily need to be that overt. Could just be part of Sony's publishing contract that PD must include the components like always-online, MTX and daily-tribute based lootboxes (roulette tickets after mileage threshold) to please shareholders. Doesn't mean an exec is visiting the offices every day looming over employees' computers telling them what to do.
Please cite the overall percentage of Sony first-party studio titles, with a single-player focus, that are using MTXs this heavily?

Oh and once again, from a Sony first-party studio head

Sony charge 70 to avoid MXTs.jpg

Please cite the overall percentage of Sony first-party studio titles, with a single-player focus, that are using MTXs this heavily?

Oh and once again, from a Sony first-party studio head

For as much as people often criticise microtransactions, there’s no denying that the practice has made Sony (and other gaming companies) a great deal of money. That being said, it is worth noting that two of PlayStation’s biggest titles in 2020 – The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima – don’t factor too much into these figures; with revenue only accounting for the first 11 days of TLOU2 sales, and Ghost of Tsushima missing the cutoff period.

Furthermore, with one-fifth of all PlayStation software sales being first-party titles in Q1 2020, it’ll be interesting to see how much these figures are affected during the second Quarter. Regardless, while many people take issue with the practice, DLC and microtransactions make console manufacturers too much money for it to go away any time soon.

• Of the aforementioned $3.755 billion in revenue from digital sources, as much as $2.01 billion came from microtransactions (which include DLCs).
  • Digital game sales brought in $1.58 billion.
  • This is not something new for Sony. Journalist Derek Strickland compiled data from all quarters since the beginning of 2019, and in each of them microtransactions generated more revenue than digital game sales.

Add-on content makes up over half of total game sales revenues on a quarter-by-quarter basis since FY2019. These values don't take into account other segment earnings like network services, hardware, and others--we're just comparing add-on content, digital, and physical software against one another.
It's business. With numbers that good, why would Sony want to pass up the opportunity on any game? Ask Take2 if it was a good business strategy implementing Shark Cards.

I would believe Force Feedback is bugged on GT7, but in relation to car physics, I think GT7 is better, if only for the snap oversteer bug/mistake. GTS is just too dull after GT7, but the FFB is certainly better, even if it's not great either
Well, to me as a consumer it doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether it is a bug or a feature.
As for the physics whatever improvements they made is far outweighed by the issue with grip.
I just can't enjoy the game in its current state, and that's 90% on the physics.

It's business. With numbers that good, why would Sony want to pass up the opportunity on any game? Ask Take2 if it was a good business strategy implementing Shark Cards.
That didn't answer his question. He didn't doubt that they make a lot of money, he asked what percentage of single player Sony games included them, as a response to the idea it's coming from Sony and not PD.

TLOU II - No (They may appear in multiplayer when it arrives)
Ghost Of Tsushima - No
Horizon Forbidden West - No
MLB The Show - Yes
Ratchet & Clank - No
Returnal - No
Death Stranding - No
Destruction All Stars - Yes
Spider-Man Miles Morales - No
Sackboy - No
Demon's Souls - No
Days Gone - No
God Of War - No
Spider-Man - No
Shadow Of The Colossus - No
Horizon Zero Dawn - No

So of all those games in the last five or so years, just two have MTs. It's really not great evidence that Sony are pushing it, is it? It's more evidence that the studios themselves are implementing them.

That didn't answer his question. He didn't doubt that they make a lot of money, he asked what percentage of single player Sony games included them, as a response to the idea it's coming from Sony and not PD.

TLOU II - No (They may appear in multiplayer when it arrives)
Ghost Of Tsushima - No
Horizon Forbidden West - No
MLB The Show - Yes
Ratchet & Clank - No
Returnal - No
Death Stranding - No
Destruction All Stars - Yes
Spider-Man Miles Morales - No
Sackboy - No
Demon's Souls - No
Days Gone - No
God Of War - No
Spider-Man - No
Shadow Of The Colossus - No
Horizon Zero Dawn - No

So of all those games in the last five or so years, just two have MTs. It's really not great evidence that Sony are pushing it, is it? It's more evidence that the studios themselves are implementing them.
Point taken. But with the earnings the way they are, I'd be inclined to think that they would "encourage" studios to implement dlc and mtx.

But it's late. Off to bed.

Point taken. But with the earnings the way they are, I'd be inclined to think that they would "encourage" studios to implement dlc and mtx.

Maybe, but certainly not forced with PD having no choice in the matter as some like to make out. If that were true, all of those games would have MTs. You could easily implement them in all of them, they nearly all have a currency of some form.

Well that didn't answer my question at all.

I know full well the revenue that MTXs bring in, I've posted sources and info on that repeatedly in this thread and others.

However that wasn't the question I asked, you claimed that this was forced by Sony, so I asked you how many first-party Sony titles had MTX's. A question you ignored in favour of a strawman.

Then youd lose that money.

Its all deluded Kaz and his band of PD fools wet dream. GT7 being crap is just their idiotic GTHD ideas come true.

After the negativity in typical Kaz/Pd idioticy they go and nerf the payout even more. Thats not sony bud lol that Kaz/PD being who they been for decades.

All of GT7s issues are the deluded out of touch Kaz ideas bs excuses and justyfications we been seeing for deacdes.

Last edited:

LoL they spent billions on studios, Bungie being one. They have ten live service crap games coming, none running into the ground their established single player heavy games to do it.

Not all people are that "wealthy" to buy that many systems. Xbox interests you more, but Sony's lineup is on the interest of most people looking at the stats.

And yeah, in your case, someone who buys only digital, those subscriptions are really valuable (IMO, for those people, like you, Xbox is a must have since Game Pass is a huge deal).

I however, for example, don't play digital at all. I buy all of my games physical, because I like to own those games and have them in my shelf.
And I also don't play that many games per year. Maybe 5 or 6 NEW generation games and about a couple of others from the past that I have missed out, where I can just go to the used market and buy them discs for ~10-15€ or less sometimes.

So for me, dishing out 200€ per year on a subscription is of no value at all. Because I would rather waste 300€ on the few games I really like and want to play and that I know will be mine forever or until I sell them (something that digital buyers can't do).
There are also games that maybe in 10-15 or more years I want to play again and if nothing unusually happens, I will be able to play them at no cost.

Regardless, there's many players these days who go digital (and it keeps on increasing) so Microsoft is absolutely nailing it with GamePass. But it seems Sony is finally answering with some new subscriptions of their own. Still not as good as GamePass from what I've seen but a lot better than what it is now.

TL: DR

If you only buy physical releases and don't play many games, GamePass AND the new PS Plus subscriptions that are going on the market in the future, are of no value at all.

Yes, I'm started to come to that realisation for the way I like to play (again). I had something like nearly a 10 year hiatus from gaming until end of last summer. I initially bought ps5 (mainly for last of us 2 and a bit of fifa). I then bought a series x for fh5 and believe it or not football manager 22. Bought all tge subs for both consoles and was excited, feeling like a kid on a sweet shop, having access and possibility of enjoying so many games for 'free'. Buy so far have stuck to games I really wanted to play and the random games I thought I try have been OK to not holding my interst at all (this includes several sony Aaa games on ps+). When i look back at my pre sub gaming 'career' I've been very selective I've games I've bought and rarely been disappointed.

Bit like back in early 90s on tge amiga, where we copied loads of games. Usually ended up sticking to select few, after playing loads of random stuff. Like Geoff Cramond gp, sensible soccer, kick off 2, speedball 2 etc

So im considering whether to continue these subs tbh, as cost of ownership does add up, despite only seeming like small cost if you look at it on month by month basis. Its almost like a false value, which appears great on surface, but if you don't particularly like games on offer and only play a few, it's not really worth it.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm a very simple person who is happy with just about anything. Besides the economy of this game I am pretty happy with it honestly. Sure I wish there was more to it and more things to do but the core is there. I think if the AFK script did not exist though then I probably would have a different opinion of this game.

Same here. I agree, expect I'd be a lot more frustrated without the script.

"Here's my question for the GTPlanet community, does GT7 represent the end of the road for you? If not, how badly has your faith been shaken in the franchise and do you trust PD to restore the series to its former glories?"

No, why would be? This is nothing new, I am with GT series from day one and since GT5 with all delays and waiting for patches, upgradea and new content is the same situation all this years.
I am just disappointed how after all this years and same problems with GT5 and 6 and Sport they are not learning anything and they managed to put self in this situation they're in today. FFS, I don't believe that there is no one there to tell Kaz and Sony, look, this **** is not going to work in this genre and with this type of players. This is not some football game or GTA, Gran Turismo players is different kind of animal 🤦🏻‍♂️
You could always switch to PC Sim racing titles.

I lost faith in games in general, especially when it comes to racing games. Gran Turismo 7 is just the latest victim of yet another unfinished, disappointing or utterly horrible game that plagues the industry as a whole.

There are still good games out there but most of them don't interest me at all and i suspect that some of them will suffer a similar fate sooner or later. It happened to the best of the best in the industry (Rockstar Games, Naughty Dog, CDPR..etc), what will stop any AAA studio from making a ******** of a game now?

Other racing games aren't that in a much better spot tbh. Project Cars 3 was a deviation that no Project Cars fans wanted. Dirt 5 and last few Grid games were pretty meh. NFS is never gonna come back to it's golden black box era.
Forza Horizon series seriously need a renovation or a reboot as FH5 got pretty stale rather quickly. The Crew 2 is a Ubisoft game...'nuff said.

I have no expectations for the new Test Drive game. Forza Motorsport 8 might be promising but i won't get my hopes up.

Last edited:
I have been a gran turismo player since day 1 ps1.
I purchased GT7 the day of release, I have only loaded it up 4 times. I am still on GT sport, that's where the online racing is.
GT7 is a shadow of other gt games imo.
Perhaps they released it too early, coz I don't see it getting much better for months.

Erm, anyone knows when "begining of April" starts in Japan?

They usualy announce maintenance and new updates on wednesday and release it on thursday.
So, if they don't release it this week, next week will be far from begining. 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-183020_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220406-183020_Chrome.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 9
I posted somewhere else that what is happening to PD is exactly the same thing that happens to all corporations once they reach a certain size.

The people that cared about the game have been marginalized, the player base has been marginalized, everything has been marginalized in favor of the numbers posted above. Revenue matters more than all other factors combined.

In a smaller company, economy, demographic, or any other situation, voices that care, voices that made something great or valuable or loved, (developers, engineers, concept people, and all of us as customers) those voices have influence and they matter. But eventually if a product or business becomes successful enough, all of that goes away. All of it. PD crossed this line awhile back, as you can tell from product quality. GT1 to GT4 was an amazing ride. GT4-GT5 we crested the hill, and from there on out it is a downhill ride. It isn't going to change. WE no longer matter, we are only numbers and every number rhymes with the word "revenue".
Dev, art, concept, is all ROI based and the believers in the company are being shown the door because they care about the game more than the money.

Don't expect any improvement. The response from Kaz is about as out of touch as you can get. He says he wants us to enjoy the game without grinding so much, and without MTX, but what did he actually do? Cut payouts in half. How does that make sense? It doesn't, Kaz is out of touch and it's not going to change.

I need a car for the last championship. It will be 450,000cr and an enormous amout of upgrades. If everything works out wonderfully, that means 1.5 hours for the car, and double that for the upgrades, just for a maybe that I picked a car that is capable of winning. It is not acceptable. MAYBE if there were numerous other enjoyable and profitable races to spend my time earning credits, but after the 3 rally races, the truck race and goodwood in a supercharged mini, everything else is ~3k cr per minute or so. 1m cr takes too many hours. And like I said, thats just for a maybe I spent 5 hours on a car that will win.

The glacial slow development progress has been an issue with PD since I started following them in the days of GTHD. The crappy AI and moving chicane/chase the rabbit races have been standard GT as well. So I'm not all that surprised with those aspects of the game. However, the microtransactions and economy were a real kick to the teeth. The prices for credits are so outrageously priced, I first thought that the were trying to steer people away from microtransactions. Then I started playing and everything looks geared to promote microtransaction. Pitiful roulette spins, poor payouts for races, invites for expensive cars that you can't afford, limited time legends car lot etc. Then to top it all off they go and reduce the payouts for races? It was one thing when I thought that PD was kind of incompetent at some things but brilliant at others, adding incredibly greedy puts them in a whole new light for me that will be hard to overcome.

Back