Your faith in Gran Turismo - has it been permanently damaged?

• Thread starter Razamataz
  • 395 comments
Probably was covered in other posts, but guys whats the FFB setting you use for GT7? I have T-GT2 and run 7/7 as default 4/4 was to weak to my liking.

First time poster, short time luker here.

I think GT7 has a brutal, long road ahead of it. I've seen GT games launch in poor states, launch as "bad" games even. The thing that sucks the hardest is that GT7 isn't. It's a great game that's been actively sabotaged. It's amusing, however, that none of the sabotaged elements affect me directly, so I'm able to really look at this from a safer distance than many of those who are both violently outraged and grovelingly defensive.

I'm not convinced by this Microtransaction narrative I see being pushed. When the microtransactions were introduced, I kind of saw them coming. If GT6 and GTSport had them, there was no way in hell 7 wouldn't. They were really expensive with a really poor rate of in-game credits for your buck. Sucks. Predatory? Absolutely, but only in the same way that micros are predatory as a baseline. A ton of hyperfocus was put on the "top up" prompt that appears on the purchase confirmation window in game. Not to give Sony any ideas, but this prompt is remarkably easy to ignore. It's easier to ignore it here than it was on Sport, where upon buying a car, you had the option to purchase it using credits or real money presented side-by-side with the same amount of screen real-estate taken up. Sure, the pricing was FAR more reasonable, but if we're talking about really pushing mtx, Sport was on it much harder.

Of course, that's not to say that reducing race payouts isn't a terrible look - it's by far the most anti-player thing they've done, possibly in the whole franchise. But when it happened, I wasn't going "They're trying to make us pay for microtransactions!". I thought to myself "This seems like it's setting up for Seasonal Events or some high-paying alternative. Why would they nerf payouts before offering these alternatives?" Maybe I'm just not so jaded or cynical, but all of these decisions don't read as "greedy", but as something far simpler: "stupid". Near-sighted, tunnel-visioned decisions that ultimately give me a sense of a lack of critical thinking or understanding of the player-base rather than outright spite and avarice.

Again, this is from the perspective of some guy who's entire gameplay loop for the past month has been buying cheap cars, tuning them, and coming up with cool designs before sending them on the Nordschleife for my two-lap driving marathon after work. If I were more involved or invested in the expensive legendary cars, I'd probably be a bit more upset.

tl;dr - No, because it feels like these missteps, as MASSIVE as they are, are a product of incompetence rather than greed. GT7 has passion project written all over it. They just pulled the trigger on certain things while their guns were stuck in the holster.

Welcome on board.The only problem with seasonals is they are only available to those that sub to psn.Thats not a negative on paying for psn nor,as somebody on here told me,is it censoring anybodys experience,im sure I'm not the only player who doesn't sub to the psn side of Sony.
They need to add better payouts to the single player mode,which going by kaz letter,that is coming soon.All we can do I wait and hope he delivers.

Welcome on board.The only problem with seasonals is they are only available to those that sub to psn.Thats not a negative on paying for psn nor,as somebody on here told me,is it censoring anybodys experience,im sure I'm not the only player who doesn't sub to the psn side of Sony.
They need to add better payouts to the single player mode,which going by kaz letter,that is coming soon.All we can do I wait and hope he delivers.
I don't think that's correct as it's part of the single player content. Things like the livery editor are available without it, and Time Trials in GT Sport didn't need it so I don't see why it will be required for Seasonals. We've only ever needed the PS+ subscription for multi-player (lobbies and Sport Mode).

Erm, anyone knows when "begining of April" starts in Japan?

They usualy announce maintenance and new updates on wednesday and release it on thursday.
So, if they don't release it this week, next week will be far from begining. 🤔
Lol, right. Based on that statement it should have come out last Thur/Fri, but it's PD the slowest devs in the business. I assume it will drop tomorrow or Friday, but would not be surprised if they just wait until the end of the month and release everything they outlined for April all at once.

I'd almost be okay with that so that I can keep "rubber-banding" Pan-Am and snagging all the LCD cars I want to purchase so I never have to worry about that awful dealership again

I don't think that's correct as it's part of the single player content. Things like the livery editor are available without it, and Time Trials in GT Sport didn't need it so I don't see why it will be required for Seasonals. We've only ever needed the PS+ subscription for multi-player (lobbies and Sport Mode).
Ok I see.I assumed as they were an online event like daily races you would need a sub hopefully not then.My own reasons for not subbing to psn are having no interest in playing online,i realise that's my choice,and game time.Sometimes I can only play for a few hrs a week so a waste of money for me.

YES!! The positives are improved physics, weather and night races.
But the lack of imagination in the races is astonishing! Same old catch the lead car with the huge headstart while avoiding 15 blocker cars.
Daily Races are mind numbing! Always gr3 and group 4 for the good races.
When are we supposed to use all the road cars we've collected and tuned??!!
The multiplayer lobby menus are designed by a 5 year old in 1997 which makes it incredibly difficult to find something you want to join.

It's all so frustrating and tedious.
What a wasted opportunity.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim? I know people are exploiting the PP system with tuning but that's not hacking.
People were able to equip nitrous. Not sure if hack or exploit but complete garbage from GT. The game is buggy and unfinished which allows hackers and exploits to ruin a game we have been waiting 8 years for. They need to hire some independent testers and most this stuff would have been solved. It appears that Kaz has a team of yes men helping him.

People were able to equip nitrous. Not sure if hack or exploit but complete garbage from GT. The game is buggy and unfinished which allows hackers and exploits to ruin a game we have been waiting 8 years for. They need to hire some independent testers and most this stuff would have been solved. It appears that Kaz has a team of yes men helping him.
I agree the game is buggy and it's allowing exploits to slip into the multi-player competitive parts of the game, but that's still not hacking which is what I asked for the evidence of as per your claim, the claim you've now doubled down on.

It wasn't all the controversy over gt7 which I lost faith in, I lost faith as it has a difficulty slider which does absolutely nothing.
I had mine on beginner and it was still rediculously difficult, the S-Licence lol crazy hard far to hard.
Some of the races when we get in fast cars pp700 and above the AI just smash you off the track at every corner.
The rain wet races are pointless you either slide off get knocked off or crawl around at 20mph which is boring and then you get overtaken by cars which do 50mph in a bend where you slide off doing 20mph!
Some of the track challenges when we go to a track and do the challenges to get us use to that track are annoying why put a gold time there which is nigh impossible for the normal person?

I wanted GT7 to be as hard as it is for some players who like it that way but I really wanted the difficulty slider to do what it is there for.
Seeing as it does nothing there is no point me playing it, also I cannot see GT having an update which allows the Beginner mode to be exactly that beginner mode a lot easier than it is and I can't see PD making GT8 any easier so I have lost faith in the game because of that.
Shame as it looks so good and the game play on the easier races at the start is very good.
I would like the S-class licence be on a difficulty level of the IB-Licence that is hard enough for me. Difficulty slider which works could do this if it worked.
I cannot see what the difficulty slider does at all I tried it on 2 different stages and no difference at all.
Sorry PD but it is to hard and doesn't do what it says on the tin and that has made me lose faith.

Th
They lost my trust and respect with GT5, it was meant to be a launch title for PS3, Sony was marketing it like that. And every 6 months they kept saying in 6 months, in 6 months. It was delivered exactly 4 years after the PS3 dropped. And to make it worse it wasn't very good either.

These guys pretty much have carte blanche to do wtf they want with as much money as it takes and this is the rubbish they produce. Imagine if Kunos had the resources PD do, we would have a new game every year that is better in every way possible.

Instead Kaz spends his time taking the team to go Lazer scan the brake lights on the AE86 but then doesn't laser scan tracks, instead Kaz gets orchestra composed music, but then doesn't employ a competent audio guy on the engine sounds. He is just lost at this point, I think he doesn't really give a **** anymore and just loves the dollars and parading around like a car culture god at pebble beach.

The sad thing is the next GT game will be equally rubbish but it will still sell tens of millions of units. Meanwhile actual modern racing Sims like ACC sell a few thousand units.
For some reason everyone just goes out and buys GT even if it reviews poorly or average
This. This right here is what the die hard gt players have been witness to and saying for years. And it's why between gt6 and sport, that of has only sold 11 million copies. That's the norm for any title on its own before it. So yea, to hell with of for me. Legit 9 years of development for a ps4 game and all we get for $70 is this **** and sport? Sitting around waiting for years until they add enough content to make the game fun? Sorry, but the last two iterations and I'm being generous in saying that, just don't grab you the way the first 4 did. This one starts too and then you realize you just payed $70 for a fraction of a game we were promised.

This thread is, quite something. I guess it would have been nice to have "yes or no question" to the title. Oh well.

No. My faith in Gran Turismo has NOT been permanently damaged.

GT has always been a quirky Japanese game and I'm ok with that. Clearly they made some bad design choices and it was lacking content but I was cool with them releasing it now so at least we had something to play while they continued working on it. But after the 1.7 "patch", insane online requirement, and tone deaf response I lost a lot of faith in PD. They crossed the line from being inept to being scumbags. I won't forget that.

I review bombed them on metacritic and wrote down my reasons. I was glad when they responded with a plan to make things better and updated my review to a 7. But here we are weeks later with no update, the same issues, waiting for some patch that shouldn't take this long. They could have easily adjusted the prizes and changed the micro transaction rates by now. The lack of action says a lot. I changed my score back to 0 and won't be updating it until they fix this mess. Which at this rate will probably be a year from now.

Honestly, this game is solid. There are things to tweak for sure. But GT6 was ****. Sport was good but this game is good with the ability to be great. Sure I have complaints but they are minimal and many will be addressed. You wanna see a half baked game. Go play NASCAR Ignition. 6 months later and it’s still ****.

I think a lot of players are confusing the game being bad because the cars are harder to drive then Sport. It’s not an easy game to master. Neither are race cars.

Last edited:
Honestly, this game is solid. There are things to tweak for sure. But GT6 was *. Sport was good but this game is good with the ability to be great. Sure I have complaints but they are minimal and many will be addressed. You wanna see a half baked game. Go play NASCAR Ignition. 6 months later and it’s still *.

I think a lot of players are confusing the game being bad because the cars are harder to drive then Sport. It’s not an easy game to master. Neither are race cars.
Nascar Ignition is also a yearly title that didn’t have years of development, budget, or talent like PD. I got all gold in everything in GT7 with 25.5 hours of drive time. It is a half baked game.

I think the game is bad or disappointing just because the economy is **** and there’s almost no solo content present.

Last edited:
This thread is, quite something. I guess it would have been nice to have "yes or no question" to the title. Oh well.

No. My faith in Gran Turismo has NOT been permanently damaged.
Why? So that you don't have to read other people talking specifics about why their faith on GT has been damaged?

It's obviously a yes or no question, but it's also obviously a question that has a lot behind it.
Erm, anyone knows when "begining of April" starts in Japan?
The Japanese style is to split the month into thirds, beginning, middle and end. "Beginning of April" in a Japanese sense would be the first ten days of the month.
Honestly, this game is solid. There are things to tweak for sure. But GT6 was *. Sport was good but this game is good with the ability to be great. Sure I have complaints but they are minimal and many will be addressed. You wanna see a half baked game. Go play NASCAR Ignition. 6 months later and it’s still *.
Rofl. GT7 isn't bad because abortions like NASCAR Ignition exist, a game that somehow managed to get to Mostly Negative on Steam. If you have to reach that low for something to make GT7 look good, it might not be as strong an argument as you think.

It wasn't all the controversy over gt7 which I lost faith in, I lost faith as it has a difficulty slider which does absolutely nothing.
I had mine on beginner and it was still rediculously difficult, the S-Licence lol crazy hard far to hard.
Some of the races when we get in fast cars pp700 and above the AI just smash you off the track at every corner.
The rain wet races are pointless you either slide off get knocked off or crawl around at 20mph which is boring and then you get overtaken by cars which do 50mph in a bend where you slide off doing 20mph!
Some of the track challenges when we go to a track and do the challenges to get us use to that track are annoying why put a gold time there which is nigh impossible for the normal person?

I wanted GT7 to be as hard as it is for some players who like it that way but I really wanted the difficulty slider to do what it is there for.
Seeing as it does nothing there is no point me playing it, also I cannot see GT having an update which allows the Beginner mode to be exactly that beginner mode a lot easier than it is and I can't see PD making GT8 any easier so I have lost faith in the game because of that.
Shame as it looks so good and the game play on the easier races at the start is very good.
I would like the S-class licence be on a difficulty level of the IB-Licence that is hard enough for me. Difficulty slider which works could do this if it worked.
I cannot see what the difficulty slider does at all I tried it on 2 different stages and no difference at all.
Sorry PD but it is to hard and doesn't do what it says on the tin and that has made me lose faith.
Have you tried putting all the assists on, at maximum where applicable? For the wet races you'll probably need to make sure you have intermediates or wet tyres fitted.

No, not really. I already know I don't have to read everything people have to say. I was just really surprised by it. Now, I'm not so surprised.

It's... it's been two weeks.
I agree, I'm not expecting them to fix everything right away. But actions speak louder than words and they haven't fixed anything in 2 weeks after being review-bombed to a 1.5. They were quick to drop a nerf patch but not quick to fix anything. That speaks volumes.

Increasing the earnings will help shorten the grind, but where are all the races that should have been there at launch? Cafe being the career mode is a joke. What about the dozens of UI/QOL improvements that should have been ironed out years ago? They will slowly add them in over the next few years but there's no way the April patch is going to turn this around. The game has the potential to be 10/10 amazing which makes it so much more frustrating,

They were quick to drop a nerf patch but not quick to fix anything.
To be fair, when they dropped that patch, the game went down for thirty hours (which is another issue - good grief is the always online nonsense an absolute net negative).
I don't blame them for taking a bit of extra time to make sure it doesn't do that, especially when the good will of the audience is riding on these next few updates.

I agree, I'm not expecting them to fix everything right away. But actions speak louder than words and they haven't fixed anything in 2 weeks after being review-bombed to a 1.5. They were quick to drop a nerf patch but not quick to fix anything. That speaks volumes.

Increasing the earnings will help shorten the grind, but where are all the races that should have been there at launch? Cafe being the career mode is a joke. What about the dozens of UI/QOL improvements that should have been ironed out years ago? They will slowly add them in over the next few years but there's no way the April patch is going to turn this around. The game has the potential to be 10/10 amazing which makes it so much more frustrating,
That is indeed the most frustrating part. It goes from being absolutely sublime 11/10 material to getting frustrated with the UI, botched sport mode, horrible in game economy, lack of content and lots of baffling design decisions.

I posted some of my frustrations with the game in the QoL improvements thread. These should all have been there from the beginning.

For custom races:

Let me save custom race settings.
Don't reset all the custom race settings when I notice I missed something and have to go back to fix it.
Remember my sorting option when selecting garage cars, you have to reset the sort for every car when creating a grid.
Let me save the grid I created to use another time or in a different race.
Let me check and change the car settings when setting up a grid, I don't know which ones were gimped to use in tournaments. (Does the AI use BoP like you're forced to use, or do they use the current car settings?)
Let me save a custom race to continue later.
Let me pause in the pit, you can pause mid race, but not while pitting?
Let me change the sound settings while racing.
Let me change the music selection while racing (Are there only 5 tracks playing while racing?)
Let me see what time it is in game during the race, why no clock? How long till sunrise etc.
Let me see a weather report before the race starts, custom weather is still very random. Anything but R07 and R08 have a chance of no rain at all, very little or a lot. Even the torrential downpour settings can just have a sliver of dark blue.
Let me zoom out the weather radar further or don't accelerate the clouds based on race length. In a 3H race the clouds move at about 900 kph (560 mph), in a 2H race they move at over 1,300 kph!
Give me more than 9 options for weather on longer races and mark it with times. When is sunrise and sunset?
Let me change oil in the pit, oil doesn't last for an 8H race. For $400 dollars it should at least last a day.
Let me step through replays at more then 10 seconds per click, that's 2,880 clicks to to the end of an 8H race replay.

Honestly, it feels like the game wasn't play tested at all. So many instantly obvious things are missing. Can't buy tires in the race menu, can't see your oil status in sport mode and so many other things missing in sport mode and lobbies. How are so many things that worked in GT Sport missing, yet all the bugs from GT Sport have been carried over...

@CaptainClod The did a patch later (1.09) that added the 1 million 'apology' ticket. They could have adjusted or restored the payouts in that patch but chose not to.

NO CROSSPLAY. don't understand why people aren't complaining about this! They lied to us pre-release and haven't addressed this since release. We're just completely in the dark and relying on YouTubers to give us info. I'm a A+ driver who can no longer complete in top lobbies as I have a PS4 Pro.

PD dumped the GTS community ( dalies haven't been updated for weeks) 1 week after GT7's release, and then makes it even worse by fragmenting Sport Mode on GT7.

I bought a DD Pro but now I can't even race my mates or compete in top lobbies.

My faith in this series has been forever damaged. I've been unable to play the game since the 1.09 update was released. My cars are in my garage, according to my profile my collector level should be 29... but it's shown as level 1 on the map. I have no tracks to select at all to race on.

The stats on my profile are a little off as well... states that I have only earned $100K in game, except in another section it states that I've spent $2.9M on cars etc... I've tried contacting @gt7_online_jp on twitter, I've DM'd @thegranturismo, and I've heard nothing back.

I escalated the problem to my local Playstation support, and they are allegedly "investigating" but I doubt they'll be able to do anything to help me. Unfortunately for me, there is no way for me to return the game to the place I purchased it because it's been more than 14 days since I bought the game, so I'll be forced to raise the issue with a consumer protection agency here in Australia to get somewhere...

I shouldn't have to go this far to get an issue resolved that I know plenty of people experienced with this game at some point after the 1.08 update. I'll be thinking twice before I buy another game from PD.

Back