Your favorite starter car

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 2' started by gt3kid89, Jul 29, 2014.

?

Best GT2 starter car

1. 1993 Toyota Supra Turbo

24.6%
  2. 1993 Honda Civic 3-Door Si

6.6%
  3. 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC

6.6%
  4. Mazda Miata (1989-1993)

4.9%
  5. Mazda RX-7 Infini III

13.1%
  6. Infiniti G20/Nissan Primera

4.9%
  7. Nissan Pulsar GTi-R

16.4%
  8. Nissan Silvia K's 1800/2000

11.5%
  9. Nissan Skyline GTS-t

9.8%
  10. Toyota Celica GT-Four RC

8.2%
  11. Toyota Levin/Trueno GT Apex

8.2%
  12. 1992 Mazda Protege GT-X

1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gt3kid89

gt3kid89

I created this poll to see which is the most popular starter car in GT2 (i will do the same poll in GT1 and GT3). Vote and comment about your favorite car and share your stories!:D

crue426 likes this.
  2. jeffgoddin

jeffgoddin Premium

Well, here's another thread which discusses this from a few points of view...

I generally pick a starter car for one of two reasons, either 1) get me money quick so I can get into high-power racing right away, or 2) try and win as many events as I can with my starter car.

For 1), I pick the Silvia K's 1800 every time. Slap on a turbo and flywheel and go the the 80's events and race at Tahiti to win the R30 Sihouette Skyline on day 1. Take that to GT-All Stars Red Rock on day 2 and win the Speed 12. Repeat that a few times and you've got 2,000,000 Credits, good for anything you want to do.

For 2), it's a little more interesting. You can take your pick a lot of cars, since many of them have about the same ultimate potential. The Mazda Protege 323 Sedan is actually the most versatile car in the game, capable of winning the GT300 and Turbo-1, but also eligible to race in the 147hp limit events. '84 Skyline RS-X 2000 is another great starter car for this, won't do the 147hp events but will do the 197hp ones. And yes, the Infini III will reach the same potential, but won't even be eligible for the under 197hp events.

3. gt3kid89

gt3kid89

In my first ever playtrough, i used a 1993 Civic Sedan, but i sold it and bought a RX7 Infini III. In my actual save game, i used the Supra Turbo

4. loulou221

loulou221

Currently I'm trying to redo the games with only Simulation tires on road tracks. I've chosen to start with the 1990 RX-7 Infini III, so I'll see if it was a good choice !

5. Dark Motor

Dark Motor

'82 or '87 Toyota Starlet

Racedriver117 likes this.
  6. gt3kid89

gt3kid89

That Jetliner Silver Starlet:D:D:D

7. lbpomg95

lbpomg95

I had an '80s Supra.

8. jeffgoddin

jeffgoddin Premium

I think this poll points to one of the reasons why GT2 is so great... everybody pretty much has a different favorite, because there really are so many ways to enjoy this game!

9. jeffgoddin

jeffgoddin Premium

not possible...

on a side note, just did some research on PAL vs NTSC day 1 cars, as part of the the new GT2 race series getting started which I'd invite you all to come join!

And with 10k Cr to spend on day one, the best candidates appear to be:

Supra Twinturbo-R '91 with the 1st flywheel added, but only PAL, and only if you can handle the beast!
    Supra '93 with turbo-1 and either stage 1 weight reduction or the race flywheel (not sure which is faster...) but only NTSC, PAL is too expensive on day 1, and again, very tail happy
    Silvia K's 1800cc '88, but only PAL, my personal favorite for ease of handling and 4th best weight-to-power and great engine
    Pulsar Gti-R with stage 1 weight reduction and the semi-race flywheel, but only NTSC, and although better weight-to-power than the K's 1800cc, 4WD is always slower, and engine not as good
    Micra Super Turbo '89 with mods, but rubbish engine, isn't too bad, but only PAL
    Celica GT-Four RC '91 might be decent, but only NTSC
    Skyline GTS-t Type M '91 pretty good
    Prelude VTEC '94 aka 2.2VTEC '91 best FF that's not a quirky '80's box with a rubbish engine, so if you're a noob, this is your car
    RX-7 GT-X '90 pretty good with some mods, but only PAL
    Silvia K's 2000cc '91 not as good as the 1800cc but better potential if you want to keep it
    RX-7 Infini III '90 better potential but not quite as good as GT-X '90 starting, and worse if NTSC since you have no money left (PAL leaves you 1000Cr...)
    MR-2 1600G Limited, but don't bother NTSC only PAL leaves you enough money to get the turbo
    Cyborg R '92 not bad
    Levin BZG not bad but only PAL

and so a lot of the choices in the poll really don't make the top 14 except as a personal preference option...

but my main point is, wow! how different the choices are between NTSC and PAL??? why'd they make them different at all, can't see a reason. NTSC, no Supra Twinturbo-R, Silvia K's 1800cc, Micra Super Turbo, RX-7 GT-X '90, and realistically not MR-2 1600G Limited or Infini III. PAL, no Supra '93 (reaistically), Pulsar Gti-R, or Celica GT-Four RC...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    The87Dodge and Umpituli like this.
  10. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom

I like going with the red Supra, because it's only 4225 credits, and I can win the Trial Mountain endurance right away.

11. lbpomg95

lbpomg95

My apologies, it would've been an early '90s Supra then. Same model as the '80s anyway

12. RagingDaemon

RagingDaemon

My first car on GT1 was the Supra MA70 or whatever, so I had to choose the same for GT2. Classic!

13. Azure Flare

Azure Flare (Banned)

For GT1 and GT2, I've always either went for the MK.III Supra or FC RX7.

I would flip a coin to choose which one to go with.

14. Not_A_Guest

Not_A_Guest

Now you guys make me want to boot up GT2 again...

My starter car was the Silvia K 1800. Really nice.

15. Cowboy

Cowboy Premium

My first was the Celica RC. Fun car on the road and dirt.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Dspecht97 likes this.
  16. oversteerisnt

oversteerisnt

Silvia K's 2000cc SR20......K for King!

jeffgoddin likes this.
  17. TheSkyliner

TheSkyliner

GT1 and GT2's 93 Supra Turbo will always be the best starter car. GT3 made the mistake of getting rid of used cars, so GT3's best would probably be the Miata.

18. Thomas__633

Thomas__633 (Banned)

I was silly enough to pick a Mazda Autozam :)

19. Shiftlockin

Shiftlockin

Crystal White RX-7 Infini III! Go Red Suns!

jeffgoddin likes this.
  20. jeffgoddin

jeffgoddin Premium

Ah yes, the White Comet! Just how much of GT2 was influenced by Intial D?? My biggest gripe, we didn't get proper Touges, which would have been easy...

Shiftlockin likes this.
  21. Shiftlockin

Shiftlockin

Yes! Is it just me or does GT2 have a real Initial D feel to it? Much more than the others. I love this about it. I dont know if its the arcade-ey graphics or the physics or what. Most of the Initial D cars can be found in the used car lots too, in legitimate colors! Last night I collected 20 of these while cycling the used car lots, such as:

White RX7 FC, White Trueno, Yellow RX7, Red NSX, Blue MR2, White Evo IV + Black Evo III, White Supra RZ, Black + Gun Gray R32 Vspec II, White Levin, Buntas Gray Impreza Type R, Red 200sx Aero, Green 2 Tone S13, White R33, Blue S15. Blue Mako Sileighty with drift wing.

Let me know if you have found any more of them, I only know those ones. The colors can be different between Initial D Anime/Arcade.

And where the hell is Mt. Akina downhill track PD come on!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Dspecht97 and jeffgoddin like this.
  22. Snake1405

Snake1405

Pulsar :bowdown:

4WD, 225 HP :D

23. JR98

JR98 Premium

GT1 - RX-7 FC
    GT2 - Supra MK III Turbo
    GT3 - Mazda MX-5 NA
    GT4 - Evo II
    GT5P - Integra Type R DC5
    GT5 - Civic Type R EK

24. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Is it possible to start off with a Pulsar? I thought they were 10,000+. Anyway, I'd typically go for the Supra if I wanted to steamroll the game and either a Prelude or CR-X if I wanted to play the long game.

25. GTvsForza

GTvsForza Premium

I got an MR2.

26. Castrol96

Castrol96

Supra Turbo, because of having 236bhp; If I remember correctly.

27. Nexus

Nexus

I picked the Mitsubishi Mirage Asti RX.

Castrol96 likes this.
  28. lxmmy

lxmmy

Always picked the Civic. Light and a fair amount of power.

Castrol96 and JockeP22 like this.
  29. TumeK5

TumeK5

Spoon S2000! :D

30. Castrol96

Castrol96

I once started with a Toyota Starlet Galanza. If that was the name.

Maybe slow but got me far from doing lightweight races.