Your first and last WOW gaming moments

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 22 comments
Greece
Salonica
Which was your first WOW gaming moment and which your last?

My first was watching Super Mario 64 at a mall in the mid 90s, and the last was fighting Cronos in God of War 3.

My first was seeing the upgraded graphics on PS2 with the rays of light coming through the trees on Trial Mountain in the GT3 demo in 2001, my last was finding out who & what Aiden was in Beyond Two Souls in 2016.

My first was probably in the late 80's, where moving from the schools BBC Micro's to a Spectrum 48k, to a Spectrum 128k, to a Commodore 64 and then Amiga 500, all bought with them an excited, innocent, wonderment - before the dark times - before all the people became experts and learned how to be offended by polygons, physics and frame rates.

My most recent was probably RDR2, though I suspect that was just an echo of the appreciation of how incredible open world games have become.

There's been a few wow moments in between too.

My first wow moment was playing the Playstation for the first time, specifically Crash Bandicoot 1 and Gran Turismo 1, the graphics blew me away. My first console was my dad’s hand-me-down Intellivision, so the Playstation was a massive step up.

My last wow moment was playing Uncharted 4, the entire game. Haven’t played a game since then which was as good as that overall.

Guess my first and last wow moments were thanks to Naughty Dog :cool:

My first wow moment was witnessing games running on the Commodore Amiga. Coming from the Spectrum it was truly was amazing. I've never forgotten my first 'girlfriend'.

Last wow moment was watching the demo play of Soul Caliber on the Dreamcast. I used to load it just to watch it.

Last edited:
My first wow experience was probably seeing the 3D graphics on the N64. They were a massive upgrade compared to the 2D games of previous generations. It's rather weird looking back at those games now since graphics have advanced an insane amount in a rather short time.

My last one was probably playing FS17 for the first time and realizing I had somehow played it for about 6 straight hours. :lol:

Earliest: Seeing and playing Super Mario 64 for the first time. Probably my biggest wow moment ever

Inbetween:
- Watching the Tekken 2 FMVs
- Walking around the world map for the first time in Final Fantasy VII
- The first Metal Gear Solid 2 trailer
- Playing MAG online with 256 players for the first time

Most Recent: Fighting Leviathan in Final Fantasy XV

Earliest for me would be the home version of Pong in the late 1970s - as a kid at the time it was hard to understand how it was possible!

Most recent is in the last couple of days playing Lone Echo in the Rift - an astounding experience, the best VR gameplay I've seen yet, coupled to a great story and a stunning setting (near the rings of Saturn) is making for a genuinely mind blowing game.

Things have moved on a fair bit in 40-odd years....

First was when I was like 9 years old and went into a bar with my friend that had to talk to his father about something.

In the bar there was a Space invaders arcade machine. My friends father gave us some money and we had a blast playing on it.

I was like wow this thing is so cool. I had never in my live seen anything like it. Kinda been loving all sorts of video games since then :-)

I've played GTA SA for PS2 for the 1st time maybe when I was around 8 years old and I could say that the feeling was similar to that one then. And the last time which I actually felt that was when I tried GTA V for PS3 the 1st time. I was so impressed with the things you could do in the game but what most mattered to me there was that cars were far more massive when it came to roster and customizations.

My first wow must be from Rescue On Fractalus on my Atari 800XL. It was jaw dropping for its time.

Games then got progressively better and the next time I recall going, "Wooah" was when the T-rex appeared in the first Tomb Raider.

It took me an awful lot longer to kill than in that video. I had enough trouble with the 2 velociraptors that appear just before.

First would be the opening level of metal gear solid 1 on the ps1. Games were good on the mega drive, nes and c64 etc but this was a whole new level. 3D graphics, movie like production values and top notch gameplay.

Last - well I'll tell you on Christmas. Got myself one of those retro pie consoles. So looking forward to going back to when games were all about the gameplay.

They might be simpler games back then but for some reason I spend more time on them and have more fun.

I guess my first wow moment came courtesy of a certain high speed spiny mammal's second outing on the Mega Drive. The first game was a joy to play, but the sequel took that experience to another level, leaving a long lasting impression.

The most recent took form in witnessing the vast, primal yet downright gorgeous world of Horizon Zero Dawn. Wherever you looked, no matter the weather, however you interacted with it, every element of said world felt alive and bristling with character, from the landscape to the machines, to the NPC's and even Aloy's fiery red hair.

First: Watching a replay of myself in Top Gear Rally on N64, replays were a new thing back then so it was really cool to see.

Last: Seeing the attention to detail in RDR2. It makes other games like Fallout 76 look like a bad joke.

First? GT2 and the amount of things to do.

Last? Actually yesterday in Crusader Kings II's A Game of Thrones mod. Had a difficult choice: execute my brother and be known as a kinslayer or release him and let a deserter of the Night's Watch free.

First WOW was hearing a real song from a floppy disk (War, never been so much fun) Cannon Fodder, Amiga 500.

My last WOW was more of a (WOW, that was ****ing hard) & it was finally completing the Atlantic Accelerator mission on Syndicate, Amiga 1200.

My first 'Wow' moment was when I first saw the 'Before the race between you and Razor' cutscene in NFS Most Wanted,

My last Wow moment was looking at the close-up shots of car models in GTS made by emula. :)

My personal last Wow in a game was first encountering with one of the mutants in the game called 'The Forest'.

First WOW was hearing a real song from a floppy disk (War, never been so much fun) Cannon Fodder, Amiga 500.

My last WOW was more of a (WOW, that was ****ing hard) & it was finally completing the Atlantic Accelerator mission on Syndicate, Amiga 1200.

That song still brings a smile to my face! Also my first Wow on my cousin's Amiga 2000.

"Go up to your brother
Kill him with your gun
Leave him lying in his uniform
Dying in the sun"

The Amiga 500 was the first "real" computer we ever owned. Great computer with great games. On the other side of the spectrum: The Amiga had the absolute worst port of Street fighter 2 ever!

The Amiga had the absolute worst port of Street fighter 2 ever!

I don't know, the sound on the Megadrive/Genesis version of Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition was appalling.

Had this strange gritty, grainy sound to their voices like all the characters smoked 80 cigarettes a day :lol:

Yeh ok, the Amiga version was worse, I'd forgotten how bad it was :lol:

Last edited:
Back