Votes: 197 19.1%
  • Cable modem

Votes: 419 40.6%
  • DSL

Votes: 346 33.6%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

Votes: 69 6.7%

• Total voters
A ping is primarily a diagnostic tool. A host (computer) on a network sends a small packet of data to another host on the network. The second host replies to the first host. The time it takes from sending the packet to receiving the response is recorded.

Alternatively you could check here.

4851396423.png

Well, then.

A ping is primarily a diagnostic tool. A host (computer) on a network sends a small packet of data to another host on the network. The second host replies to the first host. The time it takes from sending the packet to receiving the response is recorded.

Alternatively you could check here.
That makes sense. Thanks, saw it on my friend's computer and was just curious.

I pay $70/mo for this crap and there's no way around it. That's what happens when your apartment complex has an exclusivity contract through a single company. Needless to say I can't wait to get out of here.

Holy 🤬 !!

Anyways, I just switched to Sky for FTTC fibre broadband and I'm pretty pleased with it:

4860171258.png

Once I switch out my master socket face plate I should get 40Mb/s and 10Mb/s solid; my download speed fluctuates between 37 and 35 currently but my upload is constantly around 9.5

Just got a "free"* upgrade from Virgin Media today, download is great but I really hope the next increase is on upload. Trying to back up to the cloud is still a pain at 5Mbps. Used to be a 10:1 ratio which isn't great, now it's 15:1.

4865829715.png

*Bills go up next year

New cable or something run in town @TB?
I ditched CenturyLink after 16 years (and 3 house moves) because we were told that internet speeds would be going up in November. Of 2013. As you can see from my speed test, that didn't happen.

My other options were CableOne, which I had no interest in switching to, satellite based internet which is absurdly expensive, slow and has minuscule data caps or stick with CenturyLink, which was the easy choice, until Midcontinent showed up. They've been in the surrounding cities but not Fargo until this year so knowing they were coming, I held off.

Fast forward to today and I couldn't get a hold of CenturyLink fast enough to cancel. Bonus - even with going from 1.5/.75 to 60/6, my bill is dropping $15/month. :D

Sorry for the novel. :P

I will finally have Fibre in the New year, having equipment installed on the 4th of January. Booked me a 100/40 plan. Really can't wait :-)

The WiFi here suddenly took a dump last night and it's been like this the whole day. Although a wired connection is fine, the WiFi refuses to work. We're paying for 50 mb but clearly Time Warner doesn't deserve 🤬. I've been wasting my mobile data all day on my phone.

Screenshot_2015-12-25-01-30-30.png

I just got switched on to my new fibre BB only service today, the up speed is a bit meh! (my mobile up speed was x10 faster) but I think I can live with this for now....

4973510110.png

It's only the basic package from Hyperoptic so I can upgrade if and when the ££ permits it.

So this is what TWC's "high speed" internet is giving me this:

Screenshot_2016-01-16-12-36-54-1.png

Good thing I'm switching to a different provider soon. Anything would be better than this :grumpy:

(Also this is the highest it's been in months)

Wait what's wrong?
It's supposed to be around a consistent 30 or 40 mbps, but it's been in the one digits for a while, and the worst it's gotten is 500 kbps, which is actually near around where it usually is all the time now. I guess 9 mbps is good for what's been in the past, but still...

It's supposed to be around a consistent 30 or 40 mbps, but it's been in the one digits for a while, and the worst it's gotten is 500 kbps, which is actually near around where it usually is all the time now. I guess 9 mbps is good for what's been in the past, but still...
Oh so you're promised 30ish but your getting way less. Dat consistency.

$40 For just 6 Mb/s? and 1.5 mb/s? Sorry but barely reaching that figure (this was probably the highest time i ever experience here) and friends & family having faster connections than us... I guess i better change my internet provider 👎

5015940562.png

Now on the AT&T Uverse. The plan we have (as of right now) is supposed to provide around 20-40 mbps. I'm pretty satisfied :D

Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-05-32-1.png

Back