Votes: 197 19.1%
  • Cable modem

Votes: 419 40.6%
  • DSL

Votes: 346 33.6%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

Votes: 69 6.7%

• Total voters
Had a weird adjustment made by Virgin Media yesterday. They increased the download by 30Mb/s, but chopped 1Mb/s from the upload.

4180403957.png

5071777343.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5089377674

Caaan youuu diiig iiit?

This is what you get for constantly complaining about your Internet connection to your landlord who also uses said connection. It used to be 60Mbit with a crappy old 1st gen Virgin Superhub, now it's apparently even more than the 200Mbit they said it would be with the Superhub 3 (although the only big difference between that and the 2 is that it supports 802.11ac, so it's really more like a 2.5)

Now with a Cat6 cable between my PC and gigabit router and 802.11ac between the router and my laptop, I can actually use streaming tech! I used to get a 30ms ping at best (average of about 50) between my laptop and desktop at my parents' house, now it's consistently under 5ms.

Edit: wow, I've just tested the connection at work because I was curious: 285.48 down, 287.65 up. That's mad!

This is my home's internet speed. The fastest you can get where I'm from. The package has an asymmetrical connection.

CPV-EvWUAAANkCn.jpg

Speed test from my phone on my home wifi:
image.png

In May my cable company (Time Warner) is raising speeds:
image.jpeg

I currently pay for "Extreme" which is 30/5 but that will go up to 200/20 :D. They are changing the name of it though.

But there will probably be a massive increase in the cable bill :banghead:.

Last edited:
So I did a speed test at the same site you're all using, and this being Australia, I knew the result would be hilarious compared to all of your awesome speeds (jealous btw).

I don't know where to find those cool little images of the speed so I'll just type it in here:

Ping - 29ms | Download Speed - 0.905MB/s | Upload Speed - 0.112MB/s

I kid you not, this is the kind of internet speed that's typical in this country...

So I did a speed test at the same site you're all using, and this being Australia, I knew the result would be hilarious compared to all of your awesome speeds (jealous btw).

I don't know where to find those cool little images of the speed so I'll just type it in here:

Ping - 29ms | Download Speed - 0.905MB/s | Upload Speed - 0.112MB/s

I kid you not, this is the kind of internet speed that's typical in this country...

Move closer to the equator

5252918382.png

...You realise Tasmania is a state of Australia yeah? :lol:

It's sort of a grey area. Historical records suggest the Commonwealth of Australia was an umbrella term coined by Captain Cook after he annexed most of Australia and all of Tasmania for the British Empire. But no treaty was ever signed or agreed to. That's why the Queen is still on all our money.

It's sort of a grey area. Historical records suggest the Commonwealth of Australia was an umbrella term coined by Captain Cook after he annexed most of Australia and all of Tasmania for the British Empire. But no treaty was ever signed or agreed to. That's why the Queen is still on all our money.

Um... it's not a grey area at all cobber. Tasmania is a state of Australia. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have a vote in the federal election, or share the currency, or share the federal laws, or about a million other things that all states share lol. Not sure where you get the idea that there's any doubt about Tassie being part of Australia, because there just isn't lol. Anyway, I wouldn't trade living here for having faster internet, especially if I had to live in Brissy, it's the worst capital city I've ever been to. We've got the optic fibre rolling out here now anyway, so hopefully that doesn't take too long.

Upgraded today, a competitor to my current isp wanted to give me a good deal but then i contaced my current isp provider and got upgraded to 100up.. not that I need it but why not.

Um... it's not a grey area at all cobber. Tasmania is a state of Australia. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have a vote in the federal election, or share the currency, or share the federal laws, or about a million other things that all states share lol. Not sure where you get the idea that there's any doubt about Tassie being part of Australia, because there just isn't lol. Anyway, I wouldn't trade living here for having faster internet, especially if I had to live in Brissy, it's the worst capital city I've ever been to. We've got the optic fibre rolling out here now anyway, so hopefully that doesn't take too long.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Distance+between+Australia+and+Tasmania

Depends on your perspective I suppose. Good luck with the fibre rollout :cheers:

Did you have to pay extra? I hope mine gets a boost too. :D
They said that it's at no additional cost, but I bet they're referring to only flipping the switch and changing the lines to allow the higher speeds :P. I wouldn't be surprised if the first bill next year is about $50 more.

The speeds have increased to above what I pay for now :D:
5271524313.png

I pay $80 a month for this crap. And I have no choice because my apartment complex has an exclusivity contract with Century Link. The best possible reason for me to not recommend that anyone live here.

But yeah, back on topic, that fibre rollout is taking an age. I'll definitely be getting in on the action once it's arrived where I live.
At least you're getting fibre, it looks like we're only getting fixed wireless in my area. :indiff:

Back