Your predictions for the driver line-up, 2010

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Ardius, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ardius

Ardius

So we're looking at:
    Mercedes:
    Rosberg
    Schumacher

Sauber:
    Heidfeld
    Kobayashi

Virgin:
    Glock
    Di Grassi

Lotus:
    Trulli
    Fauzy, Davidson or Sato

USF1:
    Who the hell knows?

Campos:
    Senna
    Petrov, Parente or Maldanado

Renault:
    Kubica
    Kovalainen

2. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

Ooh I do hope Schumi comes back! He could potentially dominate and make it boring again but F1 hasn't been the same without him!

3. Ardius

Ardius

Fortunately I think such years of domination are long over, during the Ferrari+Schumacher years there were only really 2 other teams that had a chance of beating them at each race.
    Nowdays most of the grid has a chance of winning and the top 5 teams all appear to be strong enough to take the championship with the right car.

4. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Ardius, I'm doubtful as to Parente's position with Campos. I'm not denying that he's in contention, but I think his chnces are being over-exaggerated. He was said to be in line for the second Virgin/Manor seat for weeks (if not months), but kept dragging his feet. I think it had something to do with sponsorship dollars. Then, just as the reports of his going to Virgin fade, he's suddenly front and centre for the Campos seat because Adrian Campos is losing his patience with Petrov and Maldonado and their sponsors? I'm not buying it, especially since the Parente-Campos stories were first run by Brazilian papers.

5. Ardius

Ardius

Well to be honest I haven't been paying a great deal of attention to the Campos 2nd seat rumours because I have no interest in any of the mentioned drivers and they all appear to be pay drivers.
    The last I had read was that Parente was rumoured along with the other two and I don't see much between them skill-wise, so its going to be who comes up with the cash quickest.

From what I saw in GP2, Petrov seems to be the most favourable choice, but I don't think anyone has had a good indication of who is most likely yet.

6. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The term "pay driver" doesn't mean what it used to. Yes, they pay for their seat - but they're no longer entirely useless. With so many feeder series these days, the pay drivers can't rely solely on money to get them a seat: they have to have at least a little bit of talent to go with it. Of the three, I'd say Petrov is by far the safest bet; neither Maldonado nor Parente have particualrly shone.

7. Ardius

Ardius

Pay driver as a term is still the same as it always was - teams are considering them because of their money rather than necessarily their skill. Pay drivers weren't always rubbish back in the day either (Schumacher was a pay driver) but most of the time they weren't particularly great either.

The very nature of motorsport requires almost all drivers to find sponsorship, so really everyone is a pay driver to an extent. But the difference is those that bring major money and those that don't, teams have been known to hire drivers who didn't bring enough money.

Only the top drivers don't bring much sponsorship and only the top teams don't need the additional money, or at least are more willing to take drivers for their skill rather than the money.
    For smaller teams, the ideal setup is a highly rated driver with experience to help develop the team and a pay driver to help boost the finances. If the pay driver happens to be pretty good, its a bonus but its a secondary requirement.

8. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

9. Ardius

Ardius

I just read an interesting rumour - Anthony Davidson at Mercedes? Thats certainly something no one has considered and is definitely a surprise!

10. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Premium

:lol: This is getting ridiculous. I see we have a new flavor for the day :crazy: My head is starting to hurt lol

11. Ian Poole

Ian Poole

You make a good argument

You're right, it's been better!

What was someone smoking when they wrote that?

That would make sort of sense seeing as how Davidson/Sato were test drivers once upon a time for Honda who are Brawn who are Mercedes

I like crazy, gives a rush of blood to the head

12. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Well, German and French media outlets are slowly starting to admit that Schumacher might have signed.

13. Ian Poole

Ian Poole

Ludes, ludes, you disappoint me

What have I told you about believing everything the French and the Germans say?

IF you believe the Germans, they will keep telling you that they won WW2

If you believe the French, they will tell you that Thierry Henry never handballed that ball

14. Roo

Roo Premium

No Lotus seat for Sato.

15. Ardius

Ardius

Well thats lame.

So I guess that all but confirms Trulli and Kovalainen for Lotus then, quite a solid and experienced line-up :tup: Hopefully Kovy goes back to his Renault success.
    Its pretty impressive that Lotus have come from being a late-comer nobody team to hiring two experienced decent drivers and GP winners.

They are certainly going a long way to being the "best of the new teams".

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  16. Pescara for GT5

Pescara for GT5

17. Pescara for GT5

Pescara for GT5

*Sorry Double Post*

18. Ardius

Ardius

Virgin Racing has confirmed? Well thats a lie :lol: They haven't announced anything yet apart from Glock!

They are confirming their drivers on Tuesday.

19. Peter

Peter (Banned)

Such a crying shame for Sato. But don't get down, there's always USF1, whatever the hell they are doing.

20. Pescara for GT5

Pescara for GT5

You are right, I must have been seeing things, because Wikipedia has taken it down.

21. GTP_rpm

GTP_rpm Premium

As nice as it would be, MS is looking like the most likely candidate.

Ross told Ant, there will always be something for him at Brawn/Merc and he also said many people within the team have told him he should put Ant in the 2nd seat. He knows Ant would drive for peanuts too...but, we wouldn't be dissapointed if they chose MS over Ant. For obviously reasons...!

22. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

And it was removed very quickly.

23. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Lotus annoucement expected in about an hour. I think. Trulli seems to be a sure thing for the first seat, Heikki Kovalainen favourite for the second. However, Will Buxton reckons it's not as simple as that - Heidfeld might have given up on Mercedes and be interested in Lotus.

Tony Fernandes also seems to be angling for a rivalry with Virgin, since he runs AirAsia and Richard Branson has Virgin Airways and Virgin Blue. It will be interesting to see how that pans out, given that each team will have an ex-Toyota driver in their lineups.

24. J-PaP

J-PaP

25. Ardius

Ardius

And now we know why Button left:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80574

Henkel press release:

26. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Actually, I'd be surprised if that had anything to do with Button's departure. Mercedes are only just finding out about it now; blame seems to rest with Nick Fry for this little episode. He's probably the one responsible for Button's departure as well, since the team left it to him to negotiate and Fry decided to play hardball with Button because he felt Button owed his championship to Brawn. But aside from Fry being the antagnoist in both cases, I don't think the Henkel case has anything to do with Button going to McLaren.

27. SUPER NUMBBER

SUPER NUMBBER

I think he had tongue in cheek when he said this is why Button left.

On a separate note, I guess this and the Quadbak incident means F1 is ripe for fraud.

28. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Given the massive upheavals we've seen politically this year, the teams need to get sponsors to secure their future, and fast. Brawn in particular had to do it since they had virtually no money.

29. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Virgin confirm Tim O'Glock and Degrassi High as drivers, Avocado Parente and Luiz Razamataz as testers. Judging by their website, they're going for a real rock-and-roll attitude, the kind we haven't seen since Jordan (sure, Red Bull had it - but then they started getting all corporate). It's kind of retro, nothing flashy and the video has the best team tagline ever: SCREW IT - LET'S DO IT.

Also, one of Campos' guys reckons they're still angling for Pedro de la Rosa for 2010 despite Petrov and Maldonado having much more in the way of sponsorship on offer.

30. Ardius

Ardius

Now thats a website!
    http://www.virginracing.com//

Heh, I think my two favourite teams next year have been decided. Its great they are also rivals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.