Your predictions for the driver line-up, 2010

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 703 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a better quote than the one I read. Well, it's the same quote, but the text of the article it was in painted a different picture.
I have no clue about what that FMS thing is.
The short version is this: Soucek paid to drive for Fisichella Motorsport in the GP2 series in 2008. However, they dropped him very early on. Soucek took legal action against the oners of Fisichella Motorsport in Belgium this year, impounding their cars and preventing them from competing. He was perfectly within his rights to do this, of course, but here's the problem: the team was no longer FMS. They had sold the team completely to Coloni Motorsport. I don't know the exact nature of the deal, but it seems the people Soucek had an issue with had already left, and Soucek had someone else's car impounded.

I just hate it when people like Alguersuari (who's not confirmed even after driving last season) .

Alguersuari has actually been confirmed in the last couple of days.

interludes
I don't think anyone does. Except maybe Nelson Piquet, Jnr., and only because Soucek stands a chance to claim his title of Most Hated Formula One Driver.

Lol... I think Piquet jr returning to F1 is near certain at some point. Due to his financial backing. I don't really like him either, but he is determined to come back, knowing that he would be the most hated person in the paddock.

Ardius
Alguesuari has never come across as particularly arrogant to me other than his one statement about Bourdais.

Can't say I remember the statement... What did he say?

While I agree that Alguersuari hasn't really proven himself yet I think we really need to wait until the start of the 2010 season to make a proper judgement.

I seem to remember hearing Lewis Hamilton saying that if he had taken the race seat at Mclaren after Juan Pablo Montoya left (and he was offered it), he'd have crashed a lot.

I think he went on to say that the days of testing during the winter did him the world of good. If alguersuari can use the test days to get more comfortable with the car, it could make a world of difference.

I think you guys are taking PR statements a bit too seriously, of course Alguesuari and Soucek are going to claim to be the next big thing, that is how you get a job and if you aren't confident in yourself, you aren't going to get anywhere.

All the drivers say stuff like this - because they do believe they are the best and because they want to attract sponsors.

There's a small but well defined difference between confidence and arrogance. Don't mix up confidence with "overestimating" (to not say "lying about") your contract status, or even worse, taking shots at your predecessor before having driven a single F1 mile. Doesn't help your likability. Same goes for claiming to be an expensive driver, if that's what Soucek really said. Not even Kimi gets a free pass on that, and he's a far cry from anything Soucek's done.

Alguersuari has actually been confirmed in the last couple of days.

Usually what we do around here is that if we get news, we post the source link, and apparently you're not sharing as such, bro.

While I agree that Alguersuari hasn't really proven himself yet I think we really need to wait until the start of the 2010 season to make a proper judgement.

I think Alguersuari himself could've used the same amount of caution before questioning Bourdais' commitment. Here's the thing: even if you had accomplished anything in life, unless you're driving the same car at the same time with this person, you don't get rights to rag on anyone's performance.

Same goes for claiming to be an expensive driver, if that's what Soucek really said. Not even Kimi gets a free pass on that, and he's a far cry from anything Soucek's done.

Soucek didn't say he was too expensive to Campos. What he said was that he (and his sponsors) was too poor to get a seat with Campos. :)

I seem to remember hearing Lewis Hamilton saying that if he had taken the race seat at Mclaren after Juan Pablo Montoya left (and he was offered it), he'd have crashed a lot.

I think he went on to say that the days of testing during the winter did him the world of good. If alguersuari can use the test days to get more comfortable with the car, it could make a world of difference.

I can't remember the exact words but it was something along the lines of "Bourdais was too lazy to try to fix his problems", he was basically critical of Bourdais' efforts and suggested he would be more focused.
I agree somewhat that we shouldn't expect much without testing but at the same time we haven't seen any flashes of speed whatsoever. Even Grosjean has shown some speed despite all the spins and crashes. Even a driver without testing should be able to display some skill, especially after a couple of races.

There's a small but well defined difference between confidence and arrogance. Don't mix up confidence with "overestimating" (to not say "lying about") your contract status, or even worse, taking shots at your predecessor before having driven a single F1 mile. Doesn't help your likability. Same goes for claiming to be an expensive driver, if that's what Soucek really said. Not even Kimi gets a free pass on that, and he's a far cry from anything Soucek's done.

The Bourdais comment I admitted was arrogant. However, the contract stuff is not arrogant - he believes he has a contract already, perhaps he hasn't realised he hasn't signed anything and is going by promises - we don't know. Maybe he's signed but Toro Rosso are having second thoughts, they are well known for being horrible driver managers.
Soucek you're basing off comments that don't exist, but I think he's an idiot anyway - just not for his PR talk.

Okay, maybe their recent comment might've been misconstrued somewhat. Still, after the way these 2 have acted before, I wouldn't put it beyond them to say such a thing.

Autosport
Raikkonen's WRC switch deal done

By Jonathan Noble and Gerhard Kuntschik Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 13:32 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen's switch to the World Rally Championship is expected to be confirmed in the next few hours, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The Finn has been considering his options in the wake of a failure to complete a deal with McLaren, which was his only realistic chance to remain in F1 next year after he agreed to end his Ferrari contract early.

He had been widely expected to make the move to the WRC, and sources have revealed that he has now completed a deal to compete with the Red Bull-backed Citroen junior team alongside Sebastien Ogier.

It is understood that Raikkonen will contest the entire WRC season apart from the New Zealand Rally, which his team is not competing in. He will also participate in the Arctic Rally.

Raikkonen has made no secret of the fact that he is looking at a return to F1 in 2011 - with speculation already suggesting he is high on Red Bull Racing's list to partner Sebastian Vettel.

The fact that Red Bull is backing Raikkonen's rally efforts will do little to quell those rumours, although sources at the energy drinks company are adamant that the current ties mean nothing for his future F1 ambitions.

"This has no prejudice at all for Kimi's further F1 career if he intends one," a source close to Red Bull told AUTOSPORT. "It does not mean at all that he will replace a current Red Bull F1 driver in our team from 2011."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80423

Well, I guess he only has to look back 4 or 5 champions to see that taking a year off doesn't mean you can't return to F1.
However, if Hakkinen is any indication - he may not return at all.

This also makes Mercedes' other seat further interesting, is Heidfeld really a surprise? Is the Kubica/Renault/Prodrive switch the key?

I reckon we will see:
Heidfeld leading Sauber.
Kubica at Mercedes after agreeing a switch when Renault pull out and Prodrive take over, agreeing for Mercedes engines.
Anthony Davidson at Prodrive-Mercedes.
Kobayashi at Sauber.

I hope for:
Davidson and Di Resta at Prodrive Mercedes. Not only do we have McLaren with Button and Hamilton, but then an all-Brit Prodrive team! This could feasibly happen too, as Di Resta is backed by Mercedes and has been fairly impressive in young driver testing.

Being realistic though, this is the zillionth time Richards has been connected with a buyout or something F1. I am somewhat pessimisitic of Prodrive appearing next year, but nothing to say they won't.

Last edited:
The latest suggestion on the Renault front seems to be this:

Renault won't actually be going anywhere. They will still maintain ownership of the team, but the responsibility and day-to-day operations of it will fall to Dave Richards, who will run it under the Prodrive banner. This will allow Renault to maintain a presence as engine supplier, whilst Kubica will still be committed to the team, and they will still run the numbers 11 and 12 because the ownership isn't actually changing.

Richards will invest in the team with the aid of Gerard Lopez of Mangrove Investment and Gravity Sports Management. Lopez will bring sponsorship through his associations in the form of Russian Vitaly Petrov, who comes with MegaFon backing. So we could be seeing a MegaFon Prodrive-Renault in 2010. There's no word on the potential for Gulf sponsorship, but I think that's something of a pipe dream, anyway.

^I don't think Gulf is totally out of the question, they appear to have a great relationship with the AMR Le Mans operation.

I'd be a little surprised if Jan Charouz doesn't play a part either, he's usually mixed up in it.

^I don't think Gulf is totally out of the question, they appear to have a great relationship with the AMR Le Mans operation.
Well, a lot of people are going ga-ga over photoshop images of an F1 car dressed up in blue-and-orange Gulf livery. But the thing to remember is that if what I posted is what comes to pass - hell, even if it's only Prodrive and there is no gravity or MegaFon involvement in the deal - then Renault will have the final say, and they already have a working relationship with Total. Prodrive may have to take Total on, as they would be using Renault engines and Total's relationship with Renault is similar to Shell's with Ferrari and Mobil's with McLaren/Mercedes.

I'd be a little surprised if Jan Charouz doesn't play a part either, he's usually mixed up in it.
Well, Antonin Charouz reckons there's potenial for a Czech Grand Prix in the near future. He's working on a project to have a DTM race in Prague either in 2010 or 2011, and the success of it could set them up for a date with the Formula One calendar, possibly in 2011 or 2012. If Jan Charouz is associated with a Prodrive/Aston Martin F1 project, that dream could become a reality that much quicker.

Just some other news on some other news in F1:

yahoo.co.uk

While the usual Formula One 'silly season' speculation heads into the festive period in full force, one driver appears to be quietly edging closer to full-time graduation to the top flight almost undetected.

Portugal's Alvaro Parente is apparently emerging as the prime candidate to partner Bruno Senna at Campos Meta next season, despite the rumour mill suggesting GP2 Series rivals Vitaly Petrov and Pastor Maldonado are leading the charge to form part of the Spanish outfits debut line-up.

According to sources, Campos is growing tired of waiting for promised sponsorship deals attached to the named favourites to materialise and has extended its list of potential drivers to include Parente, who has shown his worth with titles in both British F3 and the World Series by Renault in recent years, before going on to take victories in GP2 with both Super Nova and the new Ocean Racing operation. The latter success, at Spa, saw the under-rated Portuguese defeat eventual series champion - and potential F1 rival - Nico Hulkenberg in a straight fight, despite the ORT machine not being as highly-rated as the German's ART entry.

Parente's bid to join Williams-bound Hulkenberg among the Cosworth ranks in 2010 has attracted backing from both the Portuguese government and businesses in his homeland, some of which also have interests in Spain. In addition, many of those companies are also active in the Brazilian market, and would benefit from Parente teaming up with fellow F1 rookie Senna.

Petrov and Maldonado have both long been connected to possible rides with Campos, the Russian primarily due to his erstwhile role as driver for the team - and its Barwa Addax successor - in GP2. Both are racewinners in the F1 feeder series, and are rumoured to have attracted backing from their respective homelands, but have yet to secure their place on the expanded grand prix grid for next season. Campos Meta appears to be the erratic Maldonado's only opening, while Petrov has been linked to at least one other newcomer to the field, as well as the returning Sauber outfit, and may yet find a berth should Parente snatch the second Campos seat.

I watched Parante in A1GP, okay they were all the same cars but he was blinding in some races and in others, well, he missed the plot so he may make it, he may not

And just to show how boring it is:

yahoo.co.uk

Fresh from launching its 150th anniversary celebrations at a glittering event at the McLaren Technology Centre on Wednesday evening, TAG Heuer announced that it has extended its partnership with the resident F1 team.

The relationship, signed in 1985, is one of the longest sports sponsorship deals in history, and the announcement underlines the ongoing successes that both brands continue to enjoy together.

“To announce the extension of a partnership that has already prospered for 25 years not only says a lot about the very close relationship that exists between TAG Heuer and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, but it also speaks volumes about the appeal, strength and sustainability offered to all partners by F1," team principal Martin Whitmarsh noted, “We both share a passion for precision technology, and we measure life in F1 by the stopwatch, so the long and prosperous relationship we’ve enjoyed with TAG Heuer feels entirely natural.”

Joining Whitmarsh among the guests of honour at Wednesday's event were McLaren's most recent F1 world champion, Lewis Hamilton, TAG Heuer president and CEO Jean-Christophe Babin, the brand’s honorary chairman, Jack Heuer, and McLaren Automotive executive chairman Ron Dennis. However, the limelight belonged to a classic McLaren F1 car – the MP4/2C driven by Alain Prost to the world title in 1986 – which had been lovingly restored by the team’s engineers before being driven around the lakeside entrance to the MTC by Hamilton.

The Briton parked the car at the entrance to the building alongside the 2008 championship-winning MP4-23, and the two legendary machines neatly encapsulated the ongoing strength and health of the 25-year winning relationship between McLaren and TAG Heuer as it prepares to embark on an extraordinary anniversary year.

The 2010 season will mark the 150th anniversary of the founding of the company, which proudly bears the legend ‘Swiss avant garde since 1860’, as well as the 25th anniversary of its relationship with the McLaren team. The year will also see the launch of TAG Heuer’s first-ever in-house movement, the 1887; the first time the Swiss watchmaker has developed its very own mechanism, as well as the relaunch of the classic Heuer Silverstone watch from the 1970s

“It’s a matter of considerable pride to all of us at TAG Heuer that we can not only look back on a fantastically successful 25-year relationship, but that we can continue to share our vision together long into the future," Babin commented, “In many ways, TAG Heuer has become synonymous with F1 and, in particular, the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team. Many of our ambassadors – Ayrton Senna, Mika Hakkinen and Lewis Hamilton – have become some of F1’s greatest champions, and our timepieces will long continue to celebrate the accuracy, the precision and even the history of this great sport.”

This just in: Renault are probably going, and soon. They have two conflicting bids.

The first, favoured by Carlos Ghosn, comes from Gereard Lopez an Gravity Sports Management. Lopez would buy between 75 and 100% of the team and take control of their finances, while the Renault Young Driver Program would be absorbed into Gravity. The Renault name itself would stay in the sport for two more years. This arrangement apparently has the blessing of Bernie Ecclestone, who wants to see Renault stay in the sport. Then again, Ecclestone tipped Button to stay with Brawn/Mercedes less than forty-eight hours before he was annouced at McLaren.

The second comes from Dave Richards and is apaprently the favourite of Renault's F1 Team management. Richards and Prodrive would allow Renault to bow out straight away, but stay on as an engine supplier.

I watched Parante in A1GP, okay they were all the same cars but he was blinding in some races and in others, well, he missed the plot so he may make it, he may not
That's funny - Campos said as recently as yesterday that Petrov and Maldonado were looking increasingly likely as the two contenders for the second Campos drive, while Parente has said to be on-again, off-again with Virgin and very hesitant over something that led to the team abandoning talks with him.

Usually what we do around here is that if we get news, we post the source link, and apparently you're not sharing as such, bro.

Sorry, new here.

I read on teletext (can't remember whether it was itv or bbc, but i definately read it.

I've had a quick look, and can't find any evidence on their websites.

I found these though

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091126103305.shtml

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/11/26/alguersuari-2010-contract-is-signed/

Not really sure whether these sources are reliable. I think he'll be back anyway, but they might ditch him halfway through the season if he doesn't improve

Anyone else think Sebastien Bourdais should get the number 2 drive for USF1? I know he didn't exactly shine in F1, but apparently, he was always trying to fix the car's setup (according to a source from toro rosso (in autosport magazine some months ago). And to be fair to him, the car was a right dog at the start of the season.

I imagine he's a pretty popular guy in america (Due to his 4 consecutive Champcar titles) and the new teams could do a lot worse than Bourdais.

EDIT:

This just in: Renault are probably going, and soon. They have two conflicting bids.

The first, favoured by Carlos Ghosn, comes from Gereard Lopez an Gravity Sports Management. Lopez would buy between 75 and 100% of the team and take control of their finances, while the Renault Young Driver Program would be absorbed into Gravity. The Renault name itself would stay in the sport for two more years. This arrangement apparently has the blessing of Bernie Ecclestone, who wants to see Renault stay in the sport. Then again, Ecclestone tipped Button to stay with Brawn/Mercedes less than forty-eight hours before he was annouced at McLaren.

The second comes from Dave Richards and is apaprently the favourite of Renault's F1 Team management. Richards and Prodrive would allow Renault to bow out straight away, but stay on as an engine supplier.

At least they're being sensible and allowing someone to take over the team. Hope this works out. Anyone else more excited than usual about next season? I love the fact that it's going back to 26 cars.

Is it wrong to hope that a few of the teams have terrible reliability (eg., cars breaking down all the time). F1 cars nowadays are very reliable. Imagine how much more exciting it would it be seeing Rosberg (for example) in the lead with a few laps to go, but remembering he's had terrible reliability previously... Will he finish the race? I'm hoping that some of the teams find it tough to get to grips with the refuelling ban as well.

/Rant

Last edited:
Well reliability has certainly helped make those heartbreaker races over the years...Hungary 1997, Adelaide 1986, Monaco 1982....

Well, a lot of people are going ga-ga over photoshop images of an F1 car dressed up in blue-and-orange Gulf livery. But the thing to remember is that if what I posted is what comes to pass - hell, even if it's only Prodrive and there is no gravity or MegaFon involvement in the deal - then Renault will have the final say, and they already have a working relationship with Total. Prodrive may have to take Total on, as they would be using Renault engines and Total's relationship with Renault is similar to Shell's with Ferrari and Mobil's with McLaren/Mercedes.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80434

Gravity is actually a rival bid.

Its not inconcievable for a team to run an oil company without actually using their oils for the engine, just the same as rebadged engines. I agree that Total and Renault will have a say, but Renault's engine may not need to run on Total, they had Elf sponsorship before and the Total contract may have clauses on both sides (Total may not want to be connected with Prodrive for whatever reason or the contract specifically stated the team be owned and run by Renault).

Last edited:
How about this for strange:

All 13 Formula 1 teams plan to unveil their cars for the 2010 season together at a joint launch.

The teams are expected to present their cars ahead of the first pre-season test in Valencia at the end of January.

Mercedes chief executive Nick Fry said: "We've agreed among the teams to do a joint launch. It's a demonstration of how we're working together."

The teams are understood to have agreed to the idea as part of a continued effort to cut costs.

Fry added that the teams will discuss the details of the launch in Monaco, where their representatives are meeting this week.

"I wouldn't wish to spill the beans on exactly what we are going to do but I think it is going to be very innovative," he stated.

"We're not all just going off and doing our own individual launches. We can do something which is a lot more customer friendly."

However, a common launch could mean not all the teams will be able to launch track-ready cars.

Lotus F1 team principal Tony Fernandes said a proposed January launch would come too soon for his new team, who plan to have their car ready in early February.

"I won't have a car at that time. I could come with a Matchbox car," he quipped.

Fry, who was speaking at a motorsport business forum, refused to be drawn on who will line up with new recruit Nico Rosberg at Mercedes when the season begins in Bahrain on 14 March.

Retired seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher has been linked with the German team at the age of 40.

And Fry commented that the return of the former champion, who had been set to replace the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari last summer before a neck injury ruled out a comeback, would add spice to the sport.

Fry, who helped guide Brawn to the constructors' crown before their buy-out by Mercedes, said: "Can a 40 or 41-year-old compete against someone who is 24 years old?

"I think that would add another fascinating aspect. It is irrelevant whether it is Michael or [Canada's 1997 champion] Jacques Villeneuve.

"I was joking with [1998 and 1999 champion] Mika Hakkinen the other day that maybe he should throw his hand in.

"We learned very clearly this year that you've got to have two drivers capable of scoring points in every single race.

"With the lack of testing it's very difficult to expect a younger driver to do that, so clearly highest on our list are people with F1 experience."

Fry said an announcement on the second driver could come before the Christmas holiday but was more likely to be made early next month.

Team representatives were also gathered in Monaco for a meeting of the F1 Commission, which agrees rule changes before they are rubber-stamped by the FIA.

It is the first time the group, which is comprised of representatives of the teams, governing body the FIA, commercial rights holders, circuit owners and sponsors, has met for four years.

Owkey they launch their cars together.. That's weird but sometimes, it sounds good though as a reason to cut costs. It would also be interesting too to watch all the cars launched together and thus we have a chance to see all of them at one time ;).

Tony Fernandes
"I won't have a car at that time. I could come with a Matchbox car,"
:lol:

From a perspective that this is something you never saw coming, unless you is implying something else Mr. Ardius?

How did you never see greater co-operation coming from 13 teams who are part of a common association (FOTA) and have been largely together on many issues recently, even threatening to make their own series?
Having a joint launch is cheaper and more sensible. If they can agree to ban beneficial technologies that some teams have spent a lot of money on already (KERS), then I think they can agree to something so small as this.

Strange? Maybe if this was 1995.

Strange? Maybe if this was 1995.

Your implication there sir?

Also, news on De Grassi:

Brazilian Lucas Di Grassi will race in Formula One next season after announcing he will join one of the sport's new teams - thought to be Virgin Racing.

"I'll be in Formula One next year. It will be in one of the four new teams entering the sport," the 25-year-old told Brazil's TV Globo.

Brazilian media said it would be the Virgin Racing team, who originally entered as Manor Grand Prix, with the official announcement expected next Tuesday.

Virgin, who have already signed Germany's Timo Glock from departed Toyota, have a presentation in London scheduled for that day.

"It's a dream come true, of course it's fantastic. I am well prepared, I was reserve and test driver at Renault for two years," said Di Grassi.

"My aim is to enter in F1 to stay, in a solid way, to get results and a future."

Lotus F1, US F1 and Spanish-based Campos Meta are the other three new teams for 2010. Campos have confirmed Brazilian Bruno Senna as one driver while the other two teams have yet to announce their line-ups.

Last edited:
Your implication there sir?

You'd be hard pressed to find anywhere where Benetton and Williams co-operated at the time.

Anyway, sounds increasingly likely Schumacher will return! :eek:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/12/schumacher_returning_looking_i.html

Andrew Benson
Schumacher return looking increasingly likely

Andrew Benson | 13:14 UK time, Friday, 11 December 2009

Michael Schumacher's possible return to action with Mercedes in 2010 has been the hot topic in Formula 1 circles since BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan first put meat on the bones of the vague rumours last month - and it is now looking increasingly likely to happen.

Bosses at the Mercedes team have all scrupulously avoided dampening down the speculation in the last couple of weeks, with the latest remarks coming from chief executive Nick Fry, who said a comeback by the seven-time champion would be "very interesting".

And this morning, the German tabloid Bild reported that Mercedes had offered Schumacher a salary of seven million euros (£6.3m).

On top of that, my information is increasingly that Schumacher's return as Nico Rosberg's team-mate is looking like a done deal.

Jordan says he thinks it will now definitely happen - and he believes it is only subject to a medical examination by leading F1 physician Dr Johannes Piel on the neck injury that stopped him returning as a replacement for Felipe Massa last summer.

Other sources are pointing in the same direction.

One figure who until recently had a senior role at Ferrari, who would have to release Schumacher from his consultancy contract, is saying it is definitely going to happen.

And I received cast-iron information from a reliable source this morning about the plans of those potentially affected by Schumacher's decision that, shall we say, points very strongly to him driving for Mercedes in 2010. (If that sounds vague, I'm sorry, but I was told in confidence and cannot reveal any more).

Armed with this mounting evidence, I phoned Schumacher's media spokeswoman Sabine Kehm to ask her what was going on with her client.

She is normally very forthcoming - it was Kehm who gave me the information with which BBC Sport broke the story back in July that Schumacher would consider a return as a stand-in for Massa.

At the time of Jordan's remarks she said a return was "highly unlikely", but that she "would never say never". But this time, although as friendly as ever, she was unusually reticent.

"I haven't got any more to say," she said. "I don't want to tell you anything, for whatever reason. I don't want to go into it any more."

Is that because you have nothing to say, I asked, or because you can't say anything?

"Because I can't."

I realise that none of this is definitive evidence that Schumacher will be back in F1 in 2010. But I have to admit that, after being initially sceptical about it, I'm now increasingly convinced that it could well come true.

If Schumacher does come back, it raises a whole load of interesting questions. The first of those is probably why, when he will be 41 in January and has absolutely nothing to prove, would he want to?

Until Schumacher himself speaks, there is no definitive answer to that. But it is pretty obvious that the competition bug still bites him hard - he drives karts as often as he can, and won Massa's karting challenge in Brazil last month.

It would also be a neat book-end to his F1 career - Mercedes, for whom he was driving in sportscars at the time, paid for him to make his F1 debut with Jordan in 1991, but he has never driven in a grand prix for them. He would also be continuing his relationship with Mercedes GP boss Ross Brawn, who has masterminded all his seven titles, two at Benetton and five at Ferrari.

There is, though, also the issue of whether his neck has fully healed - but Kehm has already said that there is no reason to believe it won't have done by the end of the year.

Schumacher, Kehm and Brawn have all said that he is not interested in a new career. But that is not what this would be about, should it happen. At 41, any comeback by Schumacher is necessarily going to be short, but then this one only has to be.

Mercedes have already signed Rosberg for 2010 but, promising though the German is, he is not considered to be of the same calibre as Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, who will be leading the challenges of McLaren and Ferrari, nor of Jenson Button, Hamilton's new team-mate, or Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull.

And although Nick Heidfeld, widely believed to be Mercedes's second choice as Rosberg's team-mate, is a consistent, reliable performer, he isn't either.

Vettel is Mercedes's main target - but they cannot have him for 2010 as he has a contract with Red Bull. That deal also lasts through 2011, but it is believed Mercedes will make strenuous efforts to prise the 22-year-old out of that deal during next year with a view to having him lead their team in 2011.

With that in mind, Mercedes need a stop-gap for 2010. And while Heidfeld would certainly be a decent one of those, he is not going to have the same impact, on and off the track, as Schumacher. After all, given the choice, who would you go for?

Something must be happeneing because nothing is happening, right?

Anyway, Virgin will officially be launched as Virgin Racing on the 15th, and it is expected tht they'll announce Lucas di Grassi as Timo Gock's partner.

Elsewhere, sources - that I don't actually have, sorry - claim Kamui Kobayashi has joined Sauber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back