Your predictions for the driver line-up, 2010

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 703 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian, did you get that from Crash.net? Because if you did, you shoud probably know that they are hellishly unreliable. Anyway, the official entry list for 2010 has been published:

McLaren: 1 - Button, 2 - Hamilton
Mercedes: 3 - Rosberg, 4 - TBA
Red Bull: 5 - Vettel, 6 - Webber
Ferrari: 7 - Massa, 8 - Alonso
Williams: 9 - Barrichello, 10, Hulkenberg
Renault: 11 - Kubica, 12 - TBA
Force India: 14 - Sutil, 15 - Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: 16 - Buemi, 17 - TBA
Lotus: 18 - TBA, 19 - TBA
Campos: 20 - TBA, 21 - Senna
USF1: 22 - TBA, 23 - TBA
Virgin Racing (Manor): 24 - Glock, 25 - TBA

I'm uessing the number 22 won't win a third-straight title ...

I wonder why Lotus got higher numbers? Maybe replacement teams are considered less new than full blown new entries?

Shame to see the Manor not appearing, also interesting to note that Campos are going by the name "Campos Dallara" on the timing screens and so on rather than "Campos Cosworth". Does this make them the first team to not use the engine supplier in their title?

Edit: Just read elsewhere that Embratel (Senna's sponsor) has a phone code (for long distance calls in Brazil) which is 21, which may explain the strange numbers for the new teams, perhaps Campos requested those numbers.

Last edited:
Edit: Just read elsewhere that Embratel (Senna's sponsor) has a phone code (for long distance calls in Brazil) which is 21, which may explain the strange numbers for the new teams, perhaps Campos requested those numbers.
My guess is that Campos, Virgin and USF1 were consulted as to which numbers they wanted. Campos took 20 and 21 because of the Senna-Embratel thing (it's more than conincidence that Senna is running with a number so closely associatd with his sponsor), Virgin took 24 and 25 for whatever reason, and USF1 took 22 and 23 because Peter Windsor is probably superstitious and no doubt hopes that the 22's good fortune of late will rub off on him. The point is that Lotus probably got whatever is left over. Formula One teams and driver are an oddly superstitious lot, since the nubmer 13 still isn't used. In the same way, the numbers 18 and 19 have been something of a bogey of late, with Super guri withdrawing in 2008 and the nubmers not being used in 2009.

Hmm, I guess Toyota's spot is not yet settled after all...
A decision is expected soon. Because Toyota are still legally bound to compete, priority will be given to whoever buys the team. But Zoran Stefanovic denies he is purchasing the team; he seems to think there is another way in.

I wonder ... what if he and Peter Sauber got together to form an alliance? If they both want in and know there's only one place going, it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility. Sauber has the knowledge, Stefanovic seems to have the money and possibly the Toyota chassis, which I've heard could be quite competitive. Sauber-Stefanovic Sports? AMCO Sauber? Stefan GP by Sauber?

I wonder ... what if he and Peter Sauber got together to form an alliance? If they both want in and know there's only one place going, it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility. Sauber has the knowledge, Stefanovic seems to have the money and possibly the Toyota chassis, which I've heard could be quite competitive. Sauber-Stefanovic Sports? AMCO Sauber? Stefan GP by Sauber?

Me and a Friend speculated this a couple of days ago that Mr Stefanovic would only buy the entry after the rumblings of Toyota not wanting to relocate.

This got me thinking...is there a rule that says you have to run 2 cars? Not that they should split Toyota F1, but if running the team were to be an issue...

Me and a Friend speculated this a couple of days ago that Mr Stefanovic would only buy the entry after the rumblings of Toyota not wanting to relocate.
Sorry, I'm not rightly sure what you mean. Perhaps that's because I'm no seeing a conection to what I posted, the idea of a Sauber-Stefanovic merger. Are you saying Stefanovic would only buy the team if Toyota were uninterested in moving their stuff to Serbia?

That wouldn't be an issue. All but four of the current teams - Ferrari, Campos, Toro Rosso and US F1 - are based in England. That includes Indian, French, Malaysian and German squads, to name a few. Stefanovic could set up shop in Toyota HQ in Cologne and still compete under the Serbian banner. In fact, it's probably a whole lot more practical to do that since I can't imagine Serbia as being nearly as asseccible as Germany, much less the United Kingdom.

This got me thinking...is there a rule that says you have to run 2 cars? Not that they should split Toyota F1, but if running the team were to be an issue...
Yes, there is a rule. And no, you cannot have single-car teams. The idea is that it stops half-arsed efforts from geting onto the grid: two-car teams require a certain level of commitment that you just don't get from solo operations. Having seen some of Stefanovic's stuff, I think he's a pretty risky prospect as is.

Formula One teams and driver are an oddly superstitious lot, since the nubmer 13 still isn't used. In the same way, the numbers 18 and 19 have been something of a bogey of late, with Super guri withdrawing in 2008 and the nubmers not being used in 2009.

Thats not the same at all. There is fair reason for the number 13 as it was associated with a fair few accidents.
18 and 19 have only been out one year and its only because of Force India merchandise reasons. No superstition.

Sorry, I'm not rightly sure what you mean. Perhaps that's because I'm no seeing a conection to what I posted, the idea of a Sauber-Stefanovic merger. Are you saying Stefanovic would only buy the team if Toyota were uninterested in moving their stuff to Serbia?

No I heard a buzz that Mr Stefanovic was only buying the entry to the 2010 and not the cars, employees, chassis etc.

If I remember correctly a few weeks back Peter Sauber said he'd only buy the team if they had a 2010 gird slot and on the morning it was announced he had bought the team back there was talk of major investment in the team and rumours of the Sefan GP + Toyota link.

I'm, like you, just joining the dots and speculating.

On the note of from Cologne to Serbia, again I read an article saying didn't want to sell their chassis. Again all speculation I guess

Its quite clear that the FIA have never treated Zoran as a serious entry so why should we?
I'm quite willing to bet if anyone gets entry now, it will be Sauber.

If the FIA were stupid enough to allow Zoran entry, they would have let him in the first time around. None of this buying Toyota stuff makes sense - Toyota themselves said they are not ridding of the team, simply changing priorities. So all Zoran can buy is a design, which also makes no sense as he could have bought the Lola design if he really wanted for probably quite a bit less. Like his previous attempts and his various related "companies", its all just talk.

I also seem to remember Sauber being put on the reserve list for any further teams leaving after Lotus was confirmed and the 14 teams thing was suggested. Remember the FIA was quite supportive of the QADBAK entry.

Yes, there is a rule. And no, you cannot have single-car teams. The idea is that it stops half-arsed efforts from geting onto the grid: two-car teams require a certain level of commitment that you just don't get from solo operations. Having seen some of Stefanovic's stuff, I think he's a pretty risky prospect as is.

Well that's a pretty lame reason to require 2 cars - hasn't stopped flimsy investors as far as I can see. I was pretty sure they had 2 cars in order to have a constructor championship, but even then I don't see why you couldn't just participate in one.

Ian, did you get that from Crash.net? Because if you did, you shoud probably know that they are hellishly unreliable. Anyway, the official entry list for 2010 has been published:

McLaren: 1 - Button, 2 - Hamilton
Mercedes: 3 - Rosberg, 4 - TBA
Red Bull: 5 - Vettel, 6 - Webber
Ferrari: 7 - Massa, 8 - Alonso
Williams: 9 - Barrichello, 10, Hulkenberg
Renault: 11 - Kubica, 12 - TBA
Force India: 14 - Sutil, 15 - Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: 16 - Buemi, 17 - TBA
Lotus: 18 - TBA, 19 - TBA
Campos: 20 - TBA, 21 - Senna
USF1: 22 - TBA, 23 - TBA
Virgin Racing (Manor): 24 - Glock, 25 - TBA

I'm uessing the number 22 won't win a third-straight title ...

No sir, by source was yahoo.com and once again, you have predicted correctly about the 22 item

Its quite clear that the FIA have never treated Zoran as a serious entry so why should we?
I'm quite willing to bet if anyone gets entry now, it will be Sauber.

Yeah bring back Sauber F1!

F1 Live have picked up an interesting story on who might be buying Reanult if it is offered for sale. His name is Gerard Lopez, a German investor who has been conneted to the team as early as Brazil in association with a consortium of Russian business-people (one of whom is connected to one of Renault's sponsors - albiet a minor one - MegaFon). It seems that Ho-Pin Tung, who will test for Renault, is managed by a sports management company closely linked to Lopez.

Elsewhere, Andy Soucek reckons that he'll be on the 2010 grid after the first day of testing. Then again, he reckoned had an annoucement to make about a 2010 drive after winning the F2 crown. I think he's just making a lot of noise to draw the attention of the teams. He mentioned he was in talks with Campos, but they ended pretty quickly. He says Campos didn't have a budget big enough for him, so he plainly thinks he's going to start his Frmula One career with one of the big teams.

Let me tell you something, Andy: only the Lewis Hamiltons of this world get that. And you're no Lewis Hamilton.
No I heard a buzz that Mr Stefanovic was only buying the entry to the 2010 and not the cars, employees, chassis etc.
I don't think he can actually do that. Remember Phoenix Finanace buying up the remains of Prost in 2002 and showing up in Malaysia? They were told by a civil court that the FIA was right and that grid entries could not be purchased. Then again, they were a thinly-veiled attempt by Tom Walkinshaw to cannibalise the remin of Alain Prost's team to keep Arrows afloat.

I think di Resta deserves a seat the most out of the drivers here. The rest are either too young or inexperienced or just not good enough (Soucek).
Paffett and Ricciardo would be good choices though. The two Americans have done pretty well too. 👍

I think di Resta deserves a seat the most out of the drivers here. The rest are either too young or inexperienced or just not good enough (Soucek).
Paffett and Ricciardo would be good choices though. The two Americans have done pretty well too. 👍

De Resta is a good shout for a seat as is Paffett

Andy Soucek= Another Spaniard who thinks he too can be a double world champion.
I don't think he has a drive, despite what he claims. It's very difficult to keep things secret in Formula One, yet Soucek's name hasn't come up once on any potentia team roster.

I just hate it when people like Alguersuari (who's not confirmed even after driving last season) and Soucek who think because they're young and Spanish they're guaranteed to be the second coming of Alonso, and they automatically deserve a seat. I guess sponsors are to blame for trying to feed off the country's wish for athletic domination; they grab on to the first driver they can and hail him as the "next".

I just hate it when people like Alguersuari (who's not confirmed even after driving last season) and Soucek who think because they're young and Spanish they're guaranteed to be the second coming of Alonso, and they automatically deserve a seat. I guess sponsors are to blame for trying to feed off the country's wish for athletic domination; they grab on to the first driver they can and hail him as the "next".

Yea, I can't stand Alguersuari's over confidence and over inflated self worth/ego either. It's one thing to be confident if you're as good as the best, but he hasn't shown anything of yet that indicates that he truly has the potential to perform at the highest level. We've just seen a bunch of excuses and lack luster performances so far. I know you're young and still maturing, but C'mon Jaime, for now just know your roll and shut your mouth, and let your results do the speaking :lol:

Soucek is worse. He said something about Campos not having a big enough budget for him.

Dude, you're not Lewis Hamilton. You're not going to step into a top-flight team on debut. You sucked in GP2 and the only reason why you won F2 was because you were four years older than anyone else on the grid, and more expeirenced than most of them combined. It also happened to the be the series' first season, and so it hardly has the weight of something like GP2. If a seat is offered, take it! Just don't expect to be granted a McLaren or Mercedes berth just because you think you're good.

And if you suck in Formula One, be graceful in defeat. Your stunt in Belgium did you no favours since the management of FMS had changed by then. All it did was make you out as an arrogant kid who seemed to think a team shouldn't be allowed to race without you, and probably set off alarm bells in the minds of every Formula One team.

Well, I may hav gotten it the wrong way around. The wording of the exact quote is quite hinky. Either Campos doesn't have a big enough budget for him (which is quite arroant), or he doesn't have a big enough budget for Campos, which means he's screwed since Campos have the smallest budget of all the teams.

Either way, Soucek is boned.

Well, I may hav gotten it the wrong way around. The wording of the exact quote is quite hinky. Either Campos doesn't have a big enough budget for him (which is quite arroant), or he doesn't have a big enough budget for Campos, which means he's screwed since Campos have the smallest budget of all the teams.

Either way, Soucek is boned.

At the end of the day, that is what it all comes down to

Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I think you guys are taking PR statements a bit too seriously, of course Alguesuari and Soucek are going to claim to be the next big thing, that is how you get a job and if you aren't confident in yourself, you aren't going to get anywhere.

All the drivers say stuff like this - because they do believe they are the best and because they want to attract sponsors.

Alguesuari has never come across as particularly arrogant to me other than his one statement about Bourdais.
Soucek I don't like after that mess with FMS.

Soucek I don't like after that mess with FMS.
I don't think anyone does. Except maybe Nelson Piquet, Jnr., and only because Soucek stands a chance to claim his title of Most Hated Formula One Driver.

I have no clue about what that FMS thing is. However, I see no wrong in what Soucek said about Campos:

"Actually there was not much interest there. I know it's a Spanish team and I'm a Spanish driver, so it's logical. But they actually require more budget than I have. I'm not in that position now."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back