Your predictions for the driver line-up, 2010

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 703 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Whitmarsh said, if/after Alonso moves, there are going to be major changes through the grid.

Ferrari have put this out:

Ferrari has moved to clarify any gossip that the team's choice of drivers for 2010 may have been influenced by sponsors of the team. The Scuderia is set to confirm its partnership with Spanish bank Santander at Monza on Thursday, with many also expecting Fernando Alonso to soon be announced as a driver for next season.

With Santander set to make the move from McLaren to Ferrari, 2010 will be the company's fourth year of involvement in Formula One after entering with McLaren in 2007, the year Alonso joined the Woking team. However, di Montezemolo stresses that sponsor and driver selection remain sole decisions of Ferrari as opposed to shared ones with partners.

"As far as Ferrari is concerned, this will be a Grand Prix, which is traditionally not very good to us, but we will give it everything for a good result," the President of the Maranello team said. "I am happy that I've chosen an Italian driver, Fisichella, to race here and also Räikkönen is on great form.

"I'll be back here tomorrow (Thursday) to talk about a new partnership but that doesn't mean anything in terms of choices for the near future: I want to say it again, that the drivers are chosen by Ferrari and not by the sponsors."
Their intention is clear: if Alonso is joining Ferrari, it has nothing to do with Santander.

I like predicting. :D

BrawnGP:
Jenson Button
Rubens Barrichello

RBR:
Sebastien Vettel
Mark Webber

Toyota:
Timo Glock
Nick Heidfeld

Ferrari:
Fernando Alonso
Felipe Massa

Williams:
Kimi Raikkonen
Nico Hulkenburg

McLaren:
Lewis Hamilton
Nico Rosberg

Renault:
Robert Kubica
Roman Grosjean

STR:
Sebastien Buemi
Jaime Alguersari

Force India:
Adrian Sutil
Tonio Liuzzi

USF1:
Jonathan Summerton (Think that's his name.. American kid currently setting some decent times in the lower formulas)
Alex Wurz

Campos:
Pedro de la Rosa
Nelson Piquet jr.

Manor:
Anthony Davidson
Bruno Senna

Here's my take on it all. It'll never happen, but as has been said, it's fun to speculate:

-------

Emirates Brawn-Mercedes Grand Prix
1 - Jenson Button
2 - Nico Rosberg

After securing the 2009 World Drivers' Championship, Jenson Button stays on at Brawn. He is joined by Nico Rosberg after Mercedes end their relationship with McLaren, unimpressed with the way their name has been sullied by the Stepney Affair and the Australian Incident. Brawn signs Dubai airliner Emirates as title sponsor, with internet giant Google also taking pride of place alongside them.

Livery: Mercedes silver, with Brawn yellow and black breaking it up. Emirates on the sidepods, Google on the nose and rear wing.

-------

Red Bull Racing-Renault
3 - Sebastian Vettel
4 - Mark Webber

The Austrian energy drink consortium keeps their driver lineup from 2009, but decide to stick with Renault engines following Mercedes' decision to make Brawn their works team. Their success in stealing away the World Constructors' Championship in Abu Dhabi has drawn a number of secondary sponsors new for 2010.

Livery: The traditional Red Bull mauve and silver stays in place. Red Bull somehow convince their new sponsors to keep their logos in Red Bull colours.

-------

Scuderia Ferrari Santander
5 - Kimi Raikkonen
6 - Felipe Massa

It was widely exected that Ferrari would announce Fernando Alonso as one of their drivers for 2010, but everything came to naught after Alonso was implicated in the allegations of cheating levelled at Renault late in 2009. Santander are disappointed not to work with Alonso, but use Massa as a vehicle for expanding into the lucrative South American market, much as they did with Lewis Hamilton and Great Britain

Livery: Italian racing red with large Santander logos in a rather unique 'cut-off' fashion (logos intentionally larger than bodywork) that takes fans a while to get used to.

-------

Vodafone McLaren-Renault
7 - Lewis Hamilton
8 - Heikki Kovalainen

After a series of engine failures for Hamilton, McLaren's championship position comes under threat from Williams and Toyota. But Kovalainen rises to the occasion and secures his seat with podiums in Singapore and Brazil and a win in Japan. After Mercedes move to Brawn, McLaren turn their back on their previous partners and nominate to use the Renault engine after a gleeful Ferrari offer theirs at 'no cost'. McLaren take their Ethiad sponsorship instead, looking to start a rivalry with Emirates-backed Brawn.

Livery: Bruce McLaren's original bright orange, frequently used in testing new cars that segues smoothly into red Vodafone branding on the sidepods.

-------

Williams-Mercedes
9 - Rubens Barrichello
10 - Nico Hulkenberg

Williams do a do-se-do, trading Nico Rosberg for Rubens Barrichello and getting Mercedes engines in the deal. Barrichello is happy to swap as he becomes Sir Frank's lead driver, showing Nico Hulkenberg the ropes. Williams himself decides that the team's image has become too corporate and decides not to find a title sponsor to replace RBS (although the car still has sponsor branding). The emphasis on racing rather than finding a sponsor seems to rejuvenate the team, and Sir Frank is as bullish as ever.

Livery: The solid dark blue bordering on grey. Williams pick up Petronas as a sponsor after BMW's withdrawal.

-------

Panasonic Toyota
11 - Timo Glock
12 - Kamui Kobayashi

After trying and failing to snare Fernando Alonso after the Ferrari deal never came about, Toyota hastily sign Kamui Kobayashi for their second seat, atracting renewed interest from Japan and an influx of sponsor dollars. Glock comments that he has no idea what he is endorsing as it is all in Japanese, while pundits keep a close eye on Kobayashi; it quickly becomes known that he is operating on a race-by-race contract with Takuma Sato waiting to step up to the plate.

Livery: Toyota continue their red and white, but decide to inject a little blue into the mix. The end result is a few too many primary colours, but it is not a deviation from their standard.

-------

Force India-Toyota
14 - Adrian Sutil
15 - Vitantonio Liuzzi

Force India move onto their third engine supplier in as many years, following confirmation that Vijay Mallya is greatly in debt to both Mercedes and Ferrari. Toyota reluctantly take them up after Mallya manages to find a new financier. Who they are and where the money is coming from remain unknown as no new logos have appeared on the car, but speculation remains that it is a consortium led by the Indian government who have issued him an ultimatum: prove Formula One is good for India by winning a race, or else the Indian Grand Prix is shelved.

Livery: More of the same, though the white, green and orange are in equal parts.

-------

Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari
16 - Sebastien Buemi
17 - Jaime Alguersuari

With Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz going frustrated with Toro Rosso and thorwing less and less money at them, Toro Rosso slides down to the tail end of the grid. Buemi and Alguersuari are frequently seen talking with other teams, but nothing eventuates and they are condemned to circling at the back, a clear second and a half off the pace. Eddie Jordan, Aguri Suzuki and Paul Stoddart all express interest in buying the team by the third round, and negotiations continue.

Livery: The scarlet charging bull takes pride of place once more. To help distinguish the cars from the Red Bulls, black replaces the mauve and more gold appears on the wings. The car switches from Red Bull to Red Bull Cola as title sponsor.

-------

Telefonicia Campos-Cosworth
18 - Fernando Alonso
19 - Vitaly Petrov

Following Alonso's implication in the Singapore Incident, he struggles to find a race seat for 2010. Ultiamtely, he settles on Adrian Campos, the man who gave him his start in the World Series by Renault. Alonso later remarks that it is the best decision he has ever made, and announces a multi-year contract with a view to taking Campos to the top. With him is the other Campos collaborator, Vitaly Petrov, who brings with him an endless backing from Russian companies MegaFon and Lukoil.

Livery: Dark blue, in keeping with Telefonicia's image. MegaFon adorns one side of the car, while Lukoil graces the other. A lion and a double-headed eagle - representing the coat of arms of Spain and Russia respectively - appear as an informal team insignia between the front wheels and the sidepods.

-------

United States Formula One-Cosworth
20 - Pedro de la Rosa
21 - Jonathan Summerton

When Alonso joins Campos, Pedro de la Rosa is left out in the cold, but quickly snapped up by Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor. He is partnered with twenty-one year old superstar Summerton, who won his seat after a long winter testing session with Forula Two's Robert Wickens. Wickens is kept on as test driver to replace de la Rosa, who has announced he will only be racing for one year to help USF1 find their feet.

Livery: Red, white and blue, of course. The right sidepod is red, the left is blue and the monocoque is white, terminating in an arrowhead on the front wing (like one of the Le Mans cars this year).

-------

Virgin Manor-Cosworth
22 - Pastor Maldonado
23 - Adam Carroll

Virgin Manor becomes unoffically known as the Playboy Mansion, prompting Hugh Hefner to lend his magazine's name as a secondary sponsor. John Booth surprises all by signing two rookies, but the presence of Virgin has forged a relationship with Brawn GP, and it is believed Maldonado and Carroll come personally recommended by Ross Brawn himself. Maldonado proves to be a superstitious type and puts faith in his racing number as the car carrying the 22 has won the championship two years running.

Livery: Jet black, done to a matte finish. Looks very stealthy. Virgin name appears on red background on sidepods. As something of a novelty, the Virgin company sponsoring Manor changes every race.

-------

Prodrive Sauber-Mercedes
24 - Robert Kubica
25 - Bruno Senna

Peter Sauber is saved at the last minute by Dave Richards, and the two join forces to form Prodrive Sauber Sports. Robert Kubica was on the verge of signing a Renault contract when Ricahrds convinced him to stay after Renault are found guilty of cheating at Singapore in 2008. Partnered with Bruno Senna, the team attracts a lot of attention, not least of all because of thei eye-catching livery.

Livery: Gulf. That is all.

-------

Epsilon-Renault
26 - Nick Heidfeld
27 - Romain Grosjan

Renault is humiliated after being found guilty of cheating in 2008; Flavio Briatore is banned for life. Stripped of their 2009 points, they have the ignomity of running the numbers 26 and 27. Renault withdraw shortly thereafter and sell the team to Epsilon Euskadi. They do maintain a presence as an engine supplier, and Epsilon becomes the unofficial Renault works team. Needing money, they sign French insurance group Matmut where they beocme known as Team Warhol after the famous painter given their abstract livery. When Robert Kubica backs out of negotiations, Epsilon take Nick Heidfeld instead.

Livery: The Matmut 'patchwork'. It becomes notorious as the latest in a string of ugly liveries for the team.

-------

I seem to have made a very brightly-coloured grid ...

EDIT: I cannot get an image with this and I do not speak Italian, but this is an interview with Luca and I am told that at the end he says there will be no Alonso at Ferrari in 2010.

1087039-riveting_tale_chap_super.jpg

Here's my take on it all. It'll never happen, but as has been said, it's fun to speculate:

:bowdown:

I'm really liking your Brawn Prediction. Nico Rosberg needs to be in a winning car. He has what it takes and I believe brawn will be the spot for him to shine.

I think he spent WAY too much time at Williams. You can just go back and look at how Nico demolished his teammates week in and week out.

I'm already getting all fizzed up for 2010!!

BrawnGP:
Jenson Button
Kovalainen

RBR:
Sebastien Vettel
Mark Webber

Toyota:
Timo Glock
Nick Heidfeld

Ferrari:
Fernando Alonso
Kimi Raikkonen

Williams:
Robert Kubica
Nico Hulkenburg

McLaren:
Lewis Hamilton
Nico Rosberg

Renault:
Banned/withdrawn

STR:
Sebastien Buemi
Jaime Alguersari

Force India:
Adrian Sutil
Tonio Liuzzi

USF1:
Other than guessing two drivers who are not American, not really sure.

Campos:
Rubens Barrichello
no idea

Manor:
Anthony Davidson
Bruno Senna

I'd also add that I cant see Massa racing next season, hence he will be the driver replaced by Alonso at Ferrari

You're going to be kicking yourself if every call I make turns out to be true.

What you said, with all that detail, it seems like you were there already. That post is probably the best post i've seen in the 6 months i've spent viewing the F1 forum. It needs to be published. If it all plays out like that, you are my hero.

Well, as soon as I see a black border like that, I tend to see someone taking the mickey. I am a writer, after all, so it seemed like a natural way of doing things ...

I can't really make a full lineup prediction but I can add a bit. The current driver lineup -Fisichella +Senna, Hulkenberg, some american drivers, Coulthard might, and possibly Sato (or villineuve:lol:)

Well, as soon as I see a black border like that, I tend to see someone taking the mickey. I am a writer, after all, so it seemed like a natural way of doing things ...

I think some of your predictions are spot on - others however seem like pure fantasy...

Either way though - it was a good story!!

C.

Have I never noticed this - but do they never run the 13 number in F1?!

C.
It's funny that thirteen is such a superstitious number (though in Italy, they don't use seventeen because seventeen in Roman numerals is XVII, and anagram of VIXI, which is Latin for "I have seen" or "I have died". True story.); it's actually a pretty good idicator of whch teams are doing well and which aren't. Any team that carries the numbers one to twelve did well in the previous season; anyone who carries fourteen and beyond didn't.

It's funny that thirteen is such a superstitious number (though in Italy, they don't use seventeen because seventeen in Roman numerals is XVII, and anagram of VIXI, which is Latin for "I have seen" or "I have died". True story.); it's actually a pretty good idicator of whch teams are doing well and which aren't. Any team that carries the numbers one to twelve did well in the previous season; anyone who carries fourteen and beyond didn't.

Not entirely true, because the numbers 1 and 2 go with the champion, and he may move to a backender team (Hill to Arrows for example). So the numbers aren't entirely a good indicator of who did well, but generally speaking they are.

A small revival to this thread:

Just a little information about a countryman, Bertrand Baguette, who has won the World Series by Renault championship at the Nurburgring has thus will recieve an F1 test at Renault. He also says he already is talking with all three new teams for a seat. The only problem will be the money to actually get the seat, which he is gathering now. I can tell you this: Baguette is the only Belgian to win such a prestigious championshap after Jackie Ickx, many many years ago. If he does get a seat, it'd be awesome to finally see another Belgian in F1 after Bas Leinders' very short career as a test driver at Minardi...

There are 4 new teams ;)

There are quite a few drivers who are getting tests and there's plenty of potential in junior categories. As I've said in the Formula 2 thread though, I hope none of those F2 drivers get a race seat, they just aren't good enough, Andy Soucek won that title pretty easily just from experience.

Hulkenburg will surely get a seat. Petrov should too. Brendon Hartley is another likely candidate.

Apparently Lotus will be announcing drivers soon.

Either Raikkonen or Massa has to go, and I reckon it will be Raikkonen. There was talk that he might go back to McLaren, and certainly Kovalainen would be the one to be dropped...

Hmmmmm..... Iceman and Princess, in one team.

Interesting concept.

I don't know ... LdM isn't giving anything away. He never directly references Alonso; even when he does it indirectly, he phrases it as a question. We don't even know if he's talking about Alonso. For all I can tell, Ferrari are only just beginning to consider Raikkonen's position with them. LdM strikes me as being a very good poker player. He says a lot and tells us absolutely nothing.

Luca di Montezemolo just confirmed Kimi and Massa will be driving for Ferrari next year in an interview with Marca.

Edit: He also said Alonso to Brawn... take it all with a grain of salt. Or two.

Last edited:
Luca di Montezemolo just confirmed Kimi and Massa will be driving for Ferrari next year in an interview with Marca.

Edit: He also said Alonso to Brawn... take it all with a grain of salt. Or two.

Marca? Wait...the same damn newspaper said in July that Alonso's contract with Ferrari was already made?
I guess they just took the interview from another newspaper. I mean...Marca, announcing TRUE news about F1? HAHAHAHAHA! Take it with the whole bag of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back