Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
Not that I have my own opinion on this, but I am wondering what has lead you to this as a feasible conclusion? Beyond, that is, the idea that anything is possible.

More or less that anything could be possible.

I would not think this likely either... but I never thought 80% of the cars would be GT4 ports either...

I was under the impression this (and the other B-Spec screens) were all mock-ups. That exact scene shows up in the PSP intro.

I thought the PSP intro was done using GT5 graphics engine?

Big deal! They will drive, sound, and feel just like the premium cars. Am I the only one who appreciates these particular aspects, or are people really only bothered about how they look and the related cockpits (or lack thereof)?

I am with you here. Way too many amazing cars to pass up just because they aren't visually photo realistic premium status. I'm bothered about no cockpit view but I learned to accept it and move on.

Anyway, it's somewhat of a safe assumption to say standards will work on the new physics, but that's not confirmed. I'm playing it safe and waiting before drawing any final conclusions about the physics.

According to the official UK playstation magazine the standard cars will use the new physics. Im fairly sure this is correct because they were right about the Go karts, track creator.

I thought the PSP intro was done using GT5 graphics engine?

Doh, yeah, that it was.

As for the physics engine, I'm sure the Standards use the same one as the Premiums (it'd be silly to have two separate physics engines in the game), I just wonder if Standards make due with less variables than Premiums. Or if they've had those values suitably penciled in. Nobody knows, but I'd be curious, because it is a safe assumption that the new physics engine is larger and more complicated than GT4's.

Doh, yeah, that it was.

Then why would reflections be different?

I just wonder if Standards make due with less variables than Premiums. Or if they've had those values suitably penciled in.

Essentially, unless PD went on and worked on those missing variables and possibly even adjusted existing ones, Standards will be running in "compatibility mode", so to speak.

Then why would reflections be different?

I guess they wouldn't be, then. I mistakenly thought that image (and therefore the PSP intro) were from a modified GT4 engine and not a fresh GT5 one. Which is disappointing because that image doesn't look very good compared to this generations standards, to me anyways. :-|.

Essentially, unless PD went on and worked on those missing variables and possibly even adjusted existing ones, Standards will be running in "compatibility mode", so to speak.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. As long as the incessant understeer and the low-speed physics are fixed though, I really won't mind the act of driving the Standards, at any rate.

I am with you here. Way too many amazing cars to pass up just because they aren't visually photo realistic premium status. I'm bothered about no cockpit view but I learned to accept it and move on.

I love the look look and feel of cockpit view, but do to its constraints, that is the actual field of view (without the use of multiple screens), it wears a bit thin at times. I'd still love its option in all car models, but its lack won't keep me up at night. Don't get me wrong, it completely ads to the realism and immersion, I just wish I had multiple screens and PS3s (and the money to go with it) or a way around the limitation. :)

****! i'd never tought they look so bad. Just terrible. Really hope they don't mix those crappy models with premium cars, the'll look even worse.

I seriously doubt it. After all, they're segregated into separate garages; this can only mean they will, mercifully, also be segregated at the track.

They are standard cars, but this image does not show GT5 gameplay. The menus are edited into the image.

^ We don't know how much of the game can be completed without touching the recycleds. I bet we'll find out though, because at least one member here will be trying to do it.

Will be interesting to see the results. The game will probably be completably without using the standard cars. Somehow I can't see the license tests using standard cars.

I was under the impression this (and the other B-Spec screens) were all mock-ups. That exact scene shows up in the PSP intro.

Not all of them were mockups. The only one that wasn't was the one showing the SLS AMG. I'm not sure we have seen an updated version of Suzuka since Prologue. It's not been in any of the demos. We know that it has been modified/renovated in the past couple of years. So presumably it's not complete yet (Or they're holding it back for TGS?), so they used older shots.

I'm not sure that the GTPSP trailer used GT5 assets. The Graphics Engine was built on that of GT4. I think they were just rendered to a very high level. The GTPSP shot of the Corvette ZR1 (Which is a premium car in GT5) shows a noticeable difference (Not in the model, in the lighting. And most obviously, the background).

http://i25.tinypic.com/2e17iow.jpg

I love the look look and feel of cockpit view, but do to its constraints, that is the actual field of view (without the use of multiple screens), it wears a bit thin at times. I'd still love its option in all car models, but its lack won't keep me up at night. Don't get me wrong, it completely ads to the realism and immersion, I just wish I had multiple screens and PS3s (and the money to go with it) or a way around the limitation. :)

100% with you there, i'm very dissapointed but i'll learn to drive in another view. GT is going to be the greatest after all!

No you're not, but you forget that people are concerned or in casual cases curious about the differences between standard and premium cars. We havent seen any solid gameplay of standard cars which affects judgement.

Crossing my fingers for some standard car info and gameplay and TGS, but I won't hold my breath.

100% with you there, i'm very dissapointed but i'll learn to drive in another view. GT is going to be the greatest after all!

I can honestly say that I have not played any vehicle related game as entertaining or enjoyable as the Gran Turismo series. I enjoy others (rFactor, Richard Burns Rally), but I really appreciate and fancy the GT structure and career mode.

yeah, i'd like some more info on the standard cars. I am going to miss driver's view if it's not there. GT is always going to be my choice though, as you say. I think the cars have a great feel to them.

Sorry for us...
it's a shame not having cockpit view for all car's, for me is a big loss this confirmation, most of sim games have this (even older's) and is a must have for all sim racing games. if not what is the sim view you could use? bump view again? 👎

Sorry for us...
it's a shame not having cockpit view for all car's, for me is a big loss this confirmation, most of sim games have this (even older's) and is a must have for all sim racing games. if not what is the sim view you could use? bump view again? 👎

i feel your pain but i'm willing to play it anyway because it's gt5

I'm not going to buy the game new because of this massive massive cockpit disappointment, and because I feel mislead by the hype machine. I'll pick up the game second hand somewhere, but I won't be there on release day.

I'm frustrated about this, and the fanboys (if you're insulted by my using this word, then maybe you might be one) for thinking this is acceptable for a top of the line 5 years in development would-be masterpiece, and I don't want to directly support GT/Sony/Polyphony for letting a lot of its fans down so much.

I'm not going to buy the game new because of this massive massive cockpit disappointment, and because I feel mislead by the hype machine. I'll pick up the game second hand somewhere, but I won't be there on release day.

I'm frustrated about this, and the fanboys (if you're insulted by my using this word, then maybe you might be one) for thinking this is acceptable for a top of the line 5 years in development would-be masterpiece, and I don't want to directly support GT/Sony/Polyphony for letting a lot of its fans down so much.

I think Its acceptable to expect the recreation of BBQ smells on nunburgring, never mind you missing a huge piece of game

You do realize that you can be disappointed in what has not been managed and still accept the product for what has been accomplished. While there are instances that are regrettable, there are also many inclusions that place GT5 beyond my personal expectations.

You've entered a thread and insinuated that we are fanboys if we choose to buy the game on release day, and/or feel the game to be "acceptable."

If you wish to punish a company for letting you down, then by all means do, however, why come here and insult those who may share some of your pain, but do not accept your manufactured punishment?

How about this instead:

"GT5 and PD/Sony's let downs are more than I can handle. In protest, I will not be purchasing this game upon release day or new for that matter."

I'll like to see you try to model 1000+ 500,000 polygon cars inside and out and model 70+ tracks, an advanced A.I. system, physics engine, programing code for the PS3 CELL, travel the world and get partners for your game, make an advanced deep career A Spec- B Spec mode with WRC and NASCAR, damage system, skid-marks and smoke physics calculations, and not have any mishaps during production, the list goes further and you shouldn't be Punishing over an simple camera view in a racing game, especially when it has been the same 4-5 camera views since the beginning of the series.:)

I'll like to see you try to model 1000+ 500,000 polygon cars inside and out and model 70+ tracks, an advanced A.I. system, physics engine, programing code for the PS3 CELL, travel the world and get partners for your game, make an advanced deep career A Spec- B Spec mode with WRC and NASCAR, damage system, skid-marks and smoke physics calculations, and not have any mishaps during production, the list goes further and you shouldn't be Punishing over an simple camera view in a racing game, especially when it has been the same 4-5 camera views since the beginning of the series.:)

Give me $80 million dollars, 5 iterations of the same game experience to build off of, extensive experience in the game building world, support from a major corporate entitye (Sony) for having a flagship product for one of their biggest lines and partnerships/postive relations with a lot of car companies and half a decade and I wouldn't be too surprised if I pull it off.

Oh and if I introduce said camera view touting it as being an awesome new feature (despite the fact that games have had cockpit view for years) the competition pretty much consistently has that view and them my product suddenly only has that view in 20% of the cars... well yeah I will be pretty embarrassed. And I wouldn't be caught dead making excuses like "it wasn't there before and you liked the game then!" because I would think my customers would want new features in a new game, not excuses about how the new game doesn't have the same features the old games didn't... that on top of the fact my last game did have that feature and pushed it's value pretty heavily.

And I certainly wouldn't say I felt I was 90% of where I wanted to be...

Seriously the request to "do it better or shutup!" is just ridiculous... I don't have to be a hall of famer football player to spot a QB throwing across his body off his back foot, I don't have to be an emmy award winning movie producer to say a movie was boring or sucked and I don't have to be the best video game producer out there to say a video game has issues. Or do you think all those guys who review games for a living could make perfect 10 games and that's why they are allowed to say some games are poor?

If you wish to punish a company for letting you down, then by all means do, however, why come here and insult those who may share some of your pain, but do not accept your manufactured punishment?

I would think because the ones he is talking about, don't share his pain, or at least claim not to, which is pretty much counterproductive to the feedback cycle of consumer and producer and working to get quality products we will buy?

How about this instead:

"GT5 and PD/Sony's let downs are more than I can handle. In protest, I will not be purchasing this game upon release day or new for that matter."

You could ask the same of all those who come here and complain that people aren't being positive and appreciative of all PD has done. Why don't they just say "I personally do not find issue with what GT5 is shaping up to be and will be happily placing a pre order."

Last edited:
You could ask the same of all those who come here and complain that people aren't being positive and appreciative of all PD has done. Why don't they just say "I personally do not find issue with what GT5 is shaping up to be and will be happily placing a pre order."

Actually, I took issue with his definition of GT fanboy. GT dissidents and dissent itself play a major role in shaping the voice of dissatisfaction and relaying it to PD/Sony, but pissing on other folks via a personally narrow definition of fanboy (one that would include practically everyone at GTP) just isn't a fruitful venture and doesn't lend credence to any argument.

I tend to be a bit more critical of the side of the dialogue with whom I share sympathies. Let the blissful ones shoot themselves in the foot with their obvious irrationality, but don't allow their stink to to penetrate your argument.

Back