Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
I think it would be funny when you play the game.

Imagine you drive premium car and opponents drive standard car.
When you crash with standard car, your car wreck but nothing happen to standard car....

When you watch the replay, you can see inside of the premium car, but with standard car. it's only tinted glass.

Hilarious :rolleyes: :P

I dunno, I'll definitely notice it, and it might be a bit jarring at times, but it is only superficial. I keep saying it, but it's the unannounced features I'm worried about.

By the way, I definitely do have too much time on my hands. :)

Some people have to many time on their hands. Repeating the same thing over and over again...

Thats the natural progession of most threads, but if you think about its also a lot like racing.

You keep running laps around and around the same course.

I predict we will have a caution flag Nov 2nd/3rd and then we will be off racing again.

So much EMO in this thread

We should all put on pink polos and get matching pink unicorn tattoos with GT5 written across it's backside.

I can wait until GT6 for all premium cars and cockpit view. So NO big deal for me!

And when GT6 comes out and all we have is 400 premium cars, people will be crying that they want their 800 standard cars back.

If they give us at least 25 cars instead of 5 for a price of €5,- I'm happy with it. Maybe once in a while add a track.
On paper, if you take the 200 premium cars from a £40 RRP, it works out at at £0.20 per car. Obviously there is lot more to the game other than the premium cars, but let's say half of the dev time was spent modelling those. Now it's down to £0.10 per car.

In theory, you could argue that a 5 car pack should only cost £0.50, but there is one major flaw in that. 5 million copies of GT5 sold is 5 million lots of profit coming in. I don't know what the attach rate is typically for paid DLC, but I would guess it is low, maybe around 10 - 20% depending on the popularity of the franchise. Taking the lower estimate, that means they really need to charge ten times as much to get equivalent returns, so £0.50 becomes £5 for a 5 car pack, which is totally reasonable IMO.

I think PDLC for GT5 could exceed retail profits over the life of the game, and for very little extra effort in relative terms. All they need to do is model 5 new cars and put them up on PSN for people to download. One car pack at £5 represents around £2.5m in revenue, most of which is pure profit. With several car packs and maybe even whole new tracks...it's a license to print money. I dread to think how much PDLC has generated for something like LittleBigPlanet where there seems to be new costumes every week!

Sorry, but after being told I'd get 1000 cars and waiting for nearly 6 years and then to be told that in order to get 800 of them converted into premium will cost me $5 for 5 cars? Are you out of you mind? :crazy: That would mean that in order to have GT5 with all the cars premium, would cost me another $800! I'd seek mental health professional help if I even considered paying that for GT5 DLC. :ill:

I would not even entertain the idea of GT DLC at less than 50 standard to premium plus at least 1 completely new car thrown in. I also would not pay more than $10 per pack. Even then, one would pay another $160 just to play GT5 the way it was supposed to be in the first place. Even then it's a bit of a slap in the face of millions of GT fans, after all standard to premium DLC should be free, but it might work.

As for not many people buying the DLC? I don't believe that, I think, GT5 DLC would be the best selling DLC on any game, yet, providing the price is right.

I would think that as long as they gave you a choice on which cars you would want to download then i think it would be better as I dont see everyone buying all 800 cars.

even if they do packages of 5 cars.. as long as you can choose which ones you want.

£5 for five cars is a rip-off, no two ways about it. Slapping a bundle up on the PSN for a first-party developer represents next-to-no hassle and negligible cost.

Even scaling this to 99 pence for five cars takes the sting out of it, but it's still a piss-take.
Maybe charging per car would be better - that way you're not forced to buy five, or ten or however many a pack constitutes. You only buy the cars you want, at around 10 to 15 pence each. I think that's reasonable. People will probably buy more, over time, as a result, too. One here, a couple there - it all adds up.

Don't forget, sales will always be affected by the asking price, and it's not like demand will be an issue; certainly not supply, either.

If the "packs" (assuming we get them, and they're not free) cost too much, there's no way I'm setting up my account to buy them. This means I'll probably never buy other stuff, for other games, on a whim, either - whereas, if I'd set it up, I probably would! I'd say the "attachment rate" for my particular console, and its games, is very poor indeed. :D

Hmm, it'll be amazing, if we do get small DLC packs that cost a few dollars, to see how many people who were adamant a certain other game's DLC's were insane and complete rip-offs, line up to plunk money down for these ones.

If they do DLC car packs, turning Standards into Premiums (and/or turning newly-released cars into Premiums), I don't see them working on slowly turning the whole car roster over. Some of that will just be saved for the next game; I imagine we'd have DLC packs for a year or two, but after that, probably not. Say $5 for a pack of 10... and I might buy them, depending on a) how many packs there are, and b) the contents per pack.

The micro-transactions idea of small prices to buy any car individually is exactly what the community as a whole panned years ago when it was first suggested! It's like PD (and this board) is living in a time warp.

Sorry, but after being told I'd get 1000 cars and waiting for nearly 6 years and then to be told that in order to get 800 of them converted into premium will cost me $5 for 5 cars? Are you out of you mind? :crazy: That would mean that in order to have GT5 with all the cars premium, would cost me another $800! I'd seek mental health professional help if I even considered paying that for GT5 DLC. :ill:

I would not even entertain the idea of GT DLC at less than 50 standard to premium plus at least 1 completely new car thrown in. I also would not pay more than $10 per pack. Even then, one would pay another $160 just to play GT5 the way it was supposed to be in the first place. Even then it's a bit of a slap in the face of millions of GT fans, after all standard to premium DLC should be free, but it might work.

As for not many people buying the DLC? I don't believe that, I think, GT5 DLC would be the best selling DLC on any game, yet, providing the price is right.
Could you make your bitterness towards this premium/standard split any more obvious? You were told you'd be getting 1000 cars, and that is what you are getting.

As for asking if I am out of my mind. No, but it would seem you are if you think that a $10 pack should consist of a minimum of 50 cars. Just look at the price of DLC for other games...what makes you think GT will be any different?

Do some research on PDLC attach rate and you will find that my estimate was quite accurate.
£5 for five cars is a rip-off, no two ways about it. Slapping a bundle up on the PSN for a first-party developer represents next-to-no hassle and negligible cost.

Even scaling this to 99 pence for five cars takes the sting out of it, but it's still a piss-take.
Of course it's little hassle, why do you think they do it and charge as much as they can? They know that even if just 10% of people buy it, it represents potentially millions in extra revenue.

How much of a rip-off it is really depends on (apart from personal opinion) a combination of the price and the manner in which they make them available. If new premium cars (not remakes of standard) cost 99 pence but are made available individually, I don't have a problem with that price. If they end up sold in packs of 5, I might only like one or two of the cars in that pack and that's when the value starts to go down.

Just look at the price of costumes in LittleBigPlanet. Often £1.59 for a single costume and some stickers. Like it or not, that's just how it is, and GT5 will be no different I'm sure. In comparison to LBP, if a premium car did cost just 99 pence, that would be much better value for money, but do not be surprised to see more elaborate cars go for £1.99 or even £2.99. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't see much point in converting the rest of 800 cars. After 6 years they have 200 premium cars. Do the math and realise it's not possible and pretty silly to remake cars from before 2005 for the next three decades - I'm exaggerating, of course - whilst ignoring future models that people will want to drive.

I don't see much point in converting the rest of 800 cars. After 6 years they have 200 premium cars. Do the math and realise it's not possible and pretty silly to remake cars from before 2005 for the next three decades - I'm exaggerating, of course - whilst ignoring future models that people will want to drive.
Me neither. Maybe do a few of the most requested, but for me, any DLC I buy will be stuff that adds content, not replaces it.

I think they will select each type of car model they wish to include into future GT release or possible DLC purely based on the merits of that specific car, not whether it was already available as Standard or produced before or after 2005 ( which, I know it was an exaggeration, would exclude all classic cars for example ).
I can see a few of then contemporary cars in GT4 not being replaced simply for not being that iconic or just forgotten ( not going into specifics ) but the fact a Golf Mk4 GTI ( not very recent or, arguably, that iconic ) is build as a Premium car in Prologue proves many probably will be rebuild ( or are intended to be rebuild ).
A few cars will be replaced by their ( future ) real life replacements perhaps and most iconic and classic Standard cars I expect and hope will be rebuild.
The choice perhaps also being dependant on whether the process of modelling the Premium cars can be speeded up by new developments or experience but I doubt it will be only newly released real life cars and iconic classic cars which will receive the Premium treatment from now on.

Last edited:
The DLC if there is any should be free. It is something that should have been in the game in the first place instead of some stupid photo mode that will be used once for five minutes. If they do release any dlc for cash fanboys will always buy it but it is just a sleazy way of trying to pluck more cash out of people. The whole dlc is out of hand to me anyways though, I can see the future being you pay 60 bucks for the most bare minimum a game can be but for hundreds of dollars more in dlc you can have a complete game (you know the ones people used to make).

It's funny that a game supported by micro transactions was thoroughly panned and hated on (hence why GT HD never came around officially) and yet here we have talk of people saying how it would be ok to pay up to 1 pound per car just to convert to premium? I mean I think FM DLC packs were too much and those were cars that at least weren't in the game at all yet...

OK, but for most people, there is 4-6 maybe more of their favorite cars that are standard. There are a few cars that are standard that would change the game for me if they were premium. I have no problem paying $5 or whatever to get a few of my favorite cars as premiums. Now, if someone bought like 20+ cars, that would be excessive, but for most people that isn't neccesary.

Is anybody thinking that all cars we've seen in GTHD will be premium ????
GranTurismoHD.jpg

Simple solutions.......
If you don't like the standard cars? Don't use them.
If you don't like the premium cars? Don't use them.
If you don't care about the differences in cars and just want to play the game? I'll see you online.
Feel that you waited 5 years for nothing? Don't buy the game.
End of discussion.

I believe that we won't be charged for DLC(If there is DLC). Remember GT5P? A simple update gave us new cars. I think standard cars will slowly be replaced with their premium versions throughout the lifespan of GT5 through updates. I'll be disappointed if we are charged for DLC. I haven't purchased any DLC this generation.

@okami11408
I'll be surprised if those cars aren't premium. You can clearly see the interiors and drivers in those cars.

Last edited:
Simple solutions.......
If you don't like the standard cars? Don't use them.
If you don't like the premium cars? Don't use them.
If you don't care about the differences in cars and just want to play the game? I'll see you online.
Feel that you waited 5 years for nothing? Don't buy the game.
Feel that DLC is a rip-off? Don't buy it.
End of discussion.
I totally agree, it really is as simple as that, although I added one more!
I believe that we won't be charged for DLC(If there is DLC). Remember GT5P? A simple update gave us new cars. I think standard cars will slowly be replaced with their premium versions throughout the lifespan of GT5 through updates. I'll be disappointed if we are charged for DLC. I haven't purchased any DLC this generation.
Will they slowly replace all 800 standard cars with premium versions during the lifespan of GT5? I doubt it, and if they did, would it all be free? I doubt it.

If I were responsible for it, here is what I would do regarding the cars:

• Release new premium car models individually as paid DLC
  • Create car packs so that people can buy a few at once and save money
  • Reach out to the fans and hold votes on which standards should be converted to premium for GT5
  • Release a few of those chosen cars as free upgrade packs as a good-will gesture
  • In the background, work on converting most/all of the 800 standards into premiums for release with GT6
This way you keep the game fresh with new cars, you involve the fans for their favourite standard-to-premium conversions, and you leave masses of updated content available for GT6.

In addition to new cars, tracks and features, millions of people would buy GT6 just to have everything premium. X million people buying GT6 is X million lots of profit, which is far more appealing to them as developers compared to releasing 800 "conversions" for free over the lifetime of the game.

This isn't directed at anybody in particular, but you guys really need to stop acting like PD owe you something. The only thing they will owe you is a copy of the game if/when you hand over your money, but by the sounds of it, lots of people will not be bother with GT5 because of this standard/premium split and potentially rip-off DLC, right? :rolleyes:

Stop hoping for standard to premium DLC. If you do the math you will find that it is not likely. Lets say that it takes 3 months to convert(originally build premium cars take 6) and there are 40 modelers on the team. It would take exactly 5 years to accomplish this feat and this is assuming they do not model any new cars for gt6 in that given time frame. So this what if discussion about converting most or all cars is pointless because its not likely. I just like everyone else wanted all the cars to be of the same high quality, but it was just not possible due to the amount of time required. It is a true feat that PD has been able to model 200 premium cars.

Well, Mr Frappy I don't know about you sire, but I will be buying GT5, it is my choice. Whether I buy DLC is my choice. I believe the pricing as you may imagine it is pretty shocking, to be honest. I haven't been on here moaning or whining like you say. I've only recently joined and if fact think that for better or worst GT5 will still be the best driving game on the PS3.

On the other hand, you seem to go out of your way to complain about all the complainers on this this thread. The irony is thick...

Back