Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
Accept it because it is reality.

Definitely accept it - it is reality, not arguable.

Don't be happy about it just because it's reality though...

If you are in prison and it's "date night" and Bubba outweighs you by 100 lbs, you better accept reality. But I sure wouldn't be happy about it...

Definitely accept it - it is reality, not arguable.

Don't be happy about it just because it's reality though...

If you are in prison and it's "date night" and Bubba outweighs you by 100 lbs, you better accept reality. But I sure wouldn't be happy about it...

HAAAAAAAAAAAA:sly:

Accept it because it is reality.

That's all you got to say after I questioned your statement?
This always happens when someone comes in here telling us the reasons why they think cockpit view is irrelevant and we should all stop whining about it and, oh they don't use it themselves so it doesn't bother them.
You try to question this argument and all they can muster is, get over it or accept it because it's a reality, duh!:dunce:
That's a no brainer frankly and very easy to say if it doesn't concern your way of playing the game.
Oh, yes the evergreen classic, if you don't like it don't buy it we also haven't heard before.
Change the record please...........

So, now that Kaz has said they tried to do something for the cockpits of the standard cars, and it's been shot down, at what point is complaining no longer justified? When do you stop... or cross over in to whining? Must be getting awfully close.

Last edited:
That's all you got to say after I questioned your statement?
This always happens when someone comes in here telling us the reasons why they think cockpit view is irrelevant and we should all stop whining about it and, oh they don't use it themselves so it doesn't bother them.
You try to question this argument and all they can muster is, get over it or accept it because it's a reality, duh!:dunce:

That's my whole point. Eventually it is reality, and you can do nothing about it, and your whining become nothing but a nuisance to your fellow forum members.

It may not be justification to you, but there is good reason to have the standard cars, the way ther are, sans cockpit, even if that reason doesn't apply to you, as a cockpit view user. You're getting 200 of the best models ever done, and that's already not good enough. That's a pretty childish attitude.

"They should have, could have, would have's" are irrelevant.

So, now that Kaz has said they tried to do something for the cockpits of the standard cars, and it's been shot down, at what point is complaining no longer justified? When do you stop... orcross over in to whining? Must be getting awfully close.

I'm not complaining anymore and can see it's pointless anyway but you are the one who came here to say we should be satisfied as it is, whilst at the same time saying it doesn't bother you and coming up with reasons why which aren't shared by those who do like cockpit view.
I just questioned the motives you had for making these rather obvious, heard before many times, and frankly pointless statements ( in the context of knowing it isn't a choice ) and then being again accused of being a whiner.
It's the ones who aren't bothered who constantly repeat the same cliche "arguments" in a rather misguided attempt to settle this debate it seems whilst not realising these arguments may not be persuasive to those who enjoy this view for another set of reasons.
It is a personal preference not even decided by pure reasoning so any attempt to do so only triggers this debate again.:indiff:

That's my whole point. Eventually it is reality, and you can do nothing about it, and your whining become nothing but a nuisance to your fellow forum members.

It may not be justification to you, but there is good reason to have the standard cars, the way ther are, sans cockpit, even if that reason doesn't apply to you, as a cockpit view user. You're getting 200 of the best models ever done, and that's already not good enough. That's a pretty childish attitude.

"They should have, could have, would have's" are irrelevant.

Just as irrelevant and childish as telling us this feature is irrelevant and its absence doesn't concern you?
To me the endless repeat button used by those who feel the need to use the same tiresome arguments to persuade us to wake up and smell the coffee and accept it as it is, which is up to me to decide myself thank you very much, is even more of a nuisance.
Just a question of perception I guess.

Last edited:
I'm not complaining anymore and can see it's pointless anyway but you are the one who came here to say we should be satisfied as it is, whilst at the same time saying it doesn't bother you and coming up with reasons why which aren't shared by those who do like cockpit view.
I just questioned the motives you had for making these rather obvious, heard before many times, and frankly pointless statements ( in the context of knowing it isn't a choice ) and then being again accused of being a whiner.
It's the ones who aren't bothered who constantly repeat the same cliche "arguments" in a rather misguided attempt to settle this debate it seems whilst not realising these arguments may not be persuasive to those who enjoy this view for another set of reasons.
It is a personal preference not even decided by pure reasoning so any attempt to do so only triggers this debate again.:indiff:

You just mentioned yourself that WesWelker's post was extreme. That's where my post was directed. You're far more guilty than I am of repeating this argument ad nauseum.

The thread is 'standard vs. premium', and I was offering valid reasons why PD would include those cars the way they are. On topic, is it not?

This thread is funny sometimes....:)

Devedander I found something that you may want to know,Open GL ES its the language where PS3 software is develop,I was making some research and it turns out that is a quite different from traditional languages like C++ and php,because it used by games like uncharted and killzone to manage the graphical segment of the game,also this language is more dificult to program and script,they must have a compiler(obviously) but it makes this process longer that it should be,this got me thinking about the 1000 scripted cars and the system that they use to give the values,its on the GT engine this has to be tweak to perform with more heavier HD graphics,(that chrome texture its not easy for open GL ) and this may cause some delays on the production process,and yes I know that we are discussing mainly the 3D objects but at least take some consideration of these facts at the time of judging,here its an example of the Open GL ES:

http://www.webreference.com/programming/opengl_es/Example2-1.txt

I have consider this language as something hard to use,specially when they went from traditional C on the PS2 to PS3 development.

well I went to technical this time but keep in mind what I just said

You just mentioned yourself that WesWelker's post was extreme. That's where my post was directed. You're far more guilty than I am of repeating this argument ad nauseum.

The thread is 'standard vs. premium', and I was offering valid reasons why PD would include those cars the way they are. On topic, is it not?

I agree that post was extreme and rather inappropriate, at least something we can find some common ground, for the rest let's just agree to disagree for now.

Last edited:
This thread is funny sometimes....:)

Devedander I found something that you may want to know,Open GL ES its the language where PS3 software is develop,I was making some research and it turns out that is a quite different from traditional languages like C++ and php,because it used by games like uncharted and killzone to manage the graphical segment of the game,also this language is more dificult to program and script,they must have a compiler(obviously) but it makes this process longer that it should be,this got me thinking about the 1000 scripted cars and the system that they use to give the values,its on the GT engine this has to be tweak to perform with more heavier HD graphics,(that chrome texture its not easy for open GL ) and this may cause some delays on the production process,and yes I know that we are discussing mainly the 3D objects but at least take some consideration of these facts at the time of judging,here its an example of the Open GL ES:

http://www.webreference.com/programming/opengl_es/Example2-1.txt

I have consider this language as something hard to use,specially when they went from traditional C on the PS2 to PS3 development.

well I went to technical this time but keep in mind what I just said

OpenGL is just a language for handling the graphics extensions only - it has some other uses, but that's really all there is to it. I think I'm right in saying that OpenGL ES has been merged into OpenGL proper now anyway. It's the open-source equivalent of something like DirectX; and, in fact, OpenGL came first ;)

The API / extensions used really have no effect on the assets themselves, only the on-screen display of those assets, marginally. The game itself could well be coded in C++, not that it matters, since it's all compiled down to machine code anyway.

OpenGL is just a language for handling the graphics extensions only - it has some other uses, but that's really all there is to it. I think I'm right in saying that OpenGL ES has been merged into OpenGL proper now anyway. It's the open-source equivalent of something like DirectX; and, in fact, OpenGL came first ;)

The API / extensions used really have no effect on the assets themselves, only the on-screen display of those assets, marginally. The game itself could well be coded in C++, not that it matters, since it's all compiled down to machine code anyway.

Yep Open GL has more time in the business and its mainly used in linux platforms,the PS3 is suppose to be programmed as it was linux(or something like that),and the process of using open GL which makes the coding a bit(not much) harder,which I do think affects the production segment, although they could coded in C++ I don't think that those light effects were based on this code.

anyway just a thought,still we loose the amazing AE86 cockpit :sly: .

How about see what DLC they offer to us, and exactly how many or which cars exactly have the 'cockpit view'? Kaz already said it won't take as long to come out with GT6 as it did with GT5, so anyone complaining about having 'only' 200 some cars with a steering wheel view that's pretty unrealistic (from a driving point of view) in itself can think about that.

I'm not concerned with the view points in the cars as much as I am with the customization differences (if any) between standard and premium. I think this is what will be the big difference. I think Premium cars will be the one's we can customize, say with body parts and such, or race conversion. Hopefully it's not just limited to the premiums, but I expect it to be that way.

Well i just hope that the almost 200 premium cars will be worth it.

For me, I think all cars will be worth it, every single one will use the same physics engine. Also explain on what do you mean by "worth it".

How about see what DLC they offer to us, and exactly how many or which cars exactly have the 'cockpit view'? Kaz already said it won't take as long to come out with GT6 as it did with GT5, so anyone complaining about having 'only' 200 some cars with a steering wheel view that's pretty unrealistic (from a driving point of view) in itself can think about that.

I'm not concerned with the view points in the cars as much as I am with the customization differences (if any) between standard and premium. I think this is what will be the big difference. I think Premium cars will be the one's we can customize, say with body parts and such, or race conversion. Hopefully it's not just limited to the premiums, but I expect it to be that way.

Here's the thing;

In Prologue - you have cockpit view in all cars.
In GT PSP, there's a cockpit view for all cars.

Now, why would you remove this feature instead of evolving it? Sure, some may think it's a novelty, but others do not and use this view for realism. A certain racing wheel, fender flair, spoiler - those do not affect how you view the game. By removing the cockpit 'view feature' PD is, in effect, changing how we can play the game.

That's huge.

People like choices. How else would you explain 1000+ cars and God-knows how many tracks? How do you explain a track creator and all the forms of motorsport represented in GT5? People like choices...which is why it's mind-boggling that a view feature is removed for 4 of 5 cars in a game that's touted as a 'real driving simulator'.

Something's fishy. No way do you spend that long on a game and remove that when it's available in Prologue, PSP, and every other racing game on the shelf. It's like offering a top-tier luxury saloon with a monster engine, lux interior, and every cutting edge technology known to man...but having cassette player. It doesn't seem right and sticks out like a sore thumb. Sure, you may listen to talk radio -or- and Ipod...but still, who on Earth would pay BMW M6 money for a car w/a cassette player?

The devil is in the details. If something as large as cockpit view has been removed/left out - what else has? What other expected details, large or small, will be left out?

Kaz was just asked about a GTPSP type cockpit workaround, by the GTP members that got to interview him in Germany. He says they tried that, but they scrapped it.

It's always been over 200 cars.

Kaz was just asked about a GTPSP type cockpit workaround, by the GTP members that got to interview him in Germany. He says they tried that, but they scrapped it.

It's always been over 200 cars.

No it hasn't.

It would be challenging to do a poll with so many cars. Maybe we can divide them up by era and PD can model the top 10 cars of each era or something. I doubt PD will hire more modelers because it seems as though they like to keep a small team(small by today's standards at least) because it makes them feel like family, but it would be nice if they did.

A poll for which standards get turned into premiums? What would happen is that we would have the fastest cars getting all the votes, so Bugatti Veyron(if its standard) will become premium, while something else that's not as fast but much better to drive and better looking, won't.

A poll for which standards get turned into premiums? What would happen is that we would have the fastest cars getting all the votes, so Bugatti Veyron(if its standard) will become premium, while something else that's not as fast but much better to drive and better looking, won't.

Well, it would only be fair to give the majority what they want. It would be a better business decision for Sony and PD to satisfy the desires of majority. If you had a group of 10 kids and 8 of them wanted to go to Mcdonalds and 2 wanted to go to Burger King, which would you take them to? The reality is that not everyone can be satisfied. So catering to the majority is the closest one can get to accomplishing such a feat. Also, I believe the Veyron is a premium because I seen a pic of it on this forum somewhere, plus it was modeled well after gt4.

Last edited:
NoxNoctis Umbra
For me, I think all cars will be worth it, every single one will use the same physics engine. Also explain on what do you mean by "worth it".
Exactly. It's got to a point where all some people care about is how the cars look and the fact that they can't have their beloved cockpit view on 800 of them. As you say, they all use the same physics engine, and for me, the game is all about driving cars around stunning tracks.
Peter
If a Veyron is standard and a poll revealed that to be the most popular request for conversion, what's the problem? So you disagree and vote for something else. No point crying over it just because the majority of people disagreed with you.

Back