your view on drifting

• Thread starter mrginge
  • 59 comments
United Kingdom
stoke on trent
mr-ginge_89
I am learning to drift with wheel and pedals an I wanted to see peoples views on using a 4wd car for drifting. Would you class these as drifts or do you prefere the rwd cars ?

mrginge
I am learning to drift with wheel and pedals an I wanted to see peoples views on using a 4wd car for drifting. Would you class these as drifts or do you prefere the rwd cars ?

What wheel are you using?

And to be flat out honest with you. I don't care if you use a 4wd car. As long in a tandem you don't hit me.

I will however tell you depending on what you are wanting to do in the drifting community. You might want to try drifting RWD cars. You will get a lot further in the community. The reason I say this is most of the drifting community follows the real life FD (Formula Drift) and D1GP rules. Which in those AWD/4WD cars are not allowed. Just wanting to tell you that if you plan to eventually join drifting competitions and teams in the drifting community. Which once again most if not all teams go but this too.

Plus with a RWD car you will feel more in your wheel. Seems like having a 4wd would have better feeling but it is the opposite. Trust me.

Also you might want to move this thread to the drifting sub-form. You will get more feedback there

I've drifted 4WD a fair bit now on the wheel and I find it very difficult, but once you get the hang of it they're a great bit of fun.

However, because of that difficulty curve it means that quite often people are terrible at drifting them, so naturally people become distrustful of 4WD drifters or even disassociate themselves from them completely.

I guess it depends on the circles you're in, if you really don't want to 'conform to the norm' then I would suggest you find a group of people that appreciate 4WD drifting.

As Lock says, drifting in a RWD has a lot more feel so you'd be better off switching drive trains, but it's up to you at the end of the day. You just need to understand the stigma and the common view towards 4WD and accept that you won't fit into a lot of rooms/leagues.

RWD all the way. 4wd vehicles really only pull themselves out of a slide, rather than "drift". Hence their popularity in rallying, they came in and dominated rallying because they could slide through the entry of a corner, and get out the other side a lot faster with their superior traction.

For drifting, the whole point of the exercise is to maintain the loss of traction into, through and out of the corner. This is much easier to do in a rear-wheel drive car. I'd suggest starting with something fairly small and low powered, like an MX5 with a few mods (LSD, bit more power).

My view on drifting. Love it every now and then.
Has to be FR though. You learn nothing with AWD.

My view when drifting, out the side window :sly:

If you wanna drift with AWD/4WD, set the VCD so that the maximum power goes to the rear wheels, that way it'll almost feel like a RWD car.

Here's me attempting to drift a scooby in GT5 Prologue. It's more like a bit of power sliding than proper drifting though.

I drift both and have been for 2 years. I am not one of those "4WD is not drifting" elitists/purists. I love my Evo VIII RS. Set the power 90% to the rear and strap on some Comfort Hards.

^ Nice drift lap with the WRX, very clean.

I love drifting, it dosnt matter what the car is to me. If I can drift it Ill have fun with it. In my opinion, some of the more fun cars to drift are the Ford RS200 and the Peugeot 205 Turbo 16. I can understand why people would not want to tandem with AWD/MR or oddball cars in competition though since they take different lines and have different speeds. To me though drifting is all about fun and not being competitive so to me if it slides its all good.

^ Nice drift lap with the WRX, very clean.

Thanks! I can't actually drift at all in RWD cars, & that was the one & only lap I ever put in without crashing out. The main focus was on being clean & smooth so that it looked good in the replay, (I used a Logitech DF Pro Wheel). I gave up drifting in 2009 after months of trying & failing badly!

:dopey:

I don't understand drifting. Therefore I don't participate. It isn't that I have anything against it or see anything wrong with it. I'm an old dude and I just don't get it.

Well being within this drifting community alot of teams in are drifting community are biast and they think there s:censored: don't stink!

And drifting RWD all the time gets old after two years. So I use MR as much as possible but its hard to get them acepted in comps and such.

I personally do not have a problem with 4wd drifters as long as they can tandem and not run me over, or just try to get fast lap times and always gotta have comfort hards on. Anything else is touge in my book.

(Prodigy Drift Team)

Robbyelder
Well being within this drifting community alot of teams in are drifting community are biast and they think there s:censored: don't stink!

And drifting RWD all the time gets old after two years. So I use MR as much as possible but its hard to get them acepted in comps and such.

I personally do not have a problem with 4wd drifters as long as they can tandem and not run me over, or just try to get fast lap times and always gotta have comfort hards on. Anything else is touge in my book.

(Prodigy Drift Team)

Agreed 100%

To me though drifting is all about fun and not being competitive so to me if it slides its all good.

👍👍👍 As it should be
I can have just as much fun sliding around in a 4wd car as I can with any "pure" rear driven car. I tend to try and stay away from getting involved in tandem running when online, as I really am just in it for the fun of it, and nothing more. If someone joins me, then all is well, but I tend to stay clear of most who are inviting me to join them, as I will undoubtedly make a mistake at some point and make them angry, then hate on the 4wd.

I really wish PD had left in the old R33 GTS's, but for now the best we can do is try to imitate them. This video is from my initial testing of the tuning setup, which went pretty well. Notice how the front tyre temperatures drop back to normal after the braking phase, leaving the rears to do all the work, basically rwd power delivery from a 4wd system. (10/90 split with front LSD at 5)

(I've also just run the latest drift seasonal using a Veyron, and scored respectably well)

🤬:banghead:

4wd is power sliding not drifting so why just slide around like a tool bag? If you going to do something do it right or just dont do it at all.

If you actually discriminate against people who drift a 4wd car, I can only assume you missed a few hugs as a child

Really, who cares? Let people use what they want

BlameAuntJemima
^^ Even if it's an FF drive car.

Technically in D1GP rules and regulations handbook it says "only drive methods that are allowed shall be FR, MR, RR, and FF"

Don't believe that look it up.

So they are ok and in my book.

I am perfectly fine with AWD drifting, but I don't like people saying "FR ONLY". I drift in my RÜF BTR (Big Troll RÜF, making Comfort Hard purists rage, one lobby at a time!) on Sports Hard tires (purists, you made bro?) a lot now. It's incredibly fun to use.

The reason why you will almost never see me drifting in an AWD car is because they are tougher to tune (in my opinion) than RWD cars.

Technically in D1GP rules and regulations handbook it says "only drive methods that are allowed shall be FR, MR, RR, and FF"

Don't believe that look it up.

So they are ok and in my book.

I know. I didn't mean FF in real life D1GP :P
Sorry If you misinterpreted what I wrote. I mean FF drifting in GT5. :lol:

BlameAuntJemima
I know. I didn't mean FF in real life D1GP :P
Sorry If you misinterpreted what I wrote. I mean FF drifting in GT5. :lol:

I know what you meant.

I was just saying in my general book

No preference here. I will say that 4WD cars are harder to tune for drifting than RWD cars, though.

I have an Impreza TC that I tuned for drifting that I love, mainly because it looks cool. Metallic black with fluorescent yellow wheels.

For me, drifting is more about looking cool and getting cool pictures than driving. That's why I'm not in a team and I rarely drift online.

I have no qualms against AWD drifting, in fact I did it before because I was just messing around in GT5 :D Any car can drift, given the right circumstances. However, if you want to "go pro"/go with the norm around here, or decide to stick to the more seasoned drift veterans here, go for RWD.

I don't really don't mind people drifting 4wd, I have drifted a 4wd once or twice on my wheel and one thing that I can tell you is that they like to go wide (understeer) !

It's ok RWD friends, just cover your eyes, any attempt to prevent this madness will only end in tears ;)

I'm not even gonna bother anymore. The 'freedom' of doing what people want is too big in this forum. People are being taught the wrong things, and mods don't even care. Frankly, they support it even.

I'm not even gonna bother anymore. The 'freedom' of doing what people want is too big in this forum. People are being taught the wrong things, and mods don't even care. Frankly, they support it even.

Whoa Dom...you're starting to sound like you want the drifting community to be run like a dictatorship with a very narrow view on what drifting is, and anyone who has their own view or opinion on drifting should be banished from the community.

Of course the "freedom of people doing what they want" is huge....it's a free country (thank god for that!!), and people can and will do what they want, as they should!

I do agree that there is a lot of very bad info, especially in regards to tuning, spread on this forum. Just like in real life, all you can do is try to present info that you have to share in the best way possible...if people read it, great. If people read someone else's info which happens to be incorrect, and accept it as fact, that's their problem, not yours. Don't lose sleep over people failing due to reading bad info on teh interwebz. If people accept the first bit of info they find as fact, and don't bother to do more in depth research on a topic, that's their problem.

An I think you're forgetting this is a video game! There is no wrong way to play a video game...so as long as people are actually talking about playing the game, no matter how they choose to play it, of course the mods are going to go along with it and encourage it. You honestly think any one of these mods cares whether or not people "drift properly and according to convention"? I certainly don't care what anyone else does, so I don't see why a mod would either.

Latest Posts

Back