Your worst driving habits in GT5 Prologue...

• Thread starter s15specr
  • 99 comments
- Drifting while supposed to be gripping... cant resist...
- Punting wait nevermind :) (wait again, I havent seen many punters...)
- Waiting for competition if in the lead (thats a IF lol)
- Bumper to bumper with other cars... cant see when to brake :lol:
- Never pratice tracks often enough... Usually 1 lap before race, so that might be why Im a bit off pace

👍

Breaking a little too late and then making a desperate dive for the apex, like if I can just hit the apex it'll be OK. It rarely ends well.

Braking too late while in the leading cars slipstream. This happens a bit at turn 1 on Fuji, I can usually turn in before going onto the run-off, but the entrance to Spoon on Suzuka is where it occurs most.

My worst habit is that I keep coming back to play it no matter how much I'm painfully aware how disappointing it is and how much I know other games that I have are just...better, for some reason I still want to drive it. Not long now and I'll have the credits for the F1 car, then I'll have my hands on RACE Pro, the SuperCar Challenge Beta and a Fanatec Wheel then I doubt I'll need to go anywhere near GT5P and I can let my son have the game and run around with the F1 car as much as he likes while I play decent racing games. LOL

Road Rage. :mad:

I always get punted by some arse hole in a Clio. Pisses me off and I tend to push too hard. I start taking a poor driving line, missing the apex, etc.

Too many times middle of great battle, I put right/left tyres accidentally to grass because I try to get 'ultimate best line' to a next curve... and same time start braking. :ouch:

Only once this annoying method was success. We had underpowered cars, and time to finish ended same time when I was totally spinning through Casio. From my video footage I saw just before screen changed, that I passed my dear friend and basically won! :lol:

...but about hundred another times, results been not so good.

Well I really hate not winning a race.

So sometimes, when I'm leading a race by 6 seconds or so and the second place car is catching up to me at around 1.5-2.0 seconds a lap and I realise he's much faster than me. When he finally turns up behind me I like to...

BREAK CHECK

his ass, but my god it is the dirtiest thing you can do.

1. Looking back all the time, even when I know there is a corner coming up ahead.
2. Always trying to race by the rule of slow in/fast out but never succeeding in it.
3. Using the kiddy view while I know other views are better for races but just enjoying the view on the car I am driving.
4. Spending way too much time on this silly game annoying the family doing it.

:)

Pretty much the same as most of you guys indeed.. :lol:
1. Braking too late into corner while turning the wheel and cause understeers.
2. The harder I push, the more mistakes I'll be making when chasing the leader.
3. Always missing the apex of the hairpins in Suzuka as entering too fast.
4. When dogfighting with the car in front, missing the braking point quite often - braking too early when entering a corner, fear crashing into the front car's end. :P

When i'm leading and i'm waiting for the others and the others are punters!!!!!!!!
I then i become like SteveO1965......

Hehe, some nice habits you've got there, guys.

I think my worst habbit too would be starting to drift and powerslide for fun, when I'm supposed to do a fast lap. :dopey:

And I tend to make lots of small mistakes, when I manage to get in the lead of a race. Because of that I start to push even more, because I get scared, that guys behind me will pass me. That leads to bigger mistakes, and more panic from me, that I will be overtaken. And so on and so forth. It's a viscious circle that usually ends in tears for me :banghead:.

But I still love it :D

Good example of my bad habits, yesterday I was racing in iRacing, and it was a 20 lap race at Lime Rock. I started 3rd and managed to get 1st at around lap 3 or 4. At lap 19, the 2nd place caught up because I was so scared to screw up while leading and I was getting paranoid because my tires were almost finished, that my laps got slower. So in the final lap, I suddenly started going faster and pushing the car more, which cause me to oversteer alot in one turn and I almost lost it. That guy passed me on the final straight.

I won the race, turns out I double lapped him.

As for bad habits it would have to be stuffing up the 3-4 shift with my G25 by rushing it and losing valuable seconds sorting myself out,followed by keeping a eye on my rear vision mirror a bit too much if being challenged for the lead and making a silly stupid mistakes(braking too late,getting on the accel pedal to keenly out of corners,missing apex`s via turning in too late or carrying too much entry speed) just cracking under pressure generally i guess. It`s much easier to chase than be chased!

Oh i will admit to teaching punters a gentle lesson if i have taken out during the race and catch back up to said punter,i might line said punter up and brake just a fraction later than normal and modulate my braking to close right up to rear of said punter to ever so gently guide them off the track or simply position myself to be on their inside when entering a corner to gradually guide them off the track during the exit of the corner to eat some dirt for being a disgraceful punter. Some incidents are purely accidental and you can generally tell pretty quickly if it was intentional or not :-)

Last edited:
1.like the first guy, auto correcting either at the wrong time or when it's clearly not needed
2.getting lazy and drifting corners when I'm in a race - all the while thinking "yeh, this'll look great on the replay", and then never get round to watching it (I can't crack the 2.14s on sazuka with a Z06 cause of this)
funnily though, other car don't pressure me so much, and I'm great when i'm being hounded by another car.

Braking too late
Braking too early
Forgetting to brake (yes indeed)
Too quick on the throttle
Starting to make mistakes when getting the lead

Last edited:
While chasing down a player, very close behind, I tend to start driving their line instead of my own. Oddly enough, I do the same thing at track days...:(

This. Driving the car ahead of you. I don't know how often I tell my students during HPDE, do not do this, only to do it in the game. LOL. Oddly enough, I don't have a problem when actually on the track. Don't know why I suddenly do it in the game.

Braking while in the draft, as well. I have hit too many people due to this. I think the drafting thing is a bit overdone.

Trying to dive in every little gap trying too pass, only resulting in penaltys :grumpy:
Pushing too hard, braking too late
Endless trying out tunes with too many parameters changed and still getting nowhere. Tough i can get into the same laptimes with most of these tunes :banghead:

-Driving CLEAN when everyone else is having a bumper car fest.
-Racing the other cars trying to get around them, instead of racing the Track.
-Being too cautious or too eager in difficult turns. resulting in losing time from slowing down, or going off track.
-Not joining online races because of all the annoying habbits and bump-fests everyone else has.

I've only had 1 or 2 competitive/fun races out of the 20 or so i've tried. I must be patient and put in more time. I just hate waiting for the game to load, finally get in to be racing with a bunch of people with bad sportsmanship/manners. :ouch:

I find I have a tendency to bump into AI cars. Not intentionally, I either brake later than them or in taking a different line end up running into them. Happens all the time.

Then when I try to account for braking on their part as to not slam into them, I usually end up over-braking and losing time.

That and occasionally "riding" along side an AI controlled car in the middle of a turn to avoid braking. Not slamming into them, just using them as somewhat of a moving wall. Bad habit, I know :(

Giving up when someone is just 3 seconds ahead.
Pushing to hard.
Breaking in the middle of a turn.

The first two i am getting better at, starting to catch myself doing all of these.

Giving up when someone is just 3 seconds ahead.
Pushing to hard.
Breaking in the middle of a turn.

The first two i am getting better at, starting to catch myself doing all of these.

Never give up, one mistake = 10 seconds, one penalty = 5 seconds.

Back