YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,189 views
They will either have a billion miles on them or be through the roof expensive. Those things hold their value real well, at least in this state.
Not to mention very slow.
 
They're actually quicker than you think. I drove a late-model TDI, the year before they bumped up the power to an even 100, and it managed to scoot along pretty well with the slushbox it had. Don't get me wrong, my old Jetta was certainly faster, but when this sucker will cruise at 40 MPG all day, thats a bonus.
 
Just buy a damn Fbody already.

whit1.jpg


^ He's calling you--and fits well within your price area. I won't comment on the insurance...*cough*

Otherwise may I present you these alternatives:

2001-2003 Infiniti I35
2002.infiniti.i35.26775-396x249.jpg


2001-2002 Infiniti Q45:
LeftFront3.jpg


2001-2003 Toyota Aristo.....errr I mean Lexus GS300:
2003_Lexus_GS_300.jpg


2006 Mercury Milan:
CARmageddon605.jpg


2006 Ford Fusion:
2006_Ford_Fusion.jpg


2005 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD:
2005_Dodge_Magnum_ext_1.jpg


2002 Infiniti G20 (a really nice car for the money):
2067965_8.jpg
 
I'm going to shop a bit... If I have the time tomorrow, I'm going to go look at that Jetta. See what else is on the lot too...
 
If you see a G20 DRIVE IT! Those are such fantastic little cars.
 
JCE
If you see a G20 DRIVE IT! Those are such fantastic little cars.

It's a mid 90's Nissan Primera - AVOID.
 
They aren't that slow. Remember speed and power aren't everything.
Diesel VWs also don't handle particularly well, before you site the Mini as an example.
 
I can back that one up... The last TDI I drove had the standard suspension and wheel/tire package, and while it is certainly a bit more "tight" than your average non-XRS Corolla, it isn't going to win awards for its agility. You could get it in the later years with the GLS suspension and the 17" sport whee/tire combo, that would liven things up, but I haven't seen many like that around here.
 
ignore this
 
They're actually quicker than you think. I drove a late-model TDI, the year before they bumped up the power to an even 100, and it managed to scoot along pretty well with the slushbox it had. Don't get me wrong, my old Jetta was certainly faster, but when this sucker will cruise at 40 MPG all day, thats a bonus.
They aren't quicker than I think. My friend from school had one with a custom exhaust (no mufflers, just straight pipe) and an intake, and my car was a bit faster than his in completely stock form.

They aren't that slow. Remember speed and power aren't everything.
That means my Civic isn't that slow......

Diesel VWs also don't handle particularly well, before you site the Mini as an example.
👍



I noticed a lot of g20 mentions again. Find a manual one somewhere and test drive it. Not that it's such an awesome car, but 10k can get you better things.
 

That means my Civic isn't that slow......

Never said it was, it's an economy car yes but that doesn't make it slow.

**Also where the hell did I mention the Mini at?
 
Never said it was, it's an economy car yes but that doesn't make it slow.

**Also where the hell did I mention the Mini at?
The civic is pretty slow IMO.


You didn't mention Mini, tornado did.

And Keef, despite how cool an ITR is, that is so not the right car for Brad.
 
@ Keef: Hey, if they were about $10K cheaper, I'd consider it!

On a similar note, I came across an RSX for $10K recently, but the mileage was a bit higher than I'd like, so I dunno. I do like the look/handling of the cars, but I don't want to be a massive tool not having the Type-S car.

EDIT:

The VW hunt just got more interesting:

The local VW shop has some really sweet deals, and they're on average about $2000 cheaper than the others I've been seeing around town. I'm going to go have a look/chat tomorrow and see where it gets me. I may be able to save myself a lot of money going this route...
 
Awww... c'mon... the G20 has such a nice engine... and it's got IRS, too... something I wish they'd kept on the Sentra...

But at this point in time... 10k for such an old car... mmmmmmm.... errh...

---

RE: what's wrong with the "basic" RSX? It's only 0,6 to 1 second slower to 60 mph. Granted, it'd be nice to have all 200 ponies, but you're almost never going to use that speed on the road, so you're not going to miss it at all... not unless you drive said RSX back to back with some guy's Type S.

Anyway... "speed" is relative. In traffic, you'll likely get more "kick" out of another turbodiesel than you will out of a high-strung, 200 hp screamer.
 
RE: what's wrong with the "basic" RSX? It's only 0,6 to 1 second slower to 60 mph. Granted, it'd be nice to have all 200 ponies, but you're almost never going to use that speed on the road, so you're not going to miss it at all... not unless you drive said RSX back to back with some guy's Type S.

Anyway... "speed" is relative. In traffic, you'll likely get more "kick" out of another turbodiesel than you will out of a high-strung, 200 hp screamer.

*shrugs* Suspension isn't as good? Worse tires

anyway, whose are some nice deals on those VWs. Considered a Golf, too?
 
@ Keef: Hey, if they were about $10K cheaper, I'd consider it!

On a similar note, I came across an RSX for $10K recently, but the mileage was a bit higher than I'd like, so I dunno. I do like the look/handling of the cars, but I don't want to be a massive tool not having the Type-S car.

EDIT:

The VW hunt just got more interesting:

The local VW shop has some really sweet deals, and they're on average about $2000 cheaper than the others I've been seeing around town. I'm going to go have a look/chat tomorrow and see where it gets me. I may be able to save myself a lot of money going this route...

You are practically singling out the Jetta. :lol: All of our suggestions are in vain unless it is a Jetta. At least consider the Passat estate--its super sexy in black or green. :eek:

Awww... c'mon... the G20 has such a nice engine... and it's got IRS, too... something I wish they'd kept on the Sentra...

But at this point in time... 10k for such an old car... mmmmmmm.... errh...

---

RE: what's wrong with the "basic" RSX? It's only 0,6 to 1 second slower to 60 mph. Granted, it'd be nice to have all 200 ponies, but you're almost never going to use that speed on the road, so you're not going to miss it at all... not unless you drive said RSX back to back with some guy's Type S.

Anyway... "speed" is relative. In traffic, you'll likely get more "kick" out of another turbodiesel than you will out of a high-strung, 200 hp screamer.

The G20 is/was a fantastic car. Good build quality, much nicer interior than its sister, and actually handles quite well.

*shrugs* Suspension isn't as good? Worse tires

The RSX in any form is cool, though it isn't my first choice of a Honda product (Prelude anyone?) it is still a rock solid car for the daily commute that makes even the most boring drive to work fun. Oh and it has teh vtak!
 
JCE
You are practically singling out the Jetta. :lol: All of our suggestions are in vain unless it is a Jetta. At least consider the Passat estate--its super sexy in black or green. :eek:

The Jetta is probably one of the more common cars you will see around $10K.

And I did a quick search for manuals in the area. There are a lot of Jettas, Rios, Focii (?) and Cavalier things for sale. There was a pretty nice Protege5 over in Hudsonville, but it looks like you your hottest car will be that RSX over at Sharpe. Oh, and there's a Legacy in Sparta.
 
Yeah, unfortunately the market is severely limited in West Michigan. I had a look at that Protoge5 when I first started looking, but given my current physical state and the inability of my family to otherwise operate anything requiring your left foot and some stick poking out of the console, it just isn't the car to have at the moment. I really do like the G20 idea, but they're harder to find (I do need a car ASAP), and I do like that RSX, but the mileage is exceptionally high it seems.

*sigh*

Damn VWs kick your ass and then you come back for more...
 
I do like that RSX, but the mileage is exceptionally high it seems.

I would look at that car pretty critically. What are most RSXs of that age going to run you? I'm wondering if there is a reason this car is not costing you that much for such a hot car. Maybe it's the mileage.

I would definitely look into the history of the car. I'm thinking the guy that had the GTI before us might have autocrossed it or something, so it's possible that the previous owner was just a little hard on the car.
 
...Well, I've officially ran out of ideas...

I haven't had an in-depth look at whats available in the area, but its been rather depressing so far. Playing with the figures and such, I'm pretty limited in my choices, otherwise I need to go out of State to find something halfway decent.

I think the big problem I've reached is do I finance a used car, or do I lease a new car?

The payments would be nearly the same, and insurance wouldn't be too different either (I think?). So I'm not sure. I don't want to be overly-committed to something that will be worth nothing by the time my financing is up, and similarly, I don't want to be stuck in a lease that I'll hate for so long.

Meh.

Get this stint out of me and have some free time between classes and I'll poke around a bit more. Hell, I don't even know if I have enough credit to even get a halfway decent lease...
 
I've found leases to be bad since at the end of the three years you are stuck with no car and you have paid quite a bit to drive it.
 
The only good lease for some is renting a house, because mortgage payments last for life (they might as well anyway) and renting is similar price a week.
 
On a similar note, I came across an RSX for $10K recently, but the mileage was a bit higher than I'd like, so I dunno. I do like the look/handling of the cars, but I don't want to be a massive tool not having the Type-S car.

The base version has the same maximum torque as the Type-S and it gets to it 2000 RPM's earlier.

I don't want to be overly-committed to something that will be worth nothing by the time my financing is up...

Get a Honda and you won't have to worry much about that.
 
No cars in-state? I'm sure Chicago is loaded with used vehicles if you are willing to go that far.

On the lease/finance issue. When taking a new car like this, do you still have to end up paying a huge sum just for being the first to drive ti off the lot? And if the payments are about the same, which will you be paying for longer? I would imagine that $150 to $200 per month will start to be missed after the payments for a used car would have ended.
 
im against leasing. unless you get a killa $150 a month deal for a new car that you like with a small down payment and reasonable miles.

im always in favour of getting a $2-4 thousand dollar car and running it into the ground. that could be a year, or it could be ten.
 
I would lease if I were you. If anything goes wrong, it's covered under warranty. Plus you only have to do the minimum of maintenance, just follow the OLM or whatever the manual says for oil changes and skip the rest to maintain your warranty.
 
Well, for what I've already found in estimation:

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T: $10,500
- Financed, 48 months: $230-ish a month
- $250 deductible, $124 a month

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S: $16,900
- Lease, 36 months/36,000 miles, $0 due at signing: $250 a month
- $500 deductible, $130 a month

So, in the end you spend a little bit more (about $20) a month on a lease to get a warranty and that new-car smell. Not a huge amount, but a bit more.

I'm considering waiting a little bit and just choose not to have a car for a while. I have been promoted at work, so I'd like to have a few paychecks come in to see what I'm looking at budget wise, not to mention get my taxes back (all $600) and try to rub out some bills as well.

...Also, looks like I may have a buyer for the old Jetta, which is another $800-1000 back in my pocket...

And yes, we're getting a MINI Dealer in Grand Rapids. I may try to see if they're hiring part-time salesmen, maybe to get a discount/loaner or something. MINI seems to be pretty cool with the lease deals, so I may see what they have to offer when they're "officially" here.

Otherwise, when the weather gets warm, I may just bit the bullet and get a spunky ol' Miata for $5000 and call it a day.
 
If you're opening the possibility of leasing now, look at other things besides VW.
 
Back