YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,189 views
If the Astra is anything like the UK one, my dad has one and personally I think its ace.
 
If the Astra is anything like the UK one, my dad has one and personally I think its ace.

See, there you go- another guy likes it. Astras definitely look better than that Honda too. The Mini would be the next closest competitor in my eyes- but they are a bit of a riga-ma-role to get you said?
 
I like the Astras. I think 0-60mph times are somewhere around 8-9sec for the 1.8L if that's any help.

EU-spec Vauxhall/Opel Astra:
1.8 Life 5d; 10.1s; 123mph; 123hp
1.8i VVT SRi 5d; 9.5s; 129mph; 138hp


Incidentally, the Vauxhall Astra is appalling. I'd rather drive a 10" nail through my skull than any Vauxhall Astra.
 
The Mini is seriously miles ahead of the Astra, even though they are about the same price. Plus the Astra gets awful fuel mileage with an EPA 24mpg in the city.
 
Its been an increasing concern with gasoline prices likely to scratch at $4 a gallon by the start of the summer. That would likely make the Honda and the MINI the only viable alternatives...

I'll have to drive both and decide from there. If the Honda feels nearly as good, I may just go for that. I'm getting desperate for not having a car, and its still pretty "unique." I would be the only one on here with a Fit, no?

Plus, they have a purple one... Yes!

===

So, we'll see. Heart of hearts says go to the MINI dealer and order one now, the head keeps screaming at me to go to Honda.
 
EU-spec Vauxhall/Opel Astra:
1.8 Life 5d; 10.1s; 123mph; 123hp
1.8i VVT SRi 5d; 9.5s; 129mph; 138hp


Incidentally, the Vauxhall Astra is appalling. I'd rather drive a 10" nail through my skull than any Vauxhall Astra.

Agreed, the ashtray cant hold a candle to the mini.

Joey D made the right decision, and now its your turn. The extra money the mini costs you will only retain when you come to sell it on anyway. Seriously the mini just handles and handles and handles.
 
Its been an increasing concern with gasoline prices likely to scratch at $4 a gallon by the start of the summer. That would likely make the Honda and the MINI the only viable alternatives...

I'll have to drive both and decide from there. If the Honda feels nearly as good, I may just go for that. I'm getting desperate for not having a car, and its still pretty "unique." I would be the only one on here with a Fit, no?

Plus, they have a purple one... Yes!

===

So, we'll see. Heart of hearts says go to the MINI dealer and order one now, the head keeps screaming at me to go to Honda.

So you are seriously thinking about a Honda Fit/Jazz? - are you coming upto retirement age or is your hair just greying early?
 
Here in the US the Fit is actually marketed mostly to the younger kids. Given the sporty credentials of the Fit model that shares the same name, it has gained a reputation as the MINI Cooper on a budget. Its modestly "quick," has a good/sharp/sporty ride and handling trade-off, and those rear seats are just plain cool.

I'm thinking about it. I haven't driven one yet. If I don't like it, obviously, I wouldn't get it.

...It can't be any worse than the Nissan Versa...
 
Is 'can't be any worse than the Nissan Versa' a good reason for buying a car? ;)

All i'll say on the matter is - if you can't buy a car with your heart when you are young and responsibility free, you'll never be able too. You have the rest of your life to buy with your head.
 
Yeah I hear ya. I'd love to be irresponsible, I'm just afraid of it biting me in the ass.

Oddly enough, my Grandfather who always talks to me about "fiscal responsibility" wants me to get a MINI. And he NEVER spends money...
 
Yeah I hear ya. I'd love to be irresponsible, I'm just afraid of it biting me in the ass.

Oddly enough, my Grandfather who always talks to me about "fiscal responsibility" wants me to get a MINI. And he NEVER spends money...

We're not taking about choosing a Viper over a Volvo here, i can't see why the MINI would be considered a 'irresponsible' purchase over a Fit/Jazz?

Does the Honda have much better 2nd hand residuals or something?
 
You know you want that MINI.

Just do it.
 
Both of the cars hold their value particularly well, and both are exceptionally rare around here. Thing is, the MINI is about $4-5K more by the end. The MINI comes with quite a few more standard features, and oddly enough, is actually more fuel efficent (I didn't even know that!).

Well, maybe its "MINI it is!" then?

I'll have to go back to the dealer tomorrow, drive the '08 they have on the lot (the MINI side of the dealer isn't officially open yet), and maybe place an order. They said it would be at least two months, maybe more, to get what I want. Otherwise, I may need to make a trip to Detroit...
 
Your Astra looks like our Vectra GT:

vectra-GT.jpg


Personally, I'd go for the Golf. My second choice would be the Fit, I think it's a nice car.
 
  1. Fit
  2. Golf
  3. Mini
  4. Astra
 
I'd either go for the Rabbit or the Mini myself. 👍 Both are damn good.
 
The Mini being more fuel efficient must mean taller gearing. The Jazz's gearing is more for acceleration than top-end, so it can get buzzy on the motorway. I'd lay my bets on the Jazz still being more fuel efficient in in-town traffic.

The only negative I can see to owning a Jazz is that it would make you a "Honda Owner". And as we all know, they're rice-boys who don't know how to drive, have no torque and absolutely no taste in cars. :lol:

But it's an absolutely cool little car. The handling is pin sharp and playful, and it's so predictable that it's a stellar track car (despite the blech electric steering... but the new Mini also has an electric rack... :( ). I'd say it's about as fun as the Mini, minus a whole bunch of ponies and the good looks. I'm looking at getting one secondhand as a toy, but the residuals are insane! I'd literally have to find a wrecked one to be able to afford it.
 
I'm not sure what the details where, but some newspaper ad had the lease for a Fit at $249 per month and a Civic LX for $199. But that was for the new Fit coming in.
 
Cuz they did it and produced a Vectra GT as their ofspring... ?
 
Go with the Mini. Avoid the Astra like the plague. I have owned one and it was the biggest mistake I have ever made. Horrid horrid horrid.
 
-> YSS, you know that I know that the Fit is the best on your list. Well, its late for me here. I'll reply longer soon. ;)
 
I'd go for the MINI just because you'd have more fun with it, but the Rabbit a close second.

The Astra is just meh... I've never properly looked in one but after having a good look in a Vectra I can only expect the Astra to be worse. It shouldn't be on the same list as a Rabbit IMO.

The Fit just seems too girly, though it's a good enough car.
 
Haha yeah, but stock...
 
Girlie with a ricie bodykit?
 
Go for the rabbit. 170 hp 177 ft-lbs is hardly docile. I have driven one and it it really nice and with a starting price of 15,700ish its not a bad deal either.:dopey:
 
G.T
I'd go for the MINI just because you'd have more fun with it, but the Rabbit a close second.

The Astra is just meh... I've never properly looked in one but after having a good look in a Vectra I can only expect the Astra to be worse. It shouldn't be on the same list as a Rabbit IMO.

The Fit just seems too girly, though it's a good enough car.

What year model was yours? The older Astras really sucked but according to my mechanic the new ones are pretty good. If you don't like the pace of them- go a turbo version. They have plenty enough pep.
 
This one:


Yeah, it's alright, but considering the Vetra is very similar inside, just bigger, I presume it'll be just or more as dull and boring. But they are supposed to be good to drive.
 
Back