YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,189 views


====

Per the MINI question, the guys at the dealer wouldn't let me drive one today. Odd...

I have to wait a week to see what "used" ones they can get. That didn't make me a happy camper, and I may just end up going with a Fit instead.


It because the only cars they would have are customers cars. They were foolish for selling their demo though.
 
The reason he gave me was "we only let customers drive cars that they are intent on buying."

Um, okay? So how am I supposed to know if I want a MINI if you can't let me drive one? Sure, they were all S models, but I'm sure it would have given me a much better idea of what I want than none at all...

One hopes that they get some halfway decent models next week, but given that they're used, I don't think I want to deal with that.
 
The best thing about the Fit? You can put a K24 in it! Somebody go find me a 2.4L engine that you can bolt into a Mini...:lol:
 
The reason he gave me was "we only let customers drive cars that they are intent on buying."

Um, okay? So how am I supposed to know if I want a MINI if you can't let me drive one? Sure, they were all S models, but I'm sure it would have given me a much better idea of what I want than none at all...

One hopes that they get some halfway decent models next week, but given that they're used, I don't think I want to deal with that.

Wow, that's a terrible way to sell cars. Motor City Mini will let anyone with a license drive a car, my dad even went in there to give one a spin because he was curious about the car I was getting.

The best thing about the Fit? You can put a K24 in it! Somebody go find me a 2.4L engine that you can bolt into a Mini...:lol:

It's very common to put K series in classic minis

http://www.minimania.com/web/Displa...isplayType/Technical Information/ArticleV.cfm
 
I say go with the Fit! :)
 
Ew ew ew ew ew ew.

A Fit? For someone who spends so much time on his hair you couldn't have picked a worse car for image.
 
Why does the Vibe look so much like the Matrix?

Since no one answered I will, because they are the same car. Last of the GM-badged Toyota cars.

So, I drove the Fit Sport today...

I have to say that it impressed me more than I thought it would. I had previously spent some time in the car before at different auto shows and on the lot, but this was my first time driving one.

I love it!

The chassis seemed to be "just right," a very good trade off of handling and overall good ride quality. I tossed her into a few corners, and I honestly didn't expect it to hold on that well. I will have to get used to the driving position if I get it, but other than that, I'd say everything else is just about perfect. I loved that car...

Better yet? They say I can get it for about $220 a month, which would be awesome.

====

Per the MINI question, the guys at the dealer wouldn't let me drive one today. Odd...

I have to wait a week to see what "used" ones they can get. That didn't make me a happy camper, and I may just end up going with a Fit instead.

The Fit = win. It has tons of space--which the Mini doesn't. Its cheaper than the Mini, and the cost of driving it will be SIGNIFICANTLY less. Yes I love the first gen BMW Mini--but cost of ownership hits you in the wallet especially hard if you're a student or on a tight income. The Mini just isn't practical. And I don't want to hear the contrary from Joey D or anyone else because it just isn't practical. The Fit seats more adults COMFORTABLY , hauls more stuff, and costs less to run. Period.
 
JCE
Since no one answered I will, because they are the same car. Last of the GM-badged Toyota cars.

I don't think they look anything alike on the outside, but the interior is the same on both.


Also it's quite far from the last NUMMI car they'll make.
 
JCE
The Fit = win. It has tons of space--which the Mini doesn't. Its cheaper than the Mini, and the cost of driving it will be SIGNIFICANTLY less. Yes I love the first gen BMW Mini--but cost of ownership hits you in the wallet especially hard if you're a student or on a tight income. The Mini just isn't practical. And I don't want to hear the contrary from Joey D or anyone else because it just isn't practical. The Fit seats more adults COMFORTABLY , hauls more stuff, and costs less to run. Period.

Wow you are so wrong it's not even funny. I have not had one issue with space with my Mini yet and I carry 3 other people with me quite often. Also the cost of ownership is very low with the Mini because you get 30-32mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway. Mini also gives you 3 years of service free when you buy the car. I guess you would have to put tires on it if you drove it hard but other then that I can't really think of a huge cost to owning the car since the insurance is very resonable.

The Fit is nice, I drove it when I was looking for vehicles, but it's no more roomy or comfortable then the Mini was, the back seat had maybe a little more room but the car is narrower and you feel that. It also doesn't ride as nice nor does it feel as solid.

Do you even know what you are talking about when it comes to these cars? Have you driven both? Have you done your research on them?
 
If getting it serviced isnt a problem I say go with the mini...IMO
 
If getting it serviced isnt a problem I say go with the mini...IMO

They are though, BMW hasn't realised yet that the MINI is a BMW and you should be able to service it at one of their dealerships. This coupled with the price are the two downfalls of the car. However, service intervals are stupid long. I've gone 6,200 miles since I bought my car and I'm still 11,000 miles from my service (the car tells you). I still rotate the tires and what not but that's pretty standard stuff.
 
Can you guys still buy the Scion xB?

www.dpcars.net , click 'PAST' link on left.
 
Can you guys still buy the Scion xB?

www.dpcars.net , click 'PAST' link on left.

Yup, they actually have a newer, uglier version on the market for the 07 model year. I really like them and I would recommend one to anyone in the market for a small car that you can fit the entire world in. Although like I said it has love it or hate it styling.
 
Wow you are so wrong it's not even funny. I have not had one issue with space with my Mini yet and I carry 3 other people with me quite often.

Wrong. I'm 6ft and my friends are 6ft and taller. THEY DO NOT FIT IN THE BACKSEAT OF THE MINI.

Also the cost of ownership is very low with the Mini because you get 30-32mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway. Mini also gives you 3 years of service free when you buy the car. I guess you would have to put tires on it if you drove it hard but other then that I can't really think of a huge cost to owning the car since the insurance is very resonable.

Initial cost + insurance cost + gas cost = Fit being cheaper to run and own during its lifetime. And I said lifetime not the first three years.

The Fit is nice, I drove it when I was looking for vehicles, but it's no more roomy or comfortable then the Mini was, the back seat had maybe a little more room but the car is narrower and you feel that. It also doesn't ride as nice nor does it feel as solid.

You need to see a doctor, because your depth preception is WAY off. The Fit probably has the highest if not one of the highest interior volumes in its class. The Mini just doesn't have as much overall interior space.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2008-honda-fit-3.htm
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2008-mini-cooper-3.htm

The facts...

The Fit:
Base 4-door hatchback, manual $13,950
Cargo Volume, cu. ft. 41.9
Front Head Room, in. 40.6
Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.9
Rear Head Room, in. 38.6
Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 33.7

The Mini:
Base 2-door regular-length hatchback $18,050
Cargo Volume, cu. ft. 24.0
Front Head Room, in. 38.8
Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.4
Rear Head Room, in. 37.6
Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 29.9


Do you even know what you are talking about when it comes to these cars? Have you driven both? Have you done your research on them?

Its clear you don't know what you're talking about. I have driven every car in this class (remember I work for a car dealer) and the Fit is probably--no is--the best pick because its the most practicality you can get for the money AND its a blast to drive. I'm not saying the Mini is bad, I'm simply stating the facts about the interior space and price issues since this is YSS' thread. He needs to hear X's and O's and not conjecture and pure speculation. If he wants to vote with his head he will choose the VW or Honda. If he chooses with his heart he would choose the Astra or the Mini.
 
Whatever, debates like this are pointless.
 
Keep aware of fanboyism in general.

That said, if you're looking for space and utility, I think the Fit is great. I've never driven either car, but I'll tell you that the Fit was far more comfortable for me. The new Fit is supposed to be bigger too, if you're up for the wait. The Mini was a squeeze, and if you have friends as big and tall as I, don't count on them riding in the back seat. The Fit's backseat isn't great, but it's a lot better than the Mini.

That's about all I can offer on the two.

Quick question, though... the Mini runs on 87 octane, right? A friend of mine told me her Cooper has to use premium fuel, but I don't know if she's just dumb or was jocking me or what.
 
Whatever, debates like this are pointless.

Last edited by Joey D : Today at 7:23 PM. Reason: debate content removed.

That's too bad because I was looking forward to reading your reply, and so YSS could read it and could make up his own mind.
 
Please don't base your decision on the opinions of a Mini fanboy.

How am I Mini fanboy? Because I know about the car? Please. I have given several criticisms of the car including price, service, quirks, and styling.

And actually according to this post by //M-Spec "fanboy" is considered abusive language.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2869327&postcount=1663

Quick question, though... the Mini runs on 87 octane, right? A friend of mine told me her Cooper has to use premium fuel, but I don't know if she's just dumb or was jocking me or what.

You can run it on 87 but it's bad for the car, it recommends premium. And it's only a 13 gallon tank so when you fill up you are only paying $2.60 more if you are completely empty. Why anyone would be concerned about that is beyond me.
 
WE WERE ALL WRONG​



Yeah. Sage was right. I LOVE IT! Even my Dad, who hates Japanese cars, loves it. Its looking like they're going to cut me one helluva deal too... $1000 (including tax) down, $259 a month for 36 months and 12K a year.

I'm still thinking about the Fit, but after Grandpa gets home, I think I'm probably going to go down the Mazda path. If the MINI guys are going to act like that before they even get the MINI, its not even worth it. As for the Honda, I love the car too, but it just wasn't as comfortable and "solid" as the Mazda.

I haven't liked a car this much in a while... But its looking like I'm going to go after this before the end of the month.
 
Yes the Mazda 3 is an awesome car, I loved it when I drove it and strongly considered it. I drove the 5 door though and then I took the Mazdaspeed version out and feel in love with it. To bad the insurance was insane on it because I wanted it quite badly. They are also very reasonably priced for what they offer.
 
The car I drove was pretty much "loaded," a Touring model with a couple of the boxes checked. It ended up coming out to be $17,600 as I recall... Exactly $2000 more than the Honda, but oddly enough, cheaper to lease. The audio/cruise buttons on the steering wheel are a nice touch, and I loved the short-throw shifter. With Dad's almost definite approval, its pretty much the go-ahead to sign off and get it.

Gotta get my rebate check from the feds, and I'll probably go out and pick it up. I'm not a huge fan on the gunmetal gray, but it isn't bad either. Makes it look "bad ass."

As far as insurance goes, I believe its about the same as the MINI... Probably about $125 a month.
 
EDIT:

I love those cars. I'm sure you will too. Have you talked to Kyle? I'm sure he probably wouldn't say anything bad about it though.

Now I just need to get the GTI out here so me, you and Joey can have an FF-off.

But if you are buying it new, why not order it exactly how you want it? That's really one of the biggest perks of going new IMO.
 
How am I Mini fanboy? Because I know about the car? Please. I have given several criticisms of the car including price, service, quirks, and styling.

And actually according to this post by //M-Spec "fanboy" is considered abusive language.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2869327&postcount=1663



You can run it on 87 but it's bad for the car, it recommends premium. And it's only a 13 gallon tank so when you fill up you are only paying $2.60 more if you are completely empty. Why anyone would be concerned about that is beyond me.

Woah, buddy. I'm not labeling you as one, I'm just throwing out the reminder. I'll remove that part if you're taking it personally.

And as for the gas, yeah, that clears it up. Thanks. Oh, and I'd be concerned about it because that's $2.60 more and it adds up in the long run.
 
EDIT:

I love those cars. I'm sure you will too. Have you talked to Kyle? I'm sure he probably wouldn't say anything bad about it though.

Now I just need to get the GTI out here so me, you and Joey can have an FF-off.

But if you are buying it new, why not order it exactly how you want it? That's really one of the biggest perks of going new IMO.

I'm sure they'll be chanting "JUST LIKE US, JUST LIKE US, JUST LIKE US!"

(lol)

He said if I wanted a different color with the same level of options (I liked what was in it), he could get it to me in as few as three days. I don't mind the color, but after having a look at the book, there really isn't one that tickles my fancy other than the purple.
 
About the Mazda 3-> Well, its a decent car, nothing extraordinary 'bout it. I used to own one (2004 3 S 5-door) til the stupid dealership took it back after two weeks for a stupid PR5. Its a good car to toss around with and should I say better than the Mini in overall balance. I like its sound system, the trick cargo organizer that is hidden underneath, and that HUGE glovebox (will fit my Canon EOS888 camera).

-> But unlike the Fit, it feels 'closed in' it doesn't have the 'airy' feeling as what you get on the Fit. As with the Magnum, it feels claustrophobic inside despite its a tad roomier than the Fit. Also for its size the cargo capacity is somewhat small (too much interior bulkage) and less flexable as with my current cute wagon. And there were times that the car is quite tricky to scoot around the parking lot due to its blind spots. And lastly I don't like the sound of the 2.3L (Ford) Duratec I-4 at the limit, it always keeps telling me to 'stop' instead of 'keep going' like most Honda's.

-> Thats my 2 cents on the Mazda 3 S 5-door. ;)
 
Yay! :D It was also a love-at-first-sight thing for me – during the test drive, I knew it was just right.

The car I drove was pretty much "loaded," a Touring model with a couple of the boxes checked. It ended up coming out to be $17,600 as I recall...
Out of curiosity, which options did you check? Because it&#8217;s a small jump (<$500) up to the stripped s model, which includes everything the Touring i has, plus fog lights, slightly nicer interior appointments, leather steering wheel and shift knob, a bigger engine, and side and curtain airbags. I don&#8217;t know what $500 translates to in the lease, but you might want to at least look into it. ;)

BTW, I adore the dark purple color. It wasn&#8217;t available for my year (wow, my M3 is already two years old&#8230;), but if it had been I probably would&#8217;ve gotten it.
 
Well, I guess "loaded" wasn't the best way to describe it... But it did seem to have more stuff in it than most cars I was looking at. Had the ABS/etc package, floor mats, and I think the door sill guards, as well as the curtain airbags (which Dad says I have to get no matter what). The $17K sticker isn't too bad, but its a bit more than what I'd usually want to spend (with the exception of the MINI... which is out anyway)... But they were giving me $500 bonus cash, so thats nice!

I'm really thinking I like the purple too, but I don't mind the gray either. If they can get me a purple easily, I may do it. Even if Jackie hates it...
 
I'll just say the Mazda 3 is something like the 3rd best selling car in Oz, that must have some credit. Otherwise I don't read small car reviews in mags normally and I don't have seat time in many cars. (Unfortunately I'm not rich, nor do I have a cool job like some)
 
Back