YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,190 views
it's not your fault it's listed lower, frankly if they won't go with the lower price that THEY somehow posted I wouldn't take them too seriously... simple as that.
 
I assume it's fake wood?

Most Miatas I have seen have it.
 
Buy that black one. It's perfect. t has the optional hard top for winter, and that neat duck tail spoiler which I've never seen before. It also has the awesome stock front lip spoiler. Just buy it and stop bitching okay? It'll save you money, it'll get you booty, and it'll still take you on a very casual, short vacation. Happily.
 
Why not try and settle for $9500?
 
Maybe you could do something similar to what this guy did when something was more or less wrongly listed.

11 grand does seem a bit steep for that car, considering what else you could probably get for the price.
 
$11,000 for a 14 year old Mazda?
That's CRAZY talk!
Hit the Autotrader and find a newer, cheaper Miata.

As far as the 3, my son is quite fond of his 3 Sedan.
Though it isn't that beautiful blue.
AS far as getting the Purple, with a stick. You may lose any incentives on a car that isn't "in dealer inventory".
If "Goose" is willing and able to order you the car you want AND offer the incentives, I'd go for that option.
 
Why not try and settle for $9500?

Because its DOUBLE what the car would be worth otherwise. At most, the car shouldn't sticker for any more than $6500 at the dealer. AT MOST.

(if that sounded mean, I didn't intend for it to be that way... I'm just frustrated severely with that dealer. They're easily one of the worst in Grand Rapids, their former network having been bought out by Fox, who's dealers are usually quite good)

===

I'm still looking at the 3, don't worry. I need to drive a 2.3L model, as I may pony-up the extra $500 since it comes with a few other extras as well. Thing is, I had more medical bills come up, so that delays some of my stuff... Again.
 
Haha it's all good, no hard feelings. If you do finally give up, just storm out of the dealership and say "I'll take my money to another dealership and find a better deal." or something like that. 💡
 
I'm tempted to kick it out onto the internet a bit more, but I don't think it would generate quite the same amount of buzz as the M3 story.

...They do deserve a nasty letter though, and I'm tempted to do it. Although I'd rather talk to the sales manager in person first...
 
Well hopefully it all works out!
 
Yeah, 11 grand would make sense if it was a 2000 or something. I can see the 8 grand making sense because of the low miles, but 11 grand? Thats a joke, thats how much I pais for my Spyder with 66k miles. Its 6 years newer and a lot rarer.

Haggle them to 8 grand and don't act like you'll budge. Well, you can't budge. Anyhow, try to get it, Miatas are the win of all win for fun, affordable cars. And they have a trunk, which is nice.
 
What is the mileage on the car?

And does it have power windows and power locks?
 
8k is still WAYY too much. My friend paid 4k for his 91, and he overpaid.
 
Well I sort of looked up a Miata on Kelley Blue Book and it lists a Miata, fully loaded (minus leather), hardtop, with 70,000 miles, at $6000 maximum. So I would say the dealership is ripping you off.
 
What is the mileage on the car?

And does it have power windows and power locks?

Shes a 1994 Mazda Miata (not an M-edition)

- 43,500 miles
- Hard top
- Power windows
- Power locks
- Power steering
- Air Conditioning
- CD Player
- Alloy Wheels
- Rear Spoiler

Its essentially fully-loaded, minus the lack of leather, and I'm not sure if it has the LSD out back. Its the 1.8L as well.

From what I've checked between the NADA guidelines and KBB, it should be right around $5500-6000 on a dealer lot. I could stretch it to $7000, that seems reasonable-ish, but I still think the $9000 that they're asking (that is, if they still accept the former numbers on the internet) is still way too high.

The funny thing is that Edmunds had it less than $5000, way less... As I recall, something like $3800 or so.

...I'd be willing to bet they didn't pay anything more than $2000 for it on a trade, and even then, thats high. They said they had another Miata guy call in and ask about it earlier in the afternoon and he seemed to have made the same overtones that I did. Its just too damn much for a 94, even if it is like-new...

I'm going to call them today and talk to another salesman. See what happens.

EDIT:

Also, the VIN number listed on their website seems to be wrong...
 
YSSMAN,

You do NOT want a car that is 14 years old unless you plan on putting even more into repairs and what-not. And even with the low mileage, that Miata is well overpriced. You could probably search a little longer for the rare "R package" that was on the NA models and find it cheaper than what you are looking at there.

It's just me but I am SURE that you could find a 5-door in the color you want AND your desired features. If I can pick up a Mazdaspeed3 Sport for $22,400 with everything included (tax, tag blah blah), you could easily grab a base 5-door for much less. Maybe it is your location...I dont know.

Try this tactic. I actually bought my MS3 about 100 miles away in Winston Salem. I looked on their site and saw they had a good selection of MS3's. I called them up, told them what I was looking for and the "most" I could pay them (loan from a credit union). Now, I did my research and knew what the car was worth and after looking at his inventory and probably talking with the manager he said I would get that price if I came up there today and picked it up.

Now, I was already heading that way so it wasn't a big deal but I half think he doubted that I would be heading up there to look at the car. But the guy kept his word and after inspecting the car and everything checking out good, I signed.

Also, while the price probably wasn't the overall best, I have seen only a few who have gotten it cheaper. I think it is all about location. Try and find a volume dealer if you can. The salesman (was my age) mentioned that because they are a volume dealer for Mazda, Hyundai and Mitsubishi, they could offer the car for less. That could be a bunch of BS but I would suggest looking as far away as you are willing to drive in order to find the car you want.

Good luck though. But I would HIGHLY suggest staying away from that Miata no matter how tempting.

*EDIT* And just for good measure. The dealerships within 20 miles of my house ALL said they couldn't let an 08 MS3 Sport (with just wheel locks) go for $23000 NOT INCLUDING tax, tag, title. Go figure.
 
Yeah, I hear ya. The thing that scares me with something that old is who the previous owner was, and furthermore, at least with the RWD setup, how it would do in the snow.

The Mazda 3 is still on the table, and although I keep going back/fourth on which version I want, I'm starting to settle on the 3s sport sedan, not the wagon. I'll have to speak with Andrew some more about it, see if I can order what I want if they don't have it. I drove by the dealer yesterday and saw that my gray one that I originally drove is still there, which is a nice car either way. East (Fox) Mazda isn't necessarily a "volume" dealer in the area, but its the most-popular of the three of them. Its a small operation, but they turn over their inventory fairly quickly.

The thing is, I just need to figure out a way to get these bills paid off and enough money to make a (reasonable) down payment. After my brother bought a scooter, its been easier to have the car when I need it, so I'm not in any major rush to replace Jenna now.
 
UPDATE:

Called the dealer again and spoke with one of the sales managers, and it went a little something like this:

"I'm very interested in this Miata you've got on your lot, but I'm a little concerned with the price. I spoke with one of your associates, "Goose" yesterday and he was very unwilling to explain to me why it was so expensive"

"Well, its a low mileage car. Really clean."

"Right, I understand that."

"You don't find cars with that low of mileage too often"

"Of course. But I've got NADA up here and it lits the dealer price at $6,300. Kelly Blue Book has it at $5,700. Edmunds has it as low as $3,700. So I guess I'm just really confused as to why its so expensive."

"Well, its low miles and clean. But I can look into it?"

-----

So, I get a call back...

"I spoke with the other managers and they said we could go with the $8,998 price thats listed improperly on the internet. Is that about right for you?"

"Not really, its still $3000 more than what it should be. My family has done a lot of business with you guys in the past, and I know that stuff like this doesn't usually happen, but its really disappointing. You understand where I'm coming from, right?"

"Well, yeah. But its low miles and clean... You don't see that too often..."

"But not when you guys have it marked otherwise for DOUBLE what its worth..."

"Well, lemme see if I can twist some arms a bit more..."

====

So, I get another call back...

"We're willing to go as low as $8400. Thats the lowest we can go."

"But thats still $3000 over what it should be... I just don't understand why."

"I'm told that we paid quite a bit for it on a trade, and apparently its worth quite a bit. We may have to take a loss for it, I don't know, but we just can't go too low."

"Well, I guess thats that. I don't really want to cause a big deal, but I'm going to tell you right now that while you do have a really nice car there, you're likely going to get a lot of guys like me who are very concerned about the price. I've been looking at Miatas for a while now, and I know what I'm looking for. This is a spectacular example..."

"...Right, right..."

"...But not for that much. I'm sure that there are people who don't know what they're doing that will be happy to spend $12,000 on a Miata like that, but you're likely going to get a lot of guys who are very angry with how that works too. I really like the Fox network in general, but this is a pretty big disappointment. Because at that price, its going to cost me the same as leasing a brand-new car, and that just isn't worth it. I'll still get the Mazda 3, but I'm just really disappointed in the way its all been handled."

=======

So, that sucks major ass. My brother used to work for that dealer and he said I could very easily get them all in a HUGE amount of trouble with the owners if I took the case further. Even if the car was slightly overpriced at $7000, it would make more sense, but this is just ludicrous. The EXACT reason why I tend to ignore this Ford dealer more than any other in now...
 
What do you guys think I should do? If I could talk them down to the true market value, which would be closer to $6000-7000 (at most), I'd happily buy it. Its EXACTLY what I'd be looking for.


Assuming the Miata is mechanically sound, it is worth $4,000, tops. Your buddy "Goose" probably saw how young and inexperienced you were and assumed you were a ripesuck.

$11,000 is "stupid money". Your response shouldn't be to point out it's "a little high", but to laugh in his face. Keep grinning for a minute while shaking your head slightly and chuckling, just to make your point clear.

The mileage adjustment isn't $7,000. It is more like $600.

A '94 Miata can be bought at dealer auctions all across the country for less than $1,000. One with only 42k on it is rare, but doesn't suddenly make the car triple in value.

So if you're serious about negotiating for this car, here are some things you need to keep in mind.

-The dealer probably acquired that car for less than $2,000. If they paid more than that, they screwed the pooch. And that's not your problem.

-They will hype up the low mileage to distract you from the fact that their car is basically worth chump change. Don't let them. Low mileage or not, it's still a 15 year old car. And it's a Miata ; not a gullwing Mercedes.

-Most used car dealers need to make $1,000-1,500 on a car just to pay the bills and stay in business. Everything after that is profit. So let's be generous and assume they payed the 2k to acquire the car. $3,500 would then be their absolute bottom line on this vehicle, assuming they did not need to shell out some additional money to make the car ready to sell (like tires or mechanical repairs).

I would offer them $3,200, which is low, but in ballpark. Let them know you are serious by showing up at the dealership with cash. Don't wave the money in his face, but indicate you are making a serious offer and show him the money if he doesn't believe you.

He will most likely not take your offer seriously. He'll waste your time for 10 mins and try every trick in the book to make you think you've made a mistake. You didn't. Don't forget that.

Just calmly and politely tell him you know (roughly) how much they paid for their car. And point out exactly how much profit they will make if they accept your offer. ($1,500 on a $2,000 car) He will respond to this by lying to your face and say they paid 6,000 or some such nonsense.

When he tells you this lie, just laugh and say "I'm sorry you paid too much for your car. Maybe you should hire me to be your buyer, because I won't ever get screwed like that." Smile when you say it, like you're telling him a joke. But look him in the eye and let him know you're serious.

At some point, be prepared to offer him a bit more, just to let him know you are negotiating in good faith. Either one of two things will happen: he will either blow you off or "go see his manager" to see if they'll take your offer.

If he blows you off and lets you walk away, then they probably have too much money in the car or are willing to wait for a long time to find the ripesuck who will pay $8,000 for a $2,000 car. At that point, you need to decide how much you're willing to pay for the car.

If he "goes to see his manager" then you're in the ballpark. Get ready for some serious negotiating because they will put you through the grinder. You could be there for a couple of hours going back and forth. They will send the used car manager to work on you. Maybe even the sale manager himself. Hell, one time, a salesman and I agreed on the price, and then the finance manager wanted a shot at me!

IMO, $4,000 would be a good deal on that car. Anything over 5 is excessive. But if it is EXACTLY what you are looking for, then it is up to you to decide what that's worth to you.

Oh, and of course, don't forget to get it throughly checked out. You don't want a Katrina car or one with a salvage title.


Coincidently, I'm in the middle of my own car buying process right now. We're look for a very low mileage, CPO Audi A6 or Allroad Quattro for my wife. So negotiations are very much on my mind. The info I just posted reflects my own research and experiences. I'm not guaranteeing your are going to get the best deal of your life if you follow my advice, but it does tell you how not to pay way more than you should for a used car.

And keep in mind that playing tough may ultimately backfire. A ripesuck could walk in the dealership any minute and give them exactly what they want. So ultimately, it's up to you how much ground you want to give.


M
 
Wow, my dad was able to get my sisters Focus brand new just a little more then that. Thats a brand new, nicely equipped Focus (04') for just about a grand more then that.

What my dad always does is compare the prices with printouts from the computer from other dealers. He was able to get his fully equipped Accord EX for $25k, which originally listed as 30k.

I think if you can get a Miata for that cheap at an auction, how about going to one? You might not get some other ideas of what you want.
 
That's a gerat post on haggling, M.

Another thing that might work is to set yourself a cap that you will not pay a penny over. And then give them a final offer that might be a hundred or so below that cap because they probably will try to squeeze any extra penny out of you by saying "Oh, $150. That's nothing next to the total price of the machine."

Our final negotiations on the VW came down to us saying we wouldn't put down a penny over $19,950, told them $19,750 and walked out at $19,850.

And you might try to find anything possibly wrong with the car or that shows it might have been slightly mistreated, any blemishes. That might make them willing to go just a bit lower.
 
Would you pay $4 for a $2 beer?

Even if you really wanted a beer, you'd probably baulk.

Follow your instinct. If you're looking for a Miata, look for a few more. If they aren't budging on the price this week, a month on the lot might loosen their resolve.

If you're going to make an offer, offer them stock dealer book price, an offer open for one week, and leave your number. Don't call them back. When they call you back after longer than a week, ask them what they're prepared to deal at (i.e. less than your offer.)

And meanwhile, if you're not going to do the 3 thing, keep looking with an open mind. You will find better - and not necessarily a Miata.

I looked for a '69 Camaro at a decent price for five years. What did I find? A '62 Corvette project which when finished will make 25% even if I exported it back to the US, and a '68 Cougar which (with a kick in the autobox, some panel beating and a coat of paint) is worth treble what I bought it for.

Bide your time. :)
 
That's a gerat post on haggling, M.

Thank you.

And yes, definately point out every flaw you can find. Even if you don't really care.

Bide your time. :)

^ That is also very good advice.

Buying under duress is like looking at a chick with beer goggles. You may or may not deeply regret it the morning after.


M
 
if they paid too much, thats thier problem. its not your job to subsidise stupid business men.

if they incorrectly listed it. its not your problem. same reasoning.

your problem is that you have already indicated intrest, at the already high lower price. even at the lower price you could have two miatas and have one for a rainy day. so WHY continue to persue this unicorn. its just a horse with a fake horn. its not a real unicorn.

heres what you need to do.
when they call, and they will, they know that the low price is still high, and youve indicated intrest at that lower price, tell them a few things.
1) that they overpaid on trade is thier problem.
2) the blue book, kelley and nada values are significantly lower.
3) there are tons of miatas out there that are newer, and cheaper.
4) that a miata that age would only be a max $5000 if it was
a) a rare collectible colour ie british racing green
b) a rare collectible model ie Mspec
c) had meticulous maintenance records
d) new tires
e) other extras ("heres a JDM air dam i ended up not using" etc)
5) this is the kicker. you've already been talking with a friend who knows someone who may be selling thier miata, with extras, for $4000, and your friend can vouch for its maintenance.

let them make the counteroffer. it's just a game of chicken. and if you have no vested interest in this particular car, will win.

the whole "i have to talk it over with my sales manager" and "we have another fella who is very intrested in it" speils are two of the oldest tricks in the car sales trade. dont fall for it. call them on it. if he wants to call/ talk to his manager, get the managers name. go there. talk to him. show him the values. average it, give him $500- $1000 for the low milage. maybe $200- $500 for the top. its not a new hardtop after all. tell him thats all you will pay. now. not later. no games. be prepared to walk out.

if they say, well this other guy wants it, at the listed price, say "well sell it to him then" and walk away.

when they call back, and they will, might even do it while you're walking away, you offer $200- 500 less. you're not playing games. if they don't bite walk away.
they might balk at this tactic, give em about 30 secs. if not walk. when they call you back, offer less. remember, you're serious, they are playing games. take your ipod, your gameboy. be prepared to play the game. but be firm. let them do all the talking. don't offer more than you have already offered. of course your offer should be a lowball offer. if you're prepared to pay 4K you offer 3K. stick on $3.5K. pretend thats your psychological limit. ask for freebies if they want more. free oil changes for a year etc. coz now youre going to be broke.


this car, nice as it is will only ever be just a car. its not your holy grail. its not your quest. its not collectible. its not rare. its not a special in any way car. its a low milage miata. period.

don't let the red mist cloud your judgement.
 
I just thought of this, but if I were in your shoes, I'd like to know why that Miata has an average of about 4,000 miles a year. (I'd also want to see the service records. And the Carfax.)
That's only about 350 miles a month. Which equates to a car that got driven maybe twice a week....Maybe good, maybe bad.
It would lead me to believe that in real life the car was either a garage queen, a neglected toy, or spent much of its life on the lift.

Of course in Grand Rapids, it could also just be a summer car. (the 10 minutes or so of summer y'all have...:) )

It might have a great body and suspension, but otherwise be a mechanical nightmare.
While this is usually not the case with "quality" Japanese cars...This car might be the exception.
 
Gil
I just thought of this, but if I were in your shoes, I'd like to know why that Miata has an average of about 4,000 miles a year. (I'd also want to see the service records. And the Carfax.)
That's only about 350 miles a month. Which equates to a car that got driven maybe twice a week....Maybe good, maybe bad.
It would lead me to believe that in real life the car was either a garage queen, a neglected toy, or spent much of its life on the lift.

Of course in Grand Rapids, it could also just be a summer car. (the 10 minutes or so of summer y'all have...:) )

It might have a great body and suspension, but otherwise be a mechanical nightmare.
While this is usually not the case with "quality" Japanese cars...This car might be the exception.


very good point, I'm always wary of cars with "too good to be true" mileage, it's also possible it could be the incorrect mileage. But a car sitting for long periods is less than ideal for sure.
 
They're pretty much aware that I've walked away from the deal. I said my peace and left, pushed a few of their "service excellence" buttons while doing so, and hopefully made a point.

If you're going to be douchebags and try to screw customers over, so be it. Just don't expect me to give you any of my money.

The thing I can't fathom is why all of the rest of the Fox network is so nice, understanding, and just plain cool... And yet these Ford guys and the Honda dealer next door are absolute bloody *****. This isn't the first time that they've tried to screw with me on a used car, I looked at a GTO a while back and they pulled much of the same thing. Its absolutely amazing how they're supposed to be THE Ford dealer in West Michigan and yet have such a horrible reputation with customers.

====

As for getting other stuff, I'm not in a huge hurry. My brother bought a scooter last week, so I've pretty much had a car when I need it for as long as I need it. I'll have a car by the end of the summer, which gives me more time to think things though. I may go back to Volkswagen and have a butchers with a Rabbit again, but the Mazda (so far) looks to be the best option. Wait long enough and I may be able to catch them while they try to shove their inventory out this summer...
 
As for getting other stuff, I'm not in a huge hurry. My brother bought a scooter last week, so I've pretty much had a car when I need it for as long as I need it. I'll have a car by the end of the summer, which gives me more time to think things though. I may go back to Volkswagen and have a butchers with a Rabbit again, but the Mazda (so far) looks to be the best option. Wait long enough and I may be able to catch them while they try to shove their inventory out this summer...

Find something else to keep your mind on other than getting a car because that is EXACTLY what you need to be doing. With the new MZ3 being shown later this year, expect the last remaining 3's to be REALLY cheap. Maybe then you can find one you REALLY want.

Im telling you, having that extra space in the back with a 5-door is super awesome, regardless of a VW or Mazda.
 
Drove one of these today:

url


FAIL

I'm not sure what it was, but it just didn't feel "right" at all. Not even remotely close to right. As a matter of fact, it was almost wrong. Too wrong. Just not for me.

First things first, its a little expensive. For $18,000 I'd think you're getting less than what is available at the local Mazda or Toyota dealer (which is sad), and I think you could even make a decent arguement that you could even get more with the Pontiac G5. The interior is where I was most-disappointed, it felt cheap, and I really don't like the look of it at all.

That being said, it isn't a terrible car...

I think that for someone who is looking for something "American," for a somewhat decent price, with some decent standard equipment, it would be a great car. Its very much an A --> B car like a Toyota, which will make some people happy, just not me. Too bad, really. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. I still want to give an XR 3-door with a stick a try, but I'm thinking that no matter what, its between the VW and the Mazda now.
 
How about buying all three and being done with it! :lol:
 
Back