YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,191 views
You're still looking at a Rabbit? Glad to see all is not lost...

That said, this doesn't sound like real great news for GM. Hopefully the new one that should be coming around in a few years will be better.
 
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the interior was cheap.
 
I think that for someone who is looking for something "American," for a somewhat decent price, with some decent standard equipment, it would be a great car.

Except the bit about where they're looking for something "American".


We've had it 3 years already. It's a pup.
 
Its "American" in the sense that it has a Saturn badge on the hood, but thats it. There was a HUGE sticker in the front window saying that it was built in Antwerp, which I found funny. A German-designed car, plastics that seem Japanese circa-2000, built in Belgium, sold as an American car in the US.

Huh.

It feels old, thats the thing I got. To be honest, it really reminded me a lot of the MKIV Jetta, which is both a good and bad thing. My problem with it was that it just didn't feel "organic" whatsoever. It was German, there isn't any way around that, but it was more Mercedes (you tell it what to do, it will think about it) than BMW (you don't have to tell it, it reads your mind)... Not my style.

I'm almost certain that I'm going down with the Mazda. Volkswagen my try to woo me one more time, with nice weather I may go drive one again tomorrow, but the 3 is still the safe bet.
 
Nor was I impressed with the Astra, either. I mean, the MS3 I sat in at the car show a couple weeks ago was miles better than the XR 3-door inside, and the MS3 was lacking it's shift knob. Did your Astra have that rubbery shifter and stalks behind the wheel?

On second note, choose one already! the suspense is killing me!
 
The stalks were just plain bonkers... I don't like them at all. You flick 'em for or five times because you don't think they're engaged, its just silly. Not to mention all of the odd placements of buttons, or ones that are marked in odd symbols and such... Its like going to China and trying to order a Big Mac but not knowing how to say "Number One" in mandarin.

I think that there are a lot of people out there who would like this car a lot, and I'm not going to say that it is an outright horrible car, its just not what I would want. Something just didn't feel right about it.
 
Pretty much the same conclusion I came up with. I also enjoyed Harassing the dealer rep about it. Ah, well.
 
The stalks were just plain bonkers... I don't like them at all. You flick 'em for or five times because you don't think they're engaged, its just silly. Not to mention all of the odd placements of buttons, or ones that are marked in odd symbols and such... Its like going to China and trying to order a Big Mac but not knowing how to say "Number One" in mandarin.

I think that there are a lot of people out there who would like this car a lot, and I'm not going to say that it is an outright horrible car, its just not what I would want. Something just didn't feel right about it.
It didn't feel right because it's German. This car is even more German than Volkswagen. I mean, come on, you flick the turn signal stalk to the right, and then down a little bit to turn it off. There's no clicker on it. And it dings three times instead of just once, like every other car in the American market. This thing is about 95% German market. Which apparently isn't a good thing for you, but I'd rock it.
 
I think that for someone who is looking for something "American," for a somewhat decent price, with some decent standard equipment, it would be a great car.
If the Cobalt didn't already exist.
 
Drove one of these today:

url


FAIL

I'm not sure what it was, but it just didn't feel "right" at all. Not even remotely close to right. As a matter of fact, it was almost wrong. Too wrong. Just not for me.

First things first, its a little expensive. For $18,000 I'd think you're getting less than what is available at the local Mazda or Toyota dealer (which is sad), and I think you could even make a decent arguement that you could even get more with the Pontiac G5. The interior is where I was most-disappointed, it felt cheap, and I really don't like the look of it at all.

That being said, it isn't a terrible car...

I think that for someone who is looking for something "American," for a somewhat decent price, with some decent standard equipment, it would be a great car. Its very much an A --> B car like a Toyota, which will make some people happy, just not me. Too bad, really. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. I still want to give an XR 3-door with a stick a try, but I'm thinking that no matter what, its between the VW and the Mazda now.
Not surprised. I drove one in Germany as a rental in 2006, and the interior is crap to say the least, and uncomfortable as well. I like the looks of the Astra VXR in europe and the powerplant it has, but that's about it, I'd never want to drive one.
 
If the Cobalt didn't already exist.

I'd have the Astra over the Cobalt, I think. The G5, notsomuch. The problem with the Delta cars is that they're a bit too on/off, and the regular Cobalt is nothing to shake a stick at. Neither is the Astra, in the end (sadly).

So, we continue to wait for the C1-Focus... Wait until 2011...
 
I'd have the Astra over the Cobalt, I think.
I simply don't see enough of a difference (if any) in quality for the Astra to be worth so much more, especially with its power defecit. I haven't driven an Astra, but I have ridden in one. Really, really bleh (coming from someone whose family owns two domestic compact cars).
​
 
All is strange here on Earth 616, between unexpected medical bills and other family emergencies, my plan for getting a brand-new Mazda has been placed on hold seemingly forever. Although with my current budget as-is, it seems as though I should be able to scrape enough cash together hopefully by the end of June or July to get something... Anything... And finally have my own wheels again (trust me, the Camry is absolutely dreadful).

So, a bit of news:

Jenna who has passed, has passed again...

My friend who I sold it to told me yesterday that his Dad's lot sold it to some random guy. Apparently he was looking for MKIII Jettas, he ended up buying three of them off of his Dad's lot. So, it does make me a little sad to hear that she won't get fixed up and be sold off to a kid with hopes and dreams of a new German lass, but, I have to move on.

====

And then I found this:

6984118817.243873081.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

6984118818.243873081.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

6984118820.243873081.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg


A 1995 Honda Civic Si with 107,000 miles on the clock...

Hes asking $4700, which seems a bit high. I'm calling my Dad here in a few minutes to get what he thinks (Mom and brother give it a thumbs up!), and go from there. Its not that I'm desperate for a car, but money is tight, and I'm beginning to think I can't afford something brand-new.

What do you guys think?

I know there are some Honda experts out there, and I'm pretty well-aware that there are billions of parts available for it. I assume insurance is "cheap," although I haven't done any official research.

EDIT: Talked to Dad he likes the idea... So I'm going to give him a call on Monday.
 
you nailed it.

price is a little high, but i say go for it.

buy used. spend your money where it can work for you. not against you.
 
That's the best Civic too, being the only modern Civic to still be safe, yet also be fun and lightweight too (the EK managed it too, but the hatchback version wasn't as good).
 
yk, I've only heard of 4wd's going for that at that age. 4500 for 107k? puh-lease. someone wanted 4g for an 88 tempo in 95, and I think it was at 120k.

yo, make sure it isn't 'radio Stripped' like my current vehicle is.
 
Internets say that its worth about $3500, private. I'll talk to him about it on Monday, hopefully get him down to $4000. I'm willing to work with that, it sounds like a good deal. Its a good platform at which to improve things, if needed. And should anything break, it seems as though it would be fairly cheap to operate as well.
 
I see quarter panel rust, but other than that, as long as it's a manual, go for it.

and then just get some decent 15inch wheels and a small drop and you'll have a great looking car.
 
My brother does body work in his spare time (not at an official job yet) and he says he could fix in over a weekend if I get it. So, I'm not too worried about that, although I do know how well rust can go through a Honda if you don't watch it.

As far as parts were concerned, I'd be looking at simple and otherwise minimal things. Grandpa has a set of wheels that should be able to fit it (90s BBS wheels as I recall, from his Prelude), and a set of springs would be a must-have. I'd eventually do an exhaust, probably, but I don't like the loud/overdone things.

---

Everyone in the family is on-board, I've gotta see if the car is still for sale, drive it, and get a bank loan. Hopefully it can be sorted-out before Friday...
 
yk, I've only heard of 4wd's going for that at that age. 4500 for 107k? puh-lease.

+1

Far too high. Even $4k is high. Hell, $2k is high - the car is pathetic and old.
 
It and its immediate successor are better than any Civic made before or since.
 
Suggest you PM VEXD about a Civic of this vintage. He's just driven one round the Nurburgring. :drool:
Guess you'd get a very, very good opinion of what a >100,000 mile Civic is like from someone that owns one. 💡

VEXD does the Nurburgring....
 
Because one came up, and YSS thinks he can cut a deal. It IS an EG6 Si. would be interesting to see what happens.

It'd be less expensive than a Mazda 3, BUT, it is older, not as powerful, although a bit lighter, and perhaps a little more tossable. and I dont' know at all how they drive. Insurance MAY be a problem, especially with that Si badge, thanks to the teenage population.
 
not only that, it'll be easy on fuel unless he overhype's it (i could use something that small for my town hauls, personally, but the only civics around here are rotted out EF's)

M5: apparently, you never saw what I got stuck with. how bout an 83 Celebrity AND an 83 Camry in 97/98! i get the pathetic ones :P
 
+1

Far too high. Even $4k is high. Hell, $2k is high - the car is pathetic and old.

Agree, $4000 is a big ask of the seller you can get a car with lower miles for that.

Oh and I found the Autotrader page for it. It doesn't have A/C! I couldn't even imagine trying to drive around during a humid Michigan summer without A/C.

And just for kicks have you looked at this little guy? It's a VW.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ransmission=&doors=&max_price=4500&cardist=10
 
Yes!

Brad, these cars are unusually expensive, and us enthusiasts are usually okay with paying a price that seems more fit for a much newer car. But that's what you get when you find a car that people actually want. And that's pretty much why it's so "expensive", because people want it. And you want it. And you will love it.

What you're looking at is a ~2300 pound car equipped with a D16Z6 that churns out 125hp and 106lb-ft of torque, and runs up to a 7200rpm redline. It's quite low compression compared to a B-series, at 9.2:1, but of course that can be fixed. :sly: You should drive it. It'll have old car problems, no doubt--wobbly shifter, interior rattles, used car smell, and all that sort of stuff. But it'll have satisfying performance (and will be about as quick as that Mazda 3i). Oh, and it'll get fantastic fuel mileage and will be manageable in winter. But be careful, because I don't believe it's equipped with ABS...

EDIT:
+1

Far too high. Even $4k is high. Hell, $2k is high - the car is pathetic and old.
Stifle it! You're just jealous that the only thing your Audi does better than this Si or my Si is be comfortable and require many trips to the shop. At 107,000 miles that engine is just now ready to take on track day after track day. And you know it!
 

Come on. Brad's tossed around the idea of a Miata an a Mazda 3, and now we're looking at a fifteen-year-old Civic? No air-con and 107k for $4500 and you're rolling your eyes at ME?
 
Come on. Brad's tossed around the idea of a Miata an a Mazda 3, and now we're looking at a fifteen-year-old Civic? No air-con and 107k for $4500 and you're rolling your eyes at ME?

EDIT:
Stifle it! You're just jealous that the only thing your Audi does better than this Si or my Si is be comfortable and require many trips to the shop. At 107,000 miles that engine is just now ready to take on track day after track day. And you know it!
+1, QFT


Not to mention it passes his criteria with flying colors, and a lot better than his other recent choices, except for the Miata, and that would be hell in winter anyways, so it's still a better choice in the end.

As for A/C, you can just open the windows, that's what I've been doing for 2 years, it's not such a problem.

So yes, I was rolling my eyes at YOU.

EDIT: Have you noticed that you and Joey are the only ones so far that thinks it's a bad idea? The price is a bit high, but if you can get it down to low 4ks, for that condition, it's a good price. It has low enough miles that reliability should not be close to an issue, and it's also the "better" model.
 
Back